Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It sucks when the oxygen runs out. I was pretty pumped for space luge :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Please, the Space Olympics don't start until 3022 so our only chance to see them is the next season of Discovery :saddowns:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

Have Trill always been in the Federation in DS9? I always assumed most Trill were secretive about how their society works, and Sisko knows all about them because Curzon is the exact kind of person who would go "HEY WANT TO SEE A STABLE WORMHOLE??" and Goatse his symbiote pouch at someone. Keeping their society's secrets is off the table with that guy

Not really; Curzon was one of those old bastards who was wise enough to know which secrets were worth keeping, and which were stupid and should be shared freely, while having the clout to keep his higher-ups off his back.

naem
May 29, 2011

Kanine posted:

yeah this video is like, everything i dont miss about the early 2000's/late 90's

same only exact opposite

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

This thread can never die. I will drag my corpse out of a grave to lament the trials of miles.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's way easier to just assume that the events of The Host either didn't happen or occurred in a slightly different timeline to that of DS9

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

watching tos episode where abe lincoln wrestles with kahless and i love this show

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

marktheando posted:

Forgot how angry and shouty Picard was about Data making Lal. Chill out Jean-Luc.

Also lol at Lal's initial form.

Edit- lmao at the huge headed Andorian that is one of her appearance options.

oh man i cried at this one

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

jit bull transpile posted:

If you love schlock absolutely. I adore it. Especially the jugallo villain and sarges laser gun that seems to be powered by pelvic thrusting.

I'm in the loving star trek thread.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm in the loving star trek thread.

Yes watch that poo poo posthaste

naem
May 29, 2011

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's way easier to just assume that the events of The Host either didn't happen or occurred in a slightly different timeline to that of DS9

I prefer to think Crusher just gets real dumb when she's horny. As seen with the ghost candle.

Dudes aren't the only ones who can get into trouble 'cause they horny.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Eddington is lame as hell no matter the genre

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Eddington sucks so much that Sisko commit planetary eco-terrorism and everyone is behind him on it because it fucks over Eddington

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kenneth Marshall excelled in his role as a plucky officer who dreamt of being in charge but through circumstances could only realise that dream by forming a resistance against a coalition of aliens but who ultimately triumphs by marrying a hot chick.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Danaru posted:

Eddington sucks so much that Sisko commit planetary eco-terrorism and everyone is behind him on it because it fucks over Eddington

Eddington literally transmitted a phony distress call and spoofed sensor readings of wounded people in order to ambush a ship, that's seriously hosed up.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Eddington, like Dukat, is NOT GOOD.

HOWEVER, Ken Marshall, like Marc Alaimo, is GOOD.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kanine posted:

yeah this video is like, everything i dont miss about the early 2000's/late 90's

You need to watch more buckaroo banzai.

Also, DS9 be like:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

I prefer to think Crusher just gets real dumb when she's horny. As seen with the ghost candle.

Dudes aren't the only ones who can get into trouble 'cause they horny.

No but how many races do they have in the Federation? 30-something?

You can appreciate her getting confused if this is another one of the 50 different space parasites they keep encountering every time they swing by the neutral zone, or the space aids Picard gets every time Q is around, or another egg hatching from that time Geordi tried to gently caress a tree out of frustration, or something else. I mean they've literally had transporter parasites, ship eating nanobots, and memetic parasites that only Data can kill in his sleep. And that's basically par for the loving course normal day for them.

Not to mention that today so much information is produced that modern GPs are poo poo at staying up to date or even learning stuff from 20 years ago, that's gonna be exponentially multiplied when you factor in all the races and differences. Take something like transgender care as an example and literally no GP is up to date on that even though WPATH has had good recommendations in place since the 90s. The best anyone can hope for is that their GP didn't sleep through the blitheringly misinformational 5 minutes of the 1 hour lecture on LGBT people that consists of the entire education for the 5 year degree. Trills were probably a 1 hour lecture somewhere that she was too busy partying hard or dealing with a hangover to notice, or she skipped it to memorize some foot bones or something idk.

Of course Bashir knew, but he has a Trill on board the ship as part of the main cast primary crew so it's his responsibility to know. Not to mention that he's been genetically engineered to be better at information retention, etc.

Also, Crusher did have a chronic case of "nuhbudy tuhld me nuthin" syndrome, from what I remember she was basically the last to hear about anything.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 26, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That strikes me as absurd. You've got the sum of Federation knowledge in the drat ship's computer, if the Trill had been a known species and culture for ages she should have been able to just look it up. Or have one of the other doctors on the ship do the reading.

It is seriously way easier to just treat The Host as an outlier. The makeup doesn't line up, the characterization of the slug doesn't line up (it's shown to totally take over the host body rather than being a synthesis of host and worm), the goofy "no you can't use the transporter or you'll kill me!!" thing... no, it doesn't work, and it highlights the utter folly of trying to make literally every minute of Star Trek that was ever filmed line up together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just treat it as the backdoor pilot to Trill in DS9; Concept was signed off on, details changed for the series proper.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Every alien species changes a lot over the course of all the Treks.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Remember when Star Trek introduced the Bajora, an entire race of refugees? Yeah the Trill thing is exactly the same. Details changes when theyade DS9 cause of course they did.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

That's krull. I rented that film from blockbuster as a teenager. Kill me

E: piss in my eyes I have the novelization too

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

it's like really really bad. imagine a novelization of Red Sonja. make it worse.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

I have strong feelings about how lovely bajor treated the space lepers.

They'll help with your lovely planet, idiots.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Krull is like if someone took a decent swords and sandals fantasy flick with some okay monsters and then gutted the budget two weeks into filming and accidentally shredded the last twenty pages of the screenplay.

Oh and then replace Cary Elwes with some mulleted turbodork.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

satan in a spaceship

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Krull is like if someone took a decent swords and sandals fantasy flick with some okay monsters and then gutted the budget two weeks into filming and accidentally shredded the last twenty pages of the screenplay.

Oh and then replace Cary Elwes with some mulleted turbodork.

that...is actually a p accurate assessment of that dumpster fire. I'll let elwes do whatever his depraved desires urge him to do to me. He is so dreamy.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

satan in a spaceship

wait are you apologizing for shatner 'god'

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Erisian Automata posted:

wait are you apologizing for shatner 'god'

because I've fukken petted that dude. I got pics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

you should rewatch krull

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

you should rewatch krull

I do hate myself I can do that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erisian Automata posted:

I have strong feelings about how lovely bajor treated the space lepers.

They'll help with your lovely planet, idiots.

Nah, Bajor's opinions are legitimate concerns. They're stretched thin as-is for resources, and the proposal is only good if everything goes perfectly. Anything less and they've got another three million mouths to feed from limited food production. Nevermind the whole "We JUST got our planet back and don't want a bunch of alien strangers forcing their way in and setting up homes on our lands. Again." concern.

It really isn't as sweet a deal for Bajor as it sounds on paper.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have given a small community a trial run to prove they could actually farm that land while the rest waited on the other planet

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Should have just let them settle the levant to be honest.

One holy land's as good as another

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

remember the aliens that brainwashed the enterprise into a manchurian candidate assassination mission

commander macduff

the hell happened to those guys

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Dominion took them over, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

Dominion took them over, sadly.