Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Crankit posted:

All that plane chat has me wondering this, I think China is trying to build a large rail network over to other continents, will shipping chinese products by train rather than on actual ships reduce pollution?

i think the proposed idea (which no one is taking seriously) is like a tourist thing for passengers not for moving large volumes of goods

https://theweek.com/articles/446861/what-take-china-build-train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Rail freight should reduce pollution basically even if the electricity is created by burning coal. Huge cargo ships are monstrous polluters

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If reducing pollution is not feasible, can pollution be filtered out of the air on a global scale?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Rail freight should reduce pollution basically even if the electricity is created by burning coal. Huge cargo ships are monstrous polluters

I don't remember where I read this but aren't like the 30 or so biggest cargo ships responsible for a significant percentage of the world's pollution? Like a couple dozen of them are just as bad as all the cars in the world combined?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

theHUNGERian posted:

Alright, I'll set a budget, try to scale back anyway, and try not to sweat it.

On the scaling back part of it, I've found it helpful to live as though I am going to move house every few years. I don't always really move house that often, but if I acknowledge the possibility, it helps me to give stuff away and not buy extraneous stuff that I'd then have to pack, store, or get rid of.

Side benefit depending on how your individual mind works and what you're ready for: some people find that lightening the load physically makes you actually feel freeer mentally/emotionally/spiritually. For some (but not all, so no harm no foul), that feeling of freedom is actually kind of addictive in itself.

And I agree with the goon who said that you simply having that self awareness already is a really cool thing.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

theHUNGERian posted:

If reducing pollution is not feasible, can pollution be filtered out of the air on a global scale?
This is called carbon capture or carbon sequestration. It's possible we'll find a technological method better than trees.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Taeke posted:

I don't remember where I read this but aren't like the 30 or so biggest cargo ships responsible for a significant percentage of the world's pollution? Like a couple dozen of them are just as bad as all the cars in the world combined?

I wonder if the reason trains are less polluting than ships per tonne of cargo- which is against the usual rule that the bigger something it is, the more efficient per unit of cargo it is - is because trains have to pass through countries with pollution laws and ships operate mostly in the open sea where you can burn any old poo poo and pollute to your heart's content.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Earwicker posted:

i think the proposed idea (which no one is taking seriously) is like a tourist thing for passengers not for moving large volumes of goods

https://theweek.com/articles/446861/what-take-china-build-train

huh, I hadn't heard of that, but it seems I'm behind the times as China have already made a new silk road https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiwu%E2%80%93London_railway_line

theHUNGERian posted:

well there's technology to do this on a small scale at the moment, I think it just removes carbon rather than all types of pollution, as I understood thing the problem is it's very energy intensive, and so attempting to do this means more energy production and more pollution

Shut up Meg posted:

I wonder if the reason trains are less polluting than ships per tonne of cargo- which is against the usual rule that the bigger something it is, the more efficient per unit of cargo it is - is because trains have to pass through countries with pollution laws and ships operate mostly in the open sea where you can burn any old poo poo and pollute to your heart's content.

That definitely has to be a part of it, bunker oil probably produces some nasty crap when you burn it, the other part is probably the mechanism of transport itself, a ship doesn't just have to move it's own mass, it has to move water out of its way in order to move, and the water displaced by a ship has an equal mass to the ship (unless it's sinking). Rail transport only has to overcome the friction of steel wheels on steel track, as long as it's flat, and the air resistance is kinda like a long thin tunnel, so it's dominated by skin friction on the surface of the train, it's probably lower than the air resistance a ship receives.

I'm lazy and haven't calculated any numbers or thought about it too hard though, so I could be way off mark.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

Trains are on wheels, which is a really efficient way to move things, whereas a ship has to push a whole lot of water out of the way, and keep doing that, and water is heavy.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Some cursory googling says that bringing an empty flask is fine via TSA rules - in order to be as unobtrusive as possible, is it best to put it in my carry-on or personal bag? I feel like the former means they have to deal with it directly and the latter looks like I'm trying to hide it and I don't know which of those is worse.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I loving hate grass and grass advocates

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what is "please, call me (lastname). mr. (lastname) was my father" from?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like the former means they have to deal with it directly and the latter looks like I'm trying to hide it and I don't know which of those is worse.

why would they think you were trying to hide an empty flask? flasks are a super common item sold in touristy gift shops all over the world i'm sure they see hundreds of them per day

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I'm guessing it's one of those things that's been around too long for anyone to know the origin, and probably too general a joke to have originated in a single place.

E: unless you're asking about what's the earliest most famous example, in which case I couldn't help you.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Walt Disney was famous for something similar, except that for him it was "Call me Walt....". It was almost a trademark of his. I don't know if anyone else used it before he did, but Disney said it just about any time someone called him "Mr. Disney."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

it wasn't static

it was like a constantly changing fluid of faces

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm using Skim, a PDF Reader, to make highlights in a text and then using it to export those highlights onto a text document. About halfway through this venture Skim started quitting on me unexpectedly every single time. Is this because the program, which isn't on the Mac store, is not super compatible with Mojave? Does anyone know of a fix for when a program shuts down all the time or do they know an alternative program that exports PDF highlights?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Some cursory googling says that bringing an empty flask is fine via TSA rules - in order to be as unobtrusive as possible, is it best to put it in my carry-on or personal bag? I feel like the former means they have to deal with it directly and the latter looks like I'm trying to hide it and I don't know which of those is worse.

I really doubt they care. If it's empty the worst thing they'll might do is take it out of the bag to confirm there's nothing in it, and then send you on your way. Which carry on bag it's in doesn't matter because both are going to go through the x-ray machine.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Say I have 3 layers on Adobe Photoshop CC 2019. I want to add an adjustment layer that only affects layer 2. How do I do this? Currently, when I add an adjustment layer, it affects all the layers.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Bioshuffle posted:

Say I have 3 layers on Adobe Photoshop CC 2019. I want to add an adjustment layer that only affects layer 2. How do I do this? Currently, when I add an adjustment layer, it affects all the layers.

In the properties of your adjustment layer, click the icon of the upside down return arrow next to a box. The arrow should then show next to the adjustment layer in your layers panel to indicate that it is only affecting the single layer below it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why do some PDF links have the PDF open in the browser, and others have it download to whatever folder my downloads go to?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What do you guys think of this development project? I live about ten minutes from this area. (It's being built over a gravel quarry outside of Portland Maine)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

What do you guys think of this development project? I live about ten minutes from this area. (It's being built over a gravel quarry outside of Portland Maine)

Looks gaudy and pointless? I suppose Portland probably does need another mall maybe.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
If it's near anywhere that's going to flood in the next 50 years (most of that area) then it's probably stupid.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why does YouTube recommend videos you've already watched?

A) Would this not be incredibly easy to avoid?
B) Does it not annoy literally everyone?
C) What is the benefit to YouTube in showing me endless recommendations for videos I absolutely do not want to watch?

I assume there's got to be some reason why it happens (because it does happen with such regularity and consistency that it can't be anything but intentional) but I just don't see any reason from any perspective for why.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tiggum posted:

Why does YouTube recommend videos you've already watched?

A) Would this not be incredibly easy to avoid?
B) Does it not annoy literally everyone?

Many people use YouTube for listening to music. I like that when I open the frontpage it shows me a bunch of songs I like, so I can pick one when I'm wasting time between tasks at work

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Many people use YouTube for listening to music. I like that when I open the frontpage it shows me a bunch of songs I like, so I can pick one when I'm wasting time between tasks at work

There's a whole separate thing for that though? That doesn't explain why they'd want to gently caress up their recommendation algorithm for the main thing people go to YouTube for. Or why there's no option to just turn off recommendations for videos you've already seen - or why consistently saying "not interested because I've already seen it" doesn't do loving anything to reduce the amount of videos you've already seen that show up in your recommendations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I'd never even heard of YouTube Music. Please allow for us technological illiterates too, there's many of us.

e: also, what is the main thing people go on YouTube for?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I agree, there should be a little button one very video they keep throwing at you to remove that from tips.

It might have something to do with the fact that no one knows how the algorithms providing you with suggestions work anymore and they're afraid to gently caress with it because it works, in most cases, really well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Videos. I think most people who want music go to, like, Spotify or whatever? If you're listening to music then you don't mind hearing some of the same songs again a few days later but if you're watching videos then you just don't want to watch the same episode you watched last week or last month or, in most cases, even last year.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I feel like the other options they give you to tune that stuff don't do anything either. I have tried so many times to get them to stop recommending certain channels using the "I don't like this video, or this channel. Don't recommend it." choices since its fewer clicks than blocking the channel altogether, but my recommendations are still largely just whats high on US trending. All of this data mining just going to find the common denominator...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sleppy posted:

blocking the channel altogether

How do you do that?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Man with Hat posted:

It might have something to do with the fact that no one knows how the algorithms providing you with suggestions work anymore and they're afraid to gently caress with it because it works, in most cases, really well.

Hey! I've already seen this video :mad:

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

How do you do that?

On mobile right now, but I think there is a button buried somewhere in the channel profile that apparently doesn't do what I thought it did either. I'm almost certain they have a native block feature but people say it doesn't hide their videos, so it must restrict communication only or something.

Could try out a browser extension I guess. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-blocker/jknkjnpcbbgcbdbaampbjlhkcghmgfhk

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do some PDF links have the PDF open in the browser, and others have it download to whatever folder my downloads go to?

There's usually a browser setting that controls whether a given file type is downloaded or displayed. The default setting (and how to get to it) is different for each browser.

Somebody else will probably know much more than this, but HTH.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

almost everyone i know uses youtube to listen to music and exactly none of them go to "youtube music" to do so

Ras Het posted:

outside of music i use it to watch random funny/weird videos and for tv shows and movies that aren't on the other streaming services

i also go there anytime im looking for a quick "how to do x" type video whether its a food thing or a music thing. like if you have a question about some specific functionality in ableton live or whatever there's a 15 year old ready to explain it to you after 5 minutes of production logo bumpers

also there's a guy out there who does very detailed re-enactments of air disasters using microsoft flight sim. i watch all of those. i dont know why, im just addicted to them.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 29, 2019

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Tweets aren't loading in SA for me anymore. The link is still there and it shows the text, but if there's an image or gif, it doesn't load. Is anyone else having this issue/does anyone know how to potentially fix this?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Tweets aren't loading in SA for me anymore. The link is still there and it shows the text, but if there's an image or gif, it doesn't load. Is anyone else having this issue/does anyone know how to potentially fix this?

Are you using Firefox?

A recent updated added Content Blocking and that blocks stuff like this. You need to add SA as an exception
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/content-blocking

Other browsers may do something similar

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I determine if a martial arts studio is a good one? My 3-year-old somehow found out that one of the places in the nearby strip mall is a karate place and she wants to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

A three year old doing karate (or any martial art) is more like karate-themed daycare for an hour than what the adults will be doing. Ask if they have a kids class that you can watch or go to with her for the first few and see if she wants to go again after that.