Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Vakal posted:

I've been looking at Onward since it's on sale and I'm just curious if it plays anything like the the old Delta Force games where you basically just have to kill every enemy in a setting however you want.

I like it. It's got decent firearms handling (see me trying to use it to train my kid above.) And it's reasonably easy to find a coop game and hunt bots, or do it solo. Map design is generally pretty decent with some long firing lanes, tight chokes, and ample cover. Havent tried pvp yet because I don't wanna deal with Warsaw pact guns.

I think I got it on sale around what it's at now and no ragrets; it's heavy in my rotation.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't the non-Vive control schemes in H3VR all consist of "angle the thumbstick and click in to reload/slide bolt/toggle safety"?
Nah... I mean, maybe for other controllers you do that, but on the Index you use the touchpad, which I find works OK for the most part, though it's not perfect. There is the click-to-sprint in default twin stick locomotion mode IIRC, but I changed the ingame config so you move with left and push forward on the right for sprint. Just today I've also adjusted the SteamVR contoller bindings so the A and B buttons emulate touchpad clicks instead of being completely unused; A now drops the mag and B the releases the bolt. This is admittedly a considerable improvement, as before in the heat of battle I found I sometimes switched firing mode/engaged the safety (touchpad left) instead of dropping the mag (touchpad down).

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

SirViver posted:

Nah... I mean, maybe for other controllers you do that, but on the Index you use the touchpad, which I find works OK for the most part, though it's not perfect. There is the click-to-sprint in default twin stick locomotion mode IIRC, but I changed the ingame config so you move with left and push forward on the right for sprint. Just today I've also adjusted the SteamVR contoller bindings so the A and B buttons emulate touchpad clicks instead of being completely unused; A now drops the mag and B the releases the bolt. This is admittedly a considerable improvement, as before in the heat of battle I found I sometimes switched firing mode/engaged the safety (touchpad left) instead of dropping the mag (touchpad down).

Im fairly certain the move on left right to sprint Anton added about 30 minutes after the knucks came out...

Seperate note, What kind of microphone do people use to stream/record video? i have an HTC Vive and the microphone on it is pretty rear end.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The_Fuzzinator posted:

Im fairly certain the move on left right to sprint Anton added about 30 minutes after the knucks came out...

Seperate note, What kind of microphone do people use to stream/record video? i have an HTC Vive and the microphone on it is pretty rear end.

The headset bolted to my Hyper X Cloud Flights.

Saq and others use a Mod Mic for non index poo poo. Index mic is pretty decent.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My reaction to Thirty Two Pounds For Tetris was also horror until the Ion Maiden Devs turned out to be shitlords, then I got a refund on that game and bought Tetris Effect instead.

It's very much a game for people who get entranced by shiny lights and reactive music and feeling different emotions so if you're not capable or willing to feel immersed (This isn't a bad or abnormal thing) yeah it won't do anything for you. Me and the fiancee love it though.

I haven't played Tetris for years by this point despite being hooked on it when the original Gameboy was out, so coming back to it combined with the crazy tight audiovisual designs of That Guy That Made Rez is pretty transcendent for me.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

The headset bolted to my Hyper X Cloud Flights.

Saq and others use a Mod Mic for non index poo poo. Index mic is pretty decent.

If by pretty decent you mean superior in quality to a $400 professional Shure mic then yeah.
The index mic is a goddamn miracle.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Songbearer posted:

My reaction to Thirty Two Pounds For Tetris was also horror until the Ion Maiden Devs turned out to be shitlords, then I got a refund on that game and bought Tetris Effect instead.

It's very much a game for people who get entranced by shiny lights and reactive music and feeling different emotions so if you're not capable or willing to feel immersed (This isn't a bad or abnormal thing) yeah it won't do anything for you. Me and the fiancee love it though.

I haven't played Tetris for years by this point despite being hooked on it when the original Gameboy was out, so coming back to it combined with the crazy tight audiovisual designs of That Guy That Made Rez is pretty transcendent for me.

My only two gripes about Tetris Effect are that the speed increases are pretty spastic at times. It would have been better if it just started each stage slower and then gradually sped up instead of jumping from like speed 4 directly to speed 12.

Second is that since all the shapes are colored the same, it sometimes takes a moment to recognize which of the similar shapes you are dealing with. This isn't a problem at slow speeds but at high speeds you literally only have a fraction of a second at times to plan your moves. I know they didn't color them like regular Tetris for artistic reasons, bit it still gets annoying at times.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know what game this is from?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

LLSix posted:

No Man's Sky. Maybe modded because I don't remember any of the aliens looking like that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's one of the new guys.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

i like how he wants a hug

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LLSix posted:

Please join us here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864065

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Vakal posted:

My only two gripes about Tetris Effect are that the speed increases are pretty spastic at times. It would have been better if it just started each stage slower and then gradually sped up instead of jumping from like speed 4 directly to speed 12.

Second is that since all the shapes are colored the same, it sometimes takes a moment to recognize which of the similar shapes you are dealing with. This isn't a problem at slow speeds but at high speeds you literally only have a fraction of a second at times to plan your moves. I know they didn't color them like regular Tetris for artistic reasons, bit it still gets annoying at times.

The tempo changes are the heart of building a narrative flow during each scene. It still has the classic Marathon modes in Freeplay.

Also, you can turn off the level specific block models in the settings and have classic Tetris colors during the campaign.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whoah just downloaded blade and sorcery its next level. The physics are a little wonky but in so many of the other experiences there's no "physicality" to anything, poo poo just clips through and animates willy nilly.

It was really satisfying that some of my LARP dork tricks like trapping and controlling weapons using a bearded axe and an arming sword to pin them and try to strip them away actually work. Losing my weapons in the pit fight and resorting to grabbing motherfuckers by the throat and pummelling them is satisfying too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This is funny. Zadara, a company that sells data storage services, is giving away three Oculus Quest VR gaming systems at VMworld this week.

Weird but nice to see VR becoming so mainstream it is given away at completely unrelated events.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Vakal posted:

Yeah those drat L blocks always take me a second to figure out which way it goes. Everything else is fine though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

First of May posted:

The tempo changes are the heart of building a narrative flow during each scene. It still has the classic Marathon modes in Freeplay.

Also, you can turn off the level specific block models in the settings and have classic Tetris colors during the campaign.

Good to know. Thanks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Owlbear Camus posted:

Whoah just downloaded blade and sorcery its next level. The physics are a little wonky but in so many of the other experiences there's no "physicality" to anything, poo poo just clips through and animates willy nilly.

It was really satisfying that some of my LARP dork tricks like trapping and controlling weapons using a bearded axe and an arming sword to pin them and try to strip them away actually work. Losing my weapons in the pit fight and resorting to grabbing motherfuckers by the throat and pummelling them is satisfying too.

Blade and Sorcery is so legit. Spears are amazing. One clean thrust through center mass will ruin anyone's day.

If you haven't figured it out yet, adjusting grip on two handed weapons while you're holding them is a great technique. You can choke up close to the head on the axe for the first part of the swing and let your hand slide to full extension on the axe for more power.
You adjust grip by holding the triggers while not releasing the grip button.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I've decided it's the best current VR game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Walrus posted:

I've decided it's the best current VR game.

can you hug that adorable triceratops alien though?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hellsau posted:

can you hug that adorable triceratops alien though?

yes. more importantly you can tame and ride the creatures on planets.

Puella
Oct 31, 2013

The meaning of life is The Sims.

Vakal posted:

I've been looking at Onward since it's on sale and I'm just curious if it plays anything like the the old Delta Force games where you basically just have to kill every enemy in a setting however you want.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but Onward is the only game on VR to make me extremely sick.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Onward made me incredibly motion sick the first sesh till I turned on snap turns.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh yeah, I can get along completely with smooth movement, but smooth turning for some reason is barf city for me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Turn IRL

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lemming posted:

Turn IRL

Yeah, that's fine now that I have a Quest and won't be tying myself in knots with the cord plugged into the headset

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gort posted:

Yeah, that's fine now that I have a Quest and won't be tying myself in knots with the cord plugged into the headset

Never had that issue with a cord. You get used to it.

Wireless is baller though. >_>

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah being able to do circlestrafing without having to switch sides every 3 circles is basically the sole reason i got my wireless adapter lol

Puella
Oct 31, 2013

The meaning of life is The Sims.

Gort posted:

It's behind you though. Just turn your whole body.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So I can tell already where the bottleneck is on more intensive games with my setup (i7 9700k, 16gb, geforce 1060 3MB). I get some disorienting tearing and warping when too many guys come for me in Blade and Sorc and stuff.

I plan to remedy that sooner than later.

Assuming I'm an Nvidia fanboy to a fault whats best card under 500? What about if I up that to 800 bucks, and will I notice the extra performance?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Tetris Effect is surprisingly robust, and has a mode that accurately emulates Tetris The Grandmaster, including being able to turn on Initial Rotation and Initial Hold in the options

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Owlbear Camus posted:

So I can tell already where the bottleneck is on more intensive games with my setup (i7 9700k, 16gb, geforce 1060 3MB). I get some disorienting tearing and warping when too many guys come for me in Blade and Sorc and stuff.

Assuming I'm an Nvidia fanboy to a fault whats best card under 500? What about if I up that to 800 bucks, and will I notice the extra performance?

A 2070 Super would be a very worthwhile upgrade over a 1060 3GB.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Honestly the 3GB of VRAM is probably your bottleneck, and grabbing an 8GB+ card will do you wonders.

comper posted:

A 2070 Super would be a very worthwhile upgrade over a 1060 3GB.

yeah this, or just go for the 2080 Super if you wanna splurge

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I may get my hands on a Lenovo Mirage soon. This is a Daydream headset, and I have been told it requires a modern Android phone for initial setup (which I don’t have). Is there a way to use these devices without owning a smartphone? Bluestacks?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Grundulum posted:

I may get my hands on a Lenovo Mirage soon. This is a Daydream headset, and I have been told it requires a modern Android phone for initial setup (which I don’t have). Is there a way to use these devices without owning a smartphone? Bluestacks?

According to the CNET review you don't need a phone app for that headset

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Daydream is bad. Like slightly better than google cardboard with nearly no software support. It’s really bad.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

According to the CNET review you don't need a phone app for that headset

That’s weird, but consistent with what I saw on Lenovo’s documentation. I’m supposed to get a Mirage to develop software on, and the person who is supposed to send it to me said, and I quote, “You need to have a phone with the Daydream app to set the headset up for the first time.” She tried to use it herself but could not get through setup without a phone in-hand.

And the Mirage isn’t your typical Daydream product. It’s a Quest with worse controllers and a weaker processor, at the same price point. Completely standalone (or so I thought).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm getting some hiccups on my Index with Skyrim VR running a bunch of mods and a lightweight ENB, where it was fine on my Rift. I'm guessing it can push like 100fps just fine but that 120 point is a bit too high and 144 is just not happening. It's actually more jarring because you notice the frame dips more than you would with everything just locked at a solid 90. This is on an i7-8700k OCed to 5 gigs and an 8 gig 1070.

I should probably just lock it to 90.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Grundulum posted:

That’s weird, but consistent with what I saw on Lenovo’s documentation. I’m supposed to get a Mirage to develop software on, and the person who is supposed to send it to me said, and I quote, “You need to have a phone with the Daydream app to set the headset up for the first time.” She tried to use it herself but could not get through setup without a phone in-hand.

And the Mirage isn’t your typical Daydream product. It’s a Quest with worse controllers and a weaker processor, at the same price point. Completely standalone (or so I thought).

Is your mirage different from the mirage solo? Maybe I looked up the wrong product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

I'm getting some hiccups on my Index with Skyrim VR running a bunch of mods and a lightweight ENB, where it was fine on my Rift. I'm guessing it can push like 100fps just fine but that 120 point is a bit too high and 144 is just not happening. It's actually more jarring because you notice the frame dips more than you would with everything just locked at a solid 90. This is on an i7-8700k OCed to 5 gigs and an 8 gig 1070.

I should probably just lock it to 90.

The Index is also significantly higher resolution, isn't it? Despite having a Pimax there are many games that are still Vive-only for me due to performance. Most 'full' games - Skyrim, NMS, etc. Heck I have the same proc as you and a 1080 and I still get like 40% repro in Skyrim in the Vive.