Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Hawk and Kevin are definitely the most fun characters, Kevin for the huge damage output and Hawk for the amazing versatility. You could probably make something decently synergistic with the boring, Duran, Angela, Charlotte party, but if you play it straight as a swordsman, offensive caster and healer, where everyone is just doing their own thing and not supporting each other, it will be hard to get the delicious, screen-wiping, boss-melting power of other combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Well, to be honest, a Duelist (with or without unleashing his Quakebringer class strike) combined with a Dark Curse-debuffed boss and a Rune Seer spamming Annihilation can do plenty of boss melting and screen clearing. It just isn't the only way to go.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lise/riesz always seemed like the obvious main character of the cast to me. maybe more of a psx-era style protagonist though while duran channels the classic dragon quest hero

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In terms of motivations, Riesz is one hell of a lot more like a classic JRPG hero than Duran. Riesz starts her journey in order to liberate and restore her torched kingdom, avenge her slain father and rescue her kidnapped brother. Duran starts his journey because he got humiliated in a fight and he needs to soothe his wounded ego. XD

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just picked Duran and Angela as a kid because I like to see sexual tension in my JRPGs

Although I guess I already got that between Duran and that red wizard

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dorothea & Ingrid’s paralogue... that post scene... Dorothea is the best

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Erpy posted:

In terms of motivations, Riesz is one hell of a lot more like a classic JRPG hero than Duran. Riesz starts her journey in order to liberate and restore her torched kingdom, avenge her slain father and rescue her kidnapped brother. Duran starts his journey because he got humiliated in a fight and he needs to soothe his wounded ego. XD

I think this is generally why Duran was, and still is, marketed as the main hero of Trials: Character-wise, he contrasts extremely well with the two who preceded him.

(Also, particularly in regards to Randi, Duran doesn't get to wield the Mana Sword, but gets to use spells in the form of saber and healing magic, depending on the route you take him through.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've tried Secret of Mana a couple of times, never got far, and bounced off. I'm giving it another go. I'm the farthest I've ever been. Just fought that Tiger boss.

In the Switch thread, I asked about the party members. Someone said that magic is key. I can't figure out how to use magic, it doesn't seem to be anywhere in the menu. The party members just seem to be a total burden so far without magic because they just into enemies and die fast. And they can't level up because they die so fast. Where do I access their magic abilities?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You will know when you first get magic, it's a whole thing.

I always forget the exact sequence of events since you return to that one place like 3 times but I'm pretty sure you get your first category of magic right after Spikey Tiger.

Also change your party AI to back off while they're still getting up to par on levels.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok cool. I'll continue on. You never know with games from this era if there will be a tutorial, event, or if the game just expects you to already know.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Spikey Tiger is kind of infamous in its difficulty since it's kinda the last boss you can't abuse magic spam on.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also people not knowing long range weapons can hit him while he's on the ledges.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I imagine a lot of people might drop the game around spiky tiger (witch's forest in general is kind of hard and unpleasant and it's not clear what is goin on). From there it's pretty smooth though I recall the pandoran ruins being a little rough though maybe i just thought they were ugly.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also that you can get Purim in your party early and keep her in your party early which helps kickstart her early leveling.

No Wave posted:

though I recall the pandoran ruins being a little rough though maybe i just thought they were ugly.

All the spook zones rules, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No Wave posted:

I imagine a lot of people might drop the game around spiky tiger (witch's forest in general is kind of hard and unpleasant and it's not clear what is goin on). From there it's pretty smooth though I recall the pandoran ruins being a little rough though maybe i just thought they were ugly.

There are a lot of annoying enemies there and the music is very unnerving. Also,

Phantasium posted:

All the spook zones rules, though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Erpy posted:

Spikey Tiger is kind of infamous in its difficulty since it's kinda the last boss you can't abuse magic spam on.

you aren't supposed to do spiky tiger without magic even though the game lets you. you can do the witch's forest all throughout the early game but you don't have to do more than just visit until it's literally the last available area before the next segment of the game

he's intended to be the boss that teaches you to use your magic a lot

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jazerus posted:

you aren't supposed to do spiky tiger without magic even though the game lets you. you can do the witch's forest all throughout the early game but you don't have to do more than just visit until it's literally the last available area before the next segment of the game

Holy poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
you can get undine before you get the telepathic message? I recalled that you can beat tropicallo with or without girl but i dont see how the undine thing would work.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jazerus posted:

I don't actually understand, what is there to do at that point in the game that isn't the witch's forest? You won't have the message to go back to the water palace for the magic yet (which you don't get until you clear her dungeon), you can't enter the underground part since it's blocked by needing the water magic to enter and you obviously can't do the part that requires you go back there again until the first part is done, and the water palace won't be under attack until all the other stuff is done.... what else is there to do to trigger the message to return to the water palace? I've never heard of this before, never done it or seen it in game, and can't find any mention of it in guides.

Gonna spoiler this poo poo now that it's not important and also new person playing.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 30, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

No Wave posted:

you can get undine before you get the telepathic message? I recalled that you can beat tropicallo with or without girl but i dont see how the undine thing would work.

nah you're right, what i was thinking about was having a full party vs only two characters

he is supposed to teach you to use magic but only by roasting you with it

my bad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was legitimately excited there a second for some new tech, was about to laugh if you could just roll up into that cave whenever to get it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
All that said, I know you can avoid the werewolf fight in the woods if you do things in the right order, and other than Spiky Tiger that is one of the most annoying fights in the game if you haven't done much grinding yet.

I just never remember what the right order actually is, so like 50/50 chance I have to deal with those fuckers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The fight isn't really that hard, just throw a wishing cup at sprite if he dies and hit spiky tiger with regular attacks, he doesn't have much health. It's just that he can kind of stunlock characters which seems intimidating when you first face him.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Brosnan posted:

All that said, I know you can avoid the werewolf fight in the woods if you do things in the right order, and other than Spiky Tiger that is one of the most annoying fights in the game if you haven't done much grinding yet.

I just never remember what the right order actually is, so like 50/50 chance I have to deal with those fuckers.

You have to find her in the castle before you head to Gaia's Navel and have her join you, and then instead of continuing with progress, you need to try to go into the haunted forest until you reach the skeletons that have to be broken with the axe so that she'll basically remark "huh, guess we have to go visit the dwarves" and then she won't leave. If you try to go to GN first she'll get mad that you're ignoring her problems and leave, and instead you'll find the werewolf fight when you finally go to the forest (or if you never recruit her in the castle in the first place).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm enjoying Secret of Mana! I just fought corrupted Santa Claus! This game is good poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Japanese voice actor for Rudolph in the remake did a good job

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Shibawanko posted:

The fight isn't really that hard, just throw a wishing cup at sprite if he dies and hit spiky tiger with regular attacks, he doesn't have much health. It's just that he can kind of stunlock characters which seems intimidating when you first face him.

It's the hardest fight in the game and every time I've played I've always SUPER struggled with it.
It's easier with save states but it absolutely loving sucks.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Reality Sinner posted:

You can animation lock them with magic nukes
In SD3, can't they queue their own attacks while you do that so you get clobbered by a triple-cast AOE?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bell_ posted:

In SD3, can't they queue their own attacks while you do that so you get clobbered by a triple-cast AOE?

Yeah definitely, you basically never want to use magic against anything that counters it cause the counters are brutal even if you buff and debuff, especially because there's a literal hard cap on how high your defense can go. But in general you can tell if a boss will counter by whether they're some big monster or whether they're roughly you-sized and take hit-stun from your basic swings.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Alxprit posted:

Yeah definitely, you basically never want to use magic against anything that counters it cause the counters are brutal even if you buff and debuff, especially because there's a literal hard cap on how high your defense can go. But in general you can tell if a boss will counter by whether they're some big monster or whether they're roughly you-sized and take hit-stun from your basic swings.

Except if they're a werewolf of any kind, because holy poo poo you do not want to cast magic on werewolves.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Torrannor posted:

Except if they're a werewolf of any kind, because holy poo poo you do not want to cast magic on werewolves.

Unless you have an option for silencing them: cast that first, THEN follow up with more magic.

(Debuffs can also go a long way to cripple them, though silencing them will always win out over debuffing them first if you have the option.)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Eventually, you'll also get a general idea of how much health an enemy, werewolf or otherwise, has at which point you can weaken them with normal attacks first and then finish them off with a spell they're weak to.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Trials remake coming April 24th next year.

There was some new footage in the direct showing off later bosses and things (and some godawful voice acting, it seems).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm just glad they confirmed new outfits for each class.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For some reason I thought Trials of Mana was going to be a Switch exclusive since Nintendo announced it and has been showing it off. But it’s also coming to PS4 and PC. Hmmmmm portability or trophies? Tough decision.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
One of each, por favor

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i've platinumed adventures and secret at this point, i'll be damned if i don't platinum trials

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gently caress the Grand Palace. This place is confusing bullshit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The grand palace sucks but I like the underground city section just before it, with that subway that shows up out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shibawanko posted:

The grand palace sucks but I like the underground city section just before it, with that subway that shows up out of nowhere.

Yeah, the Underground City is great, it’s such a shame that you can’t go back once you beat the Grand Palace.