Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

happyhippy posted:

There used to be bus trips over the Canadian border to get cheaper drugs.
But I think that was made illegal or stamped out.
As profits.

Yeah I was gonna say the black market for cheap drugs is called "Canada"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao which blue cross cuz I think they're different for each region. I mean I have blue cross and it will cover gender surgery and hormones for my wife, but nothing else, while meanwhile people on these very forums are getting entirely new butts and boobs covered :colbert:

massachusetts

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

terrified of my bathroom posted:

for-profit health insurance is one of those things that should instantly radicalize people and it astounds me that it doesn't. if you think about it for more than like, 5 seconds you realize that they inherently want to pay out as little money as possible because every dime they pay out is less profit for them, but ofc that means questioning the Inherent Goodness of The Free Market and Competition so it'll never happen

Free healthcare would be good for business but the real scumbags know it might push wages up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Free healthcare would be good for business but the real scumbags know it might push wages up.

How would it push wages up? It's not like they're going to give you the money they spend on your healthcare back or anything, and having more healthy people in the workforce would mean more people competing for the same number of jobs so I'd think wages would go down if anything.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

How would it push wages up? It's not like they're going to give you the money they spend on your healthcare back or anything, and having more healthy people in the workforce would mean more people competing for the same number of jobs so I'd think wages would go down if anything.

If you aren't forced to get a job so you can literally stay alive you might shop around for a decent wage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If you aren't forced to get a job so you can literally stay alive you might shop around for a decent wage.

You're still forced to get a job to literally stay alive, it just shifts from "dying immediately of a chronic illness" to "losing your house and car and dying on the street when winter comes". It doesn't stop being loving America just because we fixed one part of it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

anecdotally, i know a ton of people who are only still working for health insurance

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shame Boy posted:

From what I've read here it's that disconnecting health insurance from your employer would mean people don't have to stay in their lovely exploitative underpaid job just to maintain some semblance of "health insurance" (I use the term extremely loosely) and would be able to quit more easily, so employers (sorry, your :siren: GLORIOUS JOB CREATORS :siren:) would have to pay more to attract victims.

e:fb, but I used :siren: so

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
We got single payer private health insurance in Australia and it just totally works, even if you're heavily encouraged to get it in order to prop up the ailing Baby Boomers

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I think the latest thing in Australia is legislation where for every year under the age of.. I think 30 years, that you DONT have private healthcare, the surcharges for public health go up for you by a few percent each year?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

My employer pays about $30,000 a year to cover an employee and their family. The coverage is decent but it isn’t amazing by any means. Imagine how many upper management vultures would love to put some of that money back into their pockets.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Schneider Inside Her posted:

We got single payer private health insurance in Australia and it just totally works, even if you're heavily encouraged to get it in order to prop up the ailing Baby Boomers

You mean the same private health insurance industry that screamed to abolish Medicare because their business is failing.

The head of a large private insurer posted:

"We love this word Medicare, it’s like Bambi," Mr Fitzgibbon said. "I don’t want to be seen as the one who wants to shoot Bambi, but I think there’s a better way of delivering universal healthcare which is more efficient and fairer."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

TheMostFrench posted:

I think the latest thing in Australia is legislation where for every year under the age of.. I think 30 years, that you DONT have private healthcare, the surcharges for public health go up for you by a few percent each year?

Public health prices don't change - they're still covered under Medicare. The private health insurance tax deduction drops for each year over 30 you're not covered. You need to be earning pretty decent money for it to make the cost vs tax deduction pay off. Basically it's a way of starving Medicare of money so that the system looks poo poo and we can get USA style healthcare.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Public health systems aren't without their issues either let's be real. Conservative government's treat them like loving piggy banks when they need to squeeze money into a budget to deliver tax cuts, or cut spending, or deliver surplus budgets, or look like they're paying down debt, or whatever other bullshit austerity metric governments use to trick people into thinking they're doing a good job. NZ is a case study in that under the previous government who basically refused the public health system any capital spending for nearly 10 years. There's a deep dive into some of the woes facing our health system in the paper today actually: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/115236249/healthcare-in-new-zealand-a-victim-of-its-own-success

Obviously none of these problems are as bad as some of the poo poo you hear about in the US, but still.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

little munchkin posted:

my stepmother works in the billing department of a large hospital network and everyone in her building does nothing but negotiate with insurance. teams deal with one specific company and each insurance company has their own team that does nothing but negotiate back. every time you get health care in the united states, this is where your money is going.

its like stockbrokers, for medicine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

Public health systems aren't without their issues either let's be real. Conservative government's treat them like loving piggy banks when they need to squeeze money into a budget to deliver tax cuts, or cut spending, or deliver surplus budgets, or look like they're paying down debt, or whatever other bullshit austerity metric governments use to trick people into thinking they're doing a good job. NZ is a case study in that under the previous government who basically refused the public health system any capital spending for nearly 10 years. There's a deep dive into some of the woes facing our health system in the paper today actually: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/115236249/healthcare-in-new-zealand-a-victim-of-its-own-success

Obviously none of these problems are as bad as some of the poo poo you hear about in the US, but still.

Also lol good luck if you're trans. Friend of mine in the UK spent years just trying to convince the NHS that yes, she is a girl, no she's not just "sexually fetishizing having sex with herself" :wtc: and yes, she deserves treatment, before she finally just loving gave up and now orders greymarket estrogen and hopes it doesn't poison her.

I mean I'd still maybe prefer that to America's current system of "trans healthcare is kinda sorta ok if you have a job, and if you don't then you don't even need to worry about it anyway because you're already dead!" but yeah.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Also lol good luck if you're trans. Friend of mine in the UK spent years just trying to convince the NHS that yes, she is a girl, no she's not just "sexually fetishizing having sex with herself" :wtc: and yes, she deserves treatment, before she finally just loving gave up and now orders greymarket estrogen and hopes it doesn't poison her.

I mean I'd still maybe prefer that to America's current system of "trans healthcare is kinda sorta ok if you have a job, and if you don't then you don't even need to worry about it anyway because you're already dead!" but yeah.

New Zealand literally doesn't have a surgeon who performs gender reassignment so the waitlists for that here are currently 40 years.

The public health guidelines on other trans issues tend to be pretty good though I think.

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Aug 25, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Nastier Nate posted:

My employer pays about $30,000 a year to cover an employee and their family. The coverage is decent but it isn’t amazing by any means. Imagine how many upper management vultures would love to put some of that money back into their pockets.

I asked my employer nicely for a raise because I dont accept any bennies from them. it's been 3 months since I've asked and 4 months when my review was due lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

So why isn't there a bootlegger market for cheap medications? Seems like a logical step to do, especially in building non-capitalist production. Is it just the War On Drugs paranoia, or is there something obvious I'm missing?

the chemical engineers talented enough to set that up are already working for pharma companies

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean they're just going to wind up pepper spraying themselves when they forget how to disarm it or something so I'm in favor of this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Nastier Nate posted:

During our last ESOP meeting the CEO or whatever the gently caress his role is said they were working on making the insurance better because "you guys pay a lot and every survey we get back talks about how bad it is. We pay more out of our pockets and agree that it's not good" supposedly there's things in the works but he wasn't able to say what they were yet.

Also ESOP programs are dumb and I absolutely don't trust it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just got an email that this medicine I was told would be free is actually $100 because instead of filling it with a generic they used the name brand.

I knew there was a catch.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

Just got an email that this medicine I was told would be free is actually $100 because instead of filling it with a generic they used the name brand.

I knew there was a catch.

Did they just not have generics or did your doctor write the name brand in the script and check the little no substitutions box like an rear end in a top hat?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

Did they just not have generics or did your doctor write the name brand in the script and check the little no substitutions box like an rear end in a top hat?

They said they have the generic but the script was for Proair HFA so they filled it with that. Not sure if the doctor clicked no substitutions or not since it was all digital but probably.

I did spend 30 minutes on the phone with them and they knocked it down to the $25 generic price claiming that it still has a copay even though the paperwork from HR says there isn't one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

They said they have the generic but the script was for Proair HFA so they filled it with that. Not sure if the doctor clicked no substitutions or not since it was all digital but probably.

I did spend 30 minutes on the phone with them and they knocked it down to the $25 generic price claiming that it still has a copay even though the paperwork from HR says there isn't one

IIRC if it's certain kinds of drugs (generally the more controlled substances) they have to fill it exactly as written even if the doc didn't check the "no substitutions box", but I'm pretty sure something as benign as albuterol doesn't fall into that category. Yeah I'd check with your doctor and see if they accidentally wrote it weird or if they can rewrite it specifically for "albuterol" or something.

e: I found this out when my doctor wrote a script for my ADD meds and they wouldn't fill it with anything but the like $600 name-brand, and when I told him about it he started writing it out in full but it's a very long thing to write out so he eventually got tired of doing it by the third or fourth visit and would just hand me a blank, signed prescription and tell me to take it to the nurse at the front desk and have her fill it out :v:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

IIRC if it's certain kinds of drugs (generally the more controlled substances) they have to fill it exactly as written even if the doc didn't check the "no substitutions box", but I'm pretty sure something as benign as albuterol doesn't fall into that category. Yeah I'd check with your doctor and see if they accidentally wrote it weird or if they can rewrite it specifically for "albuterol" or something.

e: I found this out when my doctor wrote a script for my ADD meds and they wouldn't fill it with anything but the like $600 name-brand, and when I told him about it he started writing it out in full but it's a very long thing to write out so he eventually got tired of doing it by the third or fourth visit and would just hand me a blank, signed prescription and tell me to take it to the nurse at the front desk and have her fill it out :v:

Adderall? Because lol at writing that all out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

Adderall? Because lol at writing that all out.

Yeah it was Adderall, and yeah he had to write the whole fuckin' thing out.

Actually thinking about it, my current doctor just writes "Adderall XR" and they fill it with the generic, so maybe my last pharmacy was just full of poo poo :shrug:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

Actually thinking about it, my current doctor just writes "Adderall XR" and they fill it with the generic, so maybe my last pharmacy was just full of poo poo :shrug:

If I were in his position I'd write generic and circle it like 100 times

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

In a case of capitalism.txt they probably just lied to you because the margin on the name brand was higher.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also once he forgot the "XR" part and the pharmacy refused to take it even though I've been getting XR for years at this point so I took it back to the doctor's office and asked the guy at the front desk if I could get the doc to write a new one or something. He then took the script, wrote "XR" at the end, gave it back and stared at me like I was an idiot, all without saying anything.

Then the pharmacy gave me poo poo because the XR was in a different handwriting and pen, which is exactly why I didn't just loving do that myself rear end in a top hat :argh:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

Also once he forgot the "XR" part and the pharmacy refused to take it even though I've been getting XR for years at this point so I took it back to the doctor's office and asked the guy at the front desk if I could get the doc to write a new one or something. He then took the script, wrote "XR" at the end, gave it back and stared at me like I was an idiot, all without saying anything.

Then the pharmacy gave me poo poo because the XR was in a different handwriting and pen, which is exactly why I didn't just loving do that myself rear end in a top hat :argh:

That pharmacy sucks, lol. Wow

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
me: i need a refill of insulin because it is a life long thing that i will probably need forever

doctors office: this is absolutely the only refill we will provide until you come in for an appointment

me: do you have any appointment times available at all

doctors office: no

can't get health care on a waiting list if there's no room on it :toot:

also my pharmacy will regularly tell me about how they can't fill my scripts because InSuRaNcE hAs A PrObLeM because my mental health doc visits are every 28 days but refills are 30 and we can't just let you fill them a day early gosh

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

That pharmacy sucks, lol. Wow

Like gently caress am I gonna accept that script. That's a good way to get the State Board of Pharmacy to ram its foot all the way up your rear end.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

like a dozen anarchists will riot. The SWP will organise polite protests by the middle class

The sap are the only political force in the UK more insipid than the lib Dems.

My 70year old green party voting mum would start making Molotov's if they tried to introduce us style health insurance

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Shame Boy posted:

One of my friends here in the UK is currently going through this and it's still 100000% better than the US system unless your family are millionaires

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

The Nastier Nate posted:

Insurance companies are a nice scaepgoat and you can slowly raise the employee contribution and you won't get the same complaints as if you just slashed their pay directly.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I was a file clerk for a psych medication clinic years and years ago and one time when I walked in with the next day's charts I saw the Psychiatrist sitting in the nurse's station presigning an entire prescription pad so he wouldn't have to come in to the clinic as often to fill out scripts.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Forceholy posted:

There are entire towns along the border that depend on medical tourism. Dental isn't covered for poo poo under Medicare and it's not uncommon to see retirees coming out of pharmacies with filled prescriptions their insurance told them they would not fill.

Yup. Poor old people live off pudding, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs because they can't afford dentures and have their tv turned up at full volume. It's hosed that Medicare doesn't cover dentures or hearing aids.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to cover glasses and hearing aids so old people can avoid getting into accidents or falling? Wouldn't allowing old people to be able to loving chew food so they can have a good diet be more cost effective than covering all the loving health conditions caused by a poor diet? Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ebola Roulette posted:

Yup. Poor old people live off pudding, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs because they can't afford dentures and have their tv turned up at full volume. It's hosed that Medicare doesn't cover dentures or hearing aids.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to cover glasses and hearing aids so old people can avoid getting into accidents or falling? Wouldn't allowing old people to be able to loving chew food so they can have a good diet be more cost effective than covering all the loving health conditions caused by a poor diet? Ugh.

Why did they not become rich when they were young? Obviously they deserve to suffer in old age!