Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

Eventually, once you've mapped Genetics for the first time in a run. That only tells you what current traits you possess and not which ones are tied to the various evolutionary branches or whether it's a minor trait.

scorpid scientists turning to one another in the lab and going HOLY poo poo WE GOT CLAWS??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Eventually, once you've mapped Genetics for the first time in a run. That only tells you what current traits you possess and not which ones are tied to the various evolutionary branches or whether it's a minor trait.

gah

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

scorpid scientists turning to one another in the lab and going HOLY poo poo WE GOT CLAWS??

Antid scientists dismiss notion that "burning with unholy fire" is a bad thing. In other news, banks! Run by the lizard people?!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i don't understand the star thing, is it if i complete an achievement with x amount of challenges i get that tier of star?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yes, up to 4 challenges so far for a gold star. Don't bother with No Plasmid (it's far too large a damper on runs) and take the other three for silvers.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Aurora posted:

i don't understand the star thing, is it if i complete an achievement with x amount of challenges i get that tier of star?

Yes. And each extra challenge is ,25% extra multiplier. It's honestly my least favourite part of evolve and I wish it would be rebalanced around it not existing. The challenges for bonus traits are far more entertaining and better for the game, imo.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Why are Antids after Ents considered so strong in Evolve?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Magres posted:

Why are Antids after Ents considered so strong in Evolve?

Antid's bonus is that the more working a job the better its bonuses get. Ents remove wood requirements. So you stack everything that would have been on wood on stone which makes everything much faster.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Antid's bonus is that the more working a job the better its bonuses get. Ents remove wood requirements. So you stack everything that would have been on wood on stone which makes everything much faster.

Ooooh makes sense, that's fantastic. Do you alternate Antid space runs and Ent MAD runs?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's one of those things that's not really worth doing unless you're going for a challenge like the 99 supercolliders. Getting 3 challenge for all the other species will give a much bigger bonus than the slightly faster space runs.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 25, 2019

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Tbh I don't even really get what the stuff with challenges means, I've gotten to space and bioseeded and that's about it, I don't really get what's next or anything beyond repeating the loop ad nauseum.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus christ the geckos in Evolve

ah ace we get a minor reduction to combat losses, at the small price of being able to support half as many soldiers

DonnieJeffcoat
Jul 8, 2005
Salad Prong
On the latest Evolve update, is there a way to find out what you're meant to do with the mass ejector? Like, how many do you need, how much poo poo do you need to throw into it?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Incremental Adventures is broken for now until he fixes the autofloor thing jumping to floors where you can't kill the enemies. Ah well, the game was pretty shallow anyway.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

OK, before I get too deep into NGU, I need to know: is this a game I can progress reasonably fast in without using too many external resources/guides?

Like Trimps, where aside from punching my poo poo into a perk calculator once a portal I can make satisfactory progress on my own. Not like Realm Grinder, where if I don't look up exactly what 30 bonuses to take out of the 500 offered while also taking into account a whole bunch of other poo poo like gem count and time of day, I can expect virtually no progress.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Magres posted:

Tbh I don't even really get what the stuff with challenges means, I've gotten to space and bioseeded and that's about it, I don't really get what's next or anything beyond repeating the loop ad nauseum.

I’m alternating between gold star runs and space runs, but I move at a pretty relaxed pace in incremental games. There’s also deep space and the different challenges (valdi, 99supercolliders, etc.) but you don’t need to rush.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

jesus christ the geckos in Evolve

ah ace we get a minor reduction to combat losses, at the small price of being able to support half as many soldiers

look on the bright side.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr. Peepers posted:

OK, before I get too deep into NGU, I need to know: is this a game I can progress reasonably fast in without using too many external resources/guides?

Like Trimps, where aside from punching my poo poo into a perk calculator once a portal I can make satisfactory progress on my own. Not like Realm Grinder, where if I don't look up exactly what 30 bonuses to take out of the 500 offered while also taking into account a whole bunch of other poo poo like gem count and time of day, I can expect virtually no progress.
Yes. I looked at a spreadsheet just when I was starting out to figure out whether I should be buying energy or magic and cap or power, but after a few weeks I gave up on that and just bought whatever felt necessary.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Mr. Peepers posted:

It's pretty hard to screw yourself over by playing wrong. You might be a bit suboptimal, but i've tried to make it so if you just get upgrades that generally "feel" right to get, you'll get there.

Also, offline progress is very similar to online (only big exception is item drop in regular zones).

edit: oh right, the unlock quests for later Titans can also be tricky without spoilers.

something fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 26, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mr. Peepers posted:

There were some gimmicks that I had to look up to figure out how to progress that I probably could have figured out on my own if I thought hard enough about it/read the clues but I'm a lazy, lazy man. Other than that though no it's all pretty well explained and the complexity layers on once you've gotten a good understanding of all the systems at play.

I just started a game of Evolve, I'm digging this so far but think this would be better on the phone :smith:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I want to like evolve but I've tried it 4 times now and I keep hitting a storage wall hard and can't be bothered to keep going.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Fool posted:

I want to like evolve but I've tried it 4 times now and I keep hitting a storage wall hard and can't be bothered to keep going.

The containerized storage paradigm sucks rear end

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yeah I hate containers/crates just because making and assigning them is clunky and obnoxious.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Supercollider your way to bigger storage. :shepicide:

He is trying alternatives though with the addition of the Storage sub-tab in Resources. At least you no longer have to open each resource individually to set them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sage Grimm posted:

Supercollider your way to bigger storage. :shepicide:

He is trying alternatives though with the addition of the Storage sub-tab in Resources. At least you no longer have to open each resource individually to set them.

I actually just hit this point and thought the implementation was pretty cludgy until I stumbled on the Storage tab. It doesn't seem too bad, I doubt I'll ever use the other way.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

explosivo posted:

I actually just hit this point and thought the implementation was pretty cludgy until I stumbled on the Storage tab. It doesn't seem too bad, I doubt I'll ever use the other way.

wat

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

explosivo posted:

There were some gimmicks that I had to look up to figure out how to progress that I probably could have figured out on my own if I thought hard enough about it/read the clues but I'm a lazy, lazy man. Other than that though no it's all pretty well explained and the complexity layers on once you've gotten a good understanding of all the systems at play.

I just started a game of Evolve, I'm digging this so far but think this would be better on the phone :smith:

Something about NGU just doesn't quite grok to me atm. Maybe it's being sorta forced to keep progressing on a reset to keep number not going down or the amount of time (about an hour atm) I have to wait for get my Basic stuff up to speed to get wherever I was previous in order to keep level.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Xelkelvos posted:

Something about NGU just doesn't quite grok to me atm. Maybe it's being sorta forced to keep progressing on a reset to keep number not going down or the amount of time (about an hour atm) I have to wait for get my Basic stuff up to speed to get wherever I was previous in order to keep level.

Yeah, NGU is not really about making the NUMBER go up. It's a temporary stat that you can always get back if you lose it. There are also lots of permanent stats that are more satisfying to work on.

Most progress is in the form of unlocking new zones where you can find new items. Sometimes NUMBER is the bottleneck to get to new zones, and you need to build it up overnight to get past one more boss. But sometimes you can get more attack/defence power faster by ignoring NUMBER and doing several short rebirths to get EXP to spend on permanent energy/magic/stat increases.

There are several ways to increase each stat, and they usually multiply together, so you are encouraged to try lots of different things.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

NGU: I'm pretty sure I'm gonna max the ultimate chest plate before I can even beat V2 Exile.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hryme posted:

Incremental Adventures is broken for now until he fixes the autofloor thing jumping to floors where you can't kill the enemies. Ah well, the game was pretty shallow anyway.

Uh he fixed that like 3 updates ago though. It's broken in many other ways.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have just started NGU.

Is it worth it to farm boosts to level 100 in the stage they appear, or do they keep appearing in later stages as well? I've dicked around a bit in the forest and I've only seen lvl 2 boosts, but I've only killed like 10 things there, so my sample is pretty small.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly early on I'd just use the boosts as you get them, only start worrying about merging them when your gear is greened for that stat. You'll want to do it eventually, but it can wait.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I have just started NGU.

Is it worth it to farm boosts to level 100 in the stage they appear, or do they keep appearing in later stages as well? I've dicked around a bit in the forest and I've only seen lvl 2 boosts, but I've only killed like 10 things there, so my sample is pretty small.

You'll see Lvl. 1 and 2 boosts. Don't worry.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Uh he fixed that like 3 updates ago though. It's broken in many other ways.

It was certainly not fixed for me. Jumped 5 levels into stuff I had no chance of killing constantly. This was yesterday. Anyway, doesnt matter. The game is as you say broken in many other ways too.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 26, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The storage tab makes dealing with crates easier.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
IA doing the best they can with the Numbers they've got.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

I have just started NGU.

yo, you better join the discord so you can get into the SUPER COOL GOON CHANNEL :colbert:

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

IA doing the best they can with the Numbers they've got.

Update 5 hours ago, he's changed numbers library to break_eternity.js, everything's really responsive now, it seems to have fixed the skip issue too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pelao posted:

Update 5 hours ago, he's changed numbers library to break_eternity.js, everything's really responsive now, it seems to have fixed the skip issue too.

It's certainly "different".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was going to say "well, that certainly some numbers" but I would be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Toshimo posted:

It's certainly "different".

You hit the max value, you are going to need to start a new save.