Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of the problem is people keep writing it off as just being derivative of something else so you get people checking it out because they like the thing it's compared to but in reality remnant is a whole lot of little touches from different games to the point where it's hard to classify it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Free Triangle posted:

If I'm looking the magnum which isn't in my seed, could I find it by resetting?

Yes, one of the main points of resetting is to have the possibility of getting different weapons/items/bosses. It also means that you might not get the AR again when you reset. This is also how you change the difficulty setting.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regrettable posted:

Yes, one of the main points of resetting is to have the possibility of getting different weapons/items/bosses. It also means that you might not get the AR again when you reset. This is also how you change the difficulty setting.

i've done earth like 12 times and have yet to see Ent though :mad:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm paralyzed by choice when it comes to picking my class. Can I change it later?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Skyarb posted:

I'm paralyzed by choice when it comes to picking my class. Can I change it later?

It barely matters. In a blink you'll be able to buy the armour and weapons of the other two classes, and you can obtain the traits via events.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skyarb posted:

It ultimately doesn't matter as you can obtain everything eventually so just pick whatever you think looks good to start with

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they work like dark souls classes in that you start with a particular kit but none of it is actually 'unique' to that choice

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Thanks all!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Asema posted:

i've done earth like 12 times and have yet to see Ent though :mad:

ive done or watched friends stream through earth 5 times now and i didnt even know ent wasnt a guaranteed boss fight

i dont know how much i like the idea, but the execution of the randomization aspect of this game is honestly really poor

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 25, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The join game function needs to at least allow you to select which world you want to join, that'd make that aspect a lot less unbearable.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Skyarb posted:

Classes don't really matter too much for the most part unless you really care about the armor set looks and don't want to hunt them down later. I'd say ex-cultist probably has the most useful starting trait that generates more mod power. Not the end of the world if you're lacking it, been playing scrapper thats gotten through the game.

Hunting for a specific piece is chorish since they're mostly found in earth,. Problem is earth is the first zonem, so you'll blow by that and then your gearscore gets jacked up then never seeing earth for a long while.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 25, 2019

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
My friend and I keep getting our asses kicked by scourge and i don't like it, not one bit. if you let those adds get too close they murder you very quickly

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This looks sick as hell. I'm guessing there aren't like invasions or anything, though, which was the best part of Dark Souls. It still looks ridiculously fun though.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Judgement posted:

I still have literally never had anybody connect to my game, despite leaving it on Public since I started, even though I can join others just fine. The Coop is fun! I wish I could do it and actually progress!

You must have some firewall settings or something going on.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Please someone tell me there is a way to set my weapons to 1 and 2 on the keyboard. I hate using "x" to switch weapons, because my muscle memory from every other game since forever is to hit 1 or 2 in a panic when I am out of ammo!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my understanding is that this game is kinda like resident evil gameplay meets bloodborne's chalice dungeons

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Anyone else also have the lumenite crystals stop dropping for them?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Mechayahiko posted:

Anyone else also have the lumenite crystals stop dropping for them?

It's somewhat random as to whether they drop or not, unless you're talking about the Rhom puzzle. They seem to have removed them from that completely.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Drakes posted:

Classes don't really matter too much for the most part unless you really care about the armor set looks and don't want to hunt them down later. I'd say ex-cultist probably has the most useful starting trait that generates more mod power. Not the end of the world if you're lacking it, been playing scrapper thats gotten through the game.

Hunting for a specific piece is chorish since they're mostly found in earth,. Problem is earth is the first zonem, so you'll blow by that and then your gearscore gets jacked up then never seeing earth for a long while.

You can buy all of the class starting armors and weapons from the weapon upgrade vendor in the ward.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Tollymain posted:

my understanding is that this game is kinda like resident evil gameplay meets bloodborne's chalice dungeons

IMO it feels like... Monster Hunter with guns.

Sure there's the Souls aesthetic and the fires, but in practice it's much more like MoHun (lack of death penalty, random hunts, monster parts, killing things to make into weapons, the whole element + blight system, yada yada).
That and some sprinkling of Diablo 3. Especially with the upcoming Adventure mode feature.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 26, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Skyarb posted:

Please someone tell me there is a way to set my weapons to 1 and 2 on the keyboard. I hate using "x" to switch weapons, because my muscle memory from every other game since forever is to hit 1 or 2 in a panic when I am out of ammo!

I've tried but unless you use AutoHotKey or something, you can't do it via the in-game binding. They unfortunately don't allow multiple key binds for the same action.

I had the same problem as you and I kept using items bound to 1 or 2. So I bound those to the function keys instead. Then it turned out I think there's a bug with binding F4 as an item hotkey. So I just said gently caress it and stuck to the default keybinds. Except Alt for crouch of course.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
alright well as expected of a game like this the first boss (i dont know if it's the same for everyone but it's the room with the big brute guy and a bunch of screaming kamikaze nerds) is kicking my rear end and i know it's because i haven't figured out the right way to deal with things. he's not too difficult on his own, stay at range and he basically only charges, but the little guys suck and i have no idea when they're actually spawning, it seems like it's random and everywhere so ican't predict it

this is annoying but i will embrace the hate

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait until theyre about to explode and roll away

theyre not so bad tbh, most adds require you to bother shooting them

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
And pay attention to audio cues on the screaming explodey guys. If they start screaming, stop shooting and figure out where they're coming from. Don't bother shooting them, just bait them into detonating. Roll away when they start blinking red, shoot gorefist some more or use the time between waves to create some distance from him, repeat. Once the flow clicks you'll kill him in a couple tries.

Captain Morose fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 26, 2019

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

There's also a tiny room to your left just as the fight starts. You can bait him in there and then roll out the window so he has to walk back around, giving yourself more time to shoot him/adds.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I should probably go leave and upgrade stuff, but i'm worried if I do that I'll have to run through the dungeon again to get back. Does it just save as a checkpoint or is it one of those "this isn't really a checkpoint" things so I can't warp back to it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dungeon checkpoints can be warped back to from ward 13 but you have to go directly back after doing your business or the last checkpoint slot will be written over

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
Just rerun the dungeons anyway. You'll need a good amount of crafting mats and scrap for upgrades, and upgrades will make each consecutive run a bit easier. Definitely don't go into the bosses with +2 guns or whatever.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have a +1 and a +0 so yeah i'll just upgrade and possibly rerun

update: i now have a +5 coach gun and a +4 smg, im going to go make him my bitch

update 2: gottem ezpz

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 26, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

upgrading your gear is super important. make sure to upgrade your armor as well.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
w the way scaling works, you basically want to keep all the gear you're using at roughly the same upgrade level, looks like?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Tollymain posted:

w the way scaling works, you basically want to keep all the gear you're using at roughly the same upgrade level, looks like?

Yes, it scales to your highest.

Try to keep all armor and weapons you're using about even - which you will want to do anyway because the iron type you find will scale up as well. If you underlevel something by a lot, you will have a harder time finding the lower tier iron to upgrade it and be forced to buy it from vendors.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Here's how scaling works from the devs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/remnantgame/comments/crs0i3/level_scaling_information/ posted:

The game uses a weighted average to determine your potential power. It searches each slot (both equipped and inventory) and finds the highest level item (it doesn't consider any item below the highest) and uses it for that weighted average. So, if you have a +5 gun (so level 6 behind the scenes), a +3 secondary gun, a +2 sword, and +1 armor (all 3 slots) your weighted afterage is about level 5. Now, each NEW area you go into will be 5+1 (your level +1, so 6). Your level 6 gun will be doing work, and your armor will be below-par for enemies in that level 6 zone.

NOTE: The game ONLY calculates the highest item in each slot. If you have 10 Long Guns, and all of them are level 1, but one of them is level 7, it only counts the level 7. The other level 1's do NOT drag down the average in any way. You to NOT need to grind/level up gear you are not using.

The resource drops to upgrade your gear is based on the ACTUAL average level. In the above example, using the same gear, your average level is 3.16 (so level 3). It will keep dropping regular Iron until your average is +5. Then it will start dropping Forged. This is to compel you to keep leveling up your weakest gear that you use. Again, you do NOT need to upgrade gear you aren't wearing (the game only considers the highest level item in each slot).

OK, so... in practice, the World Boss of Earth is minimum level 5. This means that you can get to it when your average level is 2,3,4... and the World Boss will still be level 5. If you get to it and all your gear is +2 (the "third" tier of armor), then you have 20% less armor than you would have if you were "even" with the boss.

EDIT: To clarify, each zone has a minimum level as well. Example: The World Boss of City will never be lower than 5. So, in the above example, if you get there at level 2, the boss will still be 5. If you get there at 5 (which meets the minimum level), the boss will be 6 (and so on).

If you decide "OK, I clearly need to level up!!!" and get to level 6, that level 5 area REMAINS level 5. It never changes difficulty unless you reroll the entire campaign. This is so that you can absolutely power-up and outlevel the area that was giving you problems. You will now be doing 10% more damage and taking 10% less damage than you would had you been level 5 against level 5 enemies.

Now, if you leveled up to level 21 (+20 all items, the max gearscore), that area that you previously spawned at level 5 would be an absolute joke. You would be doing 150% more damage than if you were "even" and you'd basically take almost no damage... because you outlevel them by a massive margin.

Just to be clear, once a zone is spawned at its level, it NEVER levels up again until you reroll the entire campaign. This is so each level starts at a challenging level and allows to you power up and get stronger, thus making it considerably easier should you decide to do so!

EDIT: When I say LEVEL, I mean your GEARSCORE (both weighted average and your actual average). This has nothing to do with Trait Rank. Max gearscore is +20 which equates to Level 21... meaning, the highest the enemies can go is Level 22. Of course, this is all behind the scenes.

EDIT: Reworded some stuff so players understand that it also checks your inventory. Unequipping items doesn't change anything (so you can't unequip items, spawn a zone, then requip all your gear).

EDIT: Added info on minimum level.

EDIT: Boss weapons count +2 for every upgrade. A +10 is equal to a +20 base weap.

EDIT: We are making adjustment to co-op scaling so I'm holding off on explaining it until those changes are in. However, that stuff is coming very soon, so please be patient! =)

Note: Will edit/update as necessary!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Defending the root mother solo is a complete and total pain in the rear end.

Though just deleting the regular mobs with two hits helped instead of just trying to shoot everything. Faster and saves ammo for the special mobs.

Also getting the spitfire from helping someone else before really helped after a while.

I am bad at games but that took me like 10 attempts.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
And easy way to tell how you are doing with the scaling is after hitting the start button take a look at the "Advance Info" Window. You'll see a little section called "Rating vs World" at the bottom left. It will tell you if you are on par, higher, or too low for that zone for both offensive and defense.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

Tinfoil's build is a monster, and I have only a few more things to complete to also make a melee build to test it out.

I'm going to use the lifesteal scythe instead of the hammer to see if there's any difference.

Is it just a matter of "equip everything that buffs melee" or should I be looking for specific pieces?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

After reading about save corruption I think I'm going to hold off playing until the issues are addressed

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Game is fun as hell but good gravy it seems like every boss I've run into is just a meaty guy with horde around em.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

^burtle posted:

Game is fun as hell but good gravy it seems like every boss I've run into is just a meaty guy with horde around em.

It's part of the design. You need to the horde around them so you can get ammo so you don't have to rely on Ammo crates.

It's all about when to kill and when to not kill the mobs as some bosses can only have 2 or 3 up at a time. Some like the butcher, will just summon a horde that stacks but that's because the main boss himself isn't that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I mean, yeah, it's part of the design, but so is ammo lying around in other games. This one has some obvious downsides, and using it all the time really reveals those downsides.

It'd be cool if they made a boss whose mechanic was "guns don't work" and you have to read boss moves and use openings for melee, it'd change it up nicely, and before someone says "but guns not working is poo poo" suck it up, there are already bosses immune to melee and that's total bullshit too.