Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bisto... More like pissto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Ratjaculation posted:

Bisto... More like pissto

The infamous yellow pesto

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
As a kid I used to think the lumpy bits in Bisto were tadpoles.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I wonder what the ratio was like in Consett in the 90s :v:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1165542074088939522

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

HJB posted:

In smaller towns and villages it used to be one per 100 or less, until millennials something something and all the pubs closed.

Bristol in the 2nd half of the 19th century had nearly 1000 places licensed to sell alcohol lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

If this is true and not just a joke, this sounds like both of them are off in their own little world and having two effectively different conversations at the same time.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm actually interested in what the usual pubs-per-person range is.

ONS study at the end of last year says nationally it's 5.8 pubs per 10,000 people, so 1724 people per pub. In my town it feels like it's mainly the suburban pubs around the outskirts that have closed down. There's still just as many in the town centre and pretty much every village still has at least one. Village I grew up in still has two although the one I used to work in has transitioned into more of a restaurant/B&B.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Libluini posted:

If this is true and not just a joke, this sounds like both of them are off in their own little world and having two effectively different conversations at the same time.

Boris is trying to steer Trump towards trade deal specifics. It's not working, because Trump has no means or motive for being specific about trade deal minutiae.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Boris is either unaware of massive shipping routes, or lying out his rear end again

oh wait, i know the answer!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

When my family moved to the place they currently live, in 1990, there were 4 pubs for a village of about 900 people. 150 of those people were Primary School age, with similar numbers also of Secondary School age. So 4 for 600 people of drinking age. Very cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I walk past 4 pubs on the way to work but one of them is basically more of a hotel now and another one is the local racists pub which is always covered in England flags and was plastered with UKIP posters last election.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pretty sure this would require a change of law in the US, I think it's illegal for foreign ships to ship poo poo between US cities.

We can, however do this within the EU no bother. For now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ratjaculation posted:

Boris is either unaware of massive shipping routes, or lying out his rear end again

oh wait, i know the answer!
The implication seems to be that only American companies (or at least not EU companies) are allowed to ship domestically within the US.

e: That's what I get for leaving the reply window open while doing other poo poo. Anyway, what marktheando said is what I suspected might be the case.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

happyhippy posted:

As a kid I used to think the lumpy bits in Bisto were tadpoles.

Ah! Bisto - The Original Tadpole-based Gravy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

wikipedia posted:

In the United States, the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (Jones Act) requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents. The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 states that no foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port.

Hmm yes I'm sure the yanks will be happy to scrap this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

marktheando posted:

There is one way Brits could get in on that action...

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Boris is just terrible at geography and thought the best port for US ships to dock at in the UK would be Boston, in Lincolnshire

Seriously though why the gently caress would UK ships be interested in shipping cargo domestically around the US? I don't get what he was going for

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

lol
but if Johnson said ‘cabotage’ he definitely knew what ports he was talking about. chances that Trump knows the term and didn't just bluff through rather than ask seem quite low though

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Yeah but like, offering your merchant fleet to do cabotage for an undeveloped nation I can kinda see, but the United loving States? I think they've got enough ships chief

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Pochoclo posted:

Boris is just terrible at geography and thought the best port for US ships to dock at in the UK would be Boston, in Lincolnshire

Seriously though why the gently caress would UK ships be interested in shipping cargo domestically around the US? I don't get what he was going for

Well, if you could trick Trump into doing it (possible depending on his mood) and get it through congress (lol) then British companies could put their flag on cheap ships, crew them with people from the global south who will work for low wages, and undercut the American shipping companies currently running those routes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Sounds like someone is doubting that Britannia rules the waves

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

marktheando posted:

The only time there's talk of repealing the Jones Act is when there's disasters at our possessions in the Caribbean. It makes shipping there relatively more expensive. I'm not sure how much the cries to repeal have to do with making GBS threads all over our merchant mariners, however.

On the speeding ticket thing: over here it's generally a criminal offence...in many states you can lose your driver's license over it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

marktheando posted:

Sounds like someone is doubting that Britannia rules the waves
Boris' Britain: Trades away whatever it takes to give ships flying under a British flag the rights to ship to and from anywhere on the planet. Britainnia rules the waves, using foreign-built ships run with foreign labour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
cabotage

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

oh my god it's a British barge
I'm telling all y'all it's cabotage

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Smush the Caboteurs

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I can't stand May, I know you planned it
I'mma set it straight, this Brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't stand experts when I'm in here
'Cause my crystal ball says they're project fear

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
My sister's getting married in a big blow-out wedding, and me and the family went to scout wedding venues with her and her fiancée. They'd decided on this big stately home a few miles away, and we were looking around it when we found a 'disco' that turned out to be an actual, no-poo poo sex dungeon. That was kind of awkward.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

no-poo poo sex dungeon
Everyone has their limit.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Now will all the single women please get onto the dance floor please, for 'Catching of the Gimp'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone has their limit.

I'm not sure that was a limit. The floor looked like it could be easily hosed down, and the room smelled very strange.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Tying in with the freeport thing, the ultra-dries want us to be a flag of convenience for international shipping - if we were to be able to break the internal US market (which is absolutely loving huge) that would be a colossal advantage for that scheme.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

My sister's getting married in a big blow-out wedding, and me and the family went to scout wedding venues with her and her fiancée. They'd decided on this big stately home a few miles away, and we were looking around it when we found a 'disco' that turned out to be an actual, no-poo poo sex dungeon. That was kind of awkward.

Especially when she slapped the deposit down there and then.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Diet Crack posted:

Lol if the cricket is anything to go by, English people are loving delusional.

“England all out for 67 in less than 30 overs, its now 144-4 to Australia in the second innings.....

CAN ENGLAND CAUSE AN UPSET AND CAUSE AN AUSTRALIAN COLLAPSE!?!?”

Two world wars, one world cup, and one victory in the third test of the Ashes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

British Navy as a franchise operation is actually kinda brilliant as "what if empire but even more capitalist"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
My prospective guest bedroom had a bed covered in gold leaf, the toilet had photos on the walls of Charles and Camilla joking with the house owners about shooting people, and one of the bathrooms had a giant pit in the floor next to the bathtub that was covered by a glass sheet.

There was a fresh grave in the church graveyard next door. Maybe I should have paid a little more attention to that.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Darth Walrus posted:

My prospective guest bedroom had a bed covered in gold leaf, the toilet had photos on the walls of Charles and Camilla joking with the house owners about shooting people, and one of the bathrooms had a giant pit in the floor next to the bathtub that was covered by a glass sheet.

There was a fresh grave in the church graveyard next door. Maybe I should have paid a little more attention to that.

Is there going to be any room for your great dane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, bail bonds are American thing - that's why we don't have bail bondsmen advertising all over the place. If they think you'll turn up in court then you go home for the low price of nothing. If they think there's a risk you won't, it's jail for you and money won't get you out of it (legally, anyway).

You know, I genuinely didn't know this! I just assumed we had regulations about advertising for it and that our amounts were probably more reasonable.

Give us the cabotage, Don!