Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think he was white.

He wasn’t, but he was devoted to a very colonial, white-savior version of Christianity.

Patrick Chau, John’s father, was born in China, endured six years of forced labor harvesting rice during Mao’s Cultural Revolution, escaped to the United States, studied medicine at Oral Roberts University, which John would attend, and eventually brought John up evangelical. But during a weeks-long correspondence with me, Patrick described how over the past decade he had begun to find biblical truths in the Confucianism of his youth. He came to believe that the commonalities undergirding world religions meant that people “not following Western religious terms could still be following the teachings of the Bible.” In this context, he decided, “the theology of the Great Commission”—of missions—“is the byproduct of Western colonization and imperialization, and not Biblical teaching at all.” He wrote, “I have no common opinion in faith with my youngest.” John “was not there yet.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good to know anyone can be white if they're stupid enough.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Christian missionaries have historically been a key part of basically every single time white people have kramered into some new land and colonized/oppressed/murdered the indigenous population. They are an instrument of cultural erasure.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I know loads of voluntourist god types and they all loving suck.

Not sad for dead underwear white guy.

Chau was not a “white guy” but otherwise spot on

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good to know anyone can be white if they're stupid enough.

You joke but that's legit a decent analysis of early modern history in North America. Too few whites? Invite the whitest minority! Too many whites? Do a genocide!

There was a time when slaves, servants, militia members, and random folks got together and started shooting landlords, but that was bad for profit so the racial caste system got invented

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wha?! When the heck did this happen? That's nuts!

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
A little behind, but I am sick of people not leaving uncontacted tribal civilizations be. I applaud the Sentinelese for sticking to their guns bows or spears or what have you.

That is a less catchy expression.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wha?! When the heck did this happen? That's nuts!

Is.... is this a legit question? I don’t want to give a brief history of the racial hierarchy being manipulated to protect the landed gentry (e.g. Ben Franklin’s treatise on the Germans being too stupid to learn English and the Swedes too dark-skinned to properly assimilate) if it’s sarcasm.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's sarcasm.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
THANK GOD.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Fair enough. I just can't fathom being so intense about it that you risk being jailed for the rest of your natural life and then some. It makes no sense to me.

That’s really a pinnacle of arrogance. That tribe has survived as-is for god knows how long, but they need some foreign dude to come show them the right way

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's sarcasm.

sox or cubs dicklord?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The Indian government has explicitly forbidden outsiders from attempting to contact the Sentinelese for years now. He knew that and deliberately evaded the patrols, assuming his god would protect him.

Can you tell I don't like missionaries?
He also believed that because he was vaccinated, he couldn't bring any unfamiliar diseases ... entirely overlooking that there are lots of diseases we don't vaccinate for, and that the virulence of a disease is not measured by whether we develop a vaccine.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He also believed that because he was vaccinated, he couldn't bring any unfamiliar diseases ... entirely overlooking that there are lots of diseases we don't vaccinate for, and that the virulence of a disease is not measured by whether we develop a vaccine.

If it was we would have a vaccine to Christianity by now :rimshot:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

If it was we would have a vaccine to Christianity by now :rimshot:

They do, but it's delivered by a bow

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

sox or cubs dicklord?

Cubs, but I go to way more Sox games since my entire family are Sox fans.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Inceltown posted:

White isn't a skin tone it's a state of mind.

i guess you're the kind of person who would go around calling someone an oreo or a banana then

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm white

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So he was aware of the dangers he was bringing to them but failed to do the research and believe the research that he'd still be a danger even if vaccinated? drat.

Like, okay. I'm not dancing on his grave, but it's fortunate that his arrogance only lead to one death. And that's one death that we know about, so it's possible he did sicken some people. And you know what? I genuinely believe this guy would have been horrified if that had happened and he'd lived long enough to realize it, but horror after the fact doesn't excuse dangerous negligence that you were entirely warned about beforehand.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PetraCore posted:

So he was aware of the dangers he was bringing to them but failed to do the research and believe the research that he'd still be a danger even if vaccinated? drat.

Like, okay. I'm not dancing on his grave, but it's fortunate that his arrogance only lead to one death. And that's one death that we know about, so it's possible he did sicken some people. And you know what? I genuinely believe this guy would have been horrified if that had happened and he'd lived long enough to realize it, but horror after the fact doesn't excuse dangerous negligence that you were entirely warned about beforehand.

There are a lot of people who think the Jesus Trap™ springs when everyone alive on earth has heard of Jesus. In doing his 'missionary' work he was getting us closer to heaven, results on earth be damned.

aka gently caress him and anyone like him

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Robert Wadlow, the Giant of Illinois and tallest human in recorded history. He needed braces to walk, barely felt his legs and was used as a circus attraction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

nankeen posted:

i'm white

Truly unnerving

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Inceltown posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with everyone in the USA? Y'all are some serious broke brain mother fuckers.

For the record, the majority of Americans support expanding gun control (how much expansion is too much is something else entirely) but our country is actually run by a bunch of sociopath aristocrats so that doesn't matter.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Inceltown posted:

There are a lot of people who think the Jesus Trap™ springs when everyone alive on earth has heard of Jesus. In doing his 'missionary' work he was getting us closer to heaven, results on earth be damned.

The article notes it too, but Chau was deep into The Joshua Project, which is literally all about this. It's a fairly secretive and incredibly annoying network of missionaries that believe this. Reaching the Sentinelese was their white whale. Several people were obsessed with reaching one of the last remaining peoples who were untouched by Christianity. He went to some sketchy missionary training camp that did what I'm sure were culturally sensitive practice rituals for first contact. And I'd say that a lot of his journal makes it clear he 100% expected to die and wanted to be a cool martyr at heart, even if he kept saying the right words and insisting that he wasn't just committing a Chris McCandless-style suicide. He went once, got shot at and supposedly had an arrow nail his bible and then went back.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

One thing Christianity has been wrestling with is what happens to people who have never heard of Jesus. Some denominations just went "yeah well even if you're a rabid atheist nonbeliever but still a good person you go to Heaven." Others decided that people who have never even heard of Jesus can't go all the way up. Some say that they just land in Limbo forever while others argue that there is only Heaven and Hell; if you can't get into Heaven you go to Hell by default so missionary work is literally the best possible thing you can do. This is true even if it causes death. The reasoning is that going to Hell is the worst possible thing that can happen to somebody because it's forever.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That last position sounds like "we need to tell everyone about God, so they can all gang up to kill him."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The best part about the theory that all those who never heard the word going to hell by default is that it makes God a giant douchebag who you're better off not spending eternity with.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

The best part about the theory that all those who never heard the word going to hell by default is that it makes God a giant douchebag who you're better off not spending eternity with.

Yeah, there are reasons I quit Christianity. Some of the beliefs make no loving sense or make God sound like kind of a dick. One of them is "OK, so if Jesus is the only way to Heaven, then what about everybody that died before Jesus was born?" The answer to that is "Jews get in too." Which of course then leads to the question about "what about all the people who weren't Jews or the people who came before Jews? There haven't been Jews forever and their culture came from various Semitic tribes who weren't Jews at all."

The answer to that is typically something like "I'll pray for you."

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I feel like growing up attending a Christian church that was located on a college campus in the northeast gave me a weirdly skewed perception on christianity as a whole.

Our priest gave sermons on how women should be allowed to be priests/bishops/the Pope, how being gay is fine and we should accept gay people for who they are, and how just because someone is a different religion or even no religion doesn't mean they're going to hell.

Also they had some bomb-rear end donuts after church.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Inceltown posted:

Oh, so he was trying to kill everyone so they wouldn't be a 'problem' anymore.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ranbo das posted:

I feel like growing up attending a Christian church that was located on a college campus in the northeast gave me a weirdly skewed perception on christianity as a whole.

Our priest gave sermons on how women should be allowed to be priests/bishops/the Pope, how being gay is fine and we should accept gay people for who they are, and how just because someone is a different religion or even no religion doesn't mean they're going to hell.

churches like this are a very tiny minority in america

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ranbo das posted:

Yeah this isn't most churches.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/WhoresofYore/status/1165993306758832128

kill a puppy, look younger

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Before I read this I thought it was going to mean puppy urine, which would be less horrifying and probably also work better*

* Urea, which was originally derived from urine because it's full of it, is a standard moisturizing agent in soaps and lotions

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

The combination of wine, lemon juice, butter, and rose water could be legitimate skin care items without the puppy corpse. I have to wonder if some woman was halfway through making a batch, realized she already used her last puppy and the streets were empty, so she tried the puppyless Puppy Water and spread the word that this insane new less-labor-intensive version worked just as well.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I assume that there is some sort of folk belief based reasoning behind the ingredients and methods in that puppy recipe, but it still seems like someone decided to just throw a bunch of random poo poo together.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Max Coveri posted:

Robert Wadlow, the Giant of Illinois and tallest human in recorded history. He needed braces to walk, barely felt his legs and was used as a circus attraction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow
I have knee, back, and joint problems at 6'8", I can't imagine how bad it would be if I was 27" taller.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I've read about Robert Wadlow many times, but I'd never looked at the growth chart that shows his size at various ages:

If you've ever spent much time around toddlers, you know how hard it is to manage a hyperactive 2- or 3-year-old. Now imagine doing that with a toddler who weighs 80 pounds.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

ranbo das posted:

Mine had pictures of endangered animals that said "SAVE THE BABY HUMANS" and my friends' church got all us young ladies together and told us if we were raped we should have thought about wearing something different so we didn't lead the poor men astray. Then the young men came in and handed out carnations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This is quite a few pages back, but as far as celebrity predators, the majority of musicians you know and love were horrible people. Statutory rape, regular rape, abusing women, that time Led Zeppelin got a woman drunk and penetrated her with a shark, that's why nobody wants you to remember their semi-private lives.

That said, what about Christopher Walken and Gene Wilder? I haven't heard anything bad about them and I'm afraid to look.

Scathach posted:

Mine had pictures of endangered animals that said "SAVE THE BABY HUMANS" and my friends' church got all us young ladies together and told us if we were raped we should have thought about wearing something different so we didn't lead the poor men astray. Then the young men came in and handed out carnations.
My views on the second amendment have just shifted to arming young women with nerve gas at age 12.