Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You can pick up Mario and move him around your finger/a stylus while in playing a test of the level you're making :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Yup! You also used to be able to shake him to toggle between small and super Mario while test-playing. As far as I know, there's no equivalent for that in MM2, though.

Anyway, got a new level:
Blastblock Mine
BFS-LQK-1YG

It's a coin-collecting 3D World level, and I tried to make it a little open-ended.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

For the course I'm making I'm thinking

BoB: Shuddershade Shack.

Sound okay for a naming convention?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I finally made another level to get back into the groove for this group project. I had to go back to the SMB3 well to do it, but that should be pretty good practice, right?

Valley of Koopa-Chompem: BMH-N2C-WTG

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Think I have a level that sorta fits within the guidelines of teh rules. A maze-like SMW forest level. Seemed fitting for the aesthetic and my general course design ideas. Still learning the SMM2 mechanics, so I don't know how to set a course to night mode.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

dog nougat posted:

Think I have a level that sorta fits within the guidelines of teh rules. A maze-like SMW forest level. Seemed fitting for the aesthetic and my general course design ideas. Still learning the SMM2 mechanics, so I don't know how to set a course to night mode.

I think you’ve gotta place an angry sun in a level first to unlock the toggle in the theme menu.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Okay my POW Block autoscroller is done. After a ton of trying to get coins to work on this stage and having them fall in correct spots being so inconsistent, I just decided this stage wasn't going to have coins at all. It's possible to get coins still but I didn't use any for guiding players, just arrows.

I did not have the same problems the others have had with this level, but then, I tend to struggle to keep up with some of them so the notion that I could have gotten so far to the right to lose all momentum seems nuts to me, I had problems not having enough time for the butt stomp, or having the flower right before the exploding bridge basically just push me forward since I was just far enough ahead to not get left behind. Still fun to run against and clear.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Yup! You also used to be able to shake him to toggle between small and super Mario while test-playing. As far as I know, there's no equivalent for that in MM2, though.

Anyway, got a new level:
Blastblock Mine
BFS-LQK-1YG

It's a coin-collecting 3D World level, and I tried to make it a little open-ended.

This is all well done and placed, and is an interesting theme, I just don't think I like this style of level too much after seeing it a few times now, so I'm not sure I have useful feedback for you.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I finally made another level to get back into the groove for this group project. I had to go back to the SMB3 well to do it, but that should be pretty good practice, right?

Good, solid level, and works as a reminder of the levels you were going for. Also another level I don't have any specific notes on, just a fun Mario-rear end Mario level.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I made a mario world, one of four in this small game Im making. All traditional stuff, three big coins in each level with the 50 coin being a slightly more difficult one-screen challenge.

2WY-LF6-WGG
1-1 Air Raid

B9X-773-D1H
1-2 Cloud Cover Fire

SV5-TPM-JNF
1-3 Aerial Pursuit

S6P-XJP-33G
1-4 Dreadnought Koopa

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Jothan posted:

I think you’ve gotta place an angry sun in a level first to unlock the toggle in the theme menu.

This is correct. Turns forest level water into lava basically for anyone curious.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

V16-S7Y-SVF NQ0-FNW-TRF
Sweatin' it in the Swamp

Got convinced to buy a Switch, and here I am with a first course.

Went with making Random Acts of Mario giving me a theme. Ultimately feel like I'm trying to pack too much into too small a space, but it does at least keep the level from overstaying its welcome.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 29, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's my jam level.

The Phantom Express: N2X-J05-YYF

Choo choo, its a train. A train to death. Autoscrollers are hard to make but I tried my best.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's my jam level.

Choo choo, its a train. A train to death. Autoscrollers are hard to make but I tried my best.

These screenshots look really nice, heck. Will need to check it out when I'm done with my current stage.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Unhappy Meal posted:

V16-S7Y-5VF
Sweatin' it in the Swamp

Got convinced to buy a Switch, and here I am with a first course.

Went with making Random Acts of Mario giving me a theme. Ultimately feel like I'm trying to pack too much into too small a space, but it does at least keep the level from overstaying its welcome.

I'm getting Course not found

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

May Contain Nuts posted:

I'm getting Course not found

Too much drinking for posting it seems. V16-S7Y-SVF, is the corrected course code. Should be fixed in the original now.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 25, 2019

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

I made a mario 3 and smw level, and tried to make something I thought was fun and not too difficult.

BTV-6MV-MWF A Moderate SMB3 Stage
Normal theme, one screen hold right and go high or low. Very short, but the bottom path might be too difficult.

edit: XN5-CHD-TMF Bowser’s Submarine Lava Castle?!
Castle theme, starts with some platforming then contains vertically scrolling water section with lying coins and a bit of cape flying before a bowser fight.

tonberi fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 25, 2019

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
I was playing around with global ground stuff and threw this together:

I'll come back for you! X0K-JSN-G5G

Unhappy Meal posted:

Too much drinking for posting it seems. V16-S7Y-SVF, is the corrected course code. Should be fixed in the original now.

At the first checkpoint. I hate bumpers so much.

May Contain Nuts fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 25, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I already made another stage?

The Descent?
V3W-G5C-GSF

Control Volume posted:

2WY-LF6-WGG
1-1 Air Raid

B9X-773-D1H
1-2 Cloud Cover Fire

SV5-TPM-JNF
1-3 Aerial Pursuit

S6P-XJP-33G
1-4 Dreadnought Koopa

I loving love the little narrative you have going here. It's nice to see the idea of a set of first world difficulty Mario levels that aren't simply doing an athletic style and have a story to where it starts and ends. Everything here is done extremely well and balanced with nice secrets.

Unhappy Meal posted:

V16-S7Y-SVF
Sweatin' it in the Swamp

A nice swampy shoe level. I'd say maybe have some respawning shoes but it works for the way the level is structured. Fun level.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even know where to begin... you made the train whistle get louder at the front! I love the section with the lakitu chucking ghosts down at you, it works incredibly well. And it's placed at the perfect point in the level challenge-wise. Something with the custom scroll also sells the train's movement better than you'd see with normal autoscroll, idk. Fantastic stuff.

tonberi posted:

BTV-6MV-MWF A Moderate SMB3 Stage

This stage ended almost as quickly as it began, but it was definitely a moderate SMB3 stage. I know I sound like a broken record on easier stages but I tend to clear them pretty quickly which always leaves less of an impression no matter the quality.

quote:

JNV-0WM-5BG Bowser’s Submarine Lava Castle?!

I like most of this stage, but I'm kind of curious why it doesn't end right after Bowser. The final section is just a spam of dry bones and power ups, and it's a bit weird how you need the helmet but also the thwomps you're supposed to guard against with the helmet can hit you before you actually put it on, and if you've gotten hit by the wildly frantic bones before that or not picked up the one mushroom the bullet bill cannon spits out by the time you get to the helmet you just get killed, causing you to have to deal with the randomness of waiting for Bowser to kill himself again. I will say this level finally reminded me how to use the cape, as I seem to have forgotten over the years that I don't have to do the full back and forward motion just to keep altitude, you don't really ever need to do it in traditional Mario World.

May Contain Nuts posted:

I'll admit that I was too stupid to immediately see what you're supposed to do in this level, and instead used the two POW blocks to sneak to the On/Off switch, turn it off, then grab Builder Mario and crawl under the gap to the end to kill the two thwomps... unless the title and description are red herrings?

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

I'll admit that I was too stupid to immediately see what you're supposed to do in this level, and instead used the two POW blocks to sneak to the On/Off switch, turn it off, then grab Builder Mario and crawl under the gap to the end to kill the two thwomps... unless the title and description are red herrings?

Thanks for the feedback, I just kinda :effort: for the end of the bowser castle stage, will have to revisit it later and rework or remove the final water bit.

For this one, try putting a pow on a builder block.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Played some recent levels.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Anyway, got a new level:
Blastblock Mine
BFS-LQK-1YG

This was nice and creative, utilizing a lot of elements in ways I don't usually see. I have to ask though, is there anyway to break the icicles? It felt like there must be something you could do with pow blocks to break em but nothing worked.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Very good SMB3 feel to it, both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. I would say though that the underground section could stand to be a bit longer. You could better pace the level by extending that part and placing another checkpoint earlier in the stage.

Obviously you want this to be difficult but it was very frustrating for me. I had to tap out after the first checkpoint because I kept screwing up the very first jump+throw so much. Its just a bad combination of the wall being able to kill momentum, the blocks obscuring your vision, and tight window of opportunity to jump. I was playing in handheld mode so that probably exacerbated the visibility issues though. Clever use of POW blocks though.

Unhappy Meal posted:

V16-S7Y-SVF
Sweatin' it in the Swamp

Decent level but I feel like it could be refined a bit more. Notably its extremely difficult to beat if you lose the shoe, so its a really rough level to clear. The course also just throws a lot of different elements at you that don't feel very necessary, notably the snake block. It'd be more enjoyable with a total focus on shoe based platforming. Still, not bad.

Control Volume posted:

2WY-LF6-WGG
1-1 Air Raid

B9X-773-D1H
1-2 Cloud Cover Fire

SV5-TPM-JNF
1-3 Aerial Pursuit

S6P-XJP-33G
1-4 Dreadnought Koopa

These are all pretty good. The only one I didn't like was 1-3 because it was too gimmicky and not in an interesting way. Overall though I enjoyed playing a "world" of level that actually felt like they had logical gameplay and aesthetic progression.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished a fort/ghost house for the Bayou.

I tried to keep it pretty straight forward with some simple challenges. Assemble a key and find a way out of the run down swamp shed. You don't want to spend the night here!!!!

Also while I'm tired I played

Internet Kraken - The Phantom Express
I really really loved how this stage looked and the "rain" you used. Hell even the train horn caught me off guard. A lot of love went into this stage and I really, really enjoyed it! Certain parts felt a little cluttered but like, I never died (or even took a hit) so I guess that's just the impression I got randomly, but that's really the worst thing I can say about it. I enjoyed it.

Phantasium - The Descent?
Kind of mixed in how I feel about this- I really liked the idea of it once I got it but the way the camera scrolls made climbing a lot more dangerous that I felt was probably intended with ants showing up for me causing last second hop backs and whatnot. Also before i figured I'd be doing a big drop from the top I kept trying to get coins in a loop before continuing on which led to a death. I'm *probably* just a idiot though. It's a cute idea and I liked it though ultimately.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Re uploaded Bowser’s Submarine Lava Castle?!, edited my post but if the google sheet could be updated too that’d be great. XN5-CHD-TMF

Sweatin’ it in the Swamp - Unhappy Meal
I really liked this level. The challenge ramped up pleasantly and it felt like it would fit very well in a vanilla mario.

The Descent? - Phantasium
This seems like it would be really fun in multi vs. A nice idea and execution, and I like the ants getting hats. Very satisfying to grab all the coins on the way back down!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

May Contain Nuts posted:

I was playing around with global ground stuff and threw this together:

I have no idea what the intended solution was here. I just created boxes to stand on the spike platform and hit the on/off switch. From there you just crawl through to the other side and smash the thwomps. The grand tradition of me cheesing your levels continues I guess.

tonberi posted:

Re uploaded Bowser’s Submarine Lava Castle?!, edited my post but if the google sheet could be updated too that’d be great. XN5-CHD-TMF
I liked this ok up until the Bowser fight. "Surely he doesn't expect me to wait for Bowser to jump into the lava" I thought to myself as I looked for other approaches, but I guess unless you manage to cape twirl him to death that's the intended solution.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 25, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

For the course I'm making I'm thinking

BoB: Shuddershade Shack.

Sound okay for a naming convention?

Sounds great.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Been a little busy and forgot to upload my Luigis here, so here's a bunch of levels I've made with varying degrees of quality.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Thinkin' 'bout some Marios...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished a fort/ghost house for the Bayou.

I tried to keep it pretty straight forward with some simple challenges. Assemble a key and find a way out of the run down swamp shed. You don't want to spend the night here!!!!

Yep, I think you nailed your goal. Looked good, had challenges that I had to think about but didn't really hurt pacing, and was fun.

Phantasium posted:

I already made another stage?

The Descent?
V3W-G5C-GSF

I see how this one works but I quit before getting to the actual descent part. It got tedious for me making the same ascent over and over because it seems simple enough (and long enough) that I want to go fast, but the ant patterns are awkward enough that I can't. I think it would work for me if the climb was like half as long or if there was a checkpoint somewhere in the middle.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Anyway, got a new level:
Blastblock Mine
BFS-LQK-1YG

I like the theme and the visual style is amazing, but the moment I died to a bad jump I was done. It's a shame because I thought some of the challenges to get the big coins were really clever, but I couldn't deal with doing them all over again after dying at around 120 coins.

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's my jam level.

I really like this one. Everything about the presentation is perfect, and the platforming is just tricky enough to stay interesting all the way through.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Bridge Out Bayou

Story:
The bridge spanning over the Bayou has been ruined down by rampant kudzu. It's up to Mario to stem the green tide and defeat the piranha plants at fault.

Instructions:
When you publish you course start the name with the label "BoB:"
Submit your courses to the jam spreadsheet so they can be organized.
Make a course in the forest, ghost house or castle theme.
When you decide to participate, please announce in the thread what theme of course you want to make so we can be sure to get a variety of themes.
If you use gizmos try to focus on a small number in your course.
Only use the SMB theme and try to aim for a classic SMB1 feel.
Later, the courses submitted will be orgamized into a world 4-10 courses long with some alternates.
:siren: You don't have to follow any of the below guidelines to submit a course:siren:, but it would help your course be closer to the others if you do:
(If you break one or two guidelines, it might help your level stand out.)

General Guidelines, for all worlds we create:
The style of all courses should be traditional Mario courses with light individual gimmicks as in SMB3 or SMW. Do not create puzzle courses (except for in fortress courses).
You can always use coins, 1-up mushrooms, and super stars as desired.
Try to have a total of 3-4 gainable lives in a course.
Each course should have a checkpoint flag.
Do not use clear conditions.
No naked pipes. (Or unconnected mushroom platform bottoms)
You can use ground, slopes*, pipes, brick blocks, and question blocks.
*(Note that in SMB style here, Mario cannot slide. Slopes still help with kicking shells though.)
Powerups should be progressive unless the gimmick of the course requires them.
Powerups should only come out of pipes if they are part of the course gimmick, otherwise all powerups should be in question blocks.
Enemies should not come out of question blocks, if enemies (or pirana plants) come out of pipes this should be signposted early in the level.

Course Type Guidelines:
All levels should be in SMB game theme.
Course difficulty should be moderate.
Courses (other than fortress) should focus on challenges one area rather than fill both the main and sub area with content.
The primary course type should be forest theme, day or night. You can choose whether the water is a major theme of the course or not.
Courses that do not use water as a major theme should restrict their height to a single screen. (Athletic courses are an exception.)
Subareas should usually be underground, but forest is also acceptable. These should mostly be restricted to single screen bonus areas using scroll stopping.
Secondary course types may be underground or underwater, and should start and end with small forest main areas. (Like level 2s of each world in SMB)
(You can make an exception from the theme types above if you want your level to be set in a vertical subarea.)
Athletic course types should be forest night theme. They can use the full vertical area of the map.
Fortress courses should be ghost house with forest subareas if they are used.
Courses in the second half of the world, after the (first?) fortress should be more likely to be forest night, or feature water level changes.
Castle courses should be castle themed with underground subareas.

Object Guidelines:
All courses,
Use bridges and/or Mushroom Platforms in place of semisolid platforms.
Use munchers in place of spikes.
All pipes should be vertical (up or down).
Use coins in horizontal groupings, either in the air or on the ground. You should (usually) be able to collect all the coins in a grouping in one jump.
You can use super mushrooms, mega mushrooms, and dry bones shells*.
*(Note that the dry bones shell, in addition to allowing you to float on water also gives you the empowered stomp ability of the goomba shoe.)
You can use vines and P-switches.
The main enemies should be goombrat, buzzy beetle, and piranha plant.
You can also use goomba, cheep cheep, chain chomp, wiggler, hammer bro, and muncher.

Athletic courses,
You can use donut blocks.
You can use lifts, seesaws, and tracks.
You can use flying dry bones.

Fort (i.e. Ghost House) courses,
You can use hard blocks.
You can use doors, keys, and lava lifts.
You can use conveyors, grinders, and on/off switches.
You can use boo, dry bones, thwomp, bob-omb and Boom Boom.

Castle courses,
You can use hard blocks.
You can use burners.
You can use boos, dry bones, thwomps, bob-omb, and Bowser Jr.

Bonus Blitz rules:
You can make a Blitz course for BoB using this set of blocks,
Forest themed course,
Blocks: Ground, Brick Block, Question Block, Mushroom Platform, Pipes
Powerups: Mega Mushroom, Dry Bones Shell (and Dry Bones are allowed)
Enemies: Goomba, Pirana Plant, Buzzy Beetle, Cheep Cheep
Gizmos: Vines, Checkpoint Flag

This is not the finalized version, so you still have time to comment. I need to take some SMM2 photos.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 25, 2019

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Is this one of you guys? This is some of my favourite design work I've seen in a level yet. All the elements look so good.

Idea popped into my head for a level where you have to die to progress. (EDIT - ASCII diagram didn't work, here's a paint diagram)

So you go through a level to a certain point and you come to a gate like above. The red blocks are solid and the blue are hollow, check point hanging from the ceiling. You hit a switch so you can pass through to the right and on to what seems like the way to go but is actually to certain death. So, when you restart at the checkmark, the blocks have reverted back to their original states and you drop down through the blue blocks onto the actual path forward.

Obviously would have to have a super-secret way to actually get to the goal in one go so I could actually post it, but I kind of like this idea. Would have to name it something that gives the idea away, like Shrine of Ressurection or Only Way to Live Is To Die or something like that. What do you folks think? Would people just hate that?

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 26, 2019

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Phantasium posted:

This is all well done and placed, and is an interesting theme, I just don't think I like this style of level too much after seeing it a few times now, so I'm not sure I have useful feedback for you.

Aw, I didn't realize it was such an oversaturated level type. Thanks for trying it, at least.

Internet Kraken posted:

This was nice and creative, utilizing a lot of elements in ways I don't usually see. I have to ask though, is there anyway to break the icicles? It felt like there must be something you could do with pow blocks to break em but nothing worked.

Thanks! The icicles are supposed to act as do-not-cross lines for little puzzles where you're supposed to throw the POW blocks across instead. Since the 3D World theme doesn't have 1-way walls or bumpers, icicles were all I could think to use for it. They're not my favorite solution for it, though.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I like the theme and the visual style is amazing, but the moment I died to a bad jump I was done. It's a shame because I thought some of the challenges to get the big coins were really clever, but I couldn't deal with doing them all over again after dying at around 120 coins.

Aw, and there's the intrinsic problem with clear condition stages. They're often stages you would most need checkpoints for, and yet you're not allowed to use them. Sorry about that. Hopefully you enjoyed it up until then.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm going to be streaming here in a few:
https://www.twitch.tv/pizza_skeleton

Come on by and submit a level or just hang out.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Perry Normal posted:

Is this one of you guys? This is some of my favourite design work I've seen in a level yet. All the elements look so good.

Idea popped into my head for a level where you have to die to progress. (EDIT - ASCII diagram didn't work, here's a paint diagram)

So you go through a level to a certain point and you come to a gate like above. The red blocks are solid and the blue are hollow, check mark hanging from the ceiling. You hit a switch so you can pass through to the right and on to what seems like the way to go but is actually to certain death. So, when you restart at the checkmark, the blocks have reverted back to their original states and you drop down through the blue blocks onto the actual path forward.

Obviously would have to have a super-secret way to actually get to the goal in one go so I could actually post it, but I kind of like this idea. Would have to name it something that gives the idea away, like Shrine of Ressurection or Only Way to Live Is To Die or something like that. What do you guys think? Would people just hate that?

I think it would be interesting. Just be sure to give a 1-Up before the mandatory death so you don't have anyone getting a game over from your level gimmick.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I had this funny idea this morning that there aren’t enough SMW cape levels, and that making one must be easy. Ha, ha, ha.

Well it’s evening now, and the scope of this level is down to “do things while flying” and “have double-digit clear rate”. Let’s see how I did.

The Flyin' King: S86-2KX-KRG

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Bridge Out Bayou

Story:
The bridge spanning over the Bayou has been ruined down by rampant kudzu. It's up to Mario to stem the green tide and defeat the piranha plants at fault.

Instructions:
When you decide to participate, please announce in the thread what theme of course you want to make so we can be sure to get a variety of themes.
Later, the courses submitted will be orgamized into a world 4-10 courses long with some alternates.
:siren: You don't have to follow any of the below guidelines to submit a course:siren:, but it would help your course be closer to the others if you do:

The style of all courses should be traditional Mario courses with light individual gimmicks as in SMB3 or SMW. Do not create puzzle courses (except for in fortress courses).
*(Note that in SMB style here, Mario cannot slide. Slopes still help with kicking shells though.)
Powerups should only come out of pipes if they are part of the course gimmick, otherwise all powerups should be in question blocks.
Enemies should not come out of question blocks, if enemies (or pirana plants) come out of pipes this should be signposted early in the level.

Course Type Guidelines:
Courses (other than fortress) should focus on challenges one area rather than fill both the main and sub area with content.
The primary course type should be forest theme, day or night. You can choose whether the water is a major theme of the course or not.
Courses that do not use water as a major theme should restrict their height to a single screen. (Athletic courses are an exception.)
Subareas should usually be underground, but forest is also acceptable. These should mostly be restricted to single screen bonus areas using scroll stopping.
Secondary course types may be underground or underwater, and should start and end with small forest main areas. (Like level 2s of each world in SMB)
(You can make an exception from the theme types above if you want your level to be set in a vertical subarea.)
Athletic course types should be forest night theme. They can use the full vertical area of the map.
Courses in the second half of the world, after the (first?) fortress should be more likely to be forest night, or feature water level changes.

Object Guidelines:
All courses,
Use coins in horizontal groupings, either in the air or on the ground. You should (usually) be able to collect all the coins in a grouping in one jump.
*(Note that the dry bones shell, in addition to allowing you to float on water also gives you the empowered stomp ability of the goomba shoe.)
You can also use goomba, cheep cheep, chain chomp, wiggler, hammer bro, and muncher.

Athletic courses,

You can use hard blocks.

Castle courses,
You can use hard blocks.
You can use burners.

Bonus Blitz rules:
Forest themed course,

This is not the finalized version, so you still have time to comment. I need to take some SMM2 photos.

I'll be making a level for this. The focus is on a swapping gimmick like the SMB3 big/small world, where you progress through a forest that lets you "fill" the screen with water when you enter a pipe to get past obstacles that you otherwise wouldn't be able to traverse. It's a fun idea to mess with but its a pain in the rear end to actually make, swapping between the subscreens making sure all the blocks are in the correct spots on both versions of the level.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Too Shy Guy posted:

I had this funny idea this morning that there aren’t enough SMW cape levels, and that making one must be easy. Ha, ha, ha.

Well it’s evening now, and the scope of this level is down to “do things while flying” and “have double-digit clear rate”. Let’s see how I did.

I liked it. It’s not a particularly hard level at all but even still I would bet that a double digit clear rate might be too much to expect. Almost any level that requires any sort of competence in one of the more advanced moves tends to find its way into expert and cape flight is certainly not the easiest thing to do. Personally I’m hesitant to even include a simple take off for anything more than a bonus because I imagine a good chunk of the player base couldn’t even manage that much.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah I didn't think about it until after I uploaded it, but even Super Mario World itself didn't have any full cape or even cape-heavy levels. I don't even think there are many (if any) kaizo levels that focus on flight... I guess it's just too finicky to really focus on. Testing that level was pretty eye-opening because every single run had me in a different spot on the screen or stalling out in a different place. Glad it functions, at least.

SilverSupernova posted:

Been a little busy and forgot to upload my Luigis here, so here's a bunch of levels I've made with varying degrees of quality.

I played a couple of your levels, enough to know you're definitely worth following. Sneaky Switches and Treetop Trip are both great; the former has some of that classic ghost house misdirection and the latter just looks really good and has a fun platform ascent.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've played 2D Mario my entire life and I still don't know how to use the stupid Mario World cape at all.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Too Shy Guy posted:

Once I remembered how to actually use the cape again, I found the most difficult part of the level to be actually getting a feather. Good signposting for upcoming obstacles, and all that.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Muddy Mountain - NDK-4J0-KSF At least I hope that's mud, folks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Internet Kraken posted:

I've played 2D Mario my entire life and I still don't know how to use the stupid Mario World cape at all.

I'm going to take this possible bait and trying to very briefly explain it: You run, get into flying mode, and then take off. You then are taken up VERY high, and then immediately start to dive-bomb. At this point, if you press the dpad in the opposite direction you're heading (meaning either left or right, don't bother with up or down), you'll stop the fall and gain a bit of air. Then you need to quickly press the dpad in the direction you're heading to gain back momentum. Then it's a somewhat precise loop of 'press dpad in opposite direction, then in forward direction'.

You're really just gaining and losing momentum, like gliding, but strategically taking little moments to get a bit higher up.

I think I've made it sound more complicated than it is, but once you get it, you just 'get it'.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, so I tried to tweet out these instructions and realized that I wrote so much garbage that it's definitely like 50 tweets. I'll just repost it here and link it.

Bridge Out Bayou

Story:

Instructions:

Enemies should not come out of question blocks, if enemies (or piranha plants) come out of pipes this should be signposted early in the level.

Course Type Guidelines:

Object Guidelines:
All courses,

Athletic courses,

You can use hard blocks.

Castle courses,
You can use hard blocks.
You can use burners.

Bonus Blitz rules:
Forest themed course,

(I duplicated the images in my twitter thread if that somehow saves anyone time?)

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made a new level. Took a few days, but I'm finally happy with what I have. Multiple paths. Should hopefully be pretty challenging.

Lost in the Forest of Illusion
0L9-LW6-14G

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 26, 2019