Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

You are not eligible as a Canadian. Sorry. I already checked.

oh look, call display is only seven bucks now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

FunOne posted:

How is the final Android Q beta as a daily driver? I've got that itch to try something new.

Public release will likely be on 21st August 2nd September (my estimate) so not much longer to go til the final release.

I'm getting itchy for A10 too but don't want to upgrade to a beta then final release. Once 10 drops I'll upgrade, backup, then reset to factory settings.

I wish I wanted to keep my P3 for another year but the UI stuttering and RAM management get to me. If 10 resolves them then cool but if not I need to jettison the handset come those sweet sweet Black Friday deals.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah it's clearly a typo. Why would the official support channel send me a phishing link?

For some reason, I thought the whole chat was AI, as is so popular with companies these days, and figured it pulled bad info from somewhere.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I saw that support was rolling out RCS on Telus and its sub-brands, so I checked to see if my phone was one of the early recipients and it was! For about two seconds. When I went back to take a screenshot of the new menu options, it had disappeared.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone sell old phones on Swappa? I put my old Pixel 2XL on there and someone bought it in 10 minutes which is kind of freaking me out. I did list it for about 15 bucks under the other listings of comparable storage and condition, but I didn't think someone would jump on it so quickly. Paypal says the funds are on hold until I update tracking information which I guess is normal. I don't sell a lot of things online. :blush:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've bought and sold on there. I trust it way more than eBay

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So my Moto Z is dying, with something that is apparently pretty common and completely unfixable, where it randomly turns itself off for having no power left, and each time you turn it back on it reports an entirely different battery percentage remaining. This annoys me because it's only 2.8 years old, and I was really into the moto mods concept, but the newly released Z4 is reportedly a pretty unsubstantial mid range device.

Is there a recommended phone out now? I had been tossing up between the P30 Pro and the S10+ which I can get as grey imports for $1199 dollarydoos (256gb p30, 128gb s10+) on Kogan, but my brother has recommended the OnePlus 7 Pro 256gb, which I can get on eBay for $957, and that ROG Phone 2 is $830 dollarydoos albeit with slower shipping from the US and the lack of proofing from exposure to the rain is worrying.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 25, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I would probably avoid Huawei for the forseeable future.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

NTRabbit posted:

Is there a recommended phone out now? I had been tossing up between the P30 Pro and the S10+ which I can get as grey imports for $1199 dollarydoos (256gb p30, 128gb s10+) on Kogan, but my brother has recommended the OnePlus 7 Pro 256gb, which I can get on eBay for $957, and that ROG Phone 2 is $830 dollarydoos albeit with slower shipping from the US and the lack of proofing from exposure to the rain is worrying.

People here have been pretty positive on the S10, I would imagine this extends to the 10+ as well. Don't get the Huawei for the baggage it comes with when there are similarly or better featured options available.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Not sure if this is the right thread - I'm considering purchasing an unlocked Pixel 3 to use on Sprint in the US for the next few months, but moving to Japan later this year. If I buy the unlocked version of the Pixel 3, should I be able to port it to a Japanese carrier if I want to? Would all of the LTE bands, etc. work correctly?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

NTRabbit posted:

So my Moto Z is dying, with something that is apparently pretty common and completely unfixable, where it randomly turns itself off for having no power left, and each time you turn it back on it reports an entirely different battery percentage remaining. This annoys me because it's only 2.8 years old, and I was really into the moto mods concept, but the newly released Z4 is reportedly a pretty unsubstantial mid range device.

Get a 3a/3aXL.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, I just found out about this F-Droid open-source storefront and the "NewPipe" app. NewPipe is YouTube except no ads, lets me select any resolution, displays HDR properly on Rog Phone 2, and lets me play audio in the background without having to pay for YouTube Red or YT Music. On top of all that it blocks YouTube from tracking or recommending anything.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Zero VGS posted:

Wow, I just found out about this F-Droid open-source storefront and the "NewPipe" app. NewPipe is YouTube except no ads, lets me select any resolution, displays HDR properly on Rog Phone 2, and lets me play audio in the background without having to pay for YouTube Red or YT Music. On top of all that it blocks YouTube from tracking or recommending anything.

It's a great app. Wish it did subscriptions properly though

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Get a 3a/3aXL.

Any particular reason? The Pixel 3aXL is $799 dollarydoos, so it's not exactly cheap

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 26, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are any of the Android TV externals decent and low-cost for a good easy 1080p experience? My parents have a Sony that's a whole five years old so none of the apps work anymore and despite a year of trying they can't wrap their heads around Chromecast.

I live in Australia so there usual basic streaming devices of Fire Stick and Roku have none of the local channel apps, so those options are out. (well, Roku apps exist, but locked down to rebranded Roku boxes supplied by our local rear end in a top hat super-telco)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 26, 2019

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Zero VGS posted:

That sounds a lot like YouTube Vanced. Is that the same project under a different name?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Popelmon posted:

That sounds a lot like YouTube Vanced. Is that the same project under a different name?
No, it's completely different and is not a hacked version of the official YouTube app.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NTRabbit posted:

Any particular reason? The Pixel 3aXL is $799 dollarydoos, so it's not exactly cheap

It really depends on how much you care about photo quality. OnePlus sucks, Samsung is okay, Pixels are amazing. Other than that it's aesthetics, which is unfortunately the inverse order.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It really depends on how much you care about photo quality. OnePlus sucks, Samsung is okay, Pixels are amazing. Other than that it's aesthetics, which is unfortunately the inverse order.

I thought the OnePlus 6T was supposed to have a pretty decent camera :confused:

edit: and I've been extremely happy with the camera on my Note 9

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Every flagship from the last few years takes some really good photos. It wasn't until like last year that we finally started getting cameras that do really well in darker shots.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cage-free egghead posted:

Every flagship from the last few years takes some really good photos. It wasn't until like last year that we finally started getting cameras that do really well in darker shots.

For example

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Oneplus 7 pro has a better camera than the P3(a). Outside of night sight anyway (which you can run with the google cam APK on any modern phone).

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Are any of the Android TV externals decent and low-cost for a good easy 1080p experience? My parents have a Sony that's a whole five years old so none of the apps work anymore and despite a year of trying they can't wrap their heads around Chromecast.

I live in Australia so there usual basic streaming devices of Fire Stick and Roku have none of the local channel apps, so those options are out. (well, Roku apps exist, but locked down to rebranded Roku boxes supplied by our local rear end in a top hat super-telco)

Standard recommendation is the Nvidia Shield TV, it's not the cheapest but almost all of the other boxes are either too weak and/or do not get patched by the manufacturer.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

OnePlus 6T is decent with stock camera, OnePlus 7 is better. But just put GCam on a 6T and you're good to go!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

This really isn't true any more.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

OnePlus as a company still sucks but they've upped their phone game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

This really isn't true any more.

Oneplus is a repulsive awful company that I would never give money to. I'm sure their phones, standing on their own, are just fine.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's 2019 and they're Good now, grandpa

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FistEnergy posted:

It's 2019 and they're Good now, grandpa

Because it's been a whole 2 years since their last completely tone deaf exploitation of their customers, a bug that rebooted phones if you called 911, installed displays upside down, shipped Chinese backdoor clipboard software, and loss of 40k credit card numbers? Man, you've got a short memory. They're a lovely company who makes (now) good phones. I'm ignoring the hardware issues that every company has.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Actually I think you'll find that all phones suck and have transformed (like all technology) from useful tools aimed at bettering our life, to horrible nightmare boxes that exist only to advertise to us, to normalize the horrors of life by interspersing actionable news with cat pictures/pop culture references, and to steal our attention with UI designs developed by psychologists to maximize engagement statistics.

I had hoped KaiOS would help with this somewhat, but it's ad riddled and many of the actually useful phone features (camera and streaming music come to mind specifically) are terrible or non-existent.

If you would like to discuss this further PM me. This has been occupying my thoughts a lot lately.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MikeJF posted:

+1 on the Shield TV. Still fantastic performance and all the apps needed for pretty much any/all of the streaming services. It even just got updated to Android Pie which is what, 4 major OS versions from when it was first launched? Pretty great support by Nvidia.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Because it's been a whole 2 years since their last completely tone deaf exploitation of their customers, a bug that rebooted phones if you called 911, installed displays upside down, shipped Chinese backdoor clipboard software, and loss of 40k credit card numbers? Man, you've got a short memory. They're a lovely company who makes (now) good phones. I'm ignoring the hardware issues that every company has.
Well just this year, they also refuse to pay for IP-certification but still claim their phones would pass it if they did, as they tested the phones themselves "in a bucket".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'll look at the shield, but it's a bit more than what I was hoping. I was hoping there was something nice and basic and simple out there for non-4K use. Guess not.

EdEddnEddy posted:

+1 on the Shield TV. Still fantastic performance and all the apps needed for pretty much any/all of the streaming services. It even just got updated to Android Pie which is what, 4 major OS versions from when it was first launched? Pretty great support by Nvidia.

Nvidia was updating the shield tablet for like three and a bit years, even after they dropped the product line. My guess is it's partly because of their product area - graphics card manufacturers are expected to be pushing drivers for any given card across all platforms for like a decade and NVidia just has long support and update lifespans as standard operating procedure, whereas phone manufacturers before smartphones were in the 'ship it and forget it' mindset and it's taken a lot to wrench them around (when they even have)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 26, 2019

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

2 years is a long time in this industry. Look at what happened to Motorola in 2 years.

You buy the best bang for your buck at the time of purchase and hope for the best. Right now that's OnePlus and the Pixel 3a.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I'll look at the shield, but it's a bit more than what I was hoping. I was hoping there was something nice and basic and simple out there for non-4K use. Guess not.

Nvidia was updating the shield tablet for like three and a bit years, even after they dropped the product line. My guess is it's partly because of their product area - graphics card manufacturers are expected to be pushing drivers for any given card across all platforms for like a decade and NVidia just has long support and update lifespans as standard operating procedure, whereas phone manufacturers before smartphones were in the 'ship it and forget it' mindset and it's taken a lot to wrench them around (when they even have)

If you can, wait until this weekend as there is a holiday here in the States so there may be a sale or two on the Shield TV, or if you can wait until the Christmas season they usually go on sale or throw in an extra remote, smart home doohickey, etc.

And yea Nvidia actually did release a final ok update for the Shield Portable, the Shield Tablet got left on a rather good update as well, and the Shield TV still sells well enough, and has no real competition that I don't see them dropping support for it as it has sort of become a central Smart Home/Entertainment Center device that doesn't need new hardware to continue to be great even with 4K. Maybe if 8K becomes a thing they will replace it, but for now, if they can continue to Milk the market with the same now rather old hardware, it would be stupid to stop. Smart TV's are nowhere near as capable still and support for them alone is a complete dice roll as well.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Zero VGS posted:

After a whole day of using it, 3 hours of calls and 3 hours of screen on time I ended up at 60% battery. The calls ate up the most by far; wonder if VoIP calls use less energy.

I can't believe it's $510 even in China, maybe because this model has the "Tencent Games" branding on the back and has some Tencent apps, they are subsidizing it? I'll be astonished if it comes to the US for anywhere near this price, just because us yanks are too dumb to know any better.

For me this is the closest to perfection I've ever had in a phone. But it still isn't for everyone, I showed it to a friend and he said "the two things I care about are wireless charging and IP waterproof rating" which are like the only two features this phone didn't include. Come to think of it, it has two USB-C charging ports so you could maybe use once of them to permanently hardwire a charging pad in between the phone and the back of the case...

edit: yeah you could install one of these and still have the second USB charge port freed up: https://www.amazon.com/Nillkin-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-Charger/dp/B01M11UT3V

How's the camera?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Wax Dynasty posted:

How's the camera?

I only take pictures of like, receipts and stuff, and it gets all of those as clearly as you'd expect from any modern camera.

This dude does an in-depth camera review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAv0uXpP0Aw

At the moment though I'm still experiencing some glitchiness with the China import version, namely:

1) Some of the Google services I sideloaded are wonky, for example I can't use navigation from the launcher while on data (i.e. "navigate to blah blah), but it works directly in the Google Maps app, or from the launcher when on wifi.

2) T-Mobile seems to change from "LTE" to "H+" when I'm in a phone call and when I run Google speed tests I consistently get 0.33mbps upload when I'm on a phone call and 3mbps upload when I'm out of a phone call. Download stays the same. Apparently it has to do with not supporting T-Mobile VoLTE or something.

3) The thing has two SIM slots, but when I punch in the IMEI for SIM Slot 2 into my corporate Verizon account, it says it isn't a valid IMEI and won't let me add service. I'm gonna try calling them.

Some of this stuff might be alleviated by flashing the worldwide rom, or waiting for the USA release of the phone. I'm seeing if I can get it all worked out on the stock OS though. It's still less fucky than the Cyanogen stuff I put up with a few years back.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't normally care what my black rectangle looks like but holy poo poo is that an ugly phone

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Skarsnik posted:

I don't normally care what my black rectangle looks like but holy poo poo is that an ugly phone

GAMING PHONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Skarsnik posted:

Sorry you're not x-treme enough to have a phone that matches your GPU.

For real though, you could just grab a case like this one to cover up the back, maybe add a small strip of gaffer tape on the RGB logo and you're good to go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Asus-ROG-Phone-2-ZS660KL-Luxury-Hybrid-Soft-Bumper-Canvas-Leather-Case-Cover/ Market demand will probably produce a case without the cutouts so the RGB and vent are hidden.

Also for maximum lol, this phone actually has a feature to synchronize the RGB lightning with other Asus Rog Phone 2's on the same wifi. I assume that's for like, gaming convention lan parties. Talk about an edge case.