Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

chiasaur11 posted:

Yes, but you don't have to. Same with Seteth.

I wanted to as revenge for stealing my rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Do you have to do something special to get the option to be that much of a jerk? They just ran off right away for me.

Basically the first one you defeat will be spared if you defeat them with Byleth. Then the other will retreat when defeated too. If you defeat the first one with any other unit, they die, which then makes the other fight to the death.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

:same:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Basically the first one you defeat will be spared if you defeat them with Byleth. Then the other will retreat when defeated too. If you defeat the first one with any other unit, they die, which then makes the other fight to the death.
That's funny. I had Byleth chase Flayn halfway across the map because I wanted to recruit her, which seemed like a longshot, and obviously didn't pan out, but I guess it wasn't a waste of time after all.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

loving lmao at the last fight in Blue Lions

I saw that one of the enemy mages had "bullshit spell that drops you to 1HP," went "oh gently caress that," and warped Dimitri over there to kill him.

...and then every single dark mage on the field teleported away. Slithers are cowards :cawg:

I cast Retribution on my whole crew so when that dude attacked Petra from across the map she counter-attacked with two tries from her hand axe+ or whatever and of course critted him in one shot

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Harrow posted:

Oh that's dumb. I was really surprised when the game "let me" kill Flayn and had no idea that attacking with Byleth caused different options. Oh well!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's almost scary how good of a class Wyvern Lord is. It's not hard to break the game in half on Hard mode, but it's still insane just how effective Wyvern Lord Byleth is.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

I stole Flayn's magic ring in both fights with her and figured that was good enough for turnabout. I'm just upset that you're not allowed to steal Seteth's fancy shield. Ferdinand could have used that!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

I had both options trigger in the same playthrough (thanks rewind button) and from what I remember Byleth doesn't need to be the one to defeat them to make them run as long as you triggered their dialog. So, Flayn can attack Byleth for 1HP, and then Caspar can ruin her day and she'll run away.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Doing my second playthrough with the Black Eagles, and so far I've managed to recruit everyone I can from the BL and Golden Deer because I'm exactly the kind of stupid rear end who doesn't want to see all his anime babies die.

Also it was a bold move to make the standard Fire Emblem Scoweling-Obviously-Evil Dark Mage be Edlegard's second in command. How were you not supposed to guess they were up to something, Hubert cackles like he's tying a woman to the railroad tracks when he triggers a critical hit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Doing my second playthrough with the Black Eagles, and so far I've managed to recruit everyone I can from the BL and Golden Deer because I'm exactly the kind of stupid rear end who doesn't want to see all his anime babies die.

Also it was a bold move to make the standard Fire Emblem Scoweling-Obviously-Evil Dark Mage be Edlegard's second in command. How were you not supposed to guess they were up to something, Hubert cackles like he's tying a woman to the railroad tracks when he triggers a critical hit.

Hubert is a good boy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Hell yeah, that's why he rules

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah, that's why he rules

It's kind of the best. If you're gonna be that guy, might as well fully lean into it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how after Jeralt bites it he's just like "I'm bad at condolences. Bye now."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I love how after Jeralt bites it he's just like "I'm bad at condolences. Bye now."

I wish they let more people join your party but then take them away suddenly. I’m amazed at the concept of the BE routes because of that but on the other routes you can have almost a complete party. I wanted actual people with supports the game just goes nope they’re gone war sucks bye

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean, on BE he's at least "I'm bad at condolences, so here's my thoughts: the church knights are away from the monastery searching, thus monastery defence is comparatively understaffed. If this was the enemy's aim, then you might be able to get revenge sooner than you'd think."
He's still, you know, real bad at the whole emotional support dealio, but at least he's kinda trying to be all "well, at least you might be able to get back at them soon".

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 26, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Reading the last few pages of this thread made me realize I'm loving up act 2 pretty badly, whoops! Re: act two gameplay mechanics: How do you recruit other classmates when you see them on the battlefield? Lysithea asked if she could join me when I saw her on the battlefield, and with Claude I had an explicit option to spare him. But with everyone else, my characters are just killing them and there's never any sort of prompt.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

Reading the last few pages of this thread made me realize I'm loving up act 2 pretty badly, whoops! Re: act two gameplay mechanics: How do you recruit old classmates in battle? Lysithea naturally asked if she could join me when I saw her on the battlefield, and with Claude I had an explicit option to spare him. But with everyone else, my characters are just killing them and there's never any sort of prompt.

Once you're past the timeskip, you can only recruit a very select few characters after you beat them in battle. Everyone else dies (baring Claude, Flayn and Seteth who you can specifically spare and who just leave). For example, I would assume you're BE, where AFAIK the only battle-recruitable character Lysithea (for pretty obvious reasons she's pretty cool with Edel's vision of crestless society and they have...well, experiences they can bond over).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is one additional case: a couple of characters can leave even though you've already recruited them Ashe, Lorentz , in which case defeating them will let you get them back (but, again, only if you've already recruited them in part 1).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

I wasn't paying attention and apparently let Hilda die and saved the game at some point. I'm sad.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Ah, thanks. The Flayn / Seteth conversation made me think I was missing out on other character interactions by attacking with students rather than Byleth. I don't remember who I attacked Flayn and Seteth with, but I definitely never got any prompt to let them live.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Glimm posted:

I wasn't paying attention and apparently let Hilda die and saved the game at some point. I'm sad.

Death is the logical extension of her allergy to work

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
just popping in to say i'm enjoying this video game and wow bernie got serious problems

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In terms of gameplay, is it feasible to just beat the game without recruiting many folks? I'd rather keep the houses intact for story reasons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

In terms of gameplay, is it feasible to just beat the game without recruiting many folks? I'd rather keep the houses intact for story reasons.

Yes. Recruiting is entirely optional.

Recruiting works fine story-wise though.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tender Bender posted:

Depends on the route. The final few maps allow as many as 12 characters, so you're gonna have some unfulfilled slots if you don't recruit absolutely anyone. However, you can fill those spots with the teachers - which ones depend on the route though.

I guess I should note the game is probably easy enough to beat even with only 10/12 units on the final maps

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

just popping in to say i'm enjoying this video game and wow bernie got serious problems

Universal Healthcare is entirely feasible we just need to give it a chance :colbert:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

15 is the optimal number of characters. Depending on the route you may not be able to get that many for endgame without poaching students.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Having finished GD I am disappointed with the lack of in battle conversations compared to what you can get from BE.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The wife pictures at the end are so loving bad.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

^burtle posted:

Yeah, only like 3 of them have any boobs. I paid $60 for this?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^burtle posted:

Marry a male character

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I’m happy with the S rank CG I got so far

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kiranamos posted:

Death is the logical extension of her allergy to work

Hell yeah work sucks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't even remember the ending CG so I guess it wasn't anything offensively bad

edit: looking it up, it was pretty ugly

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 26, 2019

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Amppelix posted:

Marry a male character

spoiler the list of power bottoms for me plz

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I don't even remember the ending CG so I guess it wasn't anything offensively bad

Some of the CG pictures have slightly revealing poses considering what they are wearing. For the most part though they lean towards the adorable like with Catherine and Flayn hugging Byleth.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The few I've seen just seem kind of low quality compared to the rest of the game's 2d cg assets

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
The one I got was of a really heartfelt happy cry and it melted my heart

quote:

For the longest time, I didn't think I'd be around to be a part of the future you and everyone were creating. That I had no place in it. But now, I cannot fight it any longer... I do care. And I do not wish to give up on chasing that future. I do not wish to die! I refuse to give up...on myself, or on our future. And so...I promise to come back to you. No matter what!

and poo poo I’d be crying if I were saying that stuff beforehand too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Byleth looks even dumber with green hair lmao