Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aliens is on Viceland right now.

It's still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Is it worth getting an Audible account for this?

So yeah, got an Audible account. I've been listening to the audioplay to and from work. I'm enjoying it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's still good.

My wife and I were watching TV earlier, I noticed this, and she flipped right past it.

does anyone know a good divorce lawyer

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Code Jockey posted:

My wife and I were watching TV earlier, I noticed this, and she flipped right past it.

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?"

Fixed.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Code Jockey posted:

Lol

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

:discourse:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

Despite my wife and her younger brother both being too young for a reasonable parent to allow to watch Aliens in the late 80's, their parents let them watch it over and over and over again and it is both their favorite movie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

davebo posted:

Despite my wife and her younger brother both being too young for a reasonable parent to allow to watch Aliens in the late 80's, their parents let them watch it over and over and over again and it is both their favorite movie.

Is there an opposite of :sever:?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

:siren: my girlfriend :siren: got me this rad tshirt for our one year dating anniversary

Wow one year and she's already hinting that she wants to lay eggs in your stomach and have kids.

Sever.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is there an opposite of :sever:?

Well we already had a kid this year. I think I'm gonna have to start him off on softer sci-fi like Star Wars where people tend to just lose limbs with magic swords. Aliens is pretty intense. Shouldn't I wait until a kid is like 8 years old to watch something like that?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I saw Aliens at age 8 or so and had nightmares about face huggers for months.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I watched Aliens way too young and for years I had the terrifying mental image of a severed dolls head floating to the top of some dirty water and no idea where it came from until I was like 13 and saw it again

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lmao I am sincerely mad at myself I didn't think of this

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

purple death ray posted:

I watched Aliens way too young and for years I had the terrifying mental image of a severed dolls head floating to the top of some dirty water and no idea where it came from until I was like 13 and saw it again

I saw ‘Alien’ when I was 9 and it obviously had no impact on me whatsoever. :shepface:

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

Xenomrph posted:

I saw ‘Alien’ when I was 9 and it obviously had no impact on me whatsoever. :shepface:

Same, but Aliens. Then my cousin let me watch Predator 2 months later. :shepface:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My dad let me watch anything with him, I was an alien/aliens fan by 5.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

GOD drat IT THAT'S NOT ALL! BECAUSE IF ONE OF THOSE THINGS GETS DOWN HERE THEN THAT WILL BE ALL, THEN ALL THIS, THIS BULLSHIT THAT YOU THINK IS SO IMPORTANT... YOU CAN JUST KISS ALL OF THAT GOODBYE!!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

GOD drat IT THAT'S NOT ALL! BECAUSE IF ONE OF THOSE THINGS GETS DOWN HERE THEN THAT WILL BE ALL, THEN ALL THIS, THIS BULLSHIT THAT YOU THINK IS SO IMPORTANT... YOU CAN JUST KISS ALL OF THAT GOODBYE!!

I can't remember if I shared this observation but my favorite bit about that shot is the hand desperately reaching into the frame to retrieve their Important Papers. Awesome choice by that extra.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

I can't remember if I shared this observation but my favorite bit about that shot is the hand desperately reaching into the frame to retrieve their Important Papers. Awesome choice by that extra.

That is a beautiful observation:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Owlbear Camus posted:

I love watching the whole inquest scene dubbed in Spanish. Instead of "bullshit" that you can "kiss goodbye" she specifically refers to the "papers" and then says something that goes by WAY too fast for me to translate but seems to suggest they can wipe their asses with it in the bathroom. It's hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb2LX01k-fQ&t=374s

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Hello Alien thread, life-long horror / sci fi fan checking in.

My Dad is a big sci fi / action movie nerd, so of course, I ended up seeing Predator and Aliens when I was but a wee lad. I still remember him taking me to see Alien 3 in the theatre when I was 9.
He asked for 2 tickets, and the teen working at the ticket counter looks down at me, and then says to my Dad "Sir, you know this is an R-rated movie, right?"
Dad just gives him an eye-roll, and says "Yes, I'm aware. I'll buy him an adult ticket, if it makes any difference."
Thanks Dad, you rock.

I bought Alien: Isolation a few years ago, and played a bit, but then it got shelved after I got into playing other games. I finally sat down to play it all the way through, and boy howdy, is this thing goddamn tense. I've been into the survival horror genre since playing the old Silent Hill / Resident Evil PS1 games, but this baby really takes it to the next level. Here's an incident I related in another thread:

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've been sitting on the couch in the dark, playing with headphones on. I was hiding in a locker, trying to make myself small and invisible, while the alien paced around the room looking for me. The alien stopped, and looked directly at my hiding spot, and that's the moment when my dog (who had been sleeping beside me for the past hour) decided it would be a perfect time to lean over and stick his cold nose on the back of my arm.
I nearly backhanded him across the room. I don't think my nerves can take this game ha.

Any way, I'm on Chapter 5 I think? Loving the game so far, and the look of the game nails the original Alien movie perfectly.

Unrelated Terminator 2 racism:

Remember the scene during the stand-off at the Cyberdyne Labs, where the SWAT team is entering the lobby? The T-800 (who had just fired at the cops, and blown up several cars) walks towards the SWAT team. The SWAT officer gives him several chances to stop and lay down before they open fire. Later, when the cops are clearing the building upstairs, they run into Miles Dyson. As Dyson tries to run away, with no visible weapons on him, the cops shoot him in the back without any warning or orders to stop. Cops are gonna be cops I guess?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
they were breaching an entrance when they shot miles. the terminator was walking toward them slowly in the open after they had already shot tear gas as a suppression measure

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Alien is Grandma’s Hands

Aliens is No Diggity

Different, but the same DNA, and both great in their own ways

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I love watching the whole inquest scene dubbed in Spanish. Instead of "bullshit" that you can "kiss goodbye" she specifically refers to the "papers" and then says something that goes by WAY too fast for me to translate but seems to suggest they can wipe their asses with it in the bathroom. It's hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb2LX01k-fQ&t=374s

I'm afraid it just says "then all these papers you consider so important won't be any use fixing the damage" which isn't a great localisation but spanish dubs generally erred on the side of blandness back in the day

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Pochoclo posted:

I'm afraid it just says "then all these papers you consider so important won't be any use fixing the damage" which isn't a great localisation but spanish dubs generally erred on the side of blandness back in the day

The only thing I can even remotely make out after "papers you consider so important" is the last two syllables sound just like "baño" so I choose to continue living in blissful ignorance :colbert:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Remember the scene during the stand-off at the Cyberdyne Labs, where the SWAT team is entering the lobby? The T-800 (who had just fired at the cops, and blown up several cars) walks towards the SWAT team. The SWAT officer gives him several chances to stop and lay down before they open fire. Later, when the cops are clearing the building upstairs, they run into Miles Dyson. As Dyson tries to run away, with no visible weapons on him, the cops shoot him in the back without any warning or orders to stop. Cops are gonna be cops I guess?

I've always assumed this was intentional on Cameron's part.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Zombie Guy posted:

Cops are gonna be cops I guess?

lol

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

gently caress. Nevermind, I was just having some fun deconstructing a scene from a movie. Christ.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 28, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shut up bootlicker

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
what in the jesus christ it's just a movie from the early 90s

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That SWAT guy would eventually work in the Albuquerque DEA branch chasing a meth kingpin that would eventually be revealed to be his brother-in-law.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Shut up bootlicker

Lol. Should have seen that coming.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

That SWAT guy would eventually work in the Albuquerque DEA branch chasing a meth kingpin that would eventually be revealed to be his brother-in-law.

Starring Jean Claude Van Damme as them both.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:goonsay:

I'm going to paint my AvP minis with contrast paints this weekend. Will show and tell results.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Greggster posted:

Starring Jean Claude Van Damme as them both.

He’s making a Breaking Bad joke, because the SWAT guy was played by Dean Norris.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
wait where's a bootlicker?

Guys it's Judgment Day tomorrow. A friend is coming over at midnight to watch T2. She's never seen it before. :3

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wouldn't that be the day after tomorrow?

:smuggo:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

It's still good.

DVRd this, just watched it for the first time in years, and it was Good

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wouldn't that be the day after tomorrow?

:smuggo:

What, did the new movie gently caress with the canon again?

There are only two Terminator films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

purple death ray posted:

Lol I bugged my mom about how unfair it was that she got to stay up late and watch movies and ended up arguing myself into a three night Alien/Aliens/Alien 3 marathon. I had recurring nightmares for about three years