Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

usagi drop ends just before the timeskip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That makes me wonder. I saw a pretty baller AMV for it and was wondering if Ballroom e Youkoso is any good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even the manga is fine as long as you don't read past the timeskip.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

AlternateNu posted:

That makes me wonder. I saw a pretty baller AMV for it and was wondering if Ballroom e Youkoso is any good.

I really liked Ballroom, although the lack of real dance animation in the middle to later episodes (lots of still keyframes just panning and bobbing) was frustrating especially in contrast to the very pretty art style and character design. Worth watching but I just wish the studio had more time/budget/animators/whatever because fleshing out the dance scenes would have made it so much better.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the dancing wasn't really animated at the start either

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I remember a few short dance scenes being everything I wanted and then becoming increasingly disappointed over the season's run. Hopefully a season 2 happens and gets more love because I feel like the source material deserves it.

E: vvvvv true

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 23, 2019

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Well first there needs to be more material to draw from unless you want to go all anime-original

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

the show is a fine but slightly mishandled adaption and the comic is one of the greatests of all times

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

looking for an example of kiwi fruit in anime

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Davincie posted:

looking for an example of kiwi fruit in anime

???

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Anyone watching Cop Craft? It's Alien Nation with elves.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm kind of sick of inconclusive or weak endings right now. Please recommend me something whose last arc or episode is its best.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ergo Proxy has an excellent ending that delivers on basically all its themes.

Caligula was a terrible show that had an ending way better than it deserved.

Coffin Princess had a good ending but is two seasons long.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm kind of sick of inconclusive or weak endings right now. Please recommend me something whose last arc or episode is its best.

this is basically just a bunch of my favorite shows in disguise, but all the same:

Revolutionary Girl Utena (note: watch the movie after the TV ending. TV ending is good, movie ending is perfect)

From the New World / Shin Sekai Yori

Kemonozume

Mirai Nikki (manga ending. the show technically covers the manga ending in an OVA but it adds a really weird filler arc RIGHT at the end which isn't offensively bad or anything but screws up the pacing. also, probably the most controversial pick on this list, so start with one of the others)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

grim days on the kiwi front

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

UnfurledSails posted:

Cowboy Bebop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I liked the endings of Barakamon, and Kyousougiga. Both are short and sweet 1-cour shows.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Place Further than Universe's ending is amazing and the second to last episode is one of the best emotional train rides ever

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
They said best, not worst.

For actually relevance, both Gunbuster and Diebuster end on a bang.

Julias fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 25, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gurren lagan's ending is fine, though it's prob better in the movies from all i've heard

samurai champloo's ending is cool

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

gurren lagan's ending is fine, though it's prob better in the movies from all i've heard
it's probably people getting mad(and generally rightfully so) about the wedding scene. maybe the epilogue if they're not a fan of Lantern Jaw Yoko

can't imagine people not liking the absurdity of the entire final arc though. Which is further expanded upon in the movie, yes, though the stuff after the climax is the same.

Cock and Balzac
May 30, 2013
I'm looking for some manga recommendations. But, I hate waiting for releases so it's gotta be something that's finished.

In no particular order, some things I've liked in the past are:

nausicaa of the valley of the wind
akira
master keaton
monster
parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
japanese tengu party illustrated
planetes
ciguatera
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
the lucifer and biscuit hammer
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
baka to gogh
pluto
himizu
goodnight punpun
spirit circle
terrarium in drawer
wanitokagegisu

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The only manga that has been fascinating enough to keep me gripped from beginning to end nonstop was dorohedoro, I don't see it on your list and it doesn't seem terribly out of place, so that's my One Manga Rec

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin is finished and probably would check a lot of your boxes

Edit: Also Girls Last Tour

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 25, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cock and Balzac posted:

I'm looking for some manga recommendations. But, I hate waiting for releases so it's gotta be something that's finished.

akira
master keaton
monster
parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
planetes
ciguatera
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
baka to gogh
pluto
himizu
goodnight punpun
spirit circle
terrarium in drawer
wanitokagegisu

Billy bat

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cock and Balzac posted:

akira
master keaton
monster
parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
planetes
ciguatera
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
baka to gogh
pluto
himizu
goodnight punpun
spirit circle
terrarium in drawer
wanitokagegisu

Vinland Saga's by the same guy who did Planetes and is a straight up masterpiece IMO

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cock and Balzac posted:

ciguatera

Oh man, that's a manga I haven't thought about it a long time. Based on other manga you've liked and this choice I might recommend Sundome, though that's definitely not sonething for everyone. It sticks with me because the ending is frustrating, sad, and somewhat beautiful all in the same.

Also you listed other Urusawa mangas, so I'd definitely check out both Billy Bat and 20th/21st Century Boys.

Abd to cover the drama side, you might enjoy Bitter Virgin

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

UnfurledSails posted:

Takarajima
Kimagure Orange Road and it's movie, I Want to Return to That Day

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Found your post from 2016:

Cock and Balzac posted:

I'm gonna have a bunch of spare time the next couple months, so I wouldn't mind some manga recommendations myself. Here's some stuff I've really liked:

parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
planetes
onani master kurosawa
ciguatera
witches
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
himizu
goodnight punpun

My only stipulation would be its gotta be finished. There's a ton of good ongoing stuff (historie, vinland saga, dorohedoro, soil, etc.), but I just can't live that month-to-month manga life.
You can safely read the bolded now

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cock and Balzac posted:

it's gotta be something that's finished.

MxO
Double Arts

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cock and Balzac posted:

akira
master keaton
monster
parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
planetes
ciguatera
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
baka to gogh
pluto
himizu
goodnight punpun
spirit circle
terrarium in drawer
wanitokagegisu

ive read 90% of these manga, and also only read finished manga, so i feel pretty safe as pegging your tastes as seinen + miserable. im a bit too lazy to copy paste the 100 series that fit this description, so ill just tell you the author of freesia has a lot more stuff, so does the punpun author, the bokurano author, the akira author, the nausicaa author has a few more, the short cuts author has a ton more. then in a final act of laziness im just gonna link my mal, cause you'll find tons more like it in there if you just look at whatever cover seems dark enough

https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Davincie?status=2&order=4&order2=0

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cock and Balzac posted:

you should keep Attack on Titan in the back of your mind since it's very very close to finishing, maybe another 6-10 chapters, and is extremely good so far. Or wait for the anime to finish it off, though with the apparent change of studio I've got my fears they'll drop the ball at the finish line.

Some other finished series recommendations that I've read:

Qualia the Purple(if you enjoy strange sci-fi, this one's a hell of a ride in only 18 chapters)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Knights of Sidonia
Ressentiment
Helck
Ai-Ren
ERASED
Dorohedoro
Franken Fran(though the author did start making new chapters as a sort of sequel, the original ended years ago)
Kakukaku Shikajika / Blank Canvas: My So-Called Artist's Journey
Koe no Kotachi / A Silent Voice
Kumika no Mikaku / Kumika's Sense of Taste
Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso o Kasaneru / The boy who cried wolf tells another lie today
My Brother's Husband
Stravaganza: Queen in the Iron Mask

also, a oneshot, don't read the other chapters since they're extraneous at best, Hotel

CornbeefAndCabbage
Feb 20, 2006
Spin round' the carousel
I think my favorite anime I've ever watched is The Promised Neverland because of how well paced it was. It never felt like it slogged or lagged at any point and it had a very open ended yet satisfying conclusion to season 1. I'm looking for something that also tells a tight, well paced story (preferably psychological thriller/mystery/sci-fi/fantasy in that order, no mechs please) episode number doesn't really matter to me as long as it keeps the pacing consistent throughout.

CornbeefAndCabbage fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 27, 2019

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

CornbeefAndCabbage posted:

I think my favorite anime I've ever watched is The Promised Neverland because of how well paced it was. It never felt like it slogged or lagged at any point and it had a very open ended yet satisfying conclusion to season 1. I'm looking for something that also tells a tight, well paced story (preferably thriller/mystery/sci-fi/fantasy in that order) episode number doesn't really matter to me as long as it keeps the pacing consistent throughout.

Legend of Galactic Heroes might surprise you. It doesn't have a super blistering pace, but it has one half of a filler/recap episode in its entire 100+ episode run. Everything else is always keeping it clicking along, and the plot goes to places I didn't even imagine from the first 20 episodes. The best part is, if you watch Overture to a New War, you'll know instantly whether or not you're on board. It's a 90 minute movie that covers the first few episodes of the series in a much more interesting way.

It's a bit of an ask, I know, but when it comes to super well paced anime it's the first one that comes to mind for me, and the second is Hunter x Hunter. Mirai Nikki is also fun and in sort of the same vein.

e: oh duh, somehow I missed the preferences. Mirai Nikki then for sure, it's a thriller. Not like, a twisty turny sort of thriller but bombast after bombast with lots of gore in it.

klapman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 27, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think my favorite anime I've ever watched is The Promised Neverland because of how well paced it was. It never felt like it slogged or lagged at any point and it had a very open ended yet satisfying conclusion to season 1. I'm looking for something that also tells a tight, well paced story (preferably thriller/mystery/sci-fi/fantasy in that order) episode number doesn't really matter to me as long as it keeps the pacing consistent throughout.

Madoka Magica and Planet With are two that immediately come to mind for me. They're both at the sci-fi and fantasy end of things though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I think my favorite anime I've ever watched is The Promised Neverland because of how well paced it was. It never felt like it slogged or lagged at any point and it had a very open ended yet satisfying conclusion to season 1. I'm looking for something that also tells a tight, well paced story (preferably psychological thriller/mystery/sci-fi/fantasy in that order, no mechs please) episode number doesn't really matter to me as long as it keeps the pacing consistent throughout.

Monster

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

klapman posted:

It's a bit of an ask, I know, but when it comes to super well paced anime it's the first one that comes to mind for me, and the second is Hunter x Hunter. Mirai Nikki is also fun and in sort of the same vein.

Hunter x Hunter slows to a crawl once it hits the Chimera Ant arc though. Like I love it, it's probably my favorite shonen series, but "super well paced" it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chimera ant's pacing is fine if you binge the entire arc across a week with no breaks