Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Budzilla posted:

I have the Aorus Pro Wifi. The software is a little bloated for my liking but it's been pretty stable. I've been playing games and there seems to be some instabilty with older game titles but I put that down to Radeon divers and possibly BIOS. The only reason why I got this mobo was it was on special near me and it was priced near the lower tiered Aorus Elite. It made it preferable to get that then buy a wifi card too.

Hmm, good to know, thanks!. Will keep that in mind when the labor day sales start and I start ordering parts. I'm not sure what to anticipate in terms of what items will go on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The B85 mobo on my friend's 4790K has gone flaky and he will be upgrading to a 3600 + MSI B450M Mortar.

I haven't been following the AMD mobo scene lately but It's weird to see the MSI Mortar and Tomahawk are the only B450 boards with good VRMs.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The OEM's 'cost optimized' the B450 mobos thoroughly.

X470 pretty much is the de facto minimum for significantly better or good VRM's. X470 is now becoming depreciated in favor of X570 (which is a pretty decent step in build quality and VRM over X470 but prices also tend to be much higher so its not practical for everyone to go that route) for now though hopefully with the B550 chipsets the mobo vendors improve the VRM's there some too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Plenty of B450 mainboards have VRMs that are perfectly up to the task of powering the Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPUs up to 8 cores, are we comparing Buildzoid "not worth it unless it has 20 phases and can manually OC a 16 core CPU to 5 GHz" videos again?

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 25, 2019

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Stickman posted:

Try using the Ryzen RAM calculator and setting your timings manually. It'll also probably have the bonus effect of giving you a better setting for tRFC (the number of cycles spend refreshing memory rows), which can be a pretty significant performance improvement.

Manually updated to Windows 1903, and found that my mobo (MSI x570-a PRO) had an outdated BIOS out of the box, it came with an early June BIOS, so flashed that the latest official release (from early July, still before Zen 2 dropped) and today I tried out XMP again, seems to be stable now (RAM's running at 3600MHz). One weird thing though, looking in task manager, it's no longer listing the speed or the number of sticks. The right hand column of the info only says 'hardware reserved: 0.0 petabytes'. Anyone ever seen that? What gives?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

The Rat posted:

Hmm, good to know, thanks!. Will keep that in mind when the labor day sales start and I start ordering parts. I'm not sure what to anticipate in terms of what items will go on sale.

I think you'll be okay with whatever board you end up with. Like other have said, almost every B450 board would handle the new 8 core parts too.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 25, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orcane posted:

Plenty of B450 mainboards have VRMs that are perfectly up to the task of powering the Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPUs up to 8 cores, are we comparing Buildzoid "not worth it unless it has 20 phases and can manually OC a 16 core CPU to 5 GHz" videos again?

Up to 12 cores, for many of them. Almost every B450 board is fine for 3rd-gen 8-core boards (though the 2700X is a different matter). "Good enough for a 3900X" is primarily MSi boards, but here's the list, based on this excellent analysis

Fine for 3900X or 2700X:
ATX -
MSi B450-A Pro, MSi B450 Tomahawk, MSi B450 Gaming Plus, MSi B450 Pro Carbon AC

mATX -
MSi B450M Gaming Plus, MSi B450M Bazooka Plus, MSi Mortar [Titanium]

ITX -
Asus RoG STRIX B450-I Gaming
MSi B450I Gaming Plus AC

Fine for 3700X/3800X or 2700 (non-X):
ASRock: Everything except the B450M HDV R4.0
Asus: Everything except the Prime B450M-A and -K
Gigabyte: Everything
MSi: Everything except most of the B450M Bazooka, Pro-M2, and Pro-VDH mATX lines (the Bazooka Plus and Pro-VDH Plus are okay)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 25, 2019

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Anyone know if its possible to use the Ryzen RAM calculator for a Linux system with no Windows installed? I have Windows on another non-Ryzen computer, so I could run it without resorting to WINE.

From watching tutorial of how it works, it doesn't appear to require being on the same system with the RAM unless you use the auto-read function or whatever it was called.
And I guess importing data from Typhoon Burner is also out of the question, but besides those two things, I should be able to manually enter the info?

On Linux, I know command "dmidecode -t 17" reports some info on the RAM modules, but not a ton of detail, (not sure about the exact die type for ex):
code:
Handle 0x0030, DMI type 17, 84 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x0027
        Error Information Handle: 0x002F
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 8192 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM_A2
        Bank Locator: BANK 1
        Type: DDR4
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Speed: 3000 MT/s
        Manufacturer: Corsair
        Serial Number: 00000000
        Asset Tag: Not Specified
        Part Number: CMK16GX4M2D3000C16
        Configured Clock Speed: 3000 MT/s
        Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.2 V
Any other magic commands to get super secret RAM info?

e: Also somewhat concerning is that the dmidecode info seems to be wrong about the voltage, which is 1.35V according to BIOS with DOCP enabled.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 25, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Azuren posted:

Manually updated to Windows 1903, and found that my mobo (MSI x570-a PRO) had an outdated BIOS out of the box, it came with an early June BIOS, so flashed that the latest official release (from early July, still before Zen 2 dropped) and today I tried out XMP again, seems to be stable now (RAM's running at 3600MHz). One weird thing though, looking in task manager, it's no longer listing the speed or the number of sticks. The right hand column of the info only says 'hardware reserved: 0.0 petabytes'. Anyone ever seen that? What gives?

This seems to be a relatively common bug with 1903 and X570, but I haven't seen anyone post a fix. I'd check CPU-Z or HWINFO64 to make sure the RAM is running at the proper speed and just ignore it for now unless you start getting BSoDs.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Such an easy trap. I watched like a million hours of youtube and was all "but the VRM heat sinks" and then had to remind myself I'm putting an 80w cpu in and if the next generation draws a lot more power I'll just buy a new mobo then because I won't have a ton invested in this one.

Azuren posted:

I have the same 0.0 peterbytes. No speed either. 3600/Asus X470 Prime Pro, with in 3200mhz XMP RAM.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

monsterzero posted:

Such an easy trap. I watched like a million hours of youtube and was all "but the VRM heat sinks" and then had to remind myself I'm putting an 80w cpu in and if the next generation draws a lot more power I'll just buy a new mobo then because I won't have a ton invested in this one.

Yeah, unless you're putting in top-end power-hungry CPUs or trying to competitively overclock, most boards have "good enough" VRM and it's pretty much just a matter of extra features at that point (onboard audio/wifi, usb ports, m.2 slots, etc).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I haven't heard such fussing over VRMs in 20 years of building computers as has happened in the last few years.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Tbf, comprehensive reviewing of motherboards is pretty new and it blows my mind how many options there are now.

Not that my selection process isn’t roughly the same I was using two decades ago: pick a chipset, determine which manufacturer burned me last, but their midrange offering. Partially because the things I care about most can’t be addressed in a timely review, for example long term reliability and driver/BIOS quality.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Stickman posted:

This seems to be a relatively common bug with 1903 and X570, but I haven't seen anyone post a fix. I'd check CPU-Z or HWINFO64 to make sure the RAM is running at the proper speed and just ignore it for now unless you start getting BSoDs.

Ryzen Master shows the memory clock at 1800 and fabric clock at 1800 so that should be correct for 3600, right? Think everything's finally solid! Feels good man. Been loving with this build for four days now :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can you fidget with timings in any particular order? My "safe" timings don't work for whatever reason so I thought I could make the most of it and just enable them one by one and do a restart to see if it works.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Good ol' Igor, formerly of TomsHW Germany but independent since it shut down, took a closer look at some entry level X570 boards among the confusion about Zen2 Bioses and clocks.
The article is here, but google translate is probably gonna struggle with his style: https://www.igorslab.media/drei-x57...he-performance/
Page 1 is numbers are for stock, BIOS default settings; page 2 is PBO with a 95W PPT limit set.
I'll try to summarize the findings

Asus Prime X570-P
3600X got 4076MHz average with 108W on the EPS-12V (Bios default), of which a calculated 92W actually reached the CPU cores
4031MHz pulling 98W (PBO/95W limit). Cores got 83W

++ equipped with DrMOS and SiC639 Power Stages, ~95% efficiency. Exemplary in this price segment
- Sensors are very inaccurate. Don't trust anything sensor-reading software tells you about power consumption with this board
-- Chipset fan airflow is blocked by typical bulky GPUs and the bloody thing gets loud
Not a bad buy if you want the best VRM setup and can live/tinker with the chipset fan.

MSI X570-A Pro
4061MHz with 119W (default), cores got 88W
3953MHz with 97W (PBO/95W limit), cores got 65W

- poor efficiency compared to the Asus, about what you'd expect in this lowend segment
+ the only board of the bunch with reliable sensor readings
+ chipset cooler fan is well regulated, with zero fan mode if temps allow it
Not a bad choice if you can live with the reduced efficiency

ASRock X570 Pro 4
4073MHz with 122W (default), 92W actually reached cores
4073MHz with 122W (PBO/95W limit set), 92W reached CPU
This board straight up ignores all user settings and goes full ham. It was disqualified, the Bios is buggy af and 'concerning' for the well-being of CPUs. Same poor efficiency as the MSI and the sensors were laughably off.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 26, 2019

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Good ol' Igor, formerly of TomsHW Germany but independent since it shut down, took a closer look at some entry level X570 boards among the confusion about Zen2 Bioses and clocks.

Thanks for posting this. I was considering the MSI A-Pro but was fraught with indecision between all the low end x570. Though I'm holding off in general since it seems like there are a lot of bios and other issues that my computer illiterate self could not deal with if I had them happen to me.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dead Goon posted:

I haven't heard such fussing over VRMs in 20 years of building computers as has happened in the last few years.

Overclocking nerds always cared. I think there are probably several reasons for why it wasn't a thing in mainstream PC builder consciousness for a long time but I rather suspect one of them might be that consumer CPU core counts suddenly started exploding the other year, and power draw following along of course. The Intel 4-cores pretty much thermal throttled on their terrible TIM before power started becoming a real issue too.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

It seems GlobalFoundries thinks suing TSMC is more profitable than making 7nm chips. Is there anything in particular they want from this, or are they just emulating SCO and turning themselves into a patent troll?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

ufarn posted:

Can you fidget with timings in any particular order? My "safe" timings don't work for whatever reason so I thought I could make the most of it and just enable them one by one and do a restart to see if it works.

That's the general method I've seen suggested. Set everything high/slow, and then start lowering one by one until things fail, then set it a bit above that. I made one attempt at safe settings, which didn't even post. I'm going to try lowering values one by one to just above what the calculator recommends. Going from CL17 to CL14 may have been too much of a jump for this 3600MT g.skill ram.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Golluk posted:

That's the general method I've seen suggested. Set everything high/slow, and then start lowering one by one until things fail, then set it a bit above that. I made one attempt at safe settings, which didn't even post. I'm going to try lowering values one by one to just above what the calculator recommends. Going from CL17 to CL14 may have been too much of a jump for this 3600MT g.skill ram.
Oh hey what's up G.Skill RAM bud. I'll have to dive into the GN articles about which things to fidget with first then.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

B-Mac posted:

I think you'll be okay with whatever board you end up with. Like other have said, almost every B450 board would handle the new 8 core parts too.

I ordered the X570 Steel Legend Wifi today and I think I hosed up.

My build list includes a Samsung 970 1tb drive, which I already have in hand. I didn't think much of it because PC Part Picker didn't give me any compatibility issues, and I always just thought hard drives in general were plug and play.

Then today as I was looking up which M2 slot it should go in as the boot drive, I stumbled across this, saying that the 1tb 970 isn't compatible and won't be recognized in the X570 Steel Legend. Sure enough I went to ASRock's site for the Steel Legend and they have a list of M2 hard drives it's compatible with. The 970 1tb isn't on there, and it doesn't look like there are any 1tb M2s on there. The BIOS updates don't appear to mention any hard drive compatibility updates either.

FUUUUCK. :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

The motherboard is currently en route from Newegg, and has a replacement only return policy. So no sending it back to them.

I am at least glad that I found this out before putting the whole thing together and not having it boot. That would have been much more frustrating.

Right now the options I can see are:

1. Order another motherboard (probably the aformentioned X570 Aorus Pro Wifi) and sell the NIB Steel Legend on SA Mart here or something like that.
2. Sell the hard drive and replace it with a smaller, lesser drive that does fit the Steel Legend's compatibility list. (It is also still NIB.)

Both of those options kinda suck, but I'm leaning more towards option one.

What say you, goons? Is there anything I'm missing here?

The Rat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 28, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I think you're stressing out over nothing. Your drive will work with your new motherboard. The reddit post is most likely a broken hardware issue, not a compatibility one.

ASrock probably doesn't have the 1tb versions of the Samsung 970s listed in their QVL because they're expensive and they have the exact same controller as the lower capacity drives. The QVL is a listing of components that they have tested and verified works, not "these are the only components that work on our board".

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 28, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, none of ASRock's B450 boards have >256 970 Evos listed as QVL and I've seen a lot people pair those without issue. It's most like a problem with their specific motherboard or drive.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 28, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a MSI x570 board and the nvme controller and the RTX 2070 USB3 controller keep spitting WHEA-Logger "a corrected hardware error has occurred" message at me every few hours, should I give a poo poo?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In all probability the vendor just didn't bother to validate any drives bigger than 256GB.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

ufarn posted:

Oh hey what's up G.Skill RAM bud. I'll have to dive into the GN articles about which things to fidget with first then.

I tried dropping the first 8 or so settings the calculator gives down halfway to the safe numbers, and all seems good so for. Should be more room to go though. I'm only at 51GB/s read and 79ns latency. It did recommend 1.45 volts for Dram, which seems a bit on the high side from what I've read. Unless I'm just confusing that with CPU voltage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Rat posted:

Sure enough I went to ASRock's site for the Steel Legend and they have a list of M2 hard drives it's compatible with.

Bruh. I also own an ASRock (A320) mobo that initially didn’t work with my Samsung M2. So first of all I’ll say a BIOS update eventually fixed it so just try updating BIOS and using it normally first.

If it doesn’t work, you can buy M2 to SATA boards on eBay, AliExpress, etc and use it that way. You don’t get the minimalist satisfaction of so much storage being a little add-in board screwed into your motherboard, but you can still use the drive in most cases. They’re a couple bucks at most and beat changing components over this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I never understood all this validation crap. You'd think that standardized hardware interfaces and protocols like PCIe and NVMe are supposed to make it unnecessary.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Are the Ryzen power plans included in their chipset driver installer meaningful? It absolutely seems like the kind of pointless bloatware a manufacturer would bung in with the important stuff, but my 3700x is the first AMD processor I've ever had so maybe things are different over here.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lightningproof posted:

Are the Ryzen power plans included in their chipset driver installer meaningful? It absolutely seems like the kind of pointless bloatware a manufacturer would bung in with the important stuff, but my 3700x is the first AMD processor I've ever had so maybe things are different over here.

The new Ryzen3000 plans are supposed to enable the Windows scheduler to adjust CPU frequency a lot more rapidly and fine-grained than it normally can.
What it actually does for performance, eh :shrug:

Zen1 had a similar thing that would disable core parking when idle, it got rolled into one the recent large Win10 updates eventually.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Well it seems like all y'all say it should work, and I've been checking completed builds on PC part picker with that motherboard and many of them have M2 hard drives that aren't on the manufacturer support list. So I guess we'll see when all the parts come in. :v:

The manual still didn't answer my question though, what M2 slot should I set the boot drive in? Or does it even matter?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Rat posted:

Well it seems like all y'all say it should work, and I've been checking completed builds on PC part picker with that motherboard and many of them have M2 hard drives that aren't on the manufacturer support list. So I guess we'll see when all the parts come in. :v:

The manual still didn't answer my question though, what M2 slot should I set the boot drive in? Or does it even matter?

They should be just like a SATA port, it shouldn't matter *some boards disable SATA ports when you use certain M.2 slots if you plan on using only 1 M.2 drive and also every single SATA port you may need to actually care.

If you have a choice, the one furthest from a heat source such as your graphics card if the best spot, don't cook your drive SSDs slow down when they get too hot, and I don't see why nvme would be different.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

The Rat posted:

On the AM4 platform one of the M.2 slots should be directly connected to the CPU (usually the first slot) so you'll want to use that one. It shouldn't make a speed difference but it does mean your SSD won't be sharing PCIe bandwidth with all the other peripherals in your system.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hmm, so the M2.1 slot looks like it's basically right under the graphics card, while the M2.2 slot is a lot lower down and further away from it. So from a heat perspective the 2 slot makes more sense, but if the 1 slot is directly connected to the CPU then that could be advantageous, right? But then again if it gets too hot, that's no good either.

The manual doesn't say anything about one slot or the other being direct, but I could be missing something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Rat posted:

Hmm, so the M2.1 slot looks like it's basically right under the graphics card, while the M2.2 slot is a lot lower down and further away from it. So from a heat perspective the 2 slot makes more sense, but if the 1 slot is directly connected to the CPU then that could be advantageous, right? But then again if it gets too hot, that's no good either.

The manual doesn't say anything about one slot or the other being direct, but I could be missing something.

It'll say "if you use this slot, you lose the use of SATA ports X...Z and PCIe slot Y" for the indirectly connected one.

Or well it does on my X470 :v:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, I've seen that kind of verbiage before in my current motherboard manual, but this one is lacking it entirely.

I suppose the huge heat sink size means that placement shouldn't matter too much, right?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Unless you’re hammering the poo poo outta that SSD or your case has terrible airflow I don’t think temps should be an issue. My Inland Premium NVMe boot drive just sits at 29C over ambient (26C, garbage AC) and goes up to 39C if I run CrystalDiskMark while stressing the GPU and CPU simultaneously.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you bought a FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-9370, or FX-9590 from AMD.com or at a retailer in California, you may be able to get some money from a false advertising class action settlement regarding Bulldozer having 8 "cores".

AMD has to put the money aside, so it doesnt impact AMD's bottom line whether you file or not.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14804/amd-settlement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cygni posted:

If you bought a FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-9370, or FX-9590 from AMD.com or at a retailer in California, you may be able to get some money from a false advertising class action settlement regarding Bulldozer having 8 "cores".

AMD has to put the money aside, so it doesnt impact AMD's bottom line whether you file or not.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14804/amd-settlement

I can see what they were trying to do with Bulldozer, but it failed so hard it seemed to have almost wrecked the entire CPU division. Their plan was "SMT with extra resources", but it just bit them in the rear end when it turned out to be a pain to manage a weird chip like that. Advertising it has having 8 full cores was also.. well, doesn't matter what my opinion is, the lawsuit is right there