Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Angepain posted:

You're right, it is pretty rude to call your political opponents petulant. At least he didn't call anyone a petulant child, that would be even wors-

lol what the gently caress why should Gardiner be at all bothered about promoting "unity" with the loving Lib Dems

has Chukka had a stroke and forgotten which party he's currently in

e: catte taxxe

he seems to be growing in grey a bit on the sides, must be all the stress

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Julio Cruz posted:

To tell you the truth, I've kinda lost track myself

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Borrovan posted:

I've actually heard quite a few ardent monarchists argue that it won't be an issue because Wills is popular & Charles won't outlive Liz :tinfoil:

Can't help but wonder how people simultaneously believe that and support the monarchy
If you have a divine mandate, then God will also ensure the unworthy don't sit long on the throne.

Qwertycoatl posted:

My wild-rear end guess is Charles will reduce support for the monarchy both by existing dislike and by overtly meddling in politics, but things won't come to a head during his reign and the monarchy will end with William's abdication.
Charles abdicates, then becomes the leader of the Tories.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Charles abdicates, then becomes the leader of the Tories.

With the tories' transition from traditionalist FYGM to full-on death cult, I don't think they'd want Charles as tory leader.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Leaders like Trump and Putin and Macron increase support for the monarchy too, lots of soft monarchists use the "you'd rather have a president, like [whichever one I like least]?" line, as if the only options are hereditary crime dynasty or directly elected loudmouth. The Swiss system of no single head of state seems like a good one.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Miggledy Higgens is the best president. I just don't think you could find a better person to represent Ireland. He is everybody's granda

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

lol what the gently caress why should Gardiner be at all bothered about promoting "unity" with the loving Lib Dems

they're trying to spin this story that everyone's ready to stop brexit and it's only selfish jeremy corbyn and his volcanic lust for absolute power that's getting in the way

also has anyone heard any No Corbyns talk from anyone besides the lib dems? I haven't really been following it but you'd expect some of these rebel tories to have popped up and gone "brexit bad but corbyn even worse", but not really?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

they're trying to spin this story that everyone's ready to stop brexit and it's only selfish jeremy corbyn and his volcanic lust for absolute power that's getting in the way

also has anyone heard any No Corbyns talk from anyone besides the lib dems? I haven't really been following it but you'd expect some of these rebel tories to have popped up and gone "brexit bad but corbyn even worse", but not really?

I mean, the Tories might have said No Corbyns a few times. Even the Brave Anti-Brexit Tory Rebel ones.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/16/dominic-grieve-jeremy-corbyn-no-10-labour-brexit

At least Grieve, I think I've seen a few others too.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

baka kaba posted:

None of the Tories are brave enough to actually be seen supporting it so they've all shut up quite quickly.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

oh yeah I'm fully aware the Libs are spineless loving weasels, I just think it's pretty funny that Swinson talking about Corbyn being a danger to the country is fine but Gardiner calling the Libs petulant is unacceptable and instead he should be ~*~promoting unity~*~

pretty sure one or two of the Tories have come out against Corbyn, I think Grieve did it over last weekend maybe

can't wait for Corbyn to ignore all the "stand aside" bleating and force a vote so those fuckers have to go on the record of voting for No Deal With Boris and have that used against them in every election from now until the heat death of the universe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Another argument is the "it's too engrained/it'd be too much hard work." Which isn't true at all, the most British way to scrap the monarchy would just to remove the monarch, pass an Act of Parliament saying s/Crown/People on all previous law, and keep everything else the same, with the head of state being the Lord President of the Council.

The entire thing could then keep trundling on with its mishmash Constitution and magic sticks, only now it'd be called the People's Stick.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WhatEvil posted:

I mean, the Tories might have said No Corbyns a few times. Even the Brave Anti-Brexit Tory Rebel ones.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/16/dominic-grieve-jeremy-corbyn-no-10-labour-brexit

At least Grieve, I think I've seen a few others too.

ohhh ok :tipshat:

still seems to be Swinson making the most noise about it though. Like you'd think the people who are openly risking rebelling against their own party would be the most vocal about needing a compromise candidate, but it's mostly swinson going NOBODY LIKES U JEREMY

Spelman going hard with "I won't support a VONC though". Wonder if people really believe there'll be one or if it's general election time

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

crispix posted:

Miggledy Higgens is the best president. I just don't think you could find a better person to represent Ireland. He is everybody's granda

I seem to recognise his face from watching Hurling.

Hurling is great,

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Qwertycoatl posted:

With the tories' transition from traditionalist FYGM to full-on death cult, I don't think they'd want Charles as tory leader.
Britain, 31 October 2029: Conservative Party leader George Windsor officiates the start of the First Conservative Party Seance, with the ritual sacrifice of a poor, a foreigner, and a true son of England. On this day, long awaited by the living and the dead, he will commune with the glorious deceased, his royal blood giving him a direct link to the kings of old and to loyal departed royalists, giving them a voice in the affairs of modern Britain.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

crispix posted:

He's a great person. Was super involved with early attempts to legalise contraception in 1973 as a Senator, along with another Senator and now former President, Mary Robinson.

In office, he has been critical of the government's austerity measures, stretching the limit of how the role is supposed to be primarily apolitical. He has also been very supportive of trans people lately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

He looks like he's related to mike gapes, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

painted into a coroner posted:

early attempts to legalise contraception in 1973
It always amazes me how recent a lot of this poo poo is, but then again many of the laws criminalizing stuff in the first place are more recent than people think.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

He looks like he's related to mike gapes, though.

How dare you

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Guavanaut posted:

Do they even theoretically have that?

I think it's more that people like anchoring to flag waving and grand traditions and pomp and all that poo poo, and in the absence of rich parasite families that usually ends up as nationalism or something instead. Or Lenin statues.

My boss is a slavering authoritarian, like he legitimately thinks that society is and should be broadly heirarchial and he loving loves the royal family to the point that he got visibly upset when the rest of the office agreed that the UK national anthem is poo poo. He's not even particularly into the royals as celebrities but he is probably incapable of ever thinking that opposing a power structure can be good. He hates Putin for example but always makes a point of talking about what a "strong leader" he is and how this is a very good thing but isn't it a shame that he isn't a nice Tory instead of a filthy Russian.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter what the "rebel" tory MPs say, they'll stick to the party line in the end. Remember how there were supposed to be five or six of them who'd leave the party if Boris became leader?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dead Goon posted:

I seem to recognise his face from watching Hurling.

Hurling is great,

Not when loving Kilkenny seem to get a loving bye to the All Ireland finals every loving year. gently caress off Kilkenny

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nick Boles left the party but still votes with them every single time :rolleyes:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Qwertycoatl posted:

It doesn't matter what the "rebel" tory MPs say, they'll stick to the party line in the end. Remember how there were supposed to be five or six of them who'd leave the party if Boris became leader?

With the single, possible exception of Dominic Grieve I think they'll all fall straight back into line for sure.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Junior G-man posted:

With the single, possible exception of Dominic Grieve I think they'll all fall straight back into line for sure.

What, Mr. "I'm so principled I vote against my own amendments"?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What happened to that Rory Stewart bloke that all the libs loved?

O wait he has stfu and is happily enabling no brexit

I feel like if you asked Swindon/chukka "if the con/lab party changed to your liking would you rejoin it" they would just splutter. Neither care in the sock puppet parties they are apparently leading

Chukka's only stated aim is to be the pm and the only way he will do that is on the labour ticket.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/TPointUK/status/1164958361059831808

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

Miggledy Higgins is the name of a level 120 Gnome Mage created by a 15 year old stoner, and I will brook no argument on this.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

yeah I don't think I'm gonna watch that somehow

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah I'll pass on the brain damage. Handmaid's Tale and international politics is grim enough watching for me today

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

It looks like they both faceswapped with a sex doll.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I bought 24 cans if chopped Toms today in a start of my brexit stash - according the guardian it's the new craze. Anyone else stocking up or am I just suffering from brexit paranoia

Do appliances come from China via NL? i need a new fridge but not until after November...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CancerCakes posted:

I bought 24 cans if chopped Toms today in a start of my brexit stash - according the guardian it's the new craze. Anyone else stocking up or am I just suffering from brexit paranoia

Do appliances come from China via NL? i need a new fridge but not until after November...

It was all the rage in March, and I can't think it's not going to be again.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it's nothing to do with what they look like, just that TPUK is basically fash propaganda so tbh I could do with it not being posted ITT

even if it is just to laugh at I'd still rather not give them the views

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's worth it for the replies (half of them in Irish).

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

EU nationals seeking to secure their residency rights in the UK ahead of the government’s new deadline ending freedom of movement in a no-deal Brexit face being unable to apply on their iPhones.

The Home Office has declined to say when the app to apply for the EU settlement scheme would be ready for use on Apple iPhones, which account for just under half the smartphones used in the UK, according to data company StatCounter.

The uncertainty potentially affects hundreds of thousands of people, who can only prove their identity to apply for the EU settlement scheme, which ensures EU citizens’ residency rights in the UK after Brexit, by using the EU Exit app on an Android device or by post.

Operators for the scheme’s helpline are telling callers they cannot confirm whether the EU Exit app will be available on Apple iPhones before October 31, when prime minister Boris Johnson insists the UK will leave the bloc, with or without a deal.

That's cool and really good for EU citizens in the UK. Thanks Home Office for yet another winner.

Hope you all feel ready for a well-managed, properly prepared hard Brexit.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What I don't get is why hating the EU and loving Brexit is such a celebrated cause among all the more fashy conservatives worldwide.

I mean I guess immigrants and Putin and nationalism, but it's just so loving weird to hear Donald Trump spout Brexiteer talking points. You'd think there'd be at least some disagreement between them.

e: Certainly the global left has more than its fairh share of diasgreement.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 25, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"The Irish Question" is a wonderful way of putting it to be sure.

I like to imagine the actual irish question is ducky ar la y/n?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Also let's not post fash propaganda from TPUK, which is even more pointless than its US mothership.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the one on the right moves like a deepfake projection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

"The Irish Question" is a wonderful way of putting it to be sure.

I like to imagine the actual irish question is ducky ar la y/n?

Bit early but:

UKMT September 2019 - we (Ireland) should simply invade UK peacefully