Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's a funny tweet but I don't think that's a $10,000 ship...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FUdsters you won’t believe this but they made No Man’s Sky good and it’s an actually functioning Star Citizen now

-took off from a planet into space, no load screen
-a giant sphere appears out of nowhere, I land in it, it’s a massive multiplayer hub area with a bunch of different players who all look different that you can interact with + vendors that don’t charge a P2W currency
-I landed in a giant capital ship and bought it out from the owner and it turns out - you can build out the interior with whatever rooms and layout you want with plenty of decorations, like fish tanks and a terrarium
-you can buy other frigates to add to your fleet and send them off on expeditions
-you can build vehicles to travel over ground and underwater
-you can build bases both over land and underwater that grow plants, mining, etc.
-you can meet up with other players in the world and go on adventures together

Chris Roberts is doomed!

Edit: OH and all of this works flawlessly in VR on my Oculus Rift S

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inacio posted:

i'm the lady in yellow on the right

I feel like I could walk in there and everybody would cross to the other side of the street.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's a funny tweet but I don't think that's a $10,000 ship...?

You are correct.

This is the ship that you get a picture of, for 10,000 dollars

(That is not a joke)

(Well I mean it is, but it also exists and is the reward for the 10,000 dollar superwhale package)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

FUdsters you won’t believe this but they made No Man’s Sky good and it’s an actually functioning Star Citizen now

-took off from a planet into space, no load screen
-a giant sphere appears out of nowhere, I land in it, it’s a massive multiplayer hub area with a bunch of different players who all look different that you can interact with + vendors that don’t charge a P2W currency
-I landed in a giant capital ship and bought it out from the owner and it turns out - you can build out the interior with whatever rooms and layout you want with plenty of decorations, like fish tanks and a terrarium
-you can buy other frigates to add to your fleet and send them off on expeditions
-you can build vehicles to travel over ground and underwater
-you can build bases both over land and underwater that grow plants, mining, etc.
-you can meet up with other players in the world and go on adventures together

Chris Roberts is doomed!

Edit: OH and all of this works flawlessly in VR on my Oculus Rift S

But can you have another player mop the floor of your ship?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sabreseven posted:

I adjusted the image slightly for clarity. :)

Thank you kind sir. Perfect in my vision.

edit: But now we have a conundrum.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 26, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

THIS WAS ALMOST 4 YEARS AGO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

WHAT THE CHRIS ROBERTS!

THE CHRIS IS NOT A JOKE!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thank you kind sir. Perfect in my vision.

edit: But now we have a conundrum.

:D

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Perfect. That is when development really started.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Huh, seems all the press articles these days are mostly a negative slant, if they write at all.
I’m not calling that bad for CIG, since that was a lot of last year too and they are still stumbling along just fine.

But at some point don’t searches about the company or game only turn up negative press?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Tsar Mikey posted:

If you want a vision of Star Citizen under Chris Roberts, imagine a boot paw stamping on a human face--forever.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

PC Gamer: This new mine-laying Star Citizen spaceship costs $675, and you can't have it

Ian Boudreau posted:

The thing about writing anything about Star Citizen on the internet is that it always makes everyone extremely mad. So here we go: Star Citizen developer Roberts Space Industries has a new exclusive ship out for select backers. It lays mines and has a serial number and it costs $675.

It's called the Aegis Nautilus Solstice Limited Edition, and the most distinguishing feature of this ship (other than its sleek black-and-gold trimmed hull) is that you're not allowed to have it. It was made available exclusively to attendees of a special VIP dinner event RSI held in Frankfort Saturday.

Tickets to that event, according to this Resetera thread, cost $274.73, and the thing about the tickets was that you probably weren't allowed to have those, either. The event was restricted to Star Citizen backers at the Concierge level, which means players who have spent a minimum of $1,000 on the game.

The ship isn't in the game yet. Which is just as well, because—as Resetera commenters have pointed out—mines and minelaying have yet to be added to Star Citizen. Also it takes more than one person to crew, and multicrew ship mechanics aren't in the game yet.

$1,949.73 is quite a lot of money to spend on a single game, even if you're getting "lifetime insurance" on the digital spaceship you're buying. But far be it from me to yuck anyone's yum, and absent any evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume that the VIP dinner in Frankfort was lovely. A recent update added local laws and law enforcement to Star Citizen, which means it's now a somewhat more civilised universe to explore with the fancy new ship you picked up in Germany. Or didn't, as is probably the case.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 26, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Drunk Theory posted:

Huh, seems all the press articles these days are mostly a negative slant, if they write at all.
I’m not calling that bad for CIG, since that was a lot of last year too and they are still stumbling along just fine.

But at some point don’t searches about the company or game only turn up negative press?

I think that what's happening here is that CIG did their presser blitz this morning, or yesterday, and all the lazy game writers who would normally just republish it verbatim have been burned by Star Citizen articles so many times that they bothered to do a cursory google search, which will turn up the big subreddit drama threads. Hence all their complaints sounding suspiciously like they were sourced directly from those threads.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

God drat Citizens are angry:

A Citizen posted:

NO, A LINE NEEDS TO BE DRAWN.

You charge us for literally every aspect of the game, you find new ways to nickel and dime players worse than any other publisher / developer. You're despicable and have for the last 7 years found new excuses to release new sales of concept ships under the justification to 'continue the funding of the game' but have historically failed to deliver on older pledges and promises that you've sold. You have a backlog of existing ships that you've sold, a dream to players of flying around the stars. You've continued to pile on MORE ships to this growing pile with the expectation that you will continue to gain more revenue. You don't deserve anyone's sympathy, anyones loyalty and especially anyones trust as you've at every point squandered the good will you've built this game around.

It's always another 'concept sale' or 'new promotion' to drive people to grab a credit card to buy the new garbage.

What happened to the Crucible, Merchantman, Polaris, Apollo, Hull A, Hull B, Hull D, Hull E, Redeemer, Endeavor, Hercules Starlifter, Prowler, Orion, Genesis, Pioneer, SRV, 100 Series, X1, Ranger, Idris-M, Idris-P, Kraken, Javelin, Mercury, San'tok.yāi, Corsair, Vulcan and every other ship that you've sold a concept for with not a single word on when they will eventually arrive.

Crazy idea, how about you put a stop to this concept sale garbage and start completing ships you've already sold before selling us some new kooky idea of some gameplay mechanics that a marketing puppet came up with on the toilet. You owe us a guarantee on when a ship should be completed. A timeframe IE 2 years or 5 years from concept. You can't just keep dropping new ships and ignoring the older pledges because you want our money now. Eventually, critical mass is going to take over and people are going to get angry. Some of the ships I've listed above have been bought by players YEARS ago and have been dead silent on progress.

Has good will just become another concept to you?

Condescending Letter From The Chairman in 3, 2...

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 26, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

I think that what's happening here is that CIG did their presser blitz this morning, or yesterday, and all the lazy game writers who would normally just republish it verbatim have been burned by Star Citizen articles so many times that they bothered to do a cursory google search, which will turn up the big subreddit drama threads. Hence all their complaints sounding suspiciously like they were sourced directly from those threads.

If the games press was really doing their jobs they wouldn't cover Star Citizen at all. I'm not going to find knitting instructions in American Angler magazine.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Don't know if you guys saw it, but there was a thread on that dinner posted on resetera and SC defenders are getting eviscerated there:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ye...75-ship.137162/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

If the games press was really doing their jobs they wouldn't cover Star Citizen at all. I'm not going to find knitting instructions in American Angler magazine.

90% of games journalism is just republishing poo poo that game publishers send to you

the other 10% is getting fired

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Hence all their complaints sounding suspiciously like they were sourced directly from those threads.

Just about article I've read links to the same Resetera thread that they all seem to be sourcing from, so they're not trying to hide it.

But yeah. I can't remember the last time I saw a bunch of news sites just repeat CIG's press releases like they do for other companies. No one outside the bubble cares about Star Citizen anymore besides its potential for mockery. All these sites have seen Diakatana and DNF and they're not buying it again.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't know if you guys saw it, but there was a thread on that dinner posted on resetera and SC defenders are getting eviscerated there:

Allowing people to sell poo poo on the internet was a terrible mistake.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
good job beet, you're even famous in sweden now

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just about article I've read links to the same Resetera thread that they all seem to be sourcing from, so they're not trying to hide it.

But yeah. I can't remember the last time I saw a bunch of news sites just repeat CIG's press releases like they do for other companies. No one outside the bubble cares about Star Citizen anymore besides its potential for mockery. All these sites have seen Diakatana and DNF and they're not buying it again.

I've thought of the Daikatana and DNF comparisons before, and they are apt comparisons, but there's also something missing. In Daikatana's case, there was a lot of rockstar ego going on, bad communication, it's all out there to research. However, John Romero did know how to make a game, just not a good one. The developers there knew what they were doing. Of course it wasn't good but it more or less functioned as intended. Except maybe the AI. DNF was just in a ridiculous development hell, there was nothing really stopping it except they were the opposite of CIG - every time they had a new idea, they threw out everything they had and started over. Eventually it just languished for years (I have no evidence but I'm personally convinced they actually just stopped development) until another company came in out of nowhere and said "OK guys do you want us to make a DNF game or not." In that sense DNF wasn't really in development all that time, because in the end it was all tossed and a totally separate company made their own game using that license.

Star Citizen was coming along until about 2014. Something happened with Chris and he went all the way off the rails, they lost actual game developers, and now the whole thing is a giant broken model viewer being massaged by fresh college grads. Unlike the above two examples, the people at CIG have no idea how to make a game and have no shipped titles (except Erin and technically Chris if you go back far enough.) Chris still thinks "3D models + motion-capture = game" so there's no chance for a release beyond a series of cutscenes linked together by slow hallway navigation, reminiscent of Myst. Which frankly is the era he seems intent on bringing everyone back to.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 26, 2019

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I really feel like every news article should use the Chris Roberts boat pic as their stock headline photo whenever they write about Star Citizen.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Having fun with this:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

Having fun with this:

:lol:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

MinorInconvenience posted:

Allowing people to sell poo poo on the internet was a terrible mistake.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sabreseven posted:

Having fun with this:

Beautiful.

Someone needs to do the scene with the bear costume guy and the tux guy in the room...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sabreseven posted:

Having fun with this:

:five:

:magical:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

I've thought of the Daikatana and DNF comparisons before, and they are apt comparisons, but there's also something missing.

Maybe not in terms of the details, but in broad strokes of "a game that's taking forever to come out" the gaming news sites seem to have a good bullshit detector due to those games and are not giving Star Citizen the benefit of the doubt.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Having fun with this:

Just don't do crobear with the fellatio thing.

e: Eh, never mind run wild with the thing. Imagine Lesnick running through the frozen maze.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 26, 2019

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Terminally Bored posted:

:lol: Even MoMA makes an appearance on page 2:

Ominous Woosh
Jan 9, 2019
The Citizens are revolting.

Long time lurker first time poster. Keep up the good work thread goonies.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Well, that didn’t last long while also being the most blank slate of posts. Was stating a mechanic “not in game” too negative?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Odd. Thanks for letting me know.

Weird. Apparently it's gone.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sabreseven posted:

I adjusted the image slightly for clarity. :)

:master:

:discourse:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe not in terms of the details, but in broad strokes of "a game that's taking forever to come out" the gaming news sites seem to have a good bullshit detector due to those games and are not giving Star Citizen the benefit of the doubt.

I am increasingly grateful of that fact. I'm just hungering for them to move from "wait a minute, this is one of those games that takes forever to come out" to "wait a minute, they were never actually making a game because they lacked the qualifications to do so."

Sarsapariller linked a cool journal that had this nice paragraph that describes Chris Roberts self-image as a "developer" and "director":

A cool journal posted:

It is well known that persons protect themselves with all kinds of rationalizations when they have a buried image of themselves which the facts of their status do not support. A person may tell himself many things: that he has not been given a fair chance; that he is not really interested in becoming something else; that the time for showing his mettle has not yet come; that the usual means of realizing his desires are personally or morally distasteful, or require too much dull effort. By means of such defenses, a person saves himself from committing a cardinal social sin - the sin of defining oneself in terms of a status while lacking the qualifications which an incumbent of that status is supposed to possess.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Perfect. That is when development really started.

yeah for elite dangerous amirite

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Beautiful.

Someone needs to do the scene with the bear costume guy and the tux guy in the room...

Not the best, but simple and effective :)

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just don't do crobear with the fellatio thing.

e: Eh, never mind run wild with the thing. Imagine Lesnick running through the frozen maze.

Oops :D

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Ominous Woosh posted:

The Citizens are revolting.

Long time lurker first time poster. Keep up the good work thread goonies.

Welcome! Do you have any pets you can post?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

Ok, so I really want to ask, once and for all, what the gently caress actually is this "agenda" that goons are supposed to have?

Shitizens shout about goons having a specific agenda constantly, for years, and for as long as I've been here and counted as a "goon", I have never known any 'agenda' other than mocking/laughing at CR's attempt to rekindle his glory days while also taking advantage of people who lack common sense and self control.

Shitizens telling me I was a goon (when I dared to question the almighty CR and his great vision of interactive toilets in jpegs) and telling me I had an agenda was one of the reasons I ended up here, years ago. :D

The great Goon Agenda™ is the same as Star Citizen The Game™ - a figment of the backers' dreams and imaginations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sabreseven posted:

Not the best, but simple and effective :)

:perfect: