Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The thing is, their ideas for multi and IPS were terrible and would have negatively impacted the game in significant ways. Part of it goes back to broken enemy scaling needing a considerable fix before tinkering with core damage mechanics, but most of it is just that the specific ideas they came up with were bad ones and were rightfully rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
guys GUYS the Lenz is hilarious and I love it, can someone suggest even more silly gimmick weapons?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Screaming Idiot posted:

guys GUYS the Lenz is hilarious and I love it, can someone suggest even more silly gimmick weapons?

Nukor (inflation gun), maybe Pyrana Prime (secondary rapid fire shotgun that becomes a dual shotgun when you kill 3 enemies quickly) as well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tulip posted:

Mechanics wise, Rivens are mostly good for already good weapons. Like, Kohm just got brought up as an example of a weapon that strongly benefits from Rivens. Cool, but Kohm without a riven is one of the best weapons anyway. I don't expect Hind to compete with SomaP or something, but Rivens widen, not narrow, the gap.
Isn't the deal with Kohm that it benefits hugely from 100% status chance, but can't actually get there without a riven?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

njsykora posted:

Nukor (inflation gun)

This game caters to all my fetishes!

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.

Zereth posted:

Isn't the deal with Kohm that it benefits hugely from 100% status chance, but can't actually get there without a riven?

Yeah but their point is that Kohm is still good without having to be 100% status chance.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zereth posted:

yeah, I'm not sure why that's being brought up as an example. It's decent, but the opportunity cost (not taking another shotgun instead) is high when comparing no-riven shotguns across the board. But Kohm with a status riven becomes something and with a +120% status riven so you need one fewer dual stat, is really something.

of course let me tell you about all the kuva i had to pour into a kohm to not get a 120% status riven, but that's another post :v:

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Rivens are poo poo until you get an awesome riven for a gun you love.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Zarr. It shoots cannonballs that turn into clusterbombs and has a shotgun alt-fire.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Zarr. It shoots cannonballs that turn into clusterbombs and has a shotgun alt-fire.

I got one and I love it, I'm going to use it with Hydroid Prime to do full-on Davey Jones cosplay.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

njsykora posted:

Nukor (inflation gun)

Wait, so like the Microwave Expander from Duke Nukem?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Wait, so like the Microwave Expander from Duke Nukem?

I never played Duke so can't say, but it inflates whatever part of the enemy you shoot it at. With Harrow there's a weird interaction where you can give it over 100% crit (it has 3% normally) and at that point you're popping enemies like balloons.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

njsykora posted:

I never played Duke so can't say, but it inflates whatever part of the enemy you shoot it at. With Harrow there's a weird interaction where you can give it over 100% crit (it has 3% normally) and at that point you're popping enemies like balloons.

In Duke it basically does that. You shoot the enemies. They balloon and explode. Might need to make a build around the Nukor...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Holy poo poo, the final mission of the Octavia quest is insane. Definitely should have done more research before trying it. :smithicide:

It's a series of three jumping-puzzle stages, each one harder than the last, including enemies shooting at you. I'm going to need to get Zephyr kitted up for this, I think. I fell down into the cyber-nothing so many times.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zereth posted:

It can get there now with Motus Setup :v:

And as mentioned, pure damage Kohm is still one of the best guns in the game.

DoombatINC posted:

The thing is, their ideas for multi and IPS were terrible and would have negatively impacted the game in significant ways. Part of it goes back to broken enemy scaling needing a considerable fix before tinkering with core damage mechanics, but most of it is just that the specific ideas they came up with were bad ones and were rightfully rejected.

This is another thing - DE's approach to the game involves doing as little backtreading as possible, and because they both never try it and they don't seem to be generally on the same wavelength as either new players or veterans, the ideas they typically float about balance changes on streams tend to be kind of gently caress-awful in specific. The community in general is change averse, probably because change happens so rarely. But it seems significantly more change averse now than it was even a few years ago.

Sample_text posted:

I've been playing since late 2013. I played plenty before rivens.
You talk as if warframe.market or riven.market would be a bad thing .
Yeah, convincing a new player to make an account there is iffy, but.... DE are adamant about not making their own tool , so....

The Riven mafia are scumbags. No argument there. Their existence doesn't take away from the point, the same away the existence of elitist assholes doesn't take away from the fact that the Eidolons are a good addition to the game.

"Mechanics wise, Rivens are mostly good for already good weapons"

This is .......just not true. I have tons of weapons I've transformed from ok to great with a good riven. Just as the latest example, the Plinx. Or before that, the Dera Vandal.
Let me be clear, there absolutely are weapons that are so godawful that no overpowered riven will fix them. Like the Stug, or the Convectrix, or other weapons that are just mechanically bad and broken. I don't get where the cutoff point is for a weapon being considered "too bad for a riven to buff"

"Ultimately the worst part is that they've created an axis of maintenance for the developer that discourages them from sweeping changes"

Damage 3.0 was already EXTREMELY unlikely to happen after the community threw a fit over Multishot costing more ammo, or the rework to physical damage types pre-Khora. We , as a community, hated their ideas, and they have up. It has nothing to do with Rivens. It seems to me the community has always been resentful of DE tinkering with the stats, so balance-by-riven-dispo seems like a good compromise. They tweak the outliers, and since Rivens aren't mandatory, not everyone feels like DE is going after their children with every nerf.

I'm not saying that wf.m etc are bad, I like them, but the more central and important they are to the game the worse it is for new players.

Thing is that Riven Mafia isn't like a pick up group of Eidolon hunters you can avoid pretty easily. Avoiding the Riven Mafia at this point means "not engaging in the entire platinum market." Because that's how markets work: if bad actors in one sector of a fungible economy get lots of power, they affect every part of the economy that they can transfer into. For a metaphor: the financial crisis of 2008 wasn't something you were insulated from so long as you didn't touch certain securities and swaps, avoiding it meant avoiding like the concept of dollars. Douchey Eidolon elitists are a meaningful comparison IF Eidolon hunts were like "one instance for the entire PC platform."

The riven dispositions hasn't given them a meaningful axis of control, because they're underutilizing the option space, but it HAS given them a new axis of vulnerability to criticism, and one that it doesn't look like they're managing so well from the outside.

Forgive me if I'm offbase here but you seem to be operating in a framework where the community is entirely static and the culture has no changes in reaction to changes in the game state. And I've not been playing as long as you (I believe I started around update 12, so 2014), but this just doesn't seem to match up to what I've seen of the playerbase, which has varied significantly in its degree of friendliness, competitiveness, and what it values over time.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Can someone explain the 'riven Mafia' to this new player? Is there an RMT angle to this? Russian organized crime had turf wars over the best botting space in EVE for RMT, so I'm wondering if there's an actual mafia angle to this game too.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I just realized that there's a ton of unique cosmetics locked behind the conclave. What's the fastest way to grind conclave rep, and do I have to be any good at it or can I just be someone's punching bag and still get paid?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

prefect posted:

Holy poo poo, the final mission of the Octavia quest is insane. Definitely should have done more research before trying it. :smithicide:

It's a series of three jumping-puzzle stages, each one harder than the last, including enemies shooting at you. I'm going to need to get Zephyr kitted up for this, I think. I fell down into the cyber-nothing so many times.

that part loving sucks. when i did it i had 1 note that was invisible which was super annoying so keep in mind thats a possibility

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Can someone explain the 'riven Mafia' to this new player? Is there an RMT angle to this? Russian organized crime had turf wars over the best botting space in EVE for RMT, so I'm wondering if there's an actual mafia angle to this game too.

They're a group of players who do a lot of riven trading and actively fight the development of any kind of API to see average riven prices, since their entire thing is ripping off people for shiny rivens.

Newsweek posted:

To try and alleviate some of thes stress and apply a more practical solution to the Riven problem, Warframe fan site owner Semlar created a feature allowing users to input their Riven's stats and see how much they were going for on the market or figure out if your Riven has the best stats or what. The program combed through the thousands of daily in-game trade chat messages to determine the average going price for your Riven. In order to do this, Semlar reverse engineered parts of the client in order to understand how the system worked and made multiple accounts that were lost to bans. Both of these actions break the Warframe End User License Agreement.

This tool gave players an option to see how much their Rivens were actually worth before screaming into the void. With the tool they could see what stats were valuable on a Riven and how much Platinum a Riven with specific stats was worth. Users who spent all day on Warframe buying low and selling high had a stranglehold on the market and didn't like the power this tool gave to players.

On Sunday, a Warframe user who didn't like the fact that Semlar was making Riven trading easier, reported the accounts he was using to Digital Extremes and shut down the service. "A huge part of trader community (sic) is against what you try to create," the user wrote to Semlar on Discord, who posted the conversation to his Patreon page. "We clearly see it as the nuclear bomb."

Avulsion posted:

I just realized that there's a ton of unique cosmetics locked behind the conclave. What's the fastest way to grind conclave rep, and do I have to be any good at it or can I just be someone's punching bag and still get paid?
Treat Conclave like most of the playerbase. It doesn't exist.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Kesper North posted:

There wasn't an RMT angle from what I understand, it's more a bunch of stuck up nerds thinking they're better than everyone else to the point of anime villain speeches.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Its amazing how this game has worse trade than Path of Exile for less reason

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

prefect posted:

The big Pro tip is to turn your graphics settings down to low for the final mission. The hard to spot particle effects you're looking to land on becomes big obvious sprites. It saves so much time and eye strain.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

njsykora posted:

Treat Conclave like most of the playerbase. It doesn't exist.

I want shiny things.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i like how the syandana you can get from conclave only opens if you play conclave daily

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Avulsion posted:

I want shiny things.

The Gorgon conclave skin is legit nice, I know I'm not helping any

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 25, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Avulsion posted:

I want shiny things.

Just fyi, the syandana won't light up unless you keep doing conclave.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I need another melee riven like I need a hole in the head but I want a goddamn korrudo riv to make this busted thing even more OP!

Edit: Arca Titron eh? I could make a pretty decent hybrid build I bet...

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 25, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grinning Goblin posted:

Rivens are poo poo until you get an awesome riven for a gun you love.

This is pretty much the problem with the system. For the people it works for - people who get lucky, or are rich enough to buy around the RNG - the system is great. For everyone else, it’s rear end.

Rivens should be a system with more customization and more determination and less impact - and players should not be spending thousands of plat, or hundreds of real life dollars, on rivens. Not only is that predatory, it also just obliterates the in game economy.

They have a huge perverse incentive to not fix rivens because I’m sure they do generate a lot of revenue due to their inflation of platinum as a currency, and I’d say that rivens are one of the worst systems they’ve added since I started playing for how badly they’ve warped the game around them.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally managed to put Revenant together and got him leveled... and man he is kind of a bummer. He's just so aggressively mediocre. It feels like he's split in two directions - vampire or sentient - and neither side really wants to mesh with the other well. I get that his gimmick is "create an army of thralls (like a vampire!) and then use them to heal yourself or kill them to attack other enemies" but once you've gotten your army going the only real thing you can do is disco dance at them (like a sentient!) and you could of just done that from the beginning.

Also his passive is complete dogshit, good lord. They should just make his 2 his passive that starts at some number of charges and slowly builds more up to some max, and make his 2 some sort of energy/health/whatever drain of nearby thralls. Hell, you could hold his 2 for a faster energy drain on a single target that ramps up damage over time and when the target dies creates a much larger fire pillar from his 1. Yeah that's just mashing Hildryn's and Inaros' 2s together but those powers are cool and quite powerful in the right situation. Right now "kind of lovely iron skin" is okay, but it's tremendously boring and mostly serves to make your durdle army slightly cheaper to get going.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You might say he's not revenant to the current meta :downsrim:

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...
Most of the problem stated with revenant is correct, but his defense ability makes him unkillable if he has any charges with it, so he can never kill himself with self damage weapons if you keep them up and always rolling guard before running out and recasting. So the solution to playing as him in a fun way is to just never stop exploding.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait... a mediocre kit with a 2 that makes you unkillable...

OG Wukong is back, baby! :v:

Edit: His 3 even turns him into a cloud. Perfect!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Lightning Knight posted:

This is pretty much the problem with the system. For the people it works for - people who get lucky, or are rich enough to buy around the RNG - the system is great. For everyone else, it’s rear end.

Rivens should be a system with more customization and more determination and less impact - and players should not be spending thousands of plat, or hundreds of real life dollars, on rivens. Not only is that predatory, it also just obliterates the in game economy.

They have a huge perverse incentive to not fix rivens because I’m sure they do generate a lot of revenue due to their inflation of platinum as a currency, and I’d say that rivens are one of the worst systems they’ve added since I started playing for how badly they’ve warped the game around them.

I don't mind the Riven system as is - Even when certain meta Rivens absolutely balloon in price, the fact is that none of them are necessary. A correctly modded weapon with 2-3 Forma will take you through the toughest content the game has to offer. The Riven Market is certainly...problematic, but Rivens themselves aren't necessary for any endgame content. People aren't dropping out of Dolon Hunts because the Chroma next to them doesn't have a Rubico Riven. From a gameplay perspective, the difference between a decently forma'd Rubico or Lanka, and one with a decent Riven is MAYBE 1 addition shot.

I kind of like the fact that everyone focuses on the latest/greatest Rivens that balloon in price, it means that I can snag Rivens for weapons that I like that aren't meta for dirt-cheap. My mag rocks a Cycron/Falcor (for ultimate Tron cosplay) with Rivens for each that cost less than 60p and make them dope as gently caress.

The fact that there are whales out there willing to drop several K to make numbers get big is totally fine with me - while it heavily affects that segment of the market (ie, the very top) negatively, it means diddly to the average player. If anything it drives DOWN riven prices for most other weapons that aren't considered top-tier. If people WANT to spend hundreds of dollars on plat, I mean, go ahead. It doesn't meaningfully affect anyone's gameplay, isn't necessary for ANY content, and doesn't fundamentally alter any existing content other than making bad guys pop a fraction of a second faster than they would otherwise.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 26, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

McKilligan posted:

I don't mind the Riven system as is - Even when certain meta Rivens absolutely balloon in price, the fact is that none of them are necessary. A correctly modded weapon with 2-3 Forma will take you through the toughest content the game has to offer. The Riven Market is certainly...problematic, but Rivens themselves aren't necessary for any endgame content. People aren't dropping out of Dolon Hunts because the Chroma next to them doesn't have a Rubico Riven. From a gameplay perspective, the difference between a decently forma'd Rubico or Lanka, and one with a decent Riven is MAYBE 1 addition shot.

I kind of like the fact that everyone focuses on the latest/greatest Rivens that balloon in price, it means that I can snag Rivens for weapons that I like that aren't meta for dirt-cheap. My mag rocks a Cycron/Falcor (for ultimate Tron cosplay) with Rivens for each that cost less than 60p and make them dope as gently caress.

The fact that there are whales out there willing to drop several K to make numbers get big is totally fine with me - while it heavily affects that segment of the market (ie, the very top) negatively, it means diddly to the average player. If anything it drives DOWN riven prices for most other weapons that aren't considered top-tier. If people WANT to spend hundreds of dollars on plat, I mean, go ahead. It doesn't meaningfully affect anyone's gameplay, isn't necessary for ANY content, and doesn't fundamentally alter any existing content other than making bad guys pop a fraction of a second faster than they would otherwise.

I mean, this is objectively wrong because having an item with massive, inflated value is going to change the value of platinum as a currency. It doesn’t matter that rivens aren’t required, because people are still trading them for thousands of platinum anyways and that has an effect on the market. That’s how currency and market systems work lol.

Rivens are also, flatly, bad design. They’re a lazy chase item that substitutes infinite RNG for actual gameplay depth. They crowd out other potential endgame rewards, as well.

The concept of rivens, as a mod that can be changed and rolled by the player, has potential, but it’s been implemented in the worst way possible for everyone except for whales, aggressive flippers, and DE.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I just YouTubed "warframe" to get me in the mood to come back to the game and the top 3 results were "I'm qutting Warframe" videos. Did something happen recently or is that just 'tubers being 'tubers?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would have to assume it's just youtubers being youtubers trying to drum up clicks because as it turns out basing your entire livelihood on making videos about a videogame is wildly unhealthy for your brain, whodathunkit

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, this is objectively wrong because having an item with massive, inflated value is going to change the value of platinum as a currency. It doesn’t matter that rivens aren’t required, because people are still trading them for thousands of platinum anyways and that has an effect on the market. That’s how currency and market systems work lol.

You're only giving it power cause you give a poo poo about markets
quit giving a poo poo JFC

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Lightning Knight posted:

Rivens represent the ultimate rare commodity in Warframe - in fact, they're really the ONLY rare commodity. Everything else in the game is relatively cheap - primes, skins, syandanas, are tied to established real-world value (especially in regard to Tennogen items), and every other non-prime frame or weapon can be made for free (in terms of real-world money).

The ballooning effect of top-tier rivens doesn't trickle down and devalue platinum (in a noticebal way), because the value of Platinum, for the majority of the player-base, is tied much more fundamentally to commodities with established prices. Prime sets, weapon/frame slots, potatoes, cosmetics, these are things that always have a consistent value on the market and are traded far more often. The existence of a 10k Rubicon Riven isn't going to cause a potato or forma to inflate from 20p to 50p, or even change how much you'd pay for a Wukong P set. Rivens exist in their own, stupid market space and don't cause inflation, EXCEPT in regards to other top-tier rivens.

This part is pure conjecture, (I'm sure DE has very detailed metrics on this) but I would assume that the vast majority of traded platinum is done at the low-end of the scale, sub-100. For every 5k transaction for a god-tier riven, there are 1000 20p transactions for mods or prime bits.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 26, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

feelix posted:

I just YouTubed "warframe" to get me in the mood to come back to the game and the top 3 results were "I'm qutting Warframe" videos. Did something happen recently or is that just 'tubers being 'tubers?

things are slow until empyrean comes out in two months so a bunch of youtubers are publicly quitting the game like they did last year before fortuna came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

feelix posted:

"I'm quitting Warframe" videos are the easy money of the Youtube world. Basically every major Warframe Youtuber has done at least one at some point. Usually it's related to "content drought" which is only really an issue if making videos about Warframe is your primary source of income or you've been playing for years and have literally everything in the game and not something that affects most of the playerbase since even if you've been playing 2 years there's gonna be something you don't have and can work towards.