Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Promethium posted:

Irithyll knights have one move that they string into a forever combo

Yep, that's what I was talking about. Not a fan of parrying either, I killed Pontiff by simply outdamaging him as quickly as I could, only rolling when absolutely necessary. I doubt that will work in NG+ but I'm ok with gitting guder. I used to parry everything in BB but in DS3 it immediately felt awkward and weird so I never learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Nobody ever said ’Gee, I wish I was stunlocked more in this game’.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Pontiff is easy if you just get up on him and circle strafe him with a shield. Most attacks will miss and you're close enough to punish him a lot.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Kawabata posted:

Yep, that's what I was talking about. Not a fan of parrying either, I killed Pontiff by simply outdamaging him as quickly as I could, only rolling when absolutely necessary. I doubt that will work in NG+ but I'm ok with gitting guder. I used to parry everything in BB but in DS3 it immediately felt awkward and weird so I never learned.

Parrying is rarely worth the effort in Dks3 compared to Bloodborne.

Also in Bloodborne you can parry from a safe distance so its even better

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

WaltherFeng posted:

Parrying is rarely worth the effort in Dks3 compared to Bloodborne.

Also in Bloodborne you can parry from a safe distance so its even better

That's what I felt from the start but a lot of people (itt too) swear by parrying every time you can. I tried parrying Pontiff, it was very hit and miss and punishment for failing was unreasonable so at some point I was like eeeeh I'll just hit him real hard and dodge his bombs.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Pontiff has a way easier second than first phase (not universal, but many builds can kill his clone as he summons it, leaving him without the doubled up moves and showing an actually kind of neutered moveset when he's just alone, and then he resummons, giving you even more free hits), so getting to it quickly by pumping two parries into him is really worth it. Many other enemies, not so much.

His knights, I agree, are kind of annoying, and again because they're so binary. Because DS3 is fair enough to not give (most) enemies poise (though some can start hyperarmor attacks out of a stunlock often which is its own bag of worms), they can be stunlocked to death really easily IF you get that first hit in. Getting that single opening makes or breaks an encounter, and for some people, it's super easy - dodge dodge dodge combo start - and for others, it looks like dodge dodge oops I got hit again, and it's annoying. You can fix that by getting better at dodging, but it's truly make or break.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kawabata posted:

That's what I felt from the start but a lot of people (itt too) swear by parrying every time you can. I tried parrying Pontiff, it was very hit and miss and punishment for failing was unreasonable so at some point I was like eeeeh I'll just hit him real hard and dodge his bombs.

the risk of a missed or partial parry is what frustrates most people with it, especially because the timing is a lot tighter than dodge-rolling or just blocking with your shield. i feel like parrying should be a guaranteed one-shot kill if you land it, because of how much worse it is to miss a parry.

it's also weird because it's the only defensive option that doesn't always work. it'd be like if there were attacks that removed all iframes from your dodge roll, or moves that always dealt damage to you even with a 100 defense shield. you have these two other options that work 100% of the time that are extremely easy to use, and then this other option that works sometimes if your timing is perfect and does some reprisal damage maybe. so most people don't bother to struggle through learning to parry consistently because even when you know how to do it perfectly there's still monsters and attacks that you can't parry, so you still have to use some backup defensive measure anyway

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The parry timing in DS1 and Bloodborne was pretty generous, so I usually went for it (and Bloodborne even refills your health if you pull it off, negating the risk aspect to an extent). The parry window in DS2 and 3 seems much tighter though. Andd since failing a parry in DS3 usually leads to getting hit multiple times, I don't think it's worth bothering unless you're really good at it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
If you can get the painting Guardian sword in DS2 then you can Parry anything without trying.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Samuel Clemens posted:

The parry timing in DS1 and Bloodborne was pretty generous, so I usually went for it (and Bloodborne even refills your health if you pull it off, negating the risk aspect to an extent). The parry window in DS2 and 3 seems much tighter though. Andd since failing a parry in DS3 usually leads to getting hit multiple times, I don't think it's worth bothering unless you're really good at it.

The parry timing is even tighter in DS3 than it is in DS2. It's fairly reasonable to do with a small shield in DS2 (not even necessarily a parry shield, just a regular small shield), it's basically impossible to do in DS3 without a parry shield (or other dedicated parry implement).

Then again, I guess I'm not sure if the dagger on the wolf ultra greatsword is technically a parry implement, I had decent luck parrying with that.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

it's also weird because it's the only defensive option that doesn't always work. it'd be like if there were attacks that removed all iframes from your dodge roll, or moves that always dealt damage to you even with a 100 defense shield. you have these two other options that work 100% of the time that are extremely easy to use, and then this other option that works sometimes if your timing is perfect and does some reprisal damage maybe.
I mean, I can't think of a time that you can parry an enemy and not get in a significant amount of reprisal damage as a result. Who the hell would bother blocking or dodging if parrying worked 100% of the time.

I'm not saying the timing's amazing; it's floaty and off and sometimes it really feels like you did everything just right and the game decided "no, this was an animation that had an Unparryable trigger on it, Accidentally" - but it also shouldn't be an easy replacement for blocking stuff. Somewhere in between where it's at now and what it was in DS1 would feel right.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Whalley posted:

I mean, I can't think of a time that you can parry an enemy and not get in a significant amount of reprisal damage as a result. Who the hell would bother blocking or dodging if parrying worked 100% of the time.

I'm not saying the timing's amazing; it's floaty and off and sometimes it really feels like you did everything just right and the game decided "no, this was an animation that had an Unparryable trigger on it, Accidentally" - but it also shouldn't be an easy replacement for blocking stuff. Somewhere in between where it's at now and what it was in DS1 would feel right.

it would definitely be improved if there were some kind of visual indicator on every move that can be parried, so at least you could know when you've got a shot and when you don't. could even be subtle, like the monster flashes red briefly when they're doing a parry-able attack. anything beyond "rote memorization for every monster for every attack they have and every sequence of attacks they can weave together"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah. I've just never bothered to parry in any of the souls games since I never want to find out the hard way whether X or Y is actually parryable, multiplied by not knowing if I just duffed the timing or if I did it right but the attack isn't parryable. There's a couple attacks in each souls game which randomly aren't blockable either and it's always nice to find that out by having the game randomly ignore your shield.

Bloodborne is very different because it's more like, an enemy type is either parryable across the board or it isn't, and you can probably guess which ones aren't because only the biggest enemies can't be parried. It's actually easier to list the monsters that aren't parryable than the ones that are. Then if you use a pistol you can try to parry out of range, or if you use a shotgun you can err on the side of being too early and it will usually stagger the enemy to protect you if you mess it up. so you can learn it for each enemy much safer.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Actually there should be a visual indicator on attacks that aren't parriable. And those moves should be unblockable too.

Oh wait. That's just sekiro.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Or revengeance

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm making the point that FROM also came to the conclusion that this system would be good, and then they implemented it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

King of Solomon posted:

Then again, I guess I'm not sure if the dagger on the wolf ultra greatsword is technically a parry implement, I had decent luck parrying with that.
iirc farron greatsword dagger parry is among the worst in the game

everything parryable in this game is parryable with a medium shield if you get used to the timings, but if you don't wanna spend the time doing that llewellyn shield or rusted iron shield are both parry shields with reasonably good defenses to use outside of parrying

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the worst aspect of parrying in ds3 is that spell parry/twisted wall of light effect are basically useless

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

iirc farron greatsword dagger parry is among the worst in the game

everything parryable in this game is parryable with a medium shield if you get used to the timings, but if you don't wanna spend the time doing that llewellyn shield or rusted iron shield are both parry shields with reasonably good defenses to use outside of parrying

Weird, before I grabbed that sword the only thing I could reliably parry with was a parry shield

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Digirat posted:

Never understood irithyll’s reputation for being really difficult or unfun, at least before the church of yorshka. not a tryhard gitgudder or anything here but the irithyll knights never gave me much trouble compared to the other enemies in the game up to that point.

Irithyll, especially the first half, is one of my favorite levels in DS 3 and I also never really understood the reputation for difficulty. I’m pretty bad at the game, too. Lothric knights, evangelists, most of the skeletons, the cathedral knights with the maces and probably several other early game enemies I’m forgetting all gave me more trouble than pontiff knights on my first time through. It’s true that sometimes you’ll aggro more than one of them and they’ll just keep doing endless spinning attack chains and you’ll die, but mostly you can separate them and then tear them down before they get to be too obnoxious.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It’s true that sometimes you’ll aggro more than one of them and they’ll just keep doing endless spinning attack chains and you’ll die

that's why. that's the whole reason why. "i don't understand why, except for this very obvious thing that I myself will acknowledge." the fact that pulling more than one at a time is basically a guaranteed game over is pretty frustrating.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You know, I was all ready to praise Friede for breaking the mold of bosses where you have to wait out long combos and afterwards use the brief window of opportunity to attack. Then the third phase happened. :v:

Still a really fun fight though.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that's why. that's the whole reason why. "i don't understand why, except for this very obvious thing that I myself will acknowledge." the fact that pulling more than one at a time is basically a guaranteed game over is

[quote="Freaking Crumbum" post="497644959"]
that's why. that's the whole reason why. "i don't understand why, except for this very obvious thing that I myself will acknowledge." the fact that pulling more than one at a time is basically a guaranteed game over is pretty frustrating.

That one very specific thing resulted in me dying fewer times than from the other enemies I mentioned. And I think most of the time it’s not so bad if you aggro two of them, since you can just be very aggressive and tear one to pieces before the other has much time to do anything. Even three is doable if they’re not all next to each other, but can be a little dicey.

Yes, they’re still obnoxious, spammy DS 3 enemies, but I’d much rather fight 2 pontiff knights than 2 Lothric knights. Pontiff knights are very dangerous when they’re attacking, but are much safer to approach and have much wider periods when they’re vulnerable.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

You know, I was all ready to praise Friede for breaking the mold of bosses where you have to wait out long combos and afterwards use the brief window of opportunity to attack. Then the third phase happened. :v:

Still a really fun fight though.

Welcome to one of the most gratuitous and time wasting GOTCHA! moments in DS3. Friede is basically Lady Maria if Lady Maria was stupid, boring and cheap.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Finally finished my first playthrough. I have to say the Ringed City was amazing. Quite possibly the best Souls content since Artorias of the Abyss. Even if Gael was a bit of a chump, dying on my first attempt.

Now I feel like replaying the game with a sorcerer build. I've heard it's not horribly overpowered in this one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Remember with Friede that you can prick her with an arrow right away and then use that to find her when she goes invisible. Unless they patched it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiR0tcJekno

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Samuel Clemens posted:

Finally finished my first playthrough. I have to say the Ringed City was amazing. Quite possibly the best Souls content since Artorias of the Abyss. Even if Gael was a bit of a chump, dying on my first attempt.

Now I feel like replaying the game with a sorcerer build. I've heard it's not horribly overpowered in this one.

Spellsword is actually pretty fun, there's that catalyst that is also a sword (and also a candle) and the heysel pick that both are fun to combo with sword spells.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just beat Pontiff Sulyvahn - it was my first attempt, and I got the last hit in after my last estus was gone and I was on a sliver of health and he was frames away from doing his big AOE while I was stuck in a corner. Feels real good, man.

Sulyvahn was a really fun fight with my drumsticks. I love how tense trading blows got and how I had to be really careful with how I rolled

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Whalley posted:

I just beat Pontiff Sulyvahn - it was my first attempt,

Pure luck :catstare:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Lucky that I got born so fuckin' skilled at Dork Souls :smug:

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Samuel Clemens posted:

It isn't, though unless you're into RP start as a Pyro, Knight or Mercenary (or even Deprived/Warrior). Luck is useless.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m banned from Dark Souls 3 and I have no idea why.

I’ve been playing Dark Souls 3 with my son over the past few months and it’s been a good time, and over the past week or so I’d been getting really into PvP with invasions at pontiff or grand archives mostly and duels in the arena. My son and I did some duels against each other at pontiff yesterday. Really cool.

Well, tonight I get on to play and discover I’m “penalized” and I have no idea why. I never pick up things invaders drop, I’ve never used cheat engine, I’ve never edited my save. Pretty much the sketchiest thing I’ve ever done is given my son a bunch of items, started a new character, and have him give me back those items on my new character but that was back in early June and I wasn’t duping anything. I guess when I originally beat the game back in February I backed up my save so I could see all the endings available to me at the time. I’d followed the “hollowing” questline so I only had 2 of them available to me, but that was back in February. We just played online yesterday!

There was one weird thing, on Friday night I was doing some invasions at Pontiff but instead of fighting I was just dancing around and being an idiot doing gestures and dropping dung pies because everyone needs entertainment now and then. One of the worlds I invaded was affected by some really weird lag or something. Every step I would take the walking animation would be really weird and stop in the middle and loop back to the beginning like a weird buggy limp. I eventually got to the area outside the bonfire where everyone fights and encountered a purple phantom who appeared to have the same issue. He crip-walked over to me and killed me pretty quickly (I was naked and unarmed) but “you died” never came up, and the sound loop for the death kept repeating over and over. I figured the game was just bugged and alt+F4’d. I didn’t pay it any mind and went to bed, but now I can’t help but think maybe I invaded the world of a hacker and it flagged my account or something?

I always blaze past those info screens at the beginning of the game so perhaps I just missed a warning that there was something wrong with my account but gently caress, this really sucks. Dark Souls has been my gaming obsession for like the past year and I’m super bummed.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I think you can get softbanned for muling items

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got softbanned on DS2 for using X360ce and (or because I don't know) fraps. Not like I care because I have it on PS4 too and there's still people playing it there so whatever.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Aldritch fuckin' sucks. I beat him real easy for Anri (I had no idea you could even be summoned into NPC worlds, that was cool) but fighting him for myself loving suuuuuucks. I beat the two crocodiles in the sewer to get the ring of favor on my second try, why the hell can't I take out Prince Slug-rear end.

I've made my way into the profaned capital while trying to find something else to do and this place is fun (I like fighting the gargoyle dudes and the gross hand-head hippos) but I'm worried once I find whatever the boss is here (I'm assuming it's Yhorm, on account of that throne in Firelink) that I'm going to have to go on to fight Aldritch, and I cannot stress this enough: he suuuucks. I'm adverse to bringing in help unless it's friends of mine and we can chill on voice, but I'm probably going to have to in order to get rid of this annoying lil poo poo.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

GutBomb posted:

I’m banned from Dark Souls 3 and I have no idea why.

I’ve been playing Dark Souls 3 with my son over the past few months and it’s been a good time, and over the past week or so I’d been getting really into PvP with invasions at pontiff or grand archives mostly and duels in the arena. My son and I did some duels against each other at pontiff yesterday. Really cool.

Well, tonight I get on to play and discover I’m “penalized” and I have no idea why. I never pick up things invaders drop, I’ve never used cheat engine, I’ve never edited my save. Pretty much the sketchiest thing I’ve ever done is given my son a bunch of items, started a new character, and have him give me back those items on my new character but that was back in early June and I wasn’t duping anything. I guess when I originally beat the game back in February I backed up my save so I could see all the endings available to me at the time. I’d followed the “hollowing” questline so I only had 2 of them available to me, but that was back in February. We just played online yesterday!

There was one weird thing, on Friday night I was doing some invasions at Pontiff but instead of fighting I was just dancing around and being an idiot doing gestures and dropping dung pies because everyone needs entertainment now and then. One of the worlds I invaded was affected by some really weird lag or something. Every step I would take the walking animation would be really weird and stop in the middle and loop back to the beginning like a weird buggy limp. I eventually got to the area outside the bonfire where everyone fights and encountered a purple phantom who appeared to have the same issue. He crip-walked over to me and killed me pretty quickly (I was naked and unarmed) but “you died” never came up, and the sound loop for the death kept repeating over and over. I figured the game was just bugged and alt+F4’d. I didn’t pay it any mind and went to bed, but now I can’t help but think maybe I invaded the world of a hacker and it flagged my account or something?

I always blaze past those info screens at the beginning of the game so perhaps I just missed a warning that there was something wrong with my account but gently caress, this really sucks. Dark Souls has been my gaming obsession for like the past year and I’m super bummed.

Create a new account and Family share DS3 my dude:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3784-QLBM-5731#enable

Problem solved. You'll just need to login into that new account whenever you play DS3

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Big Bizness posted:

Create a new account and Family share DS3 my dude:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3784-QLBM-5731#enable

Problem solved. You'll just need to login into that new account whenever you play DS3

Doesn’t sound like a good solution to me because a) its a pain in the rear end to switch accounts every time I want to play that and b) my save is loving gone and my son and I were like, a couple days away from fighting Gael. He’s on his own now and probably gonna quit because he sucks solo.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

GutBomb posted:

Doesn’t sound like a good solution to me because a) its a pain in the rear end to switch accounts every time I want to play that and b) my save is loving gone and my son and I were like, a couple days away from fighting Gael. He’s on his own now and probably gonna quit because he sucks solo.

It does suck, and all I can say is that you're out of luck. Other than the family sharing there's nothing you can do to get unbanned.

FROM are the arbiters of your multiplayer destiny and don't you dare even consider the possibility of appealing - the judgements they pass down from their ivory thrones are immaculate and flawless.
(I got softbanned from DS2 because, coming from DS1 where DSFix was mandatory, I used DS2fix, which gets you permanently softbanned. Who knew!)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I figured the game was just bugged and alt+F4’d. I didn’t pay it any mind and went to bed, but now I can’t help but think maybe I invaded the world of a hacker and it flagged my account or something?

Two points to this: you didn't Alt-F4 often, do you? If you did too often you get penalized (although an outright ban seems incorrect). And it's unfortunately too late to help now, but you should always revert your save to a few minutes before any encounter with a suspected hacker. Other than that if you weren't running any weird game-altering programs or things that it might flag as such, I dunno :shrug:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Two points to this: you didn't Alt-F4 often, do you? If you did too often you get penalized (although an outright ban seems incorrect). And it's unfortunately too late to help now, but you should always revert your save to a few minutes before any encounter with a suspected hacker. Other than that if you weren't running any weird game-altering programs or things that it might flag as such, I dunno :shrug:

Nope, just the one time because the game was stuck. Couldn’t access the menu or anything. I don’t mind dying in an invasion. It’s just part of the game. And sometimes I don’t die!

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that my save is just gone and when I feel like going back into DS3 I’ll just start over with a family shared account or whatever.