Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sauer kraut posted:

Last week, as small amusement park in the Black Forest:

Our latest attraction is ready to launch! Behold the Kraken Karussell!

Let's fire 'er up!

The whoopsie is distasteful, but holy poo poo I want to ride that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

GABBRO IS COMING

i understood this joke

Dienes posted:

Why do SO MANY house have a little desk/work niche in the kitchen that is ill-suited for both office work and kitchen work?

That's where the phone is supposed to go. You know, the actual wired into the wall, heavy brick of a phone with a curly cord for the handpiece? I know you kids grew up in a world of wireless but maybe you had a grandparent with one. You put a little platform there so you can write down a message or keep a rolodex (that's another ancient technology) and also have a nice long cord so you can chat on the phone while you do stuff in the kitchen.

Scarodactyl posted:

My guess is gneiss on these two.
Same general composition as granite but smooshed and chemical processes concentrate darker and lighter minerals into bands. Might have started as granite and just been smooshed a bit, or as shale and gone through a ton of metamorphism to grow such big crystals.
But it could be marble too. Can't tell with any certainty.
My first geology course was on the Tuolumne suite, and I was also pretty captivated by those sphenes. My one real publication is on the hornblende crystals in the halfdome granodiorite too. I hope you really like whatever else you ended up studying because you should have majored in geology.

Oh well, HEY. You've likely seen, even if you didn't notice, all the hydrothermal vents scattered around the place? My professor at SF State, Dr. David Mustart, was the guy who noticed and characterized them. Unofficially called "bungholes from hell." They're typically but not always associated with dikes. For example, there's a prominent one in the exposed bedrock of the area around the fence at the top of Vernal Falls, and you can see several more in the opposite cliff face when hiking up the mist trail.

Anyway yeah I was good at the science classes but bad at the math, so I went into technical writing instead of trying to become a scientist. No, I do not really like it better and I wish I'd just worked harder at the math.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

and also have a nice long cord so you can chat on the phone while you do stuff in the kitchen.

I've wondered for a while whether the super long phone cords and especially the trope of picking up the phone base and walking around with a super long wall lead was a real thing in the US or just another one of those products of necessity from hollywood filmmaking; I've never seen that approach in the UK, always a regular phone on a regular length cord that you drat well used where it was, until analogue wireless (or "portable") phones came along. Also when I was quite little we still had a rotary phone, briefly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A long cable (from the wall to the base) was unusual imo, but an extra-long curly cord (from the base to the handset) was definitely a thing I saw a lot, especially in kitchens

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I never saw the long wall lead but my family has had homes with the long handset.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've wondered for a while whether the super long phone cords and especially the trope of picking up the phone base and walking around with a super long wall lead was a real thing in the US or just another one of those products of necessity from hollywood filmmaking; I've never seen that approach in the UK, always a regular phone on a regular length cord that you drat well used where it was, until analogue wireless (or "portable") phones came along. Also when I was quite little we still had a rotary phone, briefly.

I had both a long wall lead in my room, and the super long curly thing in the kitchen. They were game changers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Both were things I routinely saw in my home and friends' homes in the 1980s. The advent of wireless handsets was an absolute game-changer.

e. I bet it saved hundreds of lives annually from people not tripping over phone cords

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1165717960775938048

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It looks like a facade for use on a movie set.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It looks like a model for use in a Kaiju a movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"So what kind of æsthetic are we going for here?"
"I LOVE SIDING"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

A long cable (from the wall to the base) was unusual imo, but an extra-long curly cord (from the base to the handset) was definitely a thing I saw a lot, especially in kitchens

Seconded. My childhood was full of ducking under the stretched-out curly cord whenever I had to pass through the kitchen while my mom was on the phone. (We didn't have the kitchen desk, but she used the top of the dishwasher for the same purpose. And yes, we had the kind of dishwasher that you had to roll into the middle of the kitchen and hand-connect to the faucet when you wanted to use it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I remember having the job to untwirly the cord every two weeks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Anne Whateley posted:

Switzerland, 1973. My sister in her natural habitat.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

I remember having the job to untwirly the cord every two weeks.

I had forgotten how much I loved doing that.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

The last corded phone my family had was 10 feet of curly cord in the kitchen, and I have no idea how long it got. I can’t believe it was 20 years ago!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sauer kraut posted:

Our latest attraction is ready to launch! Behold the Kraken Karussell!

I can't believe that's actually real.

I saw the gif of it in motion and thought it was a render so someone could make an incredibly poor joke.

And this looks like the kind of building you see at rowing clubs and the like.

Cheap, lasts forever, no one cares what it looks like because it's only used on weekends and to store poo poo.

:stonk: at the idea anyone would live in something like that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can't believe that's actually real.

I saw the gif of it in motion and thought it was a render so someone could make an incredibly poor joke.

And this looks like the kind of building you see at rowing clubs and the like.

Cheap, lasts forever, no one cares what it looks like because it's only used on weekends and to store poo poo.

:stonk: at the idea anyone would live in something like that.

6 people! Look at how many electric meters there are on the side.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It Belongs in the capitalism.jpg thread.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

6 people! Look at how many electric meters there are on the side.

I’ve seen worse. I need to go find pictures of a 12-plex in North Dakota with exterior stairways. Enjoy climbing to the 3rd floor after a snowstorm.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Not sure which is the bigger joke here, the subject matter or my :mediocre: photoshop skills

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

rndmnmbr posted:

Not sure which is the bigger joke here, the subject matter or my :mediocre: photoshop skills

And there it is. :golfclap:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PurpleXVI posted:

"I became a geologist because I hate all stone and wanted to learn how to best destroy it. Don't talk about that cursed substance near me. Begone!"

Come work in iron ore; you get to blow up a few billion tonnes of rock per year and ship a third of a billion tonnes of it out of your drat country.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jaded Burnout posted:

Buy one of these

and then yell at your kids when they don't wind it up after their calls.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

PurpleXVI posted:

"I became a geologist because I hate all stone and wanted to learn how to best destroy it. Don't talk about that cursed substance near me. Begone!"

I never even thought that all those nice marble statues would come to life and start killing people, but now I know who to call.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm triggered by the designer's desire for symmetry which nonetheless fails in subtle ways.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It looks like generic college apartments.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PurpleXVI posted:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Getting a real Branch Davidian feel here.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm triggered by the designer's desire for symmetry which nonetheless fails in subtle ways.

That upper left window has my ocd raging.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

That upper left window has my ocd raging.

I hadn't seen it, and now I can't not.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Because he lives in a society where your job is determined for you by a chip in your hand.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
A missing shutter isn't so bad, but the slightly off center entryway roof is ugly. Why not make it a little bit narrower and put it in between the two windows rather than covering up the octagonal one?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also they're clearly "decorative" shutters since they're smaller than their respective windows, and that means someone decided to decorate that slab of siding, and felt that the shutters improved things.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Just wanted to point out they put three circle windows in the center of the house, fulfilling symmetry yet shoving the door to the side in some terrible crime against nature.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

gently caress you, I hadn't noticed the front door being non-centered before and now I can't not notice it. Get it out of my brain.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I just want to say 'gently caress jigsaws and their bendy blades'

Also, never send a boy (jigsaw) to do a man's (circular) job'

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It must be the backside of a commercial building that somebody decided to 'spruce up' with shutters and a stoop.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Shut up Meg posted:

In order to stay thread relevant, do not gently caress with either of these when you have a reciprocating saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shut up Meg posted:

Jigsaws can be a handful, but generally, if it isn't going where you want it to go, or is bending blades, you're pushing too hard, or your blade is dull.
That said, if you need a straight line, yeah, jigsaw isn't the best choice.