Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1165972562356199426

It's a nice thought, but does count on more self-awareness than I've come to expect from CG.

Kiwifarms cgate thread has mostly died down because a second thread opened where its just complaining about cgate creators, mainly evs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Comicsgate is going to be pretty hosed after Rise of the Skywalker as there won't be any fuel for the fire for some time. No Star Wars movies for years, no Brie Larson, a Black Widow movie that they have to like because ScoJo pretended to be a Japanese woman.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

E the Shaggy posted:

Comicsgate is going to be pretty hosed after Rise of the Skywalker as there won't be any fuel for the fire for some time. No Star Wars movies for years, no Brie Larson, a Black Widow movie that they have to like because ScoJo pretended to be a Japanese woman.

"Obi-Wan never had that dark-skinned/non-cishet/colorfully haired friend! Disney is REWRITING HISTORY!"

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Marvel movies will give them fuel for years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Kiwifarms cgate thread has mostly died down because a second thread opened where its just complaining about cgate creators, mainly evs

Ha! The Farms do enjoy eating their own.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

E the Shaggy posted:

That implies a logical component which frankly isn't there. All it will take is one joke in one panel that appears to be at the expense of someone or something that's vaguely in their ideological corner, and it's enough grist for the mill to keep them going for another few weeks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm sure they'll be perfectly content to complain about old movies for years to come

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the mandalorian has a pretty heavy non white cast and thats this fall; black widow, falcon and the winter soldier, and eternals all come out next year i think theyll have plenty to gripe about

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And all it takes is something like Brie Larson holding Mjolnir to spark it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm sure they'll be perfectly content to complain about old movies for years to come

They can't complain about anything that wasn't made when their grift audience had already reached adulthood, because then they can't present themselves as defending the way things used to be against a nefarious outsider trying to Force Change.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

E the Shaggy posted:

Nah, there will probably be some announcements about a Captain Marvel sequel or something for them to flip out over.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The next round of Marvel movies and TV shows puts women and people of color front and center. Wandavision, Black Panther II, Shang-Chi, She-Hulk, Lady Thor, Black Widow, Falcon as Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop/Hawkeye - Marvel is betting very heavily on non white dudes as the next big thing.

We'll be hearing from these dumb clowns for a long, long time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FMguru posted:

The next round of Marvel movies and TV shows puts women and people of color front and center. Wandavision, Black Panther II, Shang-Chi, She-Hulk, Lady Thor, Black Widow, Falcon as Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop/Hawkeye - Marvel is betting very heavily on non white dudes as the next big thing.

We'll be hearing from these dumb clowns for a long, long time.

Disney is an evil megacorp that, like all corporations, deserves dissolution and for every board member to be jailed. But, it is nice they see profit in appealing to non-white, non-het, non-male-identifying-individuals enough for them to sell us versions of our culture -- that were rightfully the people's to begin with -- in a form that acknowledges our existence.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i hope marvel ignores netflix jessica jones and gives us hellcat as jennifer's bff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covok posted:

Disney is an evil megacorp that, like all corporations, deserves dissolution and for every board member to be jailed. But, it is nice they see profit in appealing to non-white, non-het, non-male-identifying-individuals enough for them to sell us versions of our culture -- that were rightfully the people's to begin with -- in a form that acknowledges our existence.
Yeah, they aren't doing it because of their heartfelt commitment to a more inclusive culture - they're doing it because their market research shows that this is where the money is, going forward. It's the same reason Doritos sells their chips in rainbow-themed bags during pride month, or why Nike signed Colin Kaepernick to a marketing deal - because their numbers show that this is where their customers are headed. Nike could have built a campaign around famous athletes thanking soldiers and police officers for their service and calling them "the real heroes", but instead they went with Kaep.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 26, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FMguru posted:

Yeah, they aren't doing it because of their heartfelt commitment to a more inclusive culture - they're doing it because their market research shows that this is where the money is, going forward. It's the same reason Doritos sells their chips in rainbow-themed bags during pride month, or why Nike signed Colin Kaepernick to a marketing deal - because their numbers show that this is where their customers are headed. Nike could have built a campaign around famous athletes thanking soldiers and police officers for their service and calling them "the real heroes", but instead they went with Kaep.

I almost barfed reading this paragraph.

Captialism is synomous with corruption. Taking even good deeds and hollowing them out in grotesque shells. In a just world, people would do this because it is JUST and RIGHT. In our world, people do it to make a quick buck. Disgusting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Covok posted:

Captialism is synomous with corruption. Taking even good deeds and hollowing them out in grotesque shells. In a just world, people would do this because it is JUST and RIGHT. In our world, people do it to make a quick buck. Disgusting.

In an imperfect moral universe, I will take good deeds done for profit over the lack of any good deeds whatsoever.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
that there's a big overlap between people who hate "the sjw agenda" and people who just loving looove capitalism makes it at least slightly funnier, even if there's absolutely zero good intentions from pretty much anyone involved

I've seen a lot of "why is there only straight white dudes in comics" answered with "because only straight white dudes read comics and marvel is a business"

now that "marvel is a business" and "minorities have money too" are starting to align the older, straighter, pastier market are making GBS threads their tighty whities

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

i hope marvel ignores netflix jessica jones and gives us hellcat as jennifer's bff

I think legally they can't, unless they pull a DC and make it Technically Not Hellcat. Like by calling her The Cat and saying it's Tigra before she turned into a furry but writing her as patsy.

Covok posted:

Commodification, appropriation, division. :capitalism:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Wanderer posted:

In an imperfect moral universe, I will take good deeds done for profit over the lack of any good deeds whatsoever.

Not really good deeds, then.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Covok posted:

That's all it's been the whole time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/LlcTerrific/status/1164985666083495936

So... this dude is doing a Youngblood comic without any involvement from Rob at all? The guy also gets into a weird fight with Erik Larsen and I baffled as to whether the account is parody or just deeply stupid. Both is always an option.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 27, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I forget if I posted about that whole thing in here or in another thread, but basically:

1) Rob Liefeld made a lot of bad moves and kept jumping from company to company in the late 1990s
2) Awesome Comics was going to a company co-founded by Rob Liefeld and Jeph Loeb, and Loeb suggested they get funding from Scott Rosenberg, who totally belongs in Industry Terribleness part of this thread for stuff before, during, and after his time working with Liefeld.
2a) Awesome Comics quickly crashes and burns, and Alan Moore ends up doing America's Best Comics almost entirely because he told a bunch of artists they could work on the books he was doing for Liefeld (Supreme, Youngblood, Glory) and Moore felt bad that suddenly they didn't have work, so he arranged for Wildstorm to do ABC as a make-good.
3) Like twenty years pass, and Rosenberg goes "oh uh actually I sold the movie rights I had for Youngblood to Andrew Rev, who bought Comico in the early 1990s and hosed Matt Wagner and Bill Willingham and others out of their creator-owned books and surprise we've trademarked Youngblood and asserting the rights to make the comic too."

No idea if it's literally Andrew Rev posting those tweets but it's his company.

Update: scrolling through that account, it's definitely Andrew Rev and he is a trip

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 27, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What happened to the Youngblood comic Image was just recently putting out?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Update: scrolling through that account, it's definitely Andrew Rev and he is a trip

Wow. Is that why we don't have any Elementals trades?

Does Riev always talk like a deranged self-help guru who's really bad at it?

X-O posted:

What happened to the Youngblood comic Image was just recently putting out?

It was supposed to turn into something called 'Bloodwar' that I don't think ever happened. Shame, too. I'm friends with the writer which is why I read it and they were doing good stuff. Riev is even using the logo that Jim Towe designed, unless I'm mistaken.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 27, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

Wow. Is that why we don't have any Elementals trades?

Does Riev always talk like a deranged self-help guru who's really bad at it?
This is my first exposure to Andrew Rev as something other than a name other people bring up in interviews/articles so I don't know.

But yeah, Rev bought Comico out of bankruptcy in the early 1990s and did whatever it is weird scam artists to do try to assert that he owned Grendel, Mage, Elementals, and some other books I'm probably forgetting. Wagner managed to get the rights to Grendel back within a few years, and eventually got Mage back like a decade later, but Willingham either got out-maneuvered or gave up and Rev still owns Elementals, and keeps talking about reviving them/crossing them over with Youngblood on his Twitter.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
By Mark Waid, no less

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1166438509445623809?s=21

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cant believe richard meyer used his influence to silence a fellow creator. free speech. waid should sue

oh nm he just rewrote it, lol

site fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 27, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just the president censoring art critical of him by proxy, no problem here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Qlippot/status/1166484839245201409

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how long he can keep the grift up. How's IndieGoGo #6 doing?

EDIT: I guess he's only on #5. Anyway:

#1: Ended July 30, 2018 with 8566 backers for $538,456, estimated shipping November 2018

#2: Ended September 6, 2018 with 2048 backers for $90,378, estimated shipping November 2018

#3: Ended April 13, 2019 with 4804 backers for $252,741, estimated shipping July 2019

IGGs 4 and 5 are for variant covers for Vampirella comics. Meanwhile it is nearly September of 2019, and all he's shown of Cyberfrog is one panel.

He's made $881,575 (before IGG fees) for basically doing no work. If he ever actually produces a comic, obviously some of that will go to printing costs.

Man, I wish I was this good at separating fools from their money.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 28, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Owning the libs is more important to his fanbase than getting a comic book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

Owning the libs is more important to his fanbase than getting a comic book.
Can we sell the welfare state to these clowns by claiming it'll be owning the libs?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
How much does it cost to print one run of a comic? Other IGG/KS people have to have a number.

I asked on Twitter and got (UK prices unfortunately) around £700 to £1000 for 1000 books, so roughly £1 a book, how many did he want to sell?

Anora fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 28, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The usual recommendation on cost to print vs sale cost is that the latter is 2.5x the former, though I suspect floppies have a better margin than that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anora posted:

How much does it cost to print one run of a comic? Other IGG/KS people have to have a number.

I asked on Twitter and got (UK prices unfortunately) around £700 to £1000 for 1000 books, so roughly £1 a book, how many did he want to sell?

Assuming every backer gets exactly one copy, that's around 15k copies.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Ethan keeps showing like one or two new panels every six months or so. poo poo isn't even coming out this year.

Guaranteed he opens up that Reinbow Brute crap before Cyberfrog is delivered.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anora posted:

im waiting for the announcement that hes not actually gonna print any floppies but will just send everyone a pdf instead

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

im waiting for the announcement that hes not actually gonna print any floppies but will just send everyone a pdf instead

He's going to sit on a copy machine and send that out to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
who is this subtweeting

https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/1166836903808684033