Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

Invader Zim isn’t on Blu Ray yet.

That one seems like a no-brainer but you could say the same about It's Always Sunny on Philadelphia and some seasons of that don't even have DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Liar Lyre posted:

Studio Canal are releasing Léon the Professional on 4K in the UK in October.

I would like a cut of Leon the Professional without the (luckily one sided) romance subplot. Like I think it's basically just that one scene but yikes Luc Besson.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I would like a cut of Leon the Professional without the (luckily one sided) romance subplot. Like I think it's basically just that one scene but yikes Luc Besson.

That's what the US cut is.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Alec Eiffel posted:

The Duellists needs to be in high definition, God Dammit

It is - but it's sold out.

I have the BD and it's decent. I'm sure it could look better with a new scan.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

GrandpaPants posted:

One thing I will say is Jean Reno recognized how creepy the thing was, and decided to play Leon as kind of slow and childish to try and alleviate the situation. Basically, Leon wouldn't recognize the overtures nor react to them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

Invader Zim isn’t on Blu Ray yet.
They can't do better than ZimHaus box set so they don't bother.

My wife just finished watching Infinity Train (great series) and I'm bummed I can't own it on Blu/Digital

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

There are a bunch of titles not on Blu yet that I want, like Unmasked part 25, Axe 'em, They Call Me Macho Woman, Unhinged, Prom Night 2, The Kiss... most of the Emmanuelle movies with Laura Gemser are MIA at the moment. I'd guess that Severin will eventually put those out. Other top titles are missing still. Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Rights issues, I assume? The Devils needs a Blu big time. I think if Warner Bros is really that freaked out to release it they should pass it off to a smaller label.

It's also super weird that there aren't any Fred Astaire / Ginger Rogers movies on Blu, minus Swing Time. HD prints show up on TCM all the time. What's up with that?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

True Lies and The Abyss are the two I’m waiting for. Cameron needs to stop goofing off on Pandora and give us some 4K remasters already.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ultraviolence123 posted:

The Devils needs a Blu big time. I think if Warner Bros is really that freaked out to release it they should pass it off to a smaller label.

There's a HD copy of the uncut version floating around (although the reinserted, previously removed scenes are in SD iirc). The main issue with The Devils is that some execs had a huge personal grudge against it from what I remember, no idea if he's still with the company or what, but it's been the roadblock in getting it out for years and years.

I'm pretty sure even the airing of the HD/uncut bit was a mistake and came via Shudder? They had it up and then removed it very quickly, and now the only way to see it is to find a rip of that copy, I think.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Lupin series 1 got a bluray master in Japan that hasn't been brought over.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pink Floyd The Wall is a pretty glaring omission as far as blu-ray releases go. But music movies are often a nightmare of rights issues and that's probably why it has yet to arrive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FilthyImp posted:

They can't do better than ZimHaus box set so they don't bother.

My wife just finished watching Infinity Train (great series) and I'm bummed I can't own it on Blu/Digital

They can put it in HD instead of SD with a ton of bad interlacing.

It was a decent set for the time. But it can be improved a poo poo load.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Isn't that thing also crazy expensive now?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

The thing about HD Zim is, it really depends on how the show was animated

If it was done using typical cel-and-background animation, and Nick still has all the originals, then it'd be an undertaking to rescan the series in HD, but... fairly doable

If it was done using digital, or if the original materials are lost, then the best we can hope for is an upscale with a deinterlacing filter added, which... would not really be a huge improvement

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Apocalypse Now: Final Cut was expanded to a 6-disc digipak per early recipients.

Disc 1: Final Cut UHD
Disc 2: Final Cut Blu
Disc 3: '79/Redux UHD
Disc 4: '79/Redux Blu
Disc 5: Supplements Blu
Disc 6: Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse Blu

And it's only $22 on Amazon right now. Even if you don't have a UHD setup, the Full Disclosure Blu-ray set is OOP and going for about the same price new on eBay.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Apocalypse Now: Final Cut was expanded to a 6-disc digipak per early recipients.

Disc 1: Final Cut UHD
Disc 2: Final Cut Blu
Disc 3: '79/Redux UHD
Disc 4: '79/Redux Blu
Disc 5: Supplements Blu
Disc 6: Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse Blu

And it's only $22 on Amazon right now. Even if you don't have a UHD setup, the Full Disclosure Blu-ray set is OOP and going for about the same price new on eBay.
I only watched my BR copy of it once :(

hooray for triple-dipping

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The thing about HD Zim is, it really depends on how the show was animated

If it was done using typical cel-and-background animation, and Nick still has all the originals, then it'd be an undertaking to rescan the series in HD, but... fairly doable

If it was done using digital, or if the original materials are lost, then the best we can hope for is an upscale with a deinterlacing filter added, which... would not really be a huge improvement

If it was done on cel, all you would need is the original film, since you wouldn't do animation on video.

Invader Zim would almost definitely be done using digital ink and paint. It came out in 2001, and that was really around the time cel animation was dying. Old series might have stayed on cel, but anything new almost certainly wouldn't.

I know SpongeBob switched from cel to digital ink and paint for its second season, which would have been around 2000.

Even so, Zim still would have been done at 24 fps since animating 12 frames a second is a lot cheaper than 15. So if they still have the original digital masters, you could get something that was at least progressive, assuming that the work wasn't done in HD. You might run into issues with editing or special effects, but I'm assuming that still would be done before telecine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, yeah, it's not done on video, but I have a feeling they would have kept master tapes rather than film (hence the current problem). Dragon Ball Z had a similar situation and it's made that show's remasters jank as gently caress.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, yeah, it's not done on video, but I have a feeling they would have kept master tapes rather than film (hence the current problem). Dragon Ball Z had a similar situation and it's made that show's remasters jank as gently caress.

What's the deal with the Dragon Ball Z remasters? I can't find any information.

But for Invader Zim, it doesn't really matter because the show would never have been done on film, since it's all digital. Now, whether or not they still have the original masters is not a question I can answer, but nothing is surprising in this regard, since pretty much every scenario has happened - they don't have the original masters, they have the original masters, they have partial masters, they have the original masters but nothing that can read them, they have the original masters but they are unreadable, or they have the original master but somebody ruined them.

Now, as far as what they keep, if they used film to make a show, it's pretty common to keep the negatives around. That's why we have all these TV shows that have been remastered in HD because they can just use the original negatives. It's the highest quality that you can have, if you ever need to go back it's good to have them so you're working from the best source possible, it prevents these things from getting out into the wild (I'm told to trash a negative and I instead take it home with me), and actively junking stuff like that was out of vogue by the 90s since there were plenty of examples where it came back to bite them in the rear end.

Granted, just because they kept it doesn't mean they have it. Stuff gets lost, internal organization can be really lovely, things may not have been preserved properly, stuff was misplaced, or you know, occasionally your archives just happen to catch on fire. If you got 35 mm film, it's relatively easy. If you got light, you can project it. Digital assets are even more fun - since you need to be able to read the storage medium, you need to be able to interpret the data, and even if you can do all of that, you still may not have everything you once did. I know there's a few cases for audio where they've had to work hard to recreate the sound of a reverb plug-in that they used that isn't compatible with modern computers. Remember - I said actively junking stuff like that. Actually taking care of your archives - that poo poo is not in vogue.

Batman Beyond is a good example - they're releasing an HD remaster, and a few of the episodes are upscales from a digital source that was made at the time because the 35 mm negatives were unusable. It's not uncommon for shows to have stuff that's flown in from the old broadcast masters, like Star Trek: TNG, where they can't find the footage that they need.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The short version of the DBZ problem is that Toei did a pretty poo poo job archiving their shows (arguably because, at the time of DBZ, they never realized archival would be much of an issue). The masters look like absolute garbage rear end for a lot of episodes as a result of this, with lots of blurring, discoloration, physical damage, etc.

While Funimation has tried to polish the turd, they've mostly just managed to do the equivalent of that monkey-Jesus mural; the color correction, DNR and weird cropping makes a show that wouldn't look fantastic in the best possible case scenario, look somehow even worse.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Isn't it common for media from the 90s to early 2000s to have archival issues just because either storage was pretty expensive back then, or it wasn't properly stored at archival quality format and of course digital was new for a lot of things.

A lot of source code for games from the 90s to early 2000s doesn't exist anymore because the company didn't keep them or cleaned them out for space for their next projects.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t remember if the Hulu episodes are in HD or not. Someone should check.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't it common for media from the 90s to early 2000s to have archival issues just because either storage was pretty expensive back then, or it wasn't properly stored at archival quality format and of course digital was new for a lot of things.

A lot of source code for games from the 90s to early 2000s doesn't exist anymore because the company didn't keep them or cleaned them out for space for their next projects.

It's common for media from all time periods, and it's not a solved problem. Obviously, we're not talking about the silent film era where a ton of movies are literally lost forever, never to be seen again. Even a film negative that has undergone serious damage (like DBZ), can still be restored with a lot of work, but if you don't have the negative, there's literally nothing you can do.

The problems you see will vary among the media types.

So let's consider all the things that can go wrong.

So, first, how was your show finished? Was it finished on film or was it finished to video. Chances are, if it's a TV show made after the early 1980s, it may have been finished to tape. Before then, it was likely finished to film. So, for a show like Star Trek: The Original Series, bringing it to HD was easy - just scan the final prints. You don't need to worry about anything else.

Oh, but hold on a second, even if a show was finished to film, you have to make sure that the episode negative actually matches the broadcast master. Take NYPD Blue. Now, before you can see Dennis Franz's rear end in the highest quality that technology can allow, you run into a problem. Based on an article I read, the show was finished to film. HOWEVER, they would make changes after the fact, using different takes and the like, and so the final negative didn't always matched what was broadcasted. Meaning, you now have to go through the archives and find all the various negatives for the scenes that were used.

And hopefully, the masters were stored properly.

Which will lead us to what happens if the show was finished to tape. This applies to shows like Seinfeld, Star Trek: The Next Generation, the last 9 seasons of Cheers (if I remember correctly). Basically, you have to track down all the film bits. Now, here comes the fun part - you have to hope that your archives are well-organized. I know for TNG, they were not. It took a lot of work to actually organized everything they had. A good example is Sins of the Father. In the teaser disc they produced, there was one section that had to be flown in from the broadcast master and upscaled. Between when they did the teaser and when they released Season 3 on blu-ray, they found the missing bit and was able to restore it back to the episode.

And for the bits and bobs you can't find? Well, you're going to have to upscale and color correct the broadcast master. Depending on the show, this can range from just a little fuzzier (the X-Files) to looking completely different (Cheers).

You're going to have re-edit the show. Now, you probably have notes, and even if you don't, you just have to match with the final broadcast master.

But here's where life gets fun. What if your show uses special effects. Now, if you're lucky, like on TNG, almost all of the effects were done by shooting everything on film and then compositing the video. Provided you have all the elements, you "just" have to recomposite everything and you have the special effects in HD! But if you're not, you may be dealing with a show like Buffy or the X-Files, were the effects may have been done on computers.

It is almost a promise that at this point, you only have renders that were done at standard definition because god knows you're not going to render in HD when the show is going to be presented in standard def. So, you got two choices - try to redo the special effects, or simply just unconvert the special effects shots to HD, do some color regrading, and hope it matches (which it won't because it will look really fuzzy). And chances are, if you go with option #1, you'll still have to use option #2. If I remember correctly, that's the direction that the X-Files went. I might be wrong.

Of course, life is easier if you have the original files that they used to do the renders. You probably don't. BUT if you do... you still need to have a program that can read them, and you still may need to do significant rework to make them acceptable for HD.

Soundtracks? What's wrong with the original mono soundtrack? Kids these days, needing their Dolby Atmos sound. We were happy to even have sound, I tell you what. Provided you have the original stems and elements, you can remaster that. And you get to deal with all the fun things that can happen to audio (do you need to bake the tapes, are the tapes a proprietary digital format that only a handful of machines can still play).

I talked a lot about 35 mm film, because for the time being, that's what we've been working with. For digital, there's a different set of problems. Corrupted drives, files that weren't backed up, stuff like that can happen. But you know what's truly fun - making sure things are named in a logical and consistent way. And hopefully not just file1 and file2 (I recall there being something where this is literally what they had to deal with, and they had to go through every file to get the proper name). And add in software issues and other things like that.

Or you can be the Dumont Network and just dump all of your masters in the Hudson River. It makes things a lot simpler.

The point? There's a lot of failure points when it comes to archiving and restoring things. Especially when we're talking about TV shows where you have a lot of different formats to take into consideration. Assuming you shot on film - you have the negative. You have the broadcast master. You may have international masters depending on the show (for example, some HBO shows have retakes done for overseas markets so they can air there). You may have syndication masters. Then you have the things that go into making all of these things possible.

Let's talk about Smash Mouth for a second. Did you know that the multi-track masters to "All Stars" is either incomplete or missing? Huge hit song. Cultural milestone. And all we're left with is the final mixes that were done. The song was done digitally. Archiving is still something we're struggling with, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one film where all we can track down is a Netflix/Blu-ray master.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Arrow has some Tinto Brass erotic / comedy films on sale, super cheap at £5 each. All links below are have covers that are :nws:

The Key
https://www.arrowfilms.com/product-detail/the-key-blu-ray/FCD1247

All Ladies Do It
https://www.arrowfilms.com/product-detail/all-ladies-do-it-blu-ray/FCD1444

Frivolous Lola
https://www.arrowfilms.com/product-detail/frivolous-lola-blu-ray/FCD1446

Recommended if you like butts. I think they're all region B, so you'll need a modded player if you're not in that region originally.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

What's the deal with the Dragon Ball Z remasters? I can't find any information.

But for Invader Zim, it doesn't really matter because the show would never have been done on film, since it's all digital. Now, whether or not they still have the original masters is not a question I can answer, but nothing is surprising in this regard, since pretty much every scenario has happened - they don't have the original masters, they have the original masters, they have partial masters, they have the original masters but nothing that can read them, they have the original masters but they are unreadable, or they have the original master but somebody ruined them.

Now, as far as what they keep, if they used film to make a show, it's pretty common to keep the negatives around. That's why we have all these TV shows that have been remastered in HD because they can just use the original negatives. It's the highest quality that you can have, if you ever need to go back it's good to have them so you're working from the best source possible, it prevents these things from getting out into the wild (I'm told to trash a negative and I instead take it home with me), and actively junking stuff like that was out of vogue by the 90s since there were plenty of examples where it came back to bite them in the rear end.

Granted, just because they kept it doesn't mean they have it. Stuff gets lost, internal organization can be really lovely, things may not have been preserved properly, stuff was misplaced, or you know, occasionally your archives just happen to catch on fire. If you got 35 mm film, it's relatively easy. If you got light, you can project it. Digital assets are even more fun - since you need to be able to read the storage medium, you need to be able to interpret the data, and even if you can do all of that, you still may not have everything you once did. I know there's a few cases for audio where they've had to work hard to recreate the sound of a reverb plug-in that they used that isn't compatible with modern computers. Remember - I said actively junking stuff like that. Actually taking care of your archives - that poo poo is not in vogue.

Batman Beyond is a good example - they're releasing an HD remaster, and a few of the episodes are upscales from a digital source that was made at the time because the 35 mm negatives were unusable. It's not uncommon for shows to have stuff that's flown in from the old broadcast masters, like Star Trek: TNG, where they can't find the footage that they need.

Doesn't a lot of stuff also just fall prey to carelessness because they don't think anyone is going to give a poo poo about it in 20 years or so? Zim was early in the DVD era too so if I recall correctly complete shows on DVD weren't really a big thing yet.

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t remember if the Hulu episodes are in HD or not. Someone should check.

I watched them about a year ago and they were extremely standard def.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I've been binging the show and, while they don't look bad, some episodes are certainly less janky than others. The interlacing is the biggest problem, I'd say.

I'm gonna take matters into my own hands and do a test run on an episode later tonight, just to see if I can touch it up myself. I'm reasonably confident yadif2x in ffmpeg can handle the interlacing, and from there I can dress it up in Premiere pretty easily; rewatching the show, I suspect it'll take to a digital upscale pretty well.

e: I'll also give waifu2x a shot for upscaling; I suspect it'll have weird artifacts but I can probably clean those up manually, if nothing else.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 26, 2019

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Doesn't a lot of stuff also just fall prey to carelessness because they don't think anyone is going to give a poo poo about it in 20 years or so? Zim was early in the DVD era too so if I recall correctly complete shows on DVD weren't really a big thing yet.

Certainly, that's a reason too. Definitely, earlier on, there was just a lot of times where people didn't think stuff was valuable, so they'd junk their archives. For example, ABC Records got rid of a lot of their mono mixes in the 70s because who would want to hear the Mamas and the Papas in mono? In fact, EMI actually insisted that no tapes from the Beatles, the Hollies, or Cliff Richard ever to be junked, so even in the 1960s, they recognized that some tapes might actually have value. BBC wiped their masters on a regular basis because they legally couldn't show the shows more than a certain number of times, and before the home video market in the 1980s, why would you ever need these shows you can't legally show.

Fun fact - the only reason we have color copies of the first series of Monty Python's Flying Circus was because they stole the tapes and made copies of them when they found out the tapes were due to be wiped.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/06/the-unknown-hero-who-saved-monthy-pythons-flying-c.html

Another factor is cost. So, when Andy Partridge was looking for the multitracks for the XTC albums, Virgin records charged him a fee for them to search the archive. That was on top of the charge to store the materials. Oh, and they couldn't find the materials. That they were being paid to store.

For Invader Zim, it's tough to say. By the time the show came out, DVD boxsets of shows were starting to take off (the Simpsons S1 was released around 2001) - but Zim was still a cult show with only 26 episodes. So who can say what anyone was thinking or what they have?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think there was any DVD’s for a full season of a nicktoon but I could be wrong. I was legit surprised they actually made them.

It was made by anime works so maybe that was it. Someone said gently caress it, we want to do it, so let’s do it for as little as we can and do the best job possible with what we got.

The special features were just one little featurette, animatics, and the commentaries for each release.

Also they weren’t released all at once. It was a gradual thing. I forgot the time frame, but I remember buying them over a period of time. I never got the house, which I regret. I saw it one time, and never again. I believe they released a version without the DVD’s and just included a bonus DVD and a Gir figure, in case you already snagged em.

Also Palisades released those amazing and now hard to find for cheap Zim toys, which made 2004 give a weird second life to Zim for a hot minute. Ah. Good times.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I always thought it was weird Beavis and Butt-Head never got a proper physical release, just a 'greatest hits' compilation. It was a very successful show that ran for like 7 years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Blame the rights for all the music videos they lampooned :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I always thought it was weird Beavis and Butt-Head never got a proper physical release, just a 'greatest hits' compilation. It was a very successful show that ran for like 7 years.

Music rights are a bitch.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The videos were an important part of the experience but they're completely separate from the plot of each episode. They could just cut them out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They took out all the period-reflected music from the Daria release and now you just go "Oh sounds like Generic Big Willie Style music By Funk Royalty"

Aside from the videos themselves being fun, the reactions were part of why the series was fun.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

This kind of thing is what happened to pretty much every MTV show of the era. It took years for The State to make it to DVD and when it finally did a bunch of sketches had the original music removed or in some cases had to be overdubbed because the music was played on set. The show really suffered for this in many instances because the songs were part of the joke.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Did the original music licensing contracts for these kinds of shows just include broadcast rights or something? You don't see this kind of issue with movies with licensed music distributed theatrically vs. home video.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Did the original licensing contracts for these kinds of shows just include broadcast rights or something? You don't see this kind of issue with movies with licensed music distributed theatrically vs. home video.
Where the Buffalo Roam, which I haven't actually seen, had this issue. Its home video releases had a bunch of the soundtrack swapped out. I think it might have been sorted out now.

Edit: Looks like Shout! fixed it a couple years ago.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 26, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The currently available versions of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas have a lot of the good licensed music stripped out because the rights expired and that blows because the music was such a big part of that game for me and there's no easy way to replay the original version of the game now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Origami Dali posted:

Did the original music licensing contracts for these kinds of shows just include broadcast rights or something?
Honestly, no one was clamoring to put shows out on VHS because a season would be loving enormous And expensive. My Thornbirds box set is pretty much 1.5-2x the size of a modern season's worth of shows on Dvd/Blu, and that's just a 2 parter miniseries, iirc.

So would you negotiate and pay for licenses to something you'll likely not bother with? You'll go cheap and negotiate the syndication or whatever, or just not care and think "If anyone remembers this when it's over, cool".

Or maybe the music group raises a stink and says "Hey now, this contract was negotiated when a season would have cost $600 to put to tape... it's not applicable for this new DVD market!"

When DVDs started being mainstream, that's when a lot of those contractual issues became apparent. And if you're approaching Warner Music or whoever because Quantum Leap has an episode designed around a certain song that plays in to a lead character's story arc, they know they have your nuts in a vice and can bleed you for every penny.

Now consider something like Daria, which relied heavily on MTV's then-current songscape for its transition and background music... you think MTV wants to pay 17 different music labels so they can get the bridge to Living La Vida Loca playing before the commercial break?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 26, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Didn't the original Freaks and Geeks DVD set cost a fortune because Shout paid a lot to straighten out the music rights? The show itself never got a second season because the network thought it was too expensive to produce even though it was popular with critics and the public. I'm wondering if a lot of that budget went to the songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I thought a part of it is Mike Judge also isn't happy with some of the episodes, so he'd rather not release those on home video. But I could be wrong on that.

And as others said, the music videos