Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

The B9 niche is now covered by the Ascent.

The Ascent isnt in the B9 niche tho. It's not quirky, bizarre looking or otherwise good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Went to the Subaru dealer and they were like FORESTERS ARE FLYING OFF THE SHELVES

it was a nice non lux compact crossover, what am I missing

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
There are times when I think about trading in the WRX for something else, but then I remember what I love about it. It's loud and sometimes uncomfortable, but it's vulgar in a wonderful way. The turbo and exhaust noise, even if I'm not particularly skilled at driving stick, is really a thing I can't describe.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Went to the Subaru dealer and they were like FORESTERS ARE FLYING OFF THE SHELVES

it was a nice non lux compact crossover, what am I missing

Compact SUVs are the hot thing now. Mix that with the people chasing the Subaru Brand Image(TM) and you have an extremely hot seller.

My 09 Forester is ugly as poo poo but it’s reliable, has a nice ride height, and has tons of cargo space for its size. And we get bad-ish winter storms in the NJ/NYC metro area so it’s pretty sweet to just tackle the bad roads.

Every third car in my gentrifying neighborhood is a (newer) subie. Think I might be priced out soon.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like that the windows are really big, compact crossovers are otherwise very smushed looking to make them look wide

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Well I'm throwing up my hands on this Jesus bolt. Took an induction heater to it and it still won't budge.

Going to take it to a shop and pay the $500 for them to fix the rear wheel bearing.

What a bitch.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
What's the closest tire to a geolandar that I can throw on my '01 shitbaru deathback without putting a lift in?

I ripped the wheelwell covers off while rock crawling the other week, so I have some more room I guess.

The current GY Nordics have scary deep longitudinal cracking in the sidewalls and make such a racket at 130 that I can't tell if I have a failing wheel bearing or not. :cripes:

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 17, 2019

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

stgdz posted:

Well I'm throwing up my hands on this Jesus bolt. Took an induction heater to it and it still won't budge.

Going to take it to a shop and pay the $500 for them to fix the rear wheel bearing.

What a bitch.

The long one on the back? Cut it out and replace.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So is the evap canister system something that needs to be serviced every 3 years? Subaru or not?

Almost three years to the month I got the annoying P1449 again on my 2013 Impreza. The last time this happened in September of 2016, the dealer said a spider web had clogged the evap control vent and they had to replace the solenoid valve. Since then, I moved to a new apartment and I'm certain I've been parking in a way to avoid easy ingress of spiders into the system. The only other thing I can think of is that I drove through some fairly deep water from torrential rain which may have damaged the system but that was almost a month ago.

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet but the code, dash lights, and the timing has me convinced that it's the drat evap system again. At least I have now have a job this time so this won't be a significant financial drain.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Subaru/Flannel Chat: parking in a way to avoid easy ingress of spiders

Subaru/Flannel Chat: this won't be a significant financial drain

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Feeling very attacked with that second one.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

We're all in this together, buddy.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Finally managed to get hold of some Bilstein B8s and STI pink springs to replace my coilovers. Now for the wait for the springs from Japan.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
What is it with spiders and subarus anyways?

I drive it almost every day and there's still a couple spiderwebs a month in the dash area. Large openings into interior?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No window frame to seal properly?

I know if I ever lock myself out of the Baja, I can just coat hanger gently caress the window/door seal until I hit the lock switch.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

MeruFM posted:

What is it with spiders and subarus anyways?

I drive it almost every day and there's still a couple spiderwebs a month in the dash area. Large openings into interior?

Well in my case, apparently spiders are attracted to gasoline fumes (and other hydrocarbons I guess) and the purge vent in the vapor canister system is one of the easier ways for them to get in and get that buzz. Mazda had similar issues as well to the point where they had to issue recalls for it.

The jury is still out if junky spiders clogged the solenoid again or driving through that flooding gunked it up. (I was driving through a less than desirable part of Newark)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anything in particular to look out for on a used 2011 Forester Premium?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At least the usual assortment of ball joints, cv axles, u-joints and available service records to see if everything else was at least brought up to snuff by the dealer.

And apparently the purge canister for bonus spiders.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Blacknose posted:

Finally managed to get hold of some Bilstein B8s and STI pink springs to replace my coilovers. Now for the wait for the springs from Japan.

Don't forget to get the spec b tophats. Bilsteins won't work with the stock ones.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The car is a Spec B STI so should be fine. I'm just returning it to stock essentially.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A coworkers 2012 outback just popped up with a bunch of warning lights. AT OIL TEMP was on BRAKE was flashing, the cruise indicator was flashing, and I believe the traction control light was on hard as well. I did a quick Google search, but we're at work and I don't have time to really look at it. Anything quick that can be checked on it? She's going to try and get codes pulled on a break if she gets the chance.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

fknlo posted:

A coworkers 2012 outback just popped up with a bunch of warning lights. AT OIL TEMP was on BRAKE was flashing, the cruise indicator was flashing, and I believe the traction control light was on hard as well. I did a quick Google search, but we're at work and I don't have time to really look at it. Anything quick that can be checked on it? She's going to try and get codes pulled on a break if she gets the chance.

That’s usually the “limp mode” indicator isn’t it? It could be a million different things. She’ll have to pull the codes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sounds like driving with the parking brake on.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, my (ex) wife just blew the entire bottom out of the engine in her 2012 forest (NA, Limited). I can see engine internals when I shine a light up from the bottom.

"it made a funny noise" yeah i fuckin bet it did.

I don't know what to do. I don't have a shitload of money, but I still owe a year of payments on this.

What is my approach here? I have quotes out for engines right now but most of them are running 2500 or more.

Any thoughts appreciated.

e: It has 82k miles and we got a bunch of paperwork in years ago for the class action settlement for these engines. Supposedly the warranty is extended to 100k. Is there a chance this would be covered?

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/closed-settlements/332670-subaru-oil-burning-class-action-settlement/

im bad at reading legalese and honestly kind of freaking out and panicing right now

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 26, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to take a long rear end time. Find another means of transport. I was approached by friends offering to lend a car. Other options include buying a used car which isn't as expensive as you think because the idea is to sell it once you're done, rent ($$$), share a car with your significant other (this got untenable for the wife and I after about 3 weeks), or a dealer loaner. Pursue this with Subaru as well as insurance. Subaru knows this is an issue and pay millions a year to retain customers. Your engine job is a drop in that bucket. Independent of what they'll offer to pay, the shop will offer a few used engines, a few remanufactured engines, and brand new. They quoted me 20 hours for labor for just removal and install. You can figure out what happened at additional cost. They'll likely quote you another few hours to crack the block open. This might be necessary if your insurance covers such a failure. Best case scenario, Subaru covers the whole thing. Worst case they cover nothing. You will almost certainly end up in between. Always plan for the worst. Get quotes yourself for remanufactured engines. Your Subaru dealer will tell you who they call. They frankly hate engine swaps. It ties up a bay for a long time and there isn't much money to be made by the dealership. They'll do anything they can to offload work onto you if you offer. Subaru charges around $115/hour for labor.

If you are handy, it's time to break out the wrenches. I mean no offense, but Subaru doesn't appeal to folks who make more than their labor rate in salary so it's safe to say you'll save money working on it yourself. You'll have two jobs. Your day job, and ripping this engine out. The more you can do after work and on weekends, the more money you save. You do end up saving time and money if you take time off work to expedite the process. It really depends how time critical this is to you and what your finances look like. You can get the junk engine out and bring it and the car to the dealer for the install or carry on with the install yourself if you're confident in your ability to do it. Transport with a car carrier from Uhaul and a friend with a pick up. Don't pay a tow truck it costs a fortune.

It's a lovely situation, I'm in the last few weeks myself. I got absolutely no help since I was racing at the time of failure. The highest they'll quote you is $25,000 out the door with a brand new zero mile engine. Obviously there are a LOT of routes with the cost potentially that high. A new car becomes a very reasonable option at that point.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 26, 2019

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We're separated. I was paying off the car as a convenience and a Nice Guy move for her. It's on her to take the bus to work. I have shitloads of vehicles (2 cars 2 bikes not counting this POS). So, i'm curious more about how I can fight/negotiate with Subaru to get a new block in it. Thank you for the awesome post.

e: I have an '05 Expedition so I could just do the uhaul drag myself. How much of a pain is it to haul an AWD with uhaul gear tho?

Also, you mentioned insurance. We do of course have full coverage as it's still in financing but.....can insurance even cover a windowed block? I figured it was just for collision.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 26, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Have her call her provider and ask for a copy of her policy if she doesn't have one. Her agent may be shady and I've personally had issues with what the policy said vs what the agent said. Its a completely free move and she'll need as many as she can get.

The Uhaul is a pretty standard affair. Two front wheel straps and a rear chain.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 26, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Also depends on whether she claims to have hit anything or not.

Personally I wouldn't be playing the nice guy after a divorce. Should've made her get her own loan and re-register it and have it written into the divorce agreement. That's a pretty standard thing.

Then again, my exwife wouldn't sign off papers for me to refinance the house after my divorce, so I let that fucker sink to foreclosure. Gonna gently caress up my deed transfer, you get lovely credit too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 26, 2019

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's my policy, through geico. we do have comprehensive on it. I'll call tomorrow.
and yeah, i could write tomes about how i'm being a sucker after our splitup, but that is for later, after i deal with the real issue of having -6,000 dollars sitting in my driveway.

We also went through a foreclosure and my credit is like, zero, so there wouldn't be any real impact to my daily life by just letting it go into repo. I live cash. I would, however, like to avoid that.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 26, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also depends on whether she claims to have hit anything or not.

Personally I wouldn't be playing the nice guy after a divorce. Should've made her get her own loan and re-register it and have it written into the divorce agreement. That's a pretty standard thing.

Then again, my exwife wouldn't sign off papers for me to refinance the house after my divorce, so I let that fucker sink to foreclosure. Gonna gently caress up my deed transfer, you get lovely credit too.

The outcome of this post is exactly why I still pay for my ex's Subaru. My name is on it, so it's my credit. There's no way she would be able to get financing. My sister had it written in her divorce agreement that they would each get refinanced, and her ex never did and stopped paying. Yeah, you can get it taken off your credit, but it's still a pain in the rear end.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I managed to get a refinance loan for my car to get my exwife off of that, my credit wasn't complete garbage at that point. Didn't take long after for it to tank though.

Y'all are better people than me. My ex was being a spiteful brat about the house, but didn't want it herself, or for me to stay in it. So I take delight in knowing she can't get a reasonable car loan or another mortgage for a few more years.

Remember kids, marriage is for suckers.

Believe me, some company out there will refinance that forester for her for 21% interest.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at this point i'm almost feelin it. i swear to god i told her to check the oil once a month at least cause i knew the consumption thing was in play. gently caress. I'm so screwed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Realtalk, if i can find a long block at a decent price, i'll buy a craigslist engine hoist and swap that motherfucker out with my own blood sweat and tears. It seems like the least horrible configuration to do a swap on, from what I can tell. No turbo poo poo or whatever to deal with.

and then i'll sell it and whatever's left over i'll put into a bus pass for the ex

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Jonny 290 posted:

Realtalk, if i can find a long block at a decent price, i'll buy a craigslist engine hoist and swap that motherfucker out with my own blood sweat and tears. It seems like the least horrible configuration to do a swap on, from what I can tell. No turbo poo poo or whatever to deal with.

and then i'll sell it and whatever's left over i'll put into a bus pass for the ex

It’s brutal, but why not just pay off the car as normal and let her worry about transportation? It’s only a year. People have payments a lot longer than that from divorces.

I’d just protect my credit by paying it off and let her worry about the actual car.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's a more reasonable answer than what I was driving at.

Situations vary, you have kids with her? Because I could see keeping the car up if she has custody.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This last page has a lot of bad decisions on it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Hang on, let me quote myself from a couple pages back and get in on this pile of bad decisions.

Naked Bear posted:

I'm at the point where I'm looking at used long blocks for my '02 WRX. This is what happens when you no longer make a turbo wagon, Subaru.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'll have to say, once you liberate yourself from all of the issues Subaru motors have by building a block, it's feels pretty good. Now if your engine breaks it's your fault and not someone else's.

PS Linky

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Here's a good one:

Driving along, VDC off light comes on, temp gauge starts spiking up rapidly till it hits the red. Turn car off, turn it back on, temp is still high but half of what the gauge said before. Pop the hood, it's been spraying coolant like a goddamn firehose in there. I think I put about 500ml in the next day.

Alternately, keep ripping along and the VDC Off light will go away and the gauge will drop of its own accord. This will keep cycling for as long as I keep driving, hours, with no effect on power or engine sound. Not losing oil.

Options:

A. Wiring gremlin.
B. Transmission is overheating intermittently.
C. Thermostat is stuck.
C. Head Gasket is starting to fail bigly.

As I no longer get heat out of my vents since this started cropping up, gonna go with C and C. Shiiiiiit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I don't know how VDC enters into it, but yeah, that sounds like a Tstat problem.