Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

Didn't realize you bailed on NAWDC.

Yeah, got an offer last year for a gig at Nellis. I get to talk to airplanes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Godholio posted:

Yeah, got an offer last year for a gig at Nellis. I get to talk to airplanes again.

I'd take Nellis over Fallon any day even if I did have to work with a bunch of zoomies. Is it a contractor gig?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought the big deal with bees was advancing anyways.

12+ year E-5s intending to go to 20 are an extremely common thing around these parts

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

12+ year E-5s intending to go to 20 are an extremely common thing around these parts

lol that's amazing.

I mean as long as they are competent but that's the rub isnt it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I'd take Nellis over Fallon any day even if I did have to work with a bunch of zoomies. Is it a contractor gig?

It is. We've got an E-2 NFO here as well, so I still get to talk "navy" at work once in a while.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

You doing that contractor controller gig at nellis? I heard about it last year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

You doing that contractor controller gig at nellis? I heard about it last year.

Yep. Word's getting out and I think this might catch on. Tinker's even looking at contract instructors at the FTU.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Crossposting from the airpower thread (where I think it was crossposted from the China thread):

Please accompany me at once to Chinese naval port so I can retrieve my equipment from your deck

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Does any nation have OODs that don't crash into each other?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Does any nation have OODs that don't crash into each other?

Liechtenstein?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NZ

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Someone keeps breaking all their ships.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I've heard good things about Mongolia's navy.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

The Valley Stared posted:

I've heard good things about Mongolia's navy.

Like the time they lost their whole fleet to a typhoon and gave Japan a new slogan?

Also 2019 cruise trip report: cancel all ports and extend because China, oh wait they're gone already. Still extended.

CMD598 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 21, 2019

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I found some sweet tours to go on but evidently no one else wants to go on tours so they're all cancelled. Everything closes at like 1 PM because August is the European holiday month.

Disappointing.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
It is surprisingly difficult to properly dispose of a broken flat screen tv in Great Lakes. The base housing bulk pickup company wont take it. Best Buy wont take a TV this big. Theres an instruction against using base dumpsters for personal trash, though I dont know how rigidly its enforced but I'm not super eager to chance it.

Any suggestions? I'm getting close to a Walmart Dumpster Night-Op.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

It is surprisingly difficult to properly dispose of a broken flat screen tv in Great Lakes. The base housing bulk pickup company wont take it. Best Buy wont take a TV this big. Theres an instruction against using base dumpsters for personal trash, though I dont know how rigidly its enforced but I'm not super eager to chance it.

Most dumps have an electronics disposal program, even if you might have to pay a few bucks to take advantage of it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Wtf lol best buy wont take TVs larger than 50 inches. The gently caress am I supposed to do with my broken 65 sitting in my garage fuuuuuuuucccckkkkk

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Personally, I think you should disassemble it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Wtf lol best buy wont take TVs larger than 50 inches. The gently caress am I supposed to do with my broken 65 sitting in my garage fuuuuuuuucccckkkkk

Chop off 15 inches

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

http://www.cmrecycle.com/e-recycle/

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's what I did the first time the power supply board took a poo poo, got us another 6 months out of it, but the second time we just said gently caress it.

Thanks, I'll check this out!

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Give it to some new recruit and insist that it totally works. Nature will take it's course.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Not a terrible idea but then again I'm a scavenger. When work throws out monitors I strip them for screws, standoffs, sheet metal, and the occasional PCB-mounted item that could be re-used.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

There's probably a solid work related time to get that done

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Sorry for posting week old news, but this just came to my attention.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/08/20/navy-fires-2nd-japan-based-leader-day-destroyer-xo-canned.html

As the article says, the McCambell XO was the XO for the Fitz before she left Japan. He was fantastic to work with and seemed to care a lot for those of us that remained. Hell, when I voiced my hesitation about going to Yokota to see Trump, he understood and didn't blame me for not wanting to go (supposedly Trump was going to meet with Fitz and McCain sailors, but that never happened). In several cases, he helped pushed paper work through so that sailors could actually leave when they were supposed to. I don't know details as to what happened with him, but I was taken aback to see his name come up in this context.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My guess is he was banging a sailor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

When is the DoD going to learn that orders to gently caress the enlisted should emphasize that they don't mean literal loving?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr. Nice! posted:

RHIP.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Skipper pissed the boat behind us is taking too long to untie, puts the props to half ahead while hanging out the window cursing at them

Definition of zero fucks given

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Skipper pissed the boat behind us is taking too long to untie, puts the props to half ahead while hanging out the window cursing at them

Sortie-ing out of Mayport? Lol I've heard it was a cluster gently caress of epic levels in the harbor today.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

lol jfc

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Aint no drama like XO drama.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Thronde posted:

Sortie-ing out of Mayport? Lol I've heard it was a cluster gently caress of epic levels in the harbor today.

gently caress that place sooooo much.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
BLUF: let me try this intro posting thing to not evoke unabashed shitlordism
SUBJ: Hi
REF: a. escaped many generations of poverty
b. grew up in a falling apart trailer
c. by statistically unlikely events i am alive today
d. by additional statistically unlikely events i got a scholarship
e. by even more statistically unlikely events my poor rear end got selected for some fancy nerd degrees at a fancy nerd school because i convinced enough people that i want to use my nerd skills to better the fleet and the nation.
AMPN: a. diagnosed with ptsd for things that aren’t public record
b. diagnosed with anxiety disorder
c. diagnosed with depression
d. diagnosed with gender dysphoria
e. diagnosed with suicidal tendencies
BODY: hi so i would like to formally express that maybe some of our sailors might need to be able to relate to people who have dealt with comparable circumstances.
ACTN: a. hit me up if you or your sailors have dealt with comparable diagnoses
b. especially hit me up if you or your sailors have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria because technically my waiver package is the first and so my career is on the chopping block.
ADTL: a. please don’t make this cathartic statement into some sort of pissing contest about lives saved, ships saved or $s saved. Not worth skirting the limits of unclass info for posturing and unfortunately i have more than enough data to come out on top.
b. not really in the mood to deal with trollistic “fight me” rhetoric or similar “gently caress nobles” statements all things considered.
R/
Me

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

b. especially hit me up if you or your sailors have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria because technically my waiver package is the first and so my career is on the chopping block.

R/
Me

Best of luck. It can't be easy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know what helped me a ton with PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression? Weed. Pull your waiver package while you can and take whatever medical separation and benefits they’ll give you. I can promise you that walking the path of being Trans in the military will be loving awful in every possible way. With a medical sep you might get a retirement and keep TRICARE and a pension. Plus then: Weed. Klonopin and Zoloft ain’t got poo poo on weed. Neither do breathing exercises or Yoga.

poo poo just works.

Not sure if it would make going through gender dysphoria any easier, but I gotta imagine it’d probably help that situation for you to- whatever help you may need, not that I’m trying to imply that your in need of any help re: Your gender.

So make it easy on us so we can be easy on you: How do you identify and what are your preferred pronouns?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

We might be a group of assholes but the only person we all truly hate is Buttplug. I'm sure there's a lot of people that are available to talk about whatever as necessary in our hosed up Navy crew here, PM me if you want and I can get you reliable comms to myself, always available around work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You know what helped me a ton with PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression? Weed. Pull your waiver package while you can and take whatever medical separation and benefits they’ll give you. I can promise you that walking the path of being Trans in the military will be loving awful in every possible way. With a medical sep you might get a retirement and keep TRICARE and a pension. Plus then: Weed. Klonopin and Zoloft ain’t got poo poo on weed. Neither do breathing exercises or Yoga.

poo poo just works.

Not sure if it would make going through gender dysphoria any easier, but I gotta imagine it’d probably help that situation for you to- whatever help you may need, not that I’m trying to imply that your in need of any help re: Your gender.

So make it easy on us so we can be easy on you: How do you identify and what are your preferred pronouns?

Omfg I <3 so much of this sentiment. Alas my rule-follower mentality means I can’t currently partake of anything that hasn’t been prescribed.

Basically my situation is that under current policy I could have either chosen to pretend nothing happened wrt to gender dysphoria or submit paperwork for the waiver package. So basically I am submitting an ultimatum to the ASN with my waiver package. Either he acknowledges my case and opens up the floodgates for any other sailors or he denies my package and helps further ACLU lawsuits for wrongful termination and breach of contract. But either way technically my sep would be classified as non-medical and wouldn’t qualify for retirement (because of stupid current policy).

So def don’t wanna withdraw the package until it’s fully judicated because otherwise not worth even doing it at all.

But also idc about pronouns at this moment. Current policy says I present as male, but also thanks for mentioning it.