Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Anodyne and it's pretty interesting so far, even if I did need to take a circuitous route to the first boss to get there with as much health as possible. I like it's sense of exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The "buy item from shop" missions are specifically to make sure you know how to buy that item (or type of) from a shop.

And the forklift mission is to make sure you know you wasted 60 dollars on GTA5.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The "buy item from shop" missions are specifically to make sure you know how to buy that item (or type of) from a shop.

Sure, but giving it two optional objectives is, shall we say, pushing it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"So what does humanity bring to the Alliance's fight against the Ur-Quan?" "Well, we have like 10000 nuclear warheads locked away in our vaults" "jesus what"

Yeah, I like the theory that humanity is team "hey hold my beer." I feel like we know ourselves. Think about Star Trek; have you ever noticed that the craziest poo poo only happens when there's a bunch of humans around? Watch any of the shows and look at the completely insane ideas the humans come up with that actually work. Klingons generally default to "I'll beat it to death." Vulcans go "hmm, no I shall science it to death." The Romulans are busy...just being Romulans. Meanwhile a dozen of them are each plotting on how to use the thing to kill the other eleven and take over their homeworld. While they're all arguing how to deal with the thing one of the humans made friends with the weird alien that was killing people, discovered that it just didn't know any better, took it out for a beer, and let it join the Federation.

I mean look at how The Captain dealt with the whole scene in Star Control 2. Hey cool we have this awesome, totally unique Precursor ship that's completely priceless. I'm going to use this as a single point of failure against genocidal space worms. And then he loving succeeds.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Aug 25, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I always like it when humans aren't just the default "neutral" race in sci-fi and fantasy. We have all of Youtube as proof that perhaps our greatest defining characteristic is the desire and ability to do things that make no sense whatsoever just because, and very often succeed in doing so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, I like the theory that humanity is team "hey hold my beer." I feel like we know ourselves. Think about Star Trek; have you ever noticed that the craziest poo poo only happens when there's a bunch of humans around? Watch any of the shows and look at the completely insane ideas the humans come up with that actually work. Klingons generally default to "I'll beat it to death." Vulcans go "hmm, no I shall science it to death." The Romulans are busy...just being Romulans. Meanwhile a dozen of them are each plotting on how to use the thing to kill the other eleven and take over their homeworld. While they're all arguing how to deal with the thing one of the humans made friends with the weird alien that was killing people, discovered that it just didn't know any better, took it out for a beer, and let it join the Federation.

Minor side-note, but this is a thing for humans in Star Trek ands sci-fi stuff in general, and it's a lot of fun to see played with; (I love it too)

quote:

Klingons: Okay we don't get it

Vulcan Science Academy: Get what

Klingons: You Vulcans are a bunch of stuffy prisses but you're also tougher, stronger, and smarter than Humans in every single way

Klingons: Why do you let them run your Federation

Vulcan Science Academy: Look

Vulcan Science Academy: This is a species where if you give them two warp cores they don't do experiments on one and save the other for if the first one blows up

Vulcan Science Academy: This is a species where if you give them two warp cores, they will ask for a third one, immediately plug all three into each other, punch a hole into an alternate universe where humans subscribe to an even more destructive ideological system, fight everyone in it because they're offended by that, steal their warp cores, plug those together, punch their way back here, then try to turn a nearby sun into a torus because that was what their initial scientific experiment was for and they didn't want to waste a trip.

Vulcan Science Academy: They did that last week. We have the write-up right here. it's getting published in about six hundred scientific journals across two hundred different disciplines because of how many established theories their ridiculous little expedition has just called into question. Also, they did turn that sun into a torus, and no one actually knows how.

Vulcan Science Academy: This is why we let them do whatever the hell they want.

Klingons: .... Can we be a part of your Federation

quote:

Let's talk about the USS loving Pegasus, testbed for the first Starfleet cloaking device. Here we have a handful of humans working in secret to develop a cloaking device in violation of a treaty with the Romulans. They're playing catchup trying to develop a technology other species have had for a century. And what do they do? Do they decide to duplicate a Romulan cloaking device precisely, just see if they can match what other species have? Nope. They decide, hey, while we're at it, while we're building our very first one of these things, just to find out if this is possible, let's see if we can make this thing phase us out of normal space so we can fly through planets while we're invisible.

"But why" said the one Vulcan in the room.

"Because that would loving rule" said the Humans, high-fiving each other and slamming cans of 24th-century Red Bull.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Minor side-note, but this is a thing for humans in Star Trek ands sci-fi stuff in general, and it's a lot of fun to see played with; (I love it too)

Incidentally I was actually thinking of those posts while I wrote that. :v:

I actually think that's part of why we tend to portray ourselves as what amounts to intergalactic toddlers among other races in science fiction. We're impulsive and insane but keep coming up with poo poo that nobody else would think of, ever. Do you think an adult could possibly write Axe Cop? gently caress no but it's a thing that exists because a tiny child came up with it then somebody older went "wait that's actually loving brilliant."

I mean really just look at the Federation. Before that the various races just had their own spheres of influence and empires. A lot of them just absolutely did not get along. Then humanity comes along and is like "hey guys why don't we just make one big rear end sphere of influence out of all of ours mushed together, right? But here's the thing, none of us are in charge and we don't conquer anything!" Everybody else is like "wait, what the gently caress?"

Next thing everybody knows the Federation is this cacophonous mess of who the gently caress even knows how many alien races all getting along just fine.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 11:23 on Aug 25, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Mass Effect the humans are the most recent addition to the intergalactic council, having also been the most recent to discover interstellar travel and the mass relay technology. Therefore nobody really likes them because they are space babies who are just the latest weird creature to barge their way into an existing ecosystem. Also, the very first aliens the humans ever ran into got into a war with them immediately because they were violating the laws of this council without knowing it, which resulted in human space racists literally the instant that it was possible for species-ism to be a concept that could be relevant to a human being's life and personality.

edit: Most of the reason humans even have a spot on the council in the first place is BECAUSE of this demonstration of aggression. Humans get things done through brute force and sheer manpower (and firepower) which the other races lack because they expanded into space so early. They plug a big military-sized hole in intergalactic defenses that was a real problem for the council and the people under its watch before they arrived. Why send a fellow alien to do military operations and trade relations when you could just send a human instead, who doesn't have to bother with things like species relations and common law and regard for culture? Humans are the new guys, they don't care. Commander Shepard IS one such entity, which is something a lot of players never really give any thought to.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Aug 25, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Humans loving terrify the other species in Mass Effect, because they've politically done things in the 30 years since their discovery that have taken other species 3000 years.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
An entire species of Tim the Tool Man Taylor daisy chaining increasingly theoretical physics devices together so we can get to the sex planet in less time. That's why humans run the Federation

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Star Trek humans are high up in the Federation because they're the ones who came up with the idea and convinced others to join.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

In Star Trek humans are high up in the Federation because they're the ones who came up with the idea and convinced others to join.

Aliens: constantly fighting and killing each other
Humans: Have you guys thought about like, not killing each other?
Aliens: record scratch
Federation: happens
Humans: Awesome, more people to gently caress!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sure the Federation sounds like it was set up with friendly intentions but it also looks like the biggest gang around. Federation space? More like turf.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Problem with a lot of humanity in sci-fi tropes is it being lazily reworded "Russians used a pencil" stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Incidentally I was actually thinking of those posts while I wrote that. :v:

Worth posting the whole thing in case no one's seen it before. Ignore the tumblerisms, it's a really funny bit.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Problem with a lot of humanity in sci-fi tropes is it being lazily reworded "Russians used a pencil" stuff.

It's certainly an observation, i don't know that it's a problem

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Another thing that somebody pointed out somewhere one time is that the replicator is actually a pretty crazy piece of luxury technology. They take a lot of energy to run apparently and aren't all that common outside of Federation space. They really are an insane piece of technology and it seems like the energy needed to replicate something is way more than the energy needed to do it normally, usually. They're actually incredibly inefficient. That ultimately became a plot point in Voyager.

But the important thing is that if you have enough energy to just run them on demand they make scarcity vanish entirely. Why do people fight? Scarce resources. If there isn't enough poo poo to go around people start killing each other. Why does the Federation economy work? Everybody gets a replicator, no questions asked.

Everybody. Every single loving person gets access to replication technology. Military starship? gently caress it, put replicators on it. Even the bottom rank enlisted people get them. They take a poo poo gently caress ton of energy to actually use? Then make the warp core bigger holy poo poo do I need to think of everything for you people? Oh that makes it ludicrously complex and it constantly breaks? Well call up the academy and get us some more engineers it isn't like it actually costs anything to train them these days. While we're here shove a bunch of antimatter in the warp core I don't give a gently caress. Since they can replicate basically anything simple they're also great for making replacement parts which just loving enables the shenanigans further. Who cares how many gears and sprockets you obliterate when you can just walk over to the wall and be like "yo computer, more sprockets, I'm building something."

I figure part of the problem with everything getting maddeningly complex is that alone. You just know human ships chew up way more electricity than Klingon ones because of all the drat replicators. Even so only a human could have actually come up with that whole system.

Aliens: People keep fighting each other because there's not enough stuff to go around!

Humans: Well I mean you can't consume infinite stuff so let's just make magical machines that give everybody everything they could possibly want. Easy!

Aliens: Yeah but that'll consume a completely absurd amount of power. Just putting the matter together alone...

Humans: Nah, we got that covered already.

Aliens: ...you what? How?

Humans: ANTIMATTER!

Aliens: ...antimatter? You do know how dangerous that poo poo is, right?

Humans: Well yeah but we have like so loving many magnets for that sort of thing.

Aliens: But what if the machine breaks down? How will you fix it?

Humans: Replicating the parts on site. Duh.

Aliens: So you're going to replicate the parts...for the things that power the replicators...

Humans: How else would you do it?

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Aug 25, 2019

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The music in Jet Set Radio Future is so goddamn good.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hell yeah.

Introduced me to hell of hip hop.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Humans went from Internal combustion to Nuclear Reactors in around 100 years.

The Vulcans would be horrified to learn how many lives it took, and then terrified to learn that that was sometimes the point. We invent stuff so much quicker when we're at war.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve long maintained putting an accountant on the bridge wold give us one of the most hated characters in all media.

“Do you know how much each torpedo costs us?”

“Starfleet is gonna scream when they see how much we went over our warp budget this month”

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

I’ve long maintained putting an accountant on the bridge wold give us one of the most hated characters in all media.

“Do you know how much each torpedo costs us?”

“Starfleet is gonna scream when they see how much we went over our warp budget this month”

Memo to All Crew and Officers

Once again we have to remind everybody that it is against ship rules to create or use Holodeck programs that feature real people serving or travelling on board.

All instances and variations of "Beancounter Beatdown" have been deleted.

Thank you for your cooperation.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Isn't money no longer a thing in the Federation?

Kinda hard to be an accountant if there's no money to account for. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

[cue Circle of Life music]

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wafflemoose posted:

They really like to pretend that because they’re post-scarcity they are also post-currency but it is super untrue as shown in the good Star Trek shows like DS9 that point out how filled with dweebs the Federation really is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Elfface posted:

Humans went from Internal combustion to Nuclear Reactors in around 100 years.

The Vulcans would be horrified to learn how many lives it took, and then terrified to learn that that was sometimes the point. We invent stuff so much quicker when we're at war.

Hell, just look at air travel. We invented a mode of travel where even a minor malfunction leads to near-certain death by crash, and then went all-in on that poo poo way before automated controls were ever a thing. We built an entire infrastructure of global transportation where the difference between life and death for all the passengers was one dude's ability to move a stick in just the right way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got quite a bit further in Anodyne and I'm really enjoying the variety in areas, like the Hotel and Zombie Maze were neat. The controls are a little stiff, but due to how many health-pips I've got it's become easy enough to deal with.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Captain Hygiene posted:

[cue Circle of Life music]

I was waiting to get peed on when that happened, I guess Death Stranding is messing with my Kojima expectations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got quite a bit further in Anodyne and I'm really enjoying the variety in areas, like the Hotel and Zombie Maze were neat. The controls are a little stiff, but due to how many health-pips I've got it's become easy enough to deal with.

So are you saying it's a relatively painless experience?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

So are you saying it's a relatively painless experience?

Ha ha... please don't tell anyone I only get that joke because someone on the steam discussion page explained the title :shobon:...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At the cost of your dignity you can use the chicken hat to beat missions, complete side-objectives, and finish side-ops. Getting an S-Rank is easily complimented with a load of options that don't limit your rank.

Then you have games like Red Dead II where every mission is linear without deviation, heavy curated, and with a poo poo-scoring system. You're not allowed to replay a mission for gold-medals using anything other than the weak default loadout.

Perhaps it would be better for some open-worlds not to break up the story into strict missions with rankings, since you then have missions like "Watch cutscene" or "Buy item from shop". Just look at this poo poo: https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Masks

I think ranking systems are a scourge on video games and we need more dynamic, smartly designed stuff like Devil May Cry's style gauge that serve a similar purpose without being obnoxious.

Edit: Though MGSV does get credit for having multiple solutions to getting S ranks beyond "land a million uninterrupted hits, never take a single point of damage, and do it all in world record speedrun time" type stuff. There's also Opus Magnum and other Zachtronics games that rank you on different axes, which are sometimes wholly incompatible, to encourage multiple solutions and further problem solving.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Aug 25, 2019

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I don't like it when a game judges me because I suck at playing it. So what if I took damage or used healing items, I can't be expected to dodge every enemy attack while I'm button mashing out these combo attacks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pretty much. I understand the concept of ranking systems existing to show an increase of skill over time, but when something like DMC penalizes your rank for using healing items, I don't think "well when I'm better at the game I can get a sick rank because I don't need to rely on healing items anymore" instead I think "oh so you're Not Supposed To use healing items, ever" and then five seconds later "boy this game sure is loving frustrating and unfair!!".

Edit: Also a lot of ranking systems defeat their entire purpose by making the entire thing binary. If I only get to unlock cool secret poo poo if I sparkly diamond S rank every mission, then don't even waste my time telling me I only got a D through regular ole lovely S rank.

Also the secret fights in Platinum games that still contribute to your level rank are dumb and should go away.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Aug 25, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wafflemoose posted:

I don't like it when a game judges me because I suck at playing it. So what if I took damage or used healing items, I can't be expected to dodge every enemy attack while I'm button mashing out these combo attacks.

Yeah, definitely. At the very least reserve the ranking system for higher difficulties. Let the casuals play and enjoy the scenery without feeling like they have to perform.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kinda waffled on which thread to put this in because it was a neat little moment that was also infuriating:

I’m playing RE4 for the first time since it came out and I never got super far in it the first time. I know the enemies aren’t zombies but in my current playthrough I have yet to see the parasite pop out - so I was surprised as hell when I blasted a guy’s head clean off with a shotgun, turned around to deal with some other guys, and the headless guy apparently got up and suplexed me to death. I’ve seen my old roommate play through the game before and didn’t remember anything really like that so it just completely caught me with my pants down.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I find RE4 much scarier than REmake 2 since there are only a handful of enemy types to counter in the latter (Zombies, Lickers, Dogs, G-Mutants, and Ivys). RE4 on the other hand is a much longer game and introduces a new foe every chapter to stop you from getting comfortable, and because the enemies speak spanish-gibberish. There's also the Silent-Hill-meets-Trent-Reznor music going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N27kSs882Lw

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't know that I find RE4 scarier (even though I like it better), but I dig the grungy, tense/disturbing feeling it sustains through a lot of the game. And I think the occasional outright horrifying stuff sorta stands out a bit more with regards to that.

food court bailiff posted:

the headless guy apparently got up and suplexed me to death

lol, that'll happen every now and then. It usually makes me jump the first time, and I never figured out if it was intended or a timing glitch in attack vs death triggers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

:words"Mass Effecf:words:

Wasn't the other reason humanity was immediately promoted to being on the Council because, in the first war against the Tourians, humanity had taken weaponry meant for capital-class ships, stuck an engine and cockpit on to them, and called it a day for ship design? I remeber there being a footnote that Humanity was put onto the council because half the council was impressed with Humanity's ingenuity with weapon design, and half were absolutely terrified with the prospect of not having us in a place where they could keep an eye on us holy poo poo what is wrong with hairless apes? I think it was the same footnote that said that humanity wasn't allowed to have a ship class under a certain size (because we're liable to just make it a giant gun again).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Randalor posted:

Wasn't the other reason humanity was immediately promoted to being on the Council because, in the first war against the Tourians, humanity had taken weaponry meant for capital-class ships, stuck an engine and cockpit on to them, and called it a day for ship design? I remeber there being a footnote that Humanity was put onto the council because half the council was impressed with Humanity's ingenuity with weapon design, and half were absolutely terrified with the prospect of not having us in a place where they could keep an eye on us holy poo poo what is wrong with hairless apes? I think it was the same footnote that said that humanity wasn't allowed to have a ship class under a certain size (because we're liable to just make it a giant gun again).

Everyone laughs at people who make ships entirely out of guns in Kingdom Hearts, but honestly it's the most realistically human thing in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

wafflemoose posted:

I think it is implied that within Federation everything is free with certain quota for everyone, but if you need to buy poo poo from someone not on the Fed payroll you can use gold-pressed latinum which is the common currency for everyone else.