Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad loves my homemade bacon so much he wants to buy a deli slicer to slice it with.

Protip: Do Meathead’s Option #2 recipe and replace some of the water with alcohol. Whiskey and bourbon both work real well.

Yeah, a meat slicer would be awesome to have. I have a 4 lb slab curing right meow, and am not looking forward to trying to slice it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah, a meat slicer would be awesome to have. I have a 4 lb slab curing right meow, and am not looking forward to trying to slice it properly.

Would an electric knife be the next best thing? (I legit don't know)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Do I want smoke billowing the whole cook time? I'm using chips and hunks and am adding them every 20-30 minutes a handful at a time and it feels like I am going through a fuckton of wood for longer cook times. Maybe I am not using that much when considered, but when I go through almosy two bags of good quality wood chips over the coursw of a 5-6 hour rib smoke and those bags cost $9 a pop, it's got me rethinking my methodology.

Also on the subject of ribs, WaPo says you're silly if you take the time to remove the silverskin as it doesn't impede smoke flavor and can actually toughen the end result. Agree/disagree?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

take off the silverskin so that your guests don’t have to deal with it. you shouldn’t end up with tough ribs, as far as I’ve experienced

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Ditch the chips and try to position 3 or 4 good sized chunks among your coals so that they don't all light at once. The rule of thumb is that you'll absorb most smoke in the first three hours.

As far as removing the membrane from ribs- cut it off. I can't stand the texture so I always take it off before I rub them down.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Also on the subject of ribs, WaPo says you're silly if you take the time to remove the silverskin as it doesn't impede smoke flavor and can actually toughen the end result. Agree/disagree?

I just have my butcher do it for me, I never was able to do it myself and the one time I tried and failed, the ribs had a bit of bite on the bottom because of it. I also wouldn't trust a newspaper to tell me about cooking ribs.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Bluedeanie posted:

Do I want smoke billowing the whole cook time? I'm using chips and hunks and am adding them every 20-30 minutes a handful at a time and it feels like I am going through a fuckton of wood for longer cook times. Maybe I am not using that much when considered, but when I go through almosy two bags of good quality wood chips over the coursw of a 5-6 hour rib smoke and those bags cost $9 a pop, it's got me rethinking my methodology.

I'll only have smoke on the ribs for the first hour and a bit and they still get hella smokey. I'm honestly kinda amazed you can have smoke on them for 5 hours and have them taste like anything other than wood.

I always take the silverskin off but I don't think it changes anything for the cooking, just means you don't have to eat the papery membrane.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 1, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
If I make ribs for myself, I leave the silver skin on. One part laziness, one part I wanna eat what I paid for.

If I make ribs for other people, I take the silver skin off.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I paid good money for this unpleasant membrane so by golly I'm going to choke it down

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McSpankWich posted:

I paid good money for this unpleasant membrane so by golly I'm going to choke it down

Yeah, that’s baffling.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I don't find it unpleasant

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Silver skin comes off, what’s wrong with you animals?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I don't care either way, but I usually rip it off once I found the best way to remove it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colostomy Bag posted:

I don't care either way, but I usually rip it off once I found the best way to remove it.

Either all the ones I buy already have it removed or it seems to come off in tiny shreds and I get too annoyed to keep trying to get it off. Hard to tell but it's never anything like the videos online I've seen of people pulling it off..

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Suburban Dad posted:

Either all the ones I buy already have it removed or it seems to come off in tiny shreds and I get too annoyed to keep trying to get it off. Hard to tell but it's never anything like the videos online I've seen of people pulling it off..

I had that issue until I started using a paper towel to grab/pull it. Works great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I've resorted to scoring the membrane when it was too big of an annoyance to remove. No one complained.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked the membrane when I was a kid. It would get kind of crispy and peel up a little when my mom cooked them on the webber, and seasoned them with Lowrys.

I peel it off when I make them though, because that's what people expect and it's easy to do with a paper towel. But I don't begrudge people who like it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, the paper towel is the method of choice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

10 Beers posted:

I had that issue until I started using a paper towel to grab/pull it. Works great.

Tried this as well.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Suburban Dad posted:

Tried this as well.

How are you getting it started? I take a butter knife and try to slide it flat under the skin at each rib until I find one where it goes in fairly smoothly, and once I have that I use the knife to just pry the skin up slowly until I can get a finger in. Once I have that I can remove the skin fairly easily even without paper towel (although the towel does help provide a grip).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I use a sharp knife to make a long shallow slit between ribs, then pull with a paper towel. That works pretty well when I bother. Tbh mostly I don't. I don't find it very noticeable.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

ada shatan posted:

How are you getting it started? I take a butter knife and try to slide it flat under the skin at each rib until I find one where it goes in fairly smoothly, and once I have that I use the knife to just pry the skin up slowly until I can get a finger in. Once I have that I can remove the skin fairly easily even without paper towel (although the towel does help provide a grip).

Pretty much this. I usually start about 3 ribs in on the skinny end.

I made ribs yesterday and dried them out. My wife was late coming home from work and I didn't think to pull them off in time. Then these bastards stole my nice new silicone BBQ brush.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol, reminds me of another story I read on another smoking forum. Guy was minding his own business trying to grill some steaks and a racoon took it up into the tree.

He fought it, got the steak back and proceeded to finish cooking it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
He should've gone the full route and cooked the raccoon too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I imagine that would without saying.

What type of rub? What type of wood?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Old coffee ground and banana peel rub. Smoke it over your garbage.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Mesquite for sure. Gotta cover that trash flavour somehow.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Maybe they are like this God like meat. Like how lobsters are these bottom feeders of the ocean and people love them. Maybe trash pandas taste delicious.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Honestly, I've heard them being used for stews, like squirrel, mainly.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Gonna try my hand at making my own bourbon bbq sauce tomorrow most likely and baste them on some wings. I've been using an oak-pecan blend for jerk wings. Same wood or mix it up? The page I have read suggests hickory but I worry that might be a little strong.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pimento is canonical I believe.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

For jerk yeah, but unfortunately not readily available near me. Might try ordering it for next batch of jerk I do though! The oak and pecan tasted just fine.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

For jerk yeah, but unfortunately not readily available near me. Might try ordering it for next batch of jerk I do though! The oak and pecan tasted just fine.

To mimic pimento Kenji suggests laying meat on a mat of soaked bay leaves and allspice berries. It's always seemed easier than ordering a big bag of wood somewhere. https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/the-food-lab-how-to-make-jerk-chicken-at-home.html

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
In a few weeks I'm hosting a bbq that's getting bigger than expected so I may need to double up on my brisket. However I'm using a 18.5 WSM and I've never done two briskets at once. Any tips/advice I should know for the meat on the bottom rack such as adjustments in cook time/temp/other?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Whenever I use the bottom rack I have to swap the meats between racks about half way through. The bottom rack runs a little hotter as well. I avoid it as much as I can now because swapping mid cook is annoying as heck. In fact this last weekend I did two medium sized butts and squeezed them both on top just for that reason

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, squeeze those two medium size butts.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, squeeze those two medium size butts.

I like medium sized butts and I cannot lie

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Home Depot has Traeger Renegades for $487 today
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traeger-Renegade-Pro-Wood-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker-in-Black-TFB38TOD/306806612

I'm having a hard time resisting buying it, but I wonder if I'm going to outgrow the size or features of it soon

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Meanwhile, I went the opposite direction and bought a $13 14" grill from WalMart to grill hotdogs for a youth group event today. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I mean, I probably shouldn't be because it's metal and holds coals, but you know, sometimes you have low expectations and are surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Meanwhile, I went the opposite direction and bought a $13 14" grill from WalMart to grill hotdogs for a youth group event today. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I mean, I probably shouldn't be because it's metal and holds coals, but you know, sometimes you have low expectations and are surprised.

I bought one of these on the way to a baseball game so I’d have something to tailgate with and I ended up using it for like 5 years.