Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reverend Dr posted:

Work within the system but take your ball and leave if you don't get your way.

Not everybody has the opportunities that I do and I'm thankful for that.

Reverend Dr posted:

So what problem is being fixed by moving to another country? Does it fix starvation, homelessness, lack of healthcare, climate, foreverwar? Or does it just fix that one has to observe it?

This is actually really easy to answer. Moving gets me better healthcare, a much better community and understanding in regards to the things that I deal with on the daily. It's not going to stop a forever war, it's not going to fix starvation or homelessness. But it'll make my life and the life of my partner better and that's ultimately what I'm in for right now. I'm sick and tired of dealing with meth addicted rebels flying the confederate flag talking about their heritage in south western PA and how they wish they could call the gays what they are (while using the F-term for them), and trans should get raped and murdered for going against god. I'm sick and tired of trying to talk to these people about their struggles because they got let go from 84 or that the coal mines aren't hiring like they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Asema posted:

This is actually really easy to answer. Moving gets me better healthcare, a much better community and understanding in regards to the things that I deal with on the daily. It's not going to stop a forever war, it's not going to fix starvation or homelessness. But it'll make my life and the life of my partner better and that's ultimately what I'm in for right now. I'm sick and tired of dealing with meth addicted rebels flying the confederate flag talking about their heritage in south western PA and how they wish they could call the gays what they are (faggots), and trans should get raped and murdered for going against god. I'm sick and tired of trying to talk to these people about their struggles because they got let go from 84 or that the coal mines aren't hiring like they used to.

So you complained that people were whining and not working hard enough to fix things while your plan is to just leave and you see none of the irony here?

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Asema posted:

This is actually really easy to answer. Moving gets me better healthcare, a much better community and understanding in regards to the things that I deal with on the daily. It's not going to stop a forever war, it's not going to fix starvation or homelessness. But it'll make my life and the life of my partner better and that's ultimately what I'm in for right now. I'm sick and tired of dealing with meth addicted rebels flying the confederate flag talking about their heritage in south western PA and how they wish they could call the gays what they are (while using the F-term for them), and trans should get raped and murdered for going against god. I'm sick and tired of trying to talk to these people about their struggles because they got let go from 84 or that the coal mines aren't hiring like they used to.

Canada is on the verge of a right wing tide sweeping across the nation so you probably won't be escaping any of those things, it'll just be said in a more jovial accent

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Asema posted:

It shows

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Trabisnikof posted:

So you complained that people were whining and not working hard enough to fix things while your plan is to just leave and you see none of the irony here?

Of course she doesn't. She's thinks she can outrun climate change. She's still in climate denial.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 25, 2019

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't know if me saying "people whining" is suddenly complaining. All I asked is what people were doing and the conversation pushed more about me than the original question.

seizure later posted:

Canada is on the verge of a right wing tide sweeping across the nation so you probably won't be escaping any of those things, it'll just be said in a more jovial accent

Can't be worse than the gun heaven I'm currently in.

Reverend Dr posted:

Of course he doesn't. He's thinks he can outrun climate change. He's still in climate denial.

Thanks for putting words in her mouth.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If Bernie drops out or doesn't win, it's simple, I will focus on downballot races for my donations and volunteering. It's not that complicated. It's what DSA in its entirety will do, too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

You're quite the rear end in a top hat, wow. "Marginalized folks should just stay where they are and get murdered, we don't want them. And misgendering them is cool and good."

Unoriginal Name posted:

Strong arguments against refugee resettlement itt

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Marginalized people are far more likely to be unable to flee the country.

Make no mistake, the one's fleeing are the ones abandoning them.

But like seriously, why is no one jumping on this

Asema posted:

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 25, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reverend Dr posted:

Marginalized people are far more likely to be unable to flee the country.

But like seriously, why is no one jumping on this

"Most marginalized people can't escape, so none should escape. All of them should accept their fate at the hands of the MAGA hordes."

Also because that quote is almost certainly meant to be "I'm thankful that I have the opportunities I do and understand that I'm lucky to have them" and was worded poorly, not "I'm glad everyone else is hosed". Which you're obviously aware of.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The craven libs think they are selling their position to the logical so well.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Roland Jones posted:

"Most marginalized people can't escape, so none should escape. All of them should accept their fate at the hands of the MAGA hordes."

Also because that quote is almost certainly meant to be "I'm thankful that I have the opportunities I do and understand that I'm lucky to have them" and was worded poorly, not "gently caress you, got mine". Which you're obviously aware of.

And my quote is meant to say is "none of us are free, till we're all free".

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reverend Dr posted:

This is really mean and showcases your way of thought more than mine.

As for the quote. I fully understand that not everybody can get away and I am thankful that I even have the opportunity to do so. The majority of my adult life which has brought me through the deep south, to rural PA has been dealing with things that I wish I could get away from. I'm still fighting today, in 2019, as I did in 2014, 2016 and 2018 to make sure that the future here is something to hope for but I'm exhausted and I need to focus on the health of myself and my partner.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Also because that quote is almost certainly meant to be "I'm thankful that I have the opportunities I do and understand that I'm lucky to have them" and was worded poorly, not "I'm glad everyone else is hosed". Which you're obviously aware of.

Its just weird to immediately turn around and declare everyone else is "whining" and ask for proof of activism.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Asema posted:

How many of you moral code/ideology people are out canvasing and getting involved with your local politics and trying to change the system from the inside.

We can fight the GOP and the established dems at the same time ya know

People who are ideologically consistent and posting about it are not mutually exclusive to activists, which is REALLY WEIRD for you to imply.

Trabisnikof posted:

Its just weird to immediately turn around and declare everyone else is "whining" and ask for proof of activism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody's going anywhere, you're stuck here forever, and so will your progeny.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Nonsense posted:

Nobody's going anywhere, you're stuck here forever, and so will your progeny.

HA, you think I can afford progeny

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And the idea of not voting because your preferred candidate is no longer available is short-sighted at best, moronic at worst--especially if you're implying that you'll sit at home next November because Bernie isn't the Democrats' candidate. I guess that I just don't understand that mindset.

The most plausible reason I can think of for you asking about peoples' second choice is that you want to either force people to say something good about the candidate you like, or you want to somehow show that they're unreasonable for not being willing to support them in this hypothetical situation. But the part you're missing is that it is transparently obvious to everyone else that you're doing this because you're not in a position to actually directly support the candidate you like.

To a large extent, this is because you have a very different (and in my opinion wrong) perception of where the line between decent and bad candidates is. For most of us, voting for any of the non-Bernie candidates is literally no different than voting for a marginally-less-bad Republican. Sorta like how you view voting for Biden or something. Anyone other than Sanders being elected is a loss, even if those losses might vary somewhat in degree. This is because even the most generous interpretation of Warren (that she's genuine about wanting to pass stuff like her wealth tax, etc) would result in something similar to Obama's administration. Bernie is necessary because he is the only one who will encourage a movement pushing for change from the "ground up," and Congress will definitely not pass either his or Warren's best policies.

If you're just judging the candidates based upon your general perception of "how good they are as people," it makes sense that you'd be baffled by the response of Sanders supporters to Warren in this thread. But for us the idea of anyone else being elected is deeply alarming, because it means a likely bare minimum of 8 years before we have a chance to get someone else decent in the white house, in addition to a less effective movement to replace politicians at the state/local/congressional levels than we would have had otherwise.

You should try the whole "just supporting the best candidate" thing sometime. You'll find that it's immensely easier to discuss politics when you're not constantly having to use convoluted logic to convince people that supporting someone else is necessary.

Mellow Seas posted:

You people have seriously lost your loving minds. You're all addicted to righteousness.

Mellow Seas, looking on in horror at the leftists: "These people have lost their minds. They have believed so many good things that they have forgotten how to believe bad things."

Asema posted:

How many of you moral code/ideology people are out canvasing and getting involved with your local politics and trying to change the system from the inside.

We can fight the GOP and the established dems at the same time ya know

Do people who post things like this actually think that other people aren't going to see it for the bizarre passive-aggressive insult it is? You're not fooling anyone; it is very obvious that this is an attempt to paint those who disagree with you politically as being somehow lazy or bad. You kinda gave away the game when you decided to characterize other peoples' opinions as "whining."

Though this one is particularly funny because the person posting it goes on to reveal that they plan on just leveraging their privilege if things go south, abandoning any moral highground they might have been trying to insinuate in the process.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

By the time we get to the Iowa primary, I'm expecting to see unironic takes that Warren is to the right of Hillary

Hey, at least Hillary stopped supporting Republicans for President after Goldwater. :smug:

In my next blog post, I will show that party affiliation in the 90s supersedes 2020 campaign policy proposals because

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Asema posted:

This is really mean and showcases your way of thought more than mine.

As for the quote. I fully understand that not everybody can get away and I am thankful that I even have the opportunity to do so. The majority of my adult life which has brought me through the deep south, to rural PA has been dealing with things that I wish I could get away from. I'm still fighting today, in 2019, as I did in 2014, 2016 and 2018 to make sure that the future here is something to hope for but I'm exhausted and I need to focus on the health of myself and my partner.

Hey, when you get off probation, maybe consider shutting the gently caress up you goddamn louse.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I wonder why Bernie stans dogpiled on Asema. What is it about her that they hate? What did she do?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Armack posted:

Hey, at least Hillary stopped supporting Republicans for President after Goldwater. :smug:

In my next blog post, I will show that party affiliation in the 90s supersedes 2020 campaign policy proposals because

Well the fact that her campaign says that Warren hasn't shifted since then does weight on this election.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/16/politics/elizabeth-warren-regulations-critic-kfile/index.html

quote:

As a law professor in the 1980s and 1990s, Warren criticized the overabundance of government regulations, calling them "a tax,"and spoke to conservative legal groups like the Federalist Society and the Manhattan Institute, a CNN KFile review of Warren's academic research, interviews and speeches in this period found.
In a statement to CNN, the Warren campaign argued that the Massachusetts Democrat's views have remained consistent in that she has always been a proponent of large structural changes rather than many smaller regulations.

"Elizabeth has always believed that big, structural rules -- rather than dozens of smaller regulatory requirements -- protect families better, use regulatory resources more efficiently, and impose lower costs on companies," Chris Hayden, a spokesperson for the Warren campaign, told CNN in an email.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Elizabeth Warren can't stop telling you how much of a capitalist she is. Why would anyone think she's actually committed to a fight against capitalists. She doesn't have the backing of an overwhelmingly working class base and she doesn't have the history. All she has is rhetoric in the 2020 presidential primary in which everyone is doing what they can to get some of that Sanders energy.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Calibanibal posted:

I wonder why Bernie stans dogpiled on Asema. What is it about her that they hate? What did she do?

Yeah, seriously. She doesn't felt safe staying in America in the future and she wanted to leave and everyone was calling her a traitor??

Not everybody shares your fantasy of battling chuds y'all know? It's a normal reaction to run when you're facing danger.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Phone posted:

who has a second choice? the primaries aren't done via ranked voting, stop pretending like they do.

Thank you, poster from the universe where all primaries happen on the same day.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Luckyellow posted:

Yeah, seriously. She doesn't felt safe staying in America in the future and she wanted to leave and everyone was calling her a traitor??

Not everybody shares your fantasy of battling chuds y'all know? It's a normal reaction to run when you're facing danger.

Which would be a lot more sympathetic if she hadn't lead in with "well you Bernie purists sure do whine a lot but what are you doing to make the country a better place? There's lots of ways to do it if you're not lazy; oh, me? I'm planning on leaving."

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/wideofthepost/status/1165645500625883136

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I had to vote for Marianne Williamson in the poll cause John Delaney is mysteriously absent

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trabisnikof posted:

Well the fact that her campaign says that Warren hasn't shifted since then does weight on this election.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/16/politics/elizabeth-warren-regulations-critic-kfile/index.html

are those last two paragraphs bad, though? don't we prefer big structural changes like full gay space communism now worker representation on / control of boards and such?

doesn't this thread routinely snort about numbers fucksteins getting into the fiddly bits in lieu of big structural changes we like?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 26, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

are those last two paragraphs bad, though? don't we prefer big structural changes like full gay space communism now worker representation on / control of boards and such?

doesn't this thread routinely snort about numbers fucksteins getting into the fiddly bits in lieu of big structural changes we like?

If you completely ignore the specifics of the statements Warren was making and focus entirely on the justification by the campaign, then sure.

Warren was saying that utilities were over regulated in the 80s & 90s. Then deregulation of those utilities led to ENRON laughing as California burns and purposefully causing brown-outs.

So where's her big structural changes to the electricity market? Its only Sanders actually offering them.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

Calibanibal posted:

I think what we're seeing here itt is a growing schism I've noticed, between what I'll call the "ideological left" and the "non-ideological left." The ideological left is obsessed with purity and moral righteousness, and have rallied around Bernie (the only living human capable of passing their purity tests). The non-ideological left, which is more interested in 'getting things done', also think Bernie is good, but they are also interested in Warren, Harris and Buttigieg for their expertise and experience. Obviously I sympathize with both sides

Or maybe better put "adults" and "children".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

"In the event that your first choice candidate drops out/dies/gets caught banging livestock/whatever, who will you then cast your vote for?"

Bernie/Bernie/Hell Yeah Bernie/Bernie

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Warren is doing product placement.

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1165834253197893632

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I remember when I said Warren would be a good second choice. That was about six months ago. What a fool I was.

There is only Bernie now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

All this yammering about Warren is in the end absolutely meaningless. It doesn't matter if she's an unrepentant republican, or a born again progressive. None of this poo poo in her past matters on why you shouldn't support her. There is only one reason in the end that really matters why she shouldn't be anyone's choice, and thats simply that Trump will beat her spectacularly.

If there is anyone here supporting Warren over Bernie, just remember you're signing up for 6 months of trump ending every speech with jokes about 1/2020th, he'll have his stage filled with native americans4trump. He'll be inviting native americans4trump to sit in the front row of the debates, after a press conference where they talk about their love for trump and how offensive warren is. There will be campaign flyers, and tee shirts at every trump rally of the documents Warren filled out "native american". Every 5 minutes of fox news will be talking about a new uncovered person she told she was a Cherokee princess to, a new document she filled out, and the whole media at large will lap up and signal boost every bit of this trump sends out.

She already has low support among minority groups, and there will be enough democrats of all stripes depressed from voting in the general, after 6 months of turning Warren into a full Rachel Dolezal. Heck, the only real difference by the end will be Rachel Dolezal actually did a lot of work for the community she was pretending to be part of :v:

I'm sorry for anyone that likes warren and wants to vote for her in the primary, but she made her bed over the course of her life, and she is 100% unelectable in the general against trump because of it.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

The whole DNA thing. I can't recall any other time Trump ever defeating someone completely in a game of wits. Usually he loses on facts and then just ignores it and keeps pushing through. With the Warren DNA test he set her up and knocked her down and she played her part perfectly for his benefit through the whole thing.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Practically every liberal I know says they’re not voting for Bernie because he’s said or done some things they find “problematic”, or because they just don’t like him for reasons they can’t articulate. I can never pry out more details. It’s infuriating and worrying.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tacier posted:

Practically every liberal I know says they’re not voting for Bernie because he’s said or done some things they find “problematic”, or because they just don’t like him for reasons they can’t articulate. I can never pry out more details. It’s infuriating and worrying.

"I have concerns..." is basically the liberal version of "I'm just asking questions"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tacier posted:

They hate the poor but admitting that makes them think that they are bad so they struggle to find a different reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The DNA thing was going to come up no matter what. It's good that she popped that bubble early. The vast majority don't care now and even less will come next year.