Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I made a southwest shrimp scampi several pages back and it turned out pretty well. Season em with cumin, chili powder etc, make your scampi of choice but sub lime and 1/2 tequila seafood stock mix for lemon and white wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nephzinho posted:

Interesting things to do with shrimp besides grilling or frying?
Boil whole, head on for a 2-3 min until cooked with an onion halved, a lemon halved, a stick of celery, and some black peppercorns. Dump into a bowl, peel them as you eat them and have a little bowl of melted salted butter (better yet clarified butter) to dip them in. Really really good with very fresh shrimp-royal reds are divine.

I also like to sautee them peeled and deveined. Sautee in clarified butter with a garlic clove smashed in it (maybe some red pepper flakes too) over fairly high heat-you want to try and brown the scrimps slightly if you can. Cook the shrimp slightly underdone, remove from pan, deglaze with white vermouth or wine, return shrimp to pan and garnish with very finely chopped parsley and a little squeeze of lemon juice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Trying to think of something to do as an appetizer as part of a multicourse night, staying away from the usual prep.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nephzinho posted:

Trying to think of something to do as an appetizer as part of a multicourse night, staying away from the usual prep.

I don't have a full recipe in front of me but I've definitely had dumplings that started with raw shrimp, onion, garlic, egg and some other stuff go into a food processor then get a wanton wrapper and boil.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I received 2lbs of very nice fresh, but not-deveined, shrimp, and I have no idea how to de-vein them.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Shrimp and egg salad on little toasts

Something involving puff pastry or tiny biscuits

Crab boil style tiny potatoes with a shrimp and a slice of sausage on a skewer

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Shrimp and egg salad on little toasts

Something involving puff pastry or tiny biscuits

Crab boil style tiny potatoes with a shrimp and a slice of sausage on a skewer

Beef wellington is going to be the main, so doing something with excess puff pastry could work nicely.

Will post last year's menu + what I've got so far for this year when I sit down with laptop later.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nephzinho posted:

Pickled Shrimp then. My grandmother's recipe and they always disappear very quickly.

Pickled Shrimp
3# fresh shrimp in shells
3/4 c celery tops
1/2 c mixed pickling spices
1 tbsp salt

Put the above in a pot of boiling water, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Drain, peel, and de-vein under cold water. Layer shrimp in a shallow baking dish (9x13 pyrex works) with 2.5C thinly sliced onions and 10 bay leaves.

Pickling Marinade
2 c salad oil
1 c white vinegar
4 tbsp capers with juice
3 tsp celery seed
2 tsp salt
a few drops tobasco

Pour pickling marinade over all. Marinate covered in the refrigerator at least 24hrs, spooning marinade over shrimp occasionally. Keeps about a week in refrigerator. May be served as hors d'oeuvres or salad.

I've tried to fancy it up with nice oil or vinegar or whatever, but its perfectly delicious with plain 1960s vegetable and white vinegar.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Annath posted:

I received 2lbs of very nice fresh, but not-deveined, shrimp, and I have no idea how to de-vein them.

You don't really have to. I've never deveined shrimp while eating them for 20+ years on the gulf coast.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

That Works posted:

You don't really have to. I've never deveined shrimp while eating them for 20+ years on the gulf coast.

:chloe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNtpqxAd3eU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That Works posted:

Same.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Okay last year's menu was:
Boquerones on baguette with ricotta and peppers.
Asparagus and mushroom crustini.
Bacon wrapped scallops.
Leek risotto.
Cheese & charcuterie plate.
Mussels.
Sous vide lollipop lamb.
The top of our wedding cake.

Thinking so far for this year:
Deviled eggs.
Pigs in a blanket.
Beef wellington.
Chocolate malt cake with raspberry syrup.

Might work the shrimp in with a fideua? If I put it in a pastry I'll have to drop the pigs in a blanket to avoid over loading on pastry. Might also add in a patatas bravas or maybe just a romesco sauce + fixings to spread it on.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Something involving puff pastry

Small pastries wrapped in pastry?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Puff pastry? FoodWishes has a great baked brie recipe/technique that is great appetizer.

So, I have vacuum sealer. I got it for my birthday, and, well, I'm struggling. I read the (lackluster) directions and nowhere did it mention that liquidy foods would be a problem. Did my usual weekend meal prep and made general tso chicken and teriyaki chicken, both of which have a sauce. Not a lot of sauce, but some, and it's thick. My goal was to vacuum seal and freeze portions for later in the week. I tried a couple of times and the bag wouldn't seal right, even though the edges were dry and flat. I got one to seal, but there's still some air bubbles in there. None of the instructions mentioned that foods with sauce would be a problem.... but the sticker on the unit itself said that freezing them first might help. Now, obviously a soup would be troublesome to vacuum seal, but the sealer itself has "dry" and "moist" settings, so I thought it'd be fine. I guess my point is, if I have to freeze it first, what's the point of vacuum sealing? Or is there something I'm missing?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

Puff pastry? FoodWishes has a great baked brie recipe/technique that is great appetizer.

So, I have vacuum sealer. I got it for my birthday, and, well, I'm struggling. I read the (lackluster) directions and nowhere did it mention that liquidy foods would be a problem. Did my usual weekend meal prep and made general tso chicken and teriyaki chicken, both of which have a sauce. Not a lot of sauce, but some, and it's thick. My goal was to vacuum seal and freeze portions for later in the week. I tried a couple of times and the bag wouldn't seal right, even though the edges were dry and flat. I got one to seal, but there's still some air bubbles in there. None of the instructions mentioned that foods with sauce would be a problem.... but the sticker on the unit itself said that freezing them first might help. Now, obviously a soup would be troublesome to vacuum seal, but the sealer itself has "dry" and "moist" settings, so I thought it'd be fine. I guess my point is, if I have to freeze it first, what's the point of vacuum sealing? Or is there something I'm missing?

Moist setting or do water displacement and then a manual seal.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Nephzinho posted:

Moist setting or do water displacement and then a manual seal.

Sorry, I thought I mentioned it. I used the moist setting and still had trouble. Is water displacement just putting the bag in water (obviously keeping the open top above the surface) to work the air out and then sealing it?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

This is probably pretty weird and gross and maybe a cooking sin, but is making a worchestershire-based 'paste' or spread a thing?

Every now and again when cooking with it, I get a dark, savory paste of it built up in like the corners that spreads well on bread and sandwiches and whatnot, so I'm wondering if I can't just make the same en masse without having to buy a hock of meat to do it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I tried making a fried eggplant recipe from Murimoto's "Japanese Home Cooking" that involve frying 1" egg plant slices in 1/4" of oil. My eggplant came out as a oily mess that most of went into the bin instead of being kept as leftovers.

The recipe said that the eggplant would absorb some oil and then express most of it. I don't think I got the stage where it lets go of the oil it absorbed but I did pull the slices when they had significant browning so I feel like if I left it for longer it would've charred on the outside.

What can I do to not end up with oily gross goop in place of my eggplant?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

captkirk posted:

I tried making a fried eggplant recipe from Murimoto's "Japanese Home Cooking" that involve frying 1" egg plant slices in 1/4" of oil. My eggplant came out as a oily mess that most of went into the bin instead of being kept as leftovers.

The recipe said that the eggplant would absorb some oil and then express most of it. I don't think I got the stage where it lets go of the oil it absorbed but I did pull the slices when they had significant browning so I feel like if I left it for longer it would've charred on the outside.

Possibly a dumb question, but since it's a Japanese cookbook...are you using the same type of eggplant that's assumed in the recipe?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

poeticoddity posted:

Possibly a dumb question, but since it's a Japanese cookbook...are you using the same type of eggplant that's assumed in the recipe?

I'm not. I was going to use rosa bianca eggplant I picked up from the farmer's market but it went extra squishy before I got around to cooking it. So I ended up using American eggplant. The original recipe called for Japanese eggplant.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pickled Shrimp then. My grandmother's recipe and they always disappear very quickly.

Pickled Shrimp
3# fresh shrimp in shells
3/4 c celery tops
1/2 c mixed pickling spices
1 tbsp salt

Put the above in a pot of boiling water, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Drain, peel, and de-vein under cold water. Layer shrimp in a shallow baking dish (9x13 pyrex works) with 2.5C thinly sliced onions and 10 bay leaves.

Pickling Marinade
2 c salad oil
1 c white vinegar
4 tbsp capers with juice
3 tsp celery seed
2 tsp salt
a few drops tobasco

Pour pickling marinade over all. Marinate covered in the refrigerator at least 24hrs, spooning marinade over shrimp occasionally. Keeps about a week in refrigerator. May be served as hors d'oeuvres or salad.

I've tried to fancy it up with nice oil or vinegar or whatever, but its perfectly delicious with plain 1960s vegetable and white vinegar.

Hot drat

Nephzinho posted:

If they're big enough, and you've got nothing better to do with an afternoon, you can do this which I've been working on for a few years:

Baked Lovecraft

1lb raw jumbo shrimp (15 count), peeled save for the tail

1lb crab meat (backfin, or special)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tbs mayonaise
1 egg, beaten
1.5 tsp dill
1 tsp dry coleman's mustard
1 tsp parsley, chopped (dried is fine)
2 tsp sherry
2 TBS melted butter

15 sets of Calamari tentacles (Just buy 15 fresh calamari, chop the tentacles for this, and freeze the rest to make something delicious later)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I like Tamari)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
3 big cloves of garlic, crushed

Cookie sheet lined with parchment
Oven to 375

1) Take the shrimp and reverse-butterfly them. That is to say, put the big end of the shrimp on a cutting board so the tail is curled up above it in the air like the letter 'C', then using a sharp knife, cut 4/5ths the way through the body of the shrimp so that it folds open. Set these aside in a bowl in the fridge.
2) Clean the tentacles. Then whisk together the marinade of soy, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Then get the tentacles in that and marinating
2) Work through your crab meat to make sure there's no shell in it, then mix in the bread crumbs until it's evenly mixed. Then start mixing in the mayo, eggs, spices, sherry and butter, in that order. Don't work it too hard, just enough to make sure it's well incorporated. Toss in the fridge for 1 hour.
4) Pull the shrimp back out and start assembly. Into each butterflied shrimp, you're going to stuff a couple tablespoons of the crab filling. Then top it off with a set of tentacles, pressing the center of the crown into the stuffing so they adhere nicely.
5) Arrange these evenly on the baking sheet, and pop into the preheated oven for 18 to 23 minutes. You want to see the stuffing start to crisp up a little. It normally takes about 20 minutes in my oven, but ymmv. If the stuffings getting crispy edges and the shrimp's turned pink, it's ready to go.
6) Now serve to unsuspecting guests

(Edit: You may well have left over stuffing. I just make a couple crab cakes with it and enjoy that.)

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Nephzinho posted:

When I worked retail, a fisherman with a fantastic Eastern Shore accent would bring us clamshell containers filled with steamed shrimp dredged in Old Bay

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

captkirk posted:

I'm not. I was going to use rosa bianca eggplant I picked up from the farmer's market but it went extra squishy before I got around to cooking it. So I ended up using American eggplant. The original recipe called for Japanese eggplant.

IIRC, American eggplant generally needs to be salted, rested, and gently pressed to expel a considerable amount of liquid before frying if you don't want it to become a mess.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is probably pretty weird and gross and maybe a cooking sin, but is making a worchestershire-based 'paste' or spread a thing?

Every now and again when cooking with it, I get a dark, savory paste of it built up in like the corners that spreads well on bread and sandwiches and whatnot, so I'm wondering if I can't just make the same en masse without having to buy a hock of meat to do it.

Do you think it's just the Worcester, or is it just a paste of all of the ingredients that have undergone the maillard reaction and are nice and savory?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I couldn't say, short of extensive testing myself, but I thought it was worth a shot. Worst case scenario I get a worcestershire spread that while not quite as intense as what I get while cooking, I'll still probably use on other things because I'm an addict and don't know what to do with myself. I just kinda lack the skills to know what I'm doing wrt doing reductions or whatever else I'd need to try to whip it into something beyond 'stick in a pot and maybe boil some stuff off idk'.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

poeticoddity posted:

IIRC, American eggplant generally needs to be salted, rested, and gently pressed to expel a considerable amount of liquid before frying if you don't want it to become a mess.

That's what I would do if I were substituting western eggplant for Asian. I have admittedly not tried it in a long time since I just buy Asian ones.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I want to cook for someone, but I only have one hob + a rice cooker and they also aren't particularly into western food (I'm in Vietnam). I don't cook a lot of Asian food because it's so cheap to just go out and eat it here but since that's probably my best bet, anyone got any recipe ideas?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I couldn't say, short of extensive testing myself, but I thought it was worth a shot. Worst case scenario I get a worcestershire spread that while not quite as intense as what I get while cooking, I'll still probably use on other things because I'm an addict and don't know what to do with myself. I just kinda lack the skills to know what I'm doing wrt doing reductions or whatever else I'd need to try to whip it into something beyond 'stick in a pot and maybe boil some stuff off idk'.

Probably a dumb question, but have you ever eaten marmite? It gets a lot of hate but it really is the closest thing I can think of to the sort of intensely savoury, salty meaty paste you're describing. Maybe add a dash of worcestershire to the marmite to get that extra zing. I only recently retried marmite after years of thinking I hated it and it's actually amazing and delicious to my adult self.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Try Gentleman’s Relish

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That's what I would do if I were substituting western eggplant for Asian. I have admittedly not tried it in a long time since I just buy Asian ones.

I did salt the slices for a while to get some moisture out first. I didn't press them though. Maybe the thought "oh this sort has a texture like tofu" should've tipped me off.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Or even some Vegemite, that could work too. Give them a try and see.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Paperhouse posted:

I want to cook for someone, but I only have one hob + a rice cooker and they also aren't particularly into western food (I'm in Vietnam). I don't cook a lot of Asian food because it's so cheap to just go out and eat it here but since that's probably my best bet, anyone got any recipe ideas?

You could knock up a decent thai curry with just a rice cooker and 1 pan and I'm sure you're drowning in the necessary ingredients there

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
She doesn't really like curry otherwise that's exactly what I would do :(

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Does caribbean food count as western? You could pan fry some wings to toss in a quick jerk style dry seasoning and pair with coconut rice. Toss some black beans in the rice for a lil extra protein.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
For Thai stuff, Tom Kha Gai is crazy good, easy, and one pot. Nam Sod for a cooler, more summery meat salad.

For Vietnamese stuff, spring rolls are super easy, but delicious if you nail the dipping sauce. Don't know if you are set on "I will present to you a meal!", but if not, spring rolls can be fun if you prep a few types of protein in advance, grilled pork, poached shrimp, etc... and then have an assortment of herbs, greens and sauce ingredients and both of you making custom rolls and sauces can be really fun. Banh Xeo if you want to go a little higher effort but more impressive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

maybe look into umami paste? you can buy or DIY it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

you shouldnt bother trying to vac seal liquids like sauces.

put sauce into a container for easy thawing or put directly into the ice cube trays for small portions.

you can also buy a vac sealer adapter that works with mason jars. i have one and i've never bothered to use it cause i just freeze the sauce and thats good enough for sauces.

Paperhouse posted:

its typically served with satay but it's cool and refreshing to have any time imo:

http://shesimmers.com/2010/09/cucumber-relish-for-satay-ajat-ajad-achad-%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%94.html

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Paperhouse posted:

She doesn't really like curry otherwise that's exactly what I would do :(

Chase a less picky eater instead

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

captkirk posted:

As others suggested, salt, let drain, rinse, pat dry then fry. Also, could be wrong but it reads more like the frying oil temp was a bit too low. Might try a few test pieces at different temps and see what works for you. If that were a potato it would get soggy and soak up more oil and be gross because the oil wasn't hot enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I usually brine my eggplant rather than salt it open to air, but I've also never tried frying it, I always proceed to run it through a quick oil and balsamic vinegar marinade then grill it with zucchini and squash :shrug: