Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
50k is just disposable income to some people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Wealthy people honestly don't waste their money, that is why they are wealthy.
the $1000 retro MMO backer tier of posts.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

It loads for me. Your internet browser of choice is broken.

Adblock was blocking their refund policy.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Byolante posted:

This doesn't square with the reality that's been exposed in the lootbox era.

I would say that the whales that spend loads of money they can't afford are the exception not the rule when compared to the overall population of a game

but I don't have any statistics to back that assertion up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

I don't really agree with this, though. Disposable income is just that -- disposable. I'm not robbing my budget to spend money speculating on what may end up as a bad game. I'll qualify that statement by saying even I was smart enough to not spend money on Shroud.

I was stupid enough to spend money on Shroud myself, but this was when Kickstarter was cutting edge and new. I thankfully was able to get all of my money back.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Kimsemus posted:

I would say that the whales that spend loads of money they can't afford are the exception not the rule when compared to the overall population of a game

but I don't have any statistics to back that assertion up.

This sort of game is more preying on depression than peer pressure that you see in say fortnite but in either case spending 1ks on something like this is not the workings of a rational adult mind.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I wait with bated breath to see if anyone will be attending Lord Garriott's $8000 Chunky Soup Super Supper this time around.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Beefeater posted:

I wait with bated breath to see if anyone will be attending Lord Garriott's $8000 Chunky Soup Super Supper this time around.

I will be there, wearing a wizards hat made out of tinfoil and styrofoam

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I saw some .. er, no, steam told me to go to twitch for some cool game givaways, and its a German guy playing SotA, he's doing the usual things of autoattacking spiders who molest him while he mines and cuts down tree's, all generic mmo stuff, but he had an awesome purple pimp cape with a bad attempt at cloth physics, I looked it up and its F2P now, so, Thanks to whoever gave LB their duckets, I have a green cape and am called Margeret Thatcher ingame, see you all there.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Hmm you probably won’t

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hmm you probably won’t

I see what you mean, game appears a little dead/second life style mishmash of whatever mood takes the "plot owners" fancy.
Also a robot taught me how to sword at things. how bizarre.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Why robots?

Because Lord British wanted all NPCs on schedules that would have them go home and go to sleep every "night".

Obviously having a tutorial NPC say "bite me I'm off duty, wait for me to come back" to progress is... less than ideal.

Thus we got him to agree to robot NPCs.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
(This "why"/"because" logic loop explains most things in this game, btw)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

Why robots?

Because Lord British wanted all NPCs on schedules that would have them go home and go to sleep every "night".

Obviously having a tutorial NPC say "bite me I'm off duty, wait for me to come back" to progress is... less than ideal.

Thus we got him to agree to robot NPCs.
please continue

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
You'd think the tutorial one would be a quick fix - just have two or three guards on rotation and every few hours have one show up, greet the other, and relieve them of duty. They could all even just be shacking out in the same building or chilling around a nearby campfire.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I'm in the middle of a move, and among all the stuff I'm keeping is a weird old relic of the past:

See, the last time Garriott hosed up an MMO, the first of multiple Ultima Online 2 attempts that failed, they decided to get all the cross-media stuff in order, and so with the books printing and preparing for release... they canceled the game, right before the first one came out. But they released them all anyway because an actual company run by adults was in charge of things contracts had been signed and god damnit, they were going to recoup something from this disaster. It was not the only such artifact - McFarlane Toys did an entire series of figures based on the game which came out a year later, including a steampunk Lord Blackthorn.

I told you that story to tell you this one and how I got to this thread: finding these novels reminded me that "oh, right, wasn't Hickman writing a trilogy based on this new MMO? Maybe I should see if those are dirt cheap." Then I learned today that they wrote one of them and Hickman stopped having a single thing to do with this project, vanishing into the ether and leaving Garriott to go "Why, we've been spitballing notes about book two just last week!" for years now.

I hope someone else gets a laugh out of this like I did, because good god, what a mess.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The Todd McFarlane stuff was actually repurposed for a UO1 expansion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online:_Lord_Blackthorn%27s_Revenge

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Yeah, they hired McFarlane to make a bunch of creatures for UO2. I remember it was a pretty big deal because he was still riding quite high in the comic book world due to how popular Spawn and Venom became. Then UO2 went poof, but they had to do something with it all, so they converted it to UO and tossed it in.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lord "Babyshaker 9000" Blackthorn really rocking those lobotomy scars there. I like.
As there's not a particularly large group of people to mess around with in SotA, I fired up No Man's Sky instead.

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 1, 2019

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I just wanted to share this Garriott:

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU3rO3yE6Tk

I'm the unseen person's commentary when he's demonstrating it.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Is it dead yet?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bob Socko posted:

Is it dead yet?

"yet"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Is it dead yet?

I honestly check this thread once a week at least to see if it is. It's crazy to me that it's still holding on.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

With SCAM closed I can’t find the source but someone posted something about some pretty nasty RP going on? I’m hoping I’m misremembering or it was rumors but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of what’s keeping people on the server.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

With SCAM closed I can’t find the source but someone posted something about some pretty nasty RP going on? I’m hoping I’m misremembering or it was rumors but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of what’s keeping people on the server.

You're not misremembering, I saw the screenshots proving its existence. The community is full of sexpests that are into rape fantasy.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Coming soon in the cash shop: sex and rape animations painstakingly dreamed up and animated by Lord British himself.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
bought fresh off the unity store, you mean

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Starr Long has his finger on the pulse of the classy SotA community.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I can't stop staring in horror at the figure on the top right. It's like one of her legs is on backwards.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Someone snap Barbie's leg back on, fast!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bieeanshee posted:

I can't stop staring in horror at the figure on the top right. It's like one of her legs is on backwards.

Just the word "Adultima" gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Maybe it's bad formatting.

Maybe it's supposed to be "Ad Ultima," meaning "at last" or "we're last" or something equally clever, like cross-promotional crap with Star Citizen.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
They repeat it as 'Adultima' at the bottom of the image. Just past the fire-breathing dragons. :(

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's the name of their in-game nightclub, which is where this "party" will take place.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bieeanshee posted:

They repeat it as 'Adultima' at the bottom of the image. Just past the fire-breathing dragons. :(

Yeah, I know.

It was as much of a charitable thought as I was willing to give them after all these years.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

This update combined with the gross role playing going on makes all of this feel less sad at the idea of lonely Ultima fans in their 40s+ giving thousands to borderline scammers (I’m being gracious) to keep their favorite series alive and more disgusting at the thought it’s become a place to hide and harbor grooming for abuse. I know SA is long past trolling MMOs to cause chaos but oof.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MassivelyOP: Players held a steamy Release 69 ‘dance party’ in Shroud of the Avatar

Chris Neal posted:

We assume most MMO players are at least aware of the more “adult” roleplaying that goes on in the quiet corners of our genre – it’s just a thing, humans are humans. So the fact that there appears to be a more adult-oriented celebratory slant on Shroud of the Avatar’s Release 69 launch is not too surprising. What may lift an eyebrow or two, however, is that the event was promoted in the game’s forums by executive producer Starr Long.

The event in question was held at the in-game nightclub Adultima this past weekend in-game in Ordinis Mortis and was hosted by Long on Avatars Radio in celebration of the thematically appropriate 69th release of SOTA. Replies to the promoting thread had gotten to two pages in length as people expressed surprise (and worse) before staff moderated the responses and locked the thread down.

This, of course, isn’t to insinuate that there was anything untoward happening at this dance party; several players pointed out the events themselves are usually tasteful and fun (and probably not nearly as “adult” as the advertising made it seem). We’ve been unable to hunt down any video from the event, but if you know of one, drop it in the comments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sexy dancing bear on the far right.