Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
https://twitter.com/Amaz/status/1165817252681306115?s=20

Says he walked into a judge who took it badly, then got DQ'd after he asked for the judge's name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Oceanbound posted:

https://twitter.com/Amaz/status/1165817252681306115?s=20

Says he walked into a judge who took it badly, then got DQ'd after he asked for the judge's name

lol he really underplays the part where the judge told him "do not walk through this area" and then he just walked through anyways

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

lol he really underplays the part where the judge told him "do not walk through this area" and then he just walked through anyways

He pretty clearly states that's what he did, I'm not sure that's really "underplaying" it.

The interactions after that bit seem really strange to me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

He pretty clearly states that's what he did, I'm not sure that's really "underplaying" it.

The interactions after that bit seem really strange to me.

well he says he did that, then proceeds to not understand in the slightest why the judge was upset with him

it still sounds like a huge overreaction from the judge though

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 26, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

little munchkin posted:

it still sounds like a huge overreaction from the judge though
Just a bit, honestly. Maybe there's details to be revealed that make it appear more reasonable, though I would also never ever provoke a judge either so :shrug:.

Jabor posted:

no-one idolizes a cheater once the truth is out.
Buddy, wait'll you hear about this demon cracker nation called The United States of America.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tubgoat posted:

Buddy, wait'll you hear about this demon cracker nation called The United States of America.

yeah, there's a honking great asterisk on that. it's really more "nobody with a functioning sense of ethics".

heck, even in mtg you get things like mark rosewater still idolizing mike long.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I forget, was Mike Long "discard my wincon, Browbeat you into conceding?"
Also

Jabor posted:

it's really more "nobody with a functioning sense of ethics".
Buddy, wait'll you hear about these people called "Magic players."
:classiclol:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What "players area" are we even talking about and why is a judge giving a poo poo? If I have to choose between Amaz being physically aggressive to a judge on purpose or a judge channeling their inner Farva, seems like an easy choice.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tubgoat posted:

I forget, was Mike Long "discard my wincon, Browbeat you into conceding?"
Also
Buddy, wait'll you hear about these people called "Magic players."
:classiclol:

Mike Long was "stack my deck instead of shuffling" and "how did that key combo piece end up on my chair where I could just pick it up when I needed it, instead of in my deck?"

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Sickening posted:

What "players area" are we even talking about and why is a judge giving a poo poo? If I have to choose between Amaz being physically aggressive to a judge on purpose or a judge channeling their inner Farva, seems like an easy choice.

For Day 2 of GPs(and probably at Pro Tours/Mythic Championships, since those are also Professional REL events) they don't allow non-judges/staff to walk between the players tables that are set up for the event(unless, you know, you're walking to your match at that table).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

For Day 2 of GPs(and probably at Pro Tours/Mythic Championships, since those are also Professional REL events) they don't allow non-judges/staff to walk between the players tables that are set up for the event(unless, you know, you're walking to your match at that table).

I have never been to a GP where this is ever enforced and LOL at the fact that I missed that this was Eric Kubo as he is a loving twat. I have seen him no less than two occasions argue with a player to the point things were about to escalate to fighting. He thinks of himself as a tough guy and lol at the thought of Amaz being the aggressor there.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Sickening posted:

I have never been to a GP where this is ever enforced and LOL at the fact that I missed that this was Eric Kubo as he is a loving twat. I have seen him no less than two occasions argue with a player to the point things were about to escalate to fighting. He thinks of himself as a tough guy and lol at the thought of Amaz being the aggressor there.

Been enforced at every GP I've attended, so don't know what to tell ya. :shrug:

Can't speak to the rest of the post as I've never met the judge.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Been enforced at every GP I've attended, so don't know what to tell ya. :shrug:

Can't speak to the rest of the post as I've never met the judge.

Same and same. Just listen to the judges, it's not that hard.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the judges paid their $100 so you MUST respect them

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

No but they run the event and the player area at professional REL is there to minimize the risk of outside assistance. There's a reason it's there and it's really not that big of a deal to just not walk through the area they don't want you to walk through.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I think only about 1/3 of the GPs I've been to have they enforced keeping the player area clear. I've been at the top tables on a couple day 2s and had 1-3 friends behind me watching the entire time. Really the only time I can think of a judge asking people to clear out is if they can't move freely to respond to judge calls or if people are talking instead of silently watching.

Volunteer authorities at nerd events like this can be annoying but you still need to bend the knee since you're never going to win any kind of confrontation.

lol @ going to the paper pairings like a pilgrim. Could have avoided this whole situation if he just used his phone.

freeman fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 26, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

freeman posted:

I think only about 1/3 of the GPs I've been to have they enforced keeping the player area clear. I've been at the top tables on a couple day 2s and had 1-3 friends behind me watching the entire time. Really the only time I can think of a judge asking people to clear out is if they can't move freely to respond to judge calls or if people are talking instead of silently watching.

Volunteer authorities at nerd events like this can be annoying but you still need to bend the knee since you're never going to win any kind of confrontation.

lol @ going to the paper pairings like a pilgrim. Could have avoided this whole situation if he just used his phone.

He doesn’t live in the US.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Preparing for a hearty :laffo: if Hogaak isn't banned today.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

InterrupterJones posted:

Preparing for a hearty :laffo: if Hogaak isn't banned today.

That would be justice.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The worrying thing about Amaz's allegations to me is the judges response to being asked his name. That needs to be transparent and acting like a player asking for your name is an escalation damages the trust for the rest of the game.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I like how you can apparently get into a “physical altercation” with a judge and it’s apparently just a round loss and not an immediate election from the venue.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

neaden posted:

The worrying thing about Amaz's allegations to me is the judges response to being asked his name. That needs to be transparent and acting like a player asking for your name is an escalation damages the trust for the rest of the game.

Why would you even need to know their name if you weren't throwing an "I'm a famous streamer, don't you know who I am?!?" hissyfit.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what date / time is the pax west eldraine panel happening?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Wurzag posted:

Why would you even need to know their name if you weren't throwing an "I'm a famous streamer, don't you know who I am?!?" hissyfit.

So you can address them by name in a conversation like a normal human being?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

So that you can submit a commendation to the judge conduct committee.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

neaden posted:

I would like to talk to your Supervisor!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neaden posted:

Sure but take that out of the equation then how does his story sound? Like an rear end in a top hat who thought the rules didn't apply to him, tried to walk through someone figuring they'd give way to him, then when they didn't he realized he just loving plowed into someone he shouldn't have and tried to backpedal and it didn't' go well.

At the end of the day, mama always said two wrongs don't make a right. If Amaz didn't act like an entitled douche and try to walk through someone, nothing would have happened. At best the judge gets a slap on the wrist for not giving his name, and Amaz's DQ is upheld because he is in the wrong.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Counterpoint: gently caress the police

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ While extremely true, it's still not a good idea to antagonise the egomaniac whose whims can get you DQ'd from attempting to win money and slight amounts of fame.

Jabor posted:

Mike Long was "stack my deck instead of shuffling" and "how did that key combo piece end up on my chair where I could just pick it up when I needed it, instead of in my deck?"
Jesus Christ.

When's the B&R? I want to see if the Hogaak in my trades will trade st $4 or become instant bulk.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

Jesus Christ.

When's the B&R? I want to see if the Hogaak in my trades will trade st $4 or become instant bulk.

usually around/before 8am Pacific so a little under an hour from this post

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tubgoat posted:

Jesus Christ.

It's already been getting Legacy play, so banning Hogaak from Modern may not drop it down completely.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Thanks!

FNM can't come soon enough, I am loving itchy to slam down a 4-mana planeswalker in front of an opponent who's only seen me cast stock burn cards up to that point in the game.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

InterrupterJones posted:

It's already been getting Legacy play, so banning Hogaak from Modern may not drop it down completely.

It’s worth $5 now. I can’t see it hitting bulk prices. It’s still pretty good in commander and I’m sure casuals will still want it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I kinda assume its current price already incorporates its near-inevitable banning. If it's not banned I'd expect it to spike, if it is maybe it'll go down a tad.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I figured the price was because it's a staple on the order of Goblin Guide and is rare in a set with a $90 mythic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

I figured the price was because it's a staple on the order of Goblin Guide and is rare in a set with a $90 mythic.

Its going to go up in price either way. If its banned, it most likely won't see a reprint again as they generally dont print banned modern cards in these sets. If it isn't banned it will go up in price as its the best card to cast in modern.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/august-26-2019-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2019-08-26?t

Standard:

Rampaging Ferocidon is unbanned.

Modern:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis banned.
Faithless Looting is banned.
Stoneforge Mystic is unbanned.

Vintage:

Karn, the Great Creator is restricted.
Mystic Forge is restricted.
Mental Misstep is restricted.
Golgari Grave-Troll is restricted.
Fastbond is unrestricted.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
LMAO! FINALLY, FOR THE LAST WEEK! gently caress you, Wizards of the Coast.

Also, y'all are welcome for the SFM unban, it only got unbanned because I traded my GP promo at a dollar under a pack nonfoil.

They only unbanned Ferocidon because there's jack loving poo poo it can do against Scapeshift.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 26, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hell yeah Stoneforge Mystic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Scamaz disqualified in a Magic tournament? I'm surprised.