Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Werix posted:

Noice. Got a source on that promo?

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-hidden-side-newburys-juice-bar-40336-promotion-coming-in-september/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Werix posted:

Glad I'm not the only one with the firehouse mixed in with the rest of his city sets. Also that haunted ECTO is awesome.

Thanks! The haunted Ecto was tons of fun to make. I posted it here ages ago, but here's a link to the pictures I took back then.
https://imgur.com/gallery/L9aTE

I'm bummed that the juice bar is a bonus set because that's the one I want the most.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

veni veni veni posted:

I’ll never get why LEGO is so inclined to make new parts, hairpieces, minifig molds or whatever on just about everything but Star Wars which they always seem to cheap out on. ironically it’s the most over priced line by far, but also uses the most recycled stuff.
They’ve introduced tons of elements for Star Wars, and some of them have become foundational pieces - ratcheting hinges are probably the best example to my mind.

I do think they tend to lean hard on the collectible side of Star Wars sets - minifigs and the like.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deoju posted:

Thanks! The haunted Ecto was tons of fun to make. I posted it here ages ago, but here's a link to the pictures I took back then.
https://imgur.com/gallery/L9aTE

I'm bummed that the juice bar is a bonus set because that's the one I want the most.

I'm planning on getting a bunch of Hidden Side stuff, if I get the Juice Bar do you want dibs? Free of charge.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Heck yeah!

At least let me pay for shipping.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nah don't worry about it, I just have to wait for September to get the sets I want to get the promo. I'm not even sure if the Hidden Side stuff has hit shelves yet but I'm glad I haven't gone yet!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
This summer I got back into Legos nearly two decades after having them thrown out. Got Voltron on a whim, along with a free coin operated rocket ride, and then my sisters surprised me with James Bond’s Aston Martin for my birthday. So it’s kind of awakened something in me. I want something smallish but still complicated enough that it’ll take time to build, that I can maybe fiddle with on my desk, so maybe Overwatch’s Bastion. Any other suggestions?

Also, more than a decade ago, I was gifted a minifig keychain of Patrick from Spongebob that disappeared into the ether when we got rid of my first car, whose keys it was attached to. Also Patrick is my real name so I got hella nostalgia for it. I’ve seen it on a couple of the sites linked in the OP. Any one of these sites better than the others?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 24, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm going to ignore your stated request and instruct you to get the Saturn V, which is still the best build I've experienced since coming back to Lego as an adult.

If you stand it vertically I'm sure you can make space for it on your desk :v:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Bricklink is the way to go for pieces and odds and ends, imo.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...Pants%5D#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Edit, there's a bit of a learning curve, but once you know what how to find what you are looking for it is the best.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Statue of Liberty is pretty good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If you can find the Ecto-1 it's a fun build that doesn't take up a lot of space and is easy to fiddle with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best sets in the last 10 years are Wall-E, the F40, the Saturn V and the big Hogwarts Castle.

Runner-ups would be Benny's Spaceship, Caterham or the first Ecto-1.

For stuff that's currently available the Statue of Liberty and Mustang are top notch.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

I wonder if I should mention this to my Disney loving wife. :ohdear:

Quoting from a few pages back, ours is arriving on Monday :x

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All finished.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Amazing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Nice work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What’s the skull from?

Amazing, btw.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The skull orginially came in a couple of the lovely juniorised Pirate sets from 2004, but it's since been in a few other sets: Pirates, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Castle.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=47990&in=S

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found the skull in a bin of random parts I bought. I'd never seen it before either. I had to check to make sure it wasn't a Mega Blok lol.

Thanks guys.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That's hot

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That looks great. I think the changes really improved the look.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

FBS posted:

I'm going to ignore your stated request and instruct you to get the Saturn V, which is still the best build I've experienced since coming back to Lego as an adult.

If you stand it vertically I'm sure you can make space for it on your desk :v:

It's one of the best sets I built in the last two years in regard to the result, but I am not so sure if I like the build itself. Maybe it's because I am mostly building technic stuff, but let me tell you: never drop the Saturn V, because there is no way to rebuild it without starting from page 1 (the inner structure which the different build steps connect to basically explodes, and you can't rebuild that without tearing the whole thing down).

Okay, okay, I shouldn't have dropped it, yeah, but the build is not very stable...I guess I'm too used to technic sets beeing basically indestructable!!! Still one of the best sets in regard to looks, price and joy to build I had in the past.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Everything non technic explodes on impact, the Saturn v is not unique in this aspect

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I found that cats really enjoyed rubbing up against and knocking my Saturn V off its stands so it has also developed an ominous rattle from within the largest stage

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I found that cats really enjoyed rubbing up against and knocking my Saturn V off its stands so it has also developed an ominous rattle from within the largest stage

The realism of these sets is unbelievable.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Invictus posted:

Everything non technic explodes on impact, the Saturn v is not unique in this aspect

The Saturn V is particularly non-forgiving due to its fragility.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's gonna get you a 1202 alarm.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My son received Lloyd's Journey for his birthday preparty.

I am absolutely blown away by the ice samurai. Those gorgeous armor pieces with clear ice crystals, it's amazing. Kid me would've killed for them.

Obviously my son finds the Golden Lloyd sword much more impressive. I can't blame him, gold weapons are awesome too. But they don't blow my adult and innerkid mind like those armor pieces.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

All finished.

So when can I buy one?

Metal Slug would be perfect for it's own line of sets, you could literally make a set for every boss and it would be amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

My son received Lloyd's Journey for his birthday preparty.

I am absolutely blown away by the ice samurai. Those gorgeous armor pieces with clear ice crystals, it's amazing. Kid me would've killed for them.

Obviously my son finds the Golden Lloyd sword much more impressive. I can't blame him, gold weapons are awesome too. But they don't blow my adult and innerkid mind like those armor pieces.

drat yeah that's the kind of set I'd have gone bonkers for as a kid. One of my favorite sets that I got right before I grew out of Lego was when they introduced the flip up visors on knight helmets and horse armor. There was a set that was just a cool black knight with a horse and a bunch of gear and I loved it. I grew out of Lego just as the seriously upped their minifig accessory game but I loved that stuff.

sigher posted:

So when can I buy one?

Metal Slug would be perfect for it's own line of sets, you could literally make a set for every boss and it would be amazing.

I was also thinking about what a good fit MS would be for a Lego theme too while I was building it. It's too bad it's not popular enough and probably way too violent for Lego. You could even make them click together to form a level. Maybe I'll just throw it up on ideas for fun but I don't see it getting anywhere.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 25, 2019

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, very much kidding, this is all amazing! I thought about buying a second Ecto when they were still available and doing a 1A conversion, but I never got around to it. Loving all the little extra details everywhere.

IDK what shipping across the ditch looks like, but I have a MISB Guybusters Ecto-1 if you're still thinking about this.

tuo posted:

It's one of the best sets I built in the last two years in regard to the result, but I am not so sure if I like the build itself. Maybe it's because I am mostly building technic stuff, but let me tell you: never drop the Saturn V, because there is no way to rebuild it without starting from page 1 (the inner structure which the different build steps connect to basically explodes, and you can't rebuild that without tearing the whole thing down).

Okay, okay, I shouldn't have dropped it, yeah, but the build is not very stable...I guess I'm too used to technic sets beeing basically indestructable!!! Still one of the best sets in regard to looks, price and joy to build I had in the past.
Commiserations. This happened to me, too. Thankfully I didn't have to go ALL the way to page 1 but maybe I should have:

Nth Doctor posted:

I finished the Saturn V last night. The build took evenings most of the week and I got chills as I watched it get taller and taller.
I sat there staring at it for a few minutes just in awe of this cool set.

Lucky me, I get to do it again.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

drat yeah that's the kind of set I'd have gone bonkers for as a kid. One of my favorite sets that I got right before I grew out of Lego was when they introduced the flip up visors on knight helmets and horse armor. There was a set that was just a cool black knight with a horse and a bunch of gear and I loved it. I grew out of Lego just as the seriously upped their minifig accessory game but I loved that stuff.

This one, right:

That's an awesome set. I had one as a kid and I've ended up with a bunch more from bulk lot purchases, I guess a lot of kids had them as it was a very cheap set!

quote:

I was also thinking about what a good fit MS would be for a Lego theme too while I was building it. It's too bad it's not popular enough and probably way too violent for Lego. You could even make them click together to form a level. Maybe I'll just throw it up on ideas for fun but I don't see it getting anywhere.

You know, I'm not sure how much Lego really cares about that anymore. Look at themes like Star Wars, Super Heroes and Overwatch - all pretty violent even if it is fantasy cartoon violence. Hell, even something like Stranger Things has it's share. I'll give Lego credit that they've never (and likely will never) do anything to do with realistic, modern military, but they have done WWI sets and Nazis (Indiana Jones) which is pretty close.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I wonder if it's become less notable now that so many minifigs have tons of accessories but yeah, when I was a kid I wanted entire sets just for a couple of the pieces if there was something particularly cool. Speaking of golden swords, the golden armor and sword that come in the 3 big Orient Expedition sets were easily my most treasured pieces as a kid, they were rad as all hell and I feel like them being unique was a bit more special back then too.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Hell, I still sometimes want sets just for one or two unique parts, but I'll only get them if the parts in the set as a whole are useful for me too.

That golden stuff was pretty cool. There was also a series of small Knights Kingdom sets from 2000 that had one piece of chromed silver gear each so you could collect them all and have a complete chrome silver outfit for a dude (helmet, armour, sword and shield). That was pretty awesome but I think it was a US only thing so I never got the chance to get it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Speaking of minifig armor, since coming back to Lego with the kids these last few years I've been blown away by the various Nexo Knights pieces. Big rear end shoulder pads with studs on them? Yes please!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Star Wars Lego nerds, there's new footage of Rise of Skywalker and it includes proper original B-Wings, which hopefully means we'll get a new version in the next wave of sets because I fuckin love a B-Wing and it's been a while

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It'd be nice to actually see some fleet battles in the next film. Like the Rebels/Resistance get their hands on an "old" Super Star Destroyer, so it's not like the New Zealand Civil Air Patrol vs. the USAF.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

That would be great but considering the resistance consisted of about 10 people and the millenium falcon at the end of TLJ maybe difficult to justify.

Although consistency between the films doesn't seem to be highest on the priority list so if that's what JJ wants then that's what we'll get. The new footage does also have a formidable looking fleet of OG Star Destroyers too, so maybe they'll have something big to fight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They kept talking about some fleet at the edge of the galaxy, maybe they have lots of ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't expect much. Abrams makes very pretty movies but he's pretty bad at depicting scale in his space based efforts. The movies might as well be based entirely in a single city given how fast people can move around.

The car chase star wars gave me a headache trying to make sense of it. I try really hard to shut off my logic brain and just enjoy the visuals but sometimes it's impossible.