Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Heide Kalmthout by roland luijken, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Nice stuff!

I went to Bryce Canyon a few months ago:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I love that I can browse this thread at work on my phone, zoomed in a little so that user names aren’t on screen, and still immediately recognise an alkanphel photo, even one with no chairs in it

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 14, 2019

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Two photos from Cinque Terre, Italy. It's a neat collection of five little towns within hiking distance of each other on the coast.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 16, 2019

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I found the discussion of the last few pages really interesting, as it touches on some things that I haven't really thought much about. In particular, here's two bits that I grabbed me:

Awkward Davies posted:

I was just reading the Alec Soth interview of Stephen Shore in the Financial Times and I thought this quote was relevant:

quote:

I wanted to take a picture that felt natural, that felt like seeing and didn’t feel like picture-making.

elgarbo posted:

Personally, I think it's worth thinking about two things whenever you're going to take a picture, especially if that picture is part of a broader series: audience and purpose. Who am I talking to with this picture, and what am I trying to say to them. It is absolutely valid for the audience to be yourself, and your message to be "I wanted to capture a special moment." That's pretty much the essence of many of the photos we take when we travel.

As for myself, I guess I'm not totally sure what my main purpose for taking photos is. For travel, I want to preserve something, like a physical memory. I often keep a journal too, then write up some descriptions to go with my pictures. Also, when I'm traveling by myself, it gives me something hands-on to do. Sometimes I go overboard and take photos when I ought to be soaking in the moment, but often photography encourages me to consider my environment more attentively. For example, I once took a trip to Carlsbad Caverns (fantastic place, by the way), and went into the cave twice: once in the evening and once the following morning. The first time, I took my camera, and my photos allow me to admire the amazing formations in detail and remember the trip more clearly after the fact. The second time, though, I left my camera in the car and had a spectacular time just being there. I'm not sure which I enjoyed more.

Still, the quotes above are something I should think about more. I should consider what makes a place special enough to share. How should I go about that? Pretty much my entire photo taking process can be summarized as "Oh, that looks neat, let me take a picture." I try to make a pleasing composition, but I don't have much of an "idea" behind my pictures. I guess I should take more time in the moment to pause and self-reflect? Anyway, I'd lover to hear more about people's photographic processes.

And since nobody else is posting pictures, here are some more photos from Cinque Terre. Any feedback on these? I guess I want to show the rugged beauty of nature mixed with the adaptable lifestyles of people. Also, I really like boats.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 16, 2019

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

I should consider what makes a place special enough to share. How should I go about that?

You don't. You just take the photos. What might be special to you when you see it could mean utterly nothing to another person. Thinking about sharing right from the start is probably going about this totally wrong already.

quote:

Pretty much my entire photo taking process can be summarized as "Oh, that looks neat, let me take a picture." I try to make a pleasing composition, but I don't have much of an "idea" behind my pictures. I guess I should take more time in the moment to pause and self-reflect? Anyway, I'd lover to hear more about people's photographic processes.

There has to be an intent in your photos. If the intent is "Oh, that looks neat, let me take a picture." then that is what the photo will be (for you). If there's a deeper or real intent, then your photos might probably start to have more meaning. My photographic process is that I don't think about all these and I just take photos. The intent for me just comes as an internal response to the scene, codified over hundreds of photos.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I think that “oh, hey, this is neat” is a perfectly good motivation for taking a picture. Your job as a photographer is to figure out a way to make the eventual viewers of the picture to also think “oh, hey, this is neat”. All the intent/meaning in the world isn’t going to mean poo poo if you don’t have the tools to make that come across in your final image.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Rot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 16, 2019

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This video conveyed a pretty tough point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4pE-pdhnJw

First and foremost, do it for yourself. Others may or may not like it. This may or may not matter to you.

Edit: I am doing it because most of my family lives a continent away, and photographs are a much better way to explain the adventures I go on.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 17, 2019

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Männlichen - Swiss Alps

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for the advice, folks. Yes, I certainly take photos for myself first and foremost. But I also like sharing photos, so that's why I was asking.

I really like exploring European Cathedrals and Churches. Here are three from my last trip:

St. Pierre Cathedral, Geneva, Switzerland. This place was cool. Paying a little extra to go up to the attic and bell towers was worthwhile.

Church of San Giovanni Battista, Monterosso al Mare, Italy.

Saint Goar's and Saint Elizabeth's Catholic Parish Church, Sankt Goar, Germany.

This looks like a nice place. I guess that isn't an active railroad tracks? (I ask because of the trees, not the chair.)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

DorianGravy posted:

Thanks for the advice, folks. Yes, I certainly take photos for myself first and foremost. But I also like sharing photos, so that's why I was asking.

I really like exploring European Cathedrals and Churches. Here are three from my last trip:

St. Pierre Cathedral, Geneva, Switzerland. This place was cool. Paying a little extra to go up to the attic and bell towers was worthwhile.

Church of San Giovanni Battista, Monterosso al Mare, Italy.

Saint Goar's and Saint Elizabeth's Catholic Parish Church, Sankt Goar, Germany

Yo you need to either correct your vertical converging lines in post or use them creatively, just having those verticals slightly leaning in, in very formal, ordered compositions is bugging the crap out of me.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross-post from the large format film thread.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

This looks like a nice place. I guess that isn't an active railroad tracks? (I ask because of the trees, not the chair.)

Yup it hasn’t been active in a few decades I think.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I viddy quite a colour cast.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Ric posted:

I viddy quite a colour cast.

Ha. Yep it's Thamesmead.

Too much blue? I like it I have to say but I'm more used to B&W.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Ha. Yep it's Thamesmead.

Too much blue? I like it I have to say but I'm more used to B&W.
Yes, a bit too blue for my tastes, but you can get away with it so long as it doesn't stand out too much from your other photographs.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

hope and vaseline posted:

Yo you need to either correct your vertical converging lines in post or use them creatively, just having those verticals slightly leaning in, in very formal, ordered compositions is bugging the crap out of me.

I've been struggling with this a bit as well. There are few pictures from my recent vacation that every time I look at them they just look ever so slightly off, but when I turn on grid lines and such they look alright. Is there a tutorial or something out there that would be of any use to convince myself that I'm not going crazy every time I look at these drat pictures?

Big McHuge fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 26, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I just got a camera a few days ago. I didn’t see a thread for buildings but I saw some in this thread so here are mine. I have no idea what I’m doing, but I think these look nice.

If it’s not obvious, I love bright and vivid pictures.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

---> Wildlife thread. :argh:

(Cool pics.)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

I've been struggling with this a bit as well. There are few pictures from my recent vacation that every time I look at them they just look ever so slightly off, but when I turn on grid lines and such they look alright. Is there a tutorial or something out there that would be of any use to convince myself that I'm not going crazy every time I look at these drat pictures?

Use the grid lines in Photoshop with the various transform and stretching tools.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

elgarbo posted:

---> Wildlife thread. :argh:

(Cool pics.)

Portrait thread because animals are people too!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

alkanphel posted:

Use the grid lines in Photoshop with the various transform and stretching tools.

I have been but my brain must be broken.

For example, the grid lines are telling me this is fine:

But every time I look at it, the tower just looks *slightly* off. It might be an optical illusion. Or maybe I took the photo incorrectly. Or maybe the tower is just slightly leaning. I'd like to figure it out since this is one of my favorite pictures that I've taken since buying my camera last year, and it's the first one that I know for sure I'd like to print out and frame.

Additionally, since I'm thinking of printing/framing, would it be worthwhile to photoshop out the conduit running up the side?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

But every time I look at it, the tower just looks *slightly* off. It might be an optical illusion. Or maybe I took the photo incorrectly. Or maybe the tower is just slightly leaning. I'd like to figure it out since this is one of my favorite pictures that I've taken since buying my camera last year, and it's the first one that I know for sure I'd like to print out and frame.

Additionally, since I'm thinking of printing/framing, would it be worthwhile to photoshop out the conduit running up the side?

That last bit is really up to you. It's like photoshopping out power lines. Are you documenting a scene, or making a composition? The conduit is there, physically. Remove it and you're making a version of that tower that doesn't exist in real life. That's fine, but it can be a deep rabbit hole where "why not add a dragon to the top of the tower" becomes a legitimate question. I lean toward leaving things like that as-is. It sucks that the power lines are interfering with the view, but in reality they were part of the view and I should accept and maybe even embrace that.
An errant twig or a bird that flew in front of the scene at just the wrong time, sure, clone that out, but permanent stuff should generally be left as-is, imo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think it comes down to what the goal of the photo is. What emotion or feeling are you trying to elicit? Does the power line or conduit or whatever help that, or interfere with it?

2019-05-31_05-20-42 by CodfishPhotographer, on Flickr

The original of this shot had a dark grey electrical box on the right side of the frame, it was a big distraction. I remembered the scene as being one where there was a bright pink room hidden down at the end of a long white hallway. It felt kind of like spying a weird hidden magic world or something, but the electrical box hindered that feeling. Yes, that was my fault for framing the shot to include the electrical box, but there wasn't any way I could capture that feeling without also getting the box in the frame. I think editing it out, while not accurate to real life, IS accurate to the feeling I wanted to convey and feels more accurate to what I experienced at the time.

For another example, Black and white photos aren't accurate to real life, but can effectively convey feelings and tone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

It's the imbalance of the two walls that's doing it, the wall on the left hits the edge of the frame on the top but the wall on the right exits on the right edge. If you do a test and crop the top until both walls exit along the top edge the feeling of being tilted diminishes.

But you're gonna lose the top of the tower if you do that so you're kinda hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think it comes down to what the goal of the photo is. What emotion or feeling are you trying to elicit? Does the power line or conduit or whatever help that, or interfere with it?

2019-05-31_05-20-42 by CodfishPhotographer, on Flickr

The original of this shot had a dark grey electrical box on the right side of the frame, it was a big distraction. I remembered the scene as being one where there was a bright pink room hidden down at the end of a long white hallway. It felt kind of like spying a weird hidden magic world or something, but the electrical box hindered that feeling. Yes, that was my fault for framing the shot to include the electrical box, but there wasn't any way I could capture that feeling without also getting the box in the frame. I think editing it out, while not accurate to real life, IS accurate to the feeling I wanted to convey and feels more accurate to what I experienced at the time.

For another example, Black and white photos aren't accurate to real life, but can effectively convey feelings and tone.

Yeah I totally get that, especially in something like that. I was just generalizing, and it's just my preference towards a more documentary style. But edits and such can be beautiful and excellent as well. If you're constructing a scene in your head, it makes sense to do edits like that to make the photo reflect that scene. It's like using props. The photo of the chair on the railway looks like a whimsical found thing, but could easily have been placed there by alkanphel to elicit the same idea. It works either way.

xzzy posted:

It's the imbalance of the two walls that's doing it, the wall on the left hits the edge of the frame on the top but the wall on the right exits on the right edge. If you do a test and crop the top until both walls exit along the top edge the feeling of being tilted diminishes.

But you're gonna lose the top of the tower if you do that so you're kinda hosed.

You could probably get away with cloning out the top-leftmost stone in the wall and replacing it with some of the cloud background and it might accomplish the same thing fairly subtly.