Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NumbersMatching320 posted:

There's been one on display at KMS since they came out and it's basically always too broken to demo fuckall.

I saw it at canadian loving tire.

I'll wait for the powerfist 3d printer.

meatpimp posted:

Thread title is incorrect.

No loving kidding. I was finally able to find a family doctor taking new patients and he hosed up my allergy test stuff and now i can't get ahold of him.

I'm taking 2-3 showers a day because it seems I'm allergic to my own sweat and my skin is fuuuuuuucked. I'm tempted to install a pressure washer soap dispenser filled with aloe in line with my shower head.

this is me trying to do anything that isn't sitting on my rear end covered in ice packs right now.

https://i.imgur.com/p8Mtwvx.mp4

If this wasn't an abnormally cold/wet summer this year, i would be completely hosed. for once i want winter to come early so i can rock out in the garage with a t-shirt at 5*c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I've heard so many good things about USAA, but holy gently caress trying to set anything up with them is impossible. All I want is an auto insurance quote and it's been a multi-week process of talking to call center drones and using a website that tells me to 'finish my verification' over the phone.

I'm probably just gonna tell them to forget it if it's this hard to even give them my money.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Powershift posted:

I saw it at canadian loving tire.

I'll wait for the powerfist 3d printer.

No loving kidding. I was finally able to find a family doctor taking new patients and he hosed up my allergy test stuff and now i can't get ahold of him.

I'm taking 2-3 showers a day because it seems I'm allergic to my own sweat and my skin is fuuuuuuucked. I'm tempted to install a pressure washer soap dispenser filled with aloe in line with my shower head.

this is me trying to do anything that isn't sitting on my rear end covered in ice packs right now.

https://i.imgur.com/p8Mtwvx.mp4

If this wasn't an abnormally cold/wet summer this year, i would be completely hosed. for once i want winter to come early so i can rock out in the garage with a t-shirt at 5*c.

Is it possible you have eczema? My daughter has eczema and sometimes she just breaks out in a rash for seemingly no reason and we have to treat it with steroid creams and lotions and wet wraps at bedtime.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My 5 year old laptop doesn't look terrible. This is the first Dell that's held up to my use for over 18 months in almost 20 years of research.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38863962

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

surivdaoreht posted:

My cobalt has 217000 miles now.. and speaking to the inherent cockroach style 2.2/getrag 5 spd combo’s resiliency it is still going strong with a seemingly compromised head gasket.

My Ion's 2.2/Getrag F23 would like to fight you on that statement at only 180k, but it's too busy making GBS threads out 2nd gear and being a bitch to start if it sits more than a few hours.

The combo either runs forever, or shits out relatively early. It looked pretty drat good under the valve cover a few months back; I'm hoping the shifting issues clear up after a fluid change (they started a bit after being driven down a road flooded bad enough that I had water coming over the hood if I went faster than "idle in 1st gear", thinking it sucked some water in through the breather). If they do, I might actually fix the rusted out fuel line. :v: (which I think may be related to is definitely causing my cold start issues).

I'm gonna have this stuck in my head all day now, THANKS JERK. :mad:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

therobit posted:

Is it possible you have eczema? My daughter has eczema and sometimes she just breaks out in a rash for seemingly no reason and we have to treat it with steroid creams and lotions and wet wraps at bedtime.

Yeah, i have had dishydrotic eczema for years, normally stress induced, but it's usually limited to my hands. I'm not having a flare up there right now, but if i sweat too badly and don't wash it off quickly, my forehead, arm pits and nether regions get crazy inflamed and my eyes start swelling shut. It's not the blisters i get with eczema. I was using beta-methasone for the eczema for a while but it thinned the skin to the point where a second flare-up under the first left me with permanent scaring.

I'm definitely allergic to nickel and it's possible it being excreted through sweat and causing the issues, but my immune system is so completely hosed at this point it could also be like 100 other things. I've tried eliminating it from my diet, but i've basically lived on cheese and oranges for the last month and i'm still completely hosed.

I grew up on an acreage with well water, i have UC, eczema and now this, my sister is losing her eyesight to an autoimmune disease, one of her sons has severe eczema and the other is completely bald from alopecia at 11 years old. Lead exposure increases the instances of autoimmune disorders and replaces calcium in the bones if you're exposed to it while growing, which a pregnant woman's body draws from. I'm planning on going back there and getting samples of the water to get tested for heavy metals. We had a water softener that went through a crazy amount of salt and quickly started using bottled water for drinking, but still would have been exposed to a lot of the well water.

meatpimp posted:

My 5 year old laptop doesn't look terrible. This is the first Dell that's held up to my use for over 18 months in almost 20 years of research.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38863962

That's pretty drat good.

AMD being a poo poo show for the last decade seems to have allowed Intel to take their foot off the throttle. Ryzen 3 being so powerful will hopefully get things moving again. I got lucky with the 2500k being such a long lived processor, but my current desktop is really showing it's age now. I found the receipt for it the other day.

$1300 for a complete mid-highish computer. I can't price the same thing out these days under $2k :smith:

considering i got 10 years out of a laptop and 8 years(so far) out of the desktop, i'm going to try to wait for PCI-E 5.0, DDR5, and HDMI 2.1 before i upgrade. I have to up the voltage a little more every few months to keep things stable so my current hardware isn't long for this world. the drat i5 2500k has been running 24/7 at 4.7ghz for 8 years now which is just mindblowing.

STR posted:

I'm gonna have this stuck in my head all day now, THANKS JERK. :mad:

I watched a thing on how lead singer Richard Patrick was treated like poo poo by a bunch of bands as a touring guitarist so now he treats all his band members like poo poo/as totally expendable. It's really sad to see.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 26, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, Jesus, I would be so completely hosed if I were allergic to my own sweat. It’s the only way I survive doing anything outside in Texas summers for more than 5 minutes (by being completely soaking wet within 30 minutes...)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

AMD being a poo poo show for the last decade seems to have allowed Intel to take their foot off the throttle. Ryzen 3 being so powerful will hopefully get things moving again. I got lucky with the 2500k being such a long lived processor, but my current desktop is really showing it's age now. I found the receipt for it the other day.

$1300 for a complete mid-highish computer. I can't price the same thing out these days under $2k :smith:

considering i got 10 years out of a laptop and 8 years(so far) out of the desktop, i'm going to try to wait for PCI-E 5.0, DDR5, and HDMI 2.1 before i upgrade. I have to up the voltage a little more every few months to keep things stable so my current hardware isn't long for this world. the drat i5 2500k has been running 24/7 at 4.7ghz for 8 years now which is just mindblowing.

I watched a thing on how lead singer Richard Patrick was treated like poo poo by a bunch of bands as a touring guitarist so now he treats all his band members like poo poo/as totally expendable. It's really sad to see.

That explains a lot about Filter. :smith:

I ran my 2500k at 4.6 for years until it got the tickle of Thor, never had to up the voltage. And even then, it was only the motherboard that really got zapped. The PC was still running after the earth shattering kaboom, but bitching about the network adapter not responding. Once I rebooted, that was it - it wouldn't POST, and both LEDs on the NIC (dimly) stayed lit whenever it had power. There was a scorch mark right by the network jack when I tore it apart, and the remains of a chip at the bottom of the case. My router also has a dead port (still using it today), and I had to get the coax from the dmarc into my apartment replaced a bit after (signal quality and speed went to poo poo after, it took a few months to get Time Warner/Spectrum to finally send out a competent tech), so it's probably safe to say it came in through the coax. The CPU and RAM still live on in my mother's PC (when I built it, I made sure to do a Sandy Bridge i3 so I could upgrade her system whenever I upgraded).

Currently on an i7-2600k generously donated by a goon that's running a pretty healthy overclock as well (I think 4.7?), stock voltage. Same power supply (10 year old low end Corsair, I think Seasonic made their CX series?), same drives, same USB 3.0 card that got the Thor tickle. I finally got an 8TB drive to replace the 3 ancient internal drives, I'm slowly moving everything over to it. But I don't plan to wipe the old drives until I get another 8TB to mirror everything to.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Sometimes I feel like maybe I shouldn't be in the car game anymore. Screw in the tire, slow leak, hey I'll plug it. Might as well get my new Craftsman impact out that I got years ago on a stupid sale and give that a go. Well that thing can suck a bag of dicks because it wouldn't even break loose the lug nuts. Fine I dragged all this poo poo out I will just use my 25 year old lug wrench no problem.

So I take screw out, ream the hole, lube the hole and go to insert plug. I go through five plugs I CAN NOT GET THIS loving PLUG IN THE loving TIRE. I have done this dozens of times in my life.

So gently caress this poo poo put it all up and load the 16" wheel in my tiny Today and take it to the Mexican tire shop up the street. $10 and 10 minutes later it is patched like new. Never again. I'll let the experts handle this poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm so far past the point of caring much about my desktop/laptop hardware that I had to dig through emails and spec sheets to look them up :v:

My desktop is on a 6600k, along with a two-year-newer Radeon that I can't remember the specific model of because I got it as a gift instead of buying it myself. I don't have a VR setup or a 4K monitor and they drive my 21:9 widescreen just fine in anything I've played so I have zero incentive to upgrade. The only upgrade I have "planned" would be to get a 1TB NVMe boot drive for it, mostly to pilfer the 500GB SATA SSD in it now for another box.

My laptop is a not quite two-year-old Asus UX430UN, which they apparently still sell for new at only a slightly lower cost. MX150 GPU on it is just enough for some very light gaming (which I prefer to do on a desktop or console anyway). Also no reason to expect to upgrade it anytime in the foreseeable future.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My main daily is a 5 year old Surface Pro 2 that I dock at work and home. It meets all of my needs wonderfully and simply and I see no reason to upgrade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Sometimes I feel like maybe I shouldn't be in the car game anymore. Screw in the tire, slow leak, hey I'll plug it. Might as well get my new Craftsman impact out that I got years ago on a stupid sale and give that a go. Well that thing can suck a bag of dicks because it wouldn't even break loose the lug nuts. Fine I dragged all this poo poo out I will just use my 25 year old lug wrench no problem.

So I take screw out, ream the hole, lube the hole and go to insert plug. I go through five plugs I CAN NOT GET THIS loving PLUG IN THE loving TIRE. I have done this dozens of times in my life.

So gently caress this poo poo put it all up and load the 16" wheel in my tiny Today and take it to the Mexican tire shop up the street. $10 and 10 minutes later it is patched like new. Never again. I'll let the experts handle this poo poo.

I have to do brakes, a t-stat and oil change on wednesday and I hate everything about life that has brought me to this point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Internal patches are so much more secure than plugs that i see no reason to ever use the latter unless you're stranded with no spare.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I barely turn on my desktop these days (4790K, 16GB RAM, boot and games SSDs). Last upgrade was a GTX 1070 about 4 months before my kid was born. I game maybe 2 hours a week now. It only comes on when I need to use Alldata otherwise.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

everdave posted:

They have medications for that now, it's natural at your age.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

My main daily is a 5 year old Surface Pro 2 that I dock at work and home. It meets all of my needs wonderfully and simply and I see no reason to upgrade.

I use a 2012 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and an SSD to wake it up a bit as my daily at home, and likewise a 2012 i7 27" iMac and a 2010-ish Mac Pro quad-core Xeon usually running Windows on my desk in my office for heavier-duty tasks.
I would like to at least get a 2013-2015 MacBook Pro, though. I'm taxing the poor 2012 a bit with the truly stupid number of Chrome windows and tabs I keep open. Not really a failing of the laptop, though, more of me.
My existence as a Professional PC Janitor means that I've used castoffs and hand-me-downs for the last two decades. My last (and first!) brand new machine was in 2000. ASUS system board, P4, I think. Windows ME. Eventually put a windows and lighting in the case, but it was fairly pedestrian. I did build it myself, though, as part of my Electronics Technology course at ATI.

Ah, almost forgot the Mac Mini I'm using as a file server. I really need to find another solution for that. Macs are great, but don't really work the best as a file server. My main sticking point is that the storage drive attached to it is in a format that only Macs speak, which means hours of copying to change. Tremek brought up FreeNAS a while back, and I want to see if this little guy can work with that, since FreeNAS currently does everything I want to do with that box, including serving Plex and grabbing Bittorrents. at some point I need to decommission the Mac Pro from running 24/7 - it chews up a lot of power, and the only reason it needs to stay on is Bittorrent. Which I guess I could move to the Mini right now...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I have to do brakes, a t-stat and oil change on wednesday and I hate everything about life that has brought me to this point.

Or try spending a weekend replacing shocks and springs with no help and an aching back, having to get two alignments because they hosed up the first one and then your car gets totaled a few months later :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

an aching back, having to get two alignments because they hosed up the first one

that sounds dangerous

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

that sounds dangerous

Lol I don’t do chiropractors, physical therapy only :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not even a chiropractor that went to one of the finest chiropractor school in one of the finest malls in the country?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i have had dishydrotic eczema for years, normally stress induced, but it's usually limited to my hands. I'm not having a flare up there right now, but if i sweat too badly and don't wash it off quickly, my forehead, arm pits and nether regions get crazy inflamed and my eyes start swelling shut. It's not the blisters i get with eczema. I was using beta-methasone for the eczema for a while but it thinned the skin to the point where a second flare-up under the first left me with permanent scaring.

I'm definitely allergic to nickel and it's possible it being excreted through sweat and causing the issues, but my immune system is so completely hosed at this point it could also be like 100 other things. I've tried eliminating it from my diet, but i've basically lived on cheese and oranges for the last month and i'm still completely hosed.

I also have the dishydrotic eczema on my hands, which is pretty rough when you wear rubber gloves for work outside in the American South.

FWIW, my flare ups were greatly minimized when I was put on thyroid replacement hormone. Per my understanding, my thyroid hormone levels weren't abnormal but my pituitary was pumping out TSH like crazy to make it keep up, which in turn can cause a lot of other metabolic issues.

For small flare ups the best thing I've found is lotion with colloidal oatmeal. Tried several steroid creams that didn't do squat.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 26, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Rediscovered Tool thanks to my brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcW-j7KFgY

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sorry about your allergy poo poo powershift, itching like that sucks.

My old laptop is rocking an MSI GT72 i7-5950hq with a gtx970m and the drat thing hums along.

My desktop is a i7-6700k with 32gb and 1080ti and I still can't sees reason to upgrade the cpu or GPU.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My current desktop is the result of me getting sloppy changing out some power supply cables and trying to be "frugal" doing some upgrades. Its currently an i7-4790k that I want to replace with a ryzen system one day.

I dunno how many of you are familiar with the ls1-kart thread over on grassroots motorsports but its fantastic. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/ls1-kart-a-brutally-simple-c5-corvette-based-buildhack/129865/page1/ I bounce back and forth between following what this guy has done vs Exocet build. I honestly think the c5 strip route would be more economical.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I had an exciting Monday morning commute today.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm not a tireologist but I think that's going to need to be replaced.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a masters in breaking poo poo, and that's broken.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That tire is well and truly chooched.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

That tire is well and truly chooched.

Naw, he chooched too hard on er and now she's right dickered.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Chowdered, reckon

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I use a 2012 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and an SSD to wake it up a bit as my daily at home, and likewise a 2012 i7 27" iMac and a 2010-ish Mac Pro quad-core Xeon usually running Windows on my desk in my office for heavier-duty tasks.
I would like to at least get a 2013-2015 MacBook Pro, though. I'm taxing the poor 2012 a bit with the truly stupid number of Chrome windows and tabs I keep open. Not really a failing of the laptop, though, more of me.
My existence as a Professional PC Janitor means that I've used castoffs and hand-me-downs for the last two decades. My last (and first!) brand new machine was in 2000. ASUS system board, P4, I think. Windows ME. Eventually put a windows and lighting in the case, but it was fairly pedestrian. I did build it myself, though, as part of my Electronics Technology course at ATI.

Ah, almost forgot the Mac Mini I'm using as a file server. I really need to find another solution for that. Macs are great, but don't really work the best as a file server. My main sticking point is that the storage drive attached to it is in a format that only Macs speak, which means hours of copying to change. Tremek brought up FreeNAS a while back, and I want to see if this little guy can work with that, since FreeNAS currently does everything I want to do with that box, including serving Plex and grabbing Bittorrents. at some point I need to decommission the Mac Pro from running 24/7 - it chews up a lot of power, and the only reason it needs to stay on is Bittorrent. Which I guess I could move to the Mini right now...

You may be able to install it but FreeNAS has two peculiar but important requirements around RAM:

1) I think 8GB is the minimum, and

2) They highly suggest you use ECC RAM so that in conjunction with ZFS, you can prevent bit rot and not write a bad bit back to the disk array. While the reasons for this aren’t quite as dire as the freenas nerds would have you believe, it’s still not a bad idea.

So far I continue to be happy with it chooching along without having to do much after initial config. 16-32GB ECC RAM is probably the second largest expense following disks but I think it’s worth it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tremek posted:

You may be able to install it but FreeNAS has two peculiar but important requirements around RAM:

2) They highly suggest you use ECC RAM so that in conjunction with ZFS, you can prevent bit rot and not write a bad bit back to the disk array. While the reasons for this aren’t quite as dire as the freenas nerds would have you believe, it’s still not a bad idea.

So far I continue to be happy with it chooching along without having to do much after initial config. 16-32GB ECC RAM is probably the second largest expense following disks but I think it’s worth it.

ECC DDR3 is dirt cheap right now, especially if you're willing/able to use 4GB modules.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Who else is amped as gently caress for KSP2

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Who else is amped as gently caress for KSP2

This rear end in a top hat is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tremek posted:

a) You can do it on 4Gb but for the love of god DONT DO IT

b) I tend to use ECC RAM on my FreeNAS boxes. Also the other thing is that it is highly recomennded to use a proper USB HDD as a boot device rather than a generic USB key. FreeNAS neeeerds dont like actual HDD's for boot installs which I generally dont get as a small SSD makes for a good reliable and quick boot device.... but pretty much I've had failures with more generic USB sticks so we have standardised on a SANDisk USB3 (the exact model I dont know off the top of my head but it's a SSD USB) and have had no problems with that.

We run a bunch of FreeNAS and NetAPP SANS depending on the critical nature. Honestly FreeNAS is pretty drat sweet

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
...but if you're planning on slamming an HFS+ drive into freenas, it's not going to be the most frictionless experience. You can probably get it to work, but that's not a supported configuration.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Fender Anarchist posted:

Internal patches are so much more secure than plugs that i see no reason to ever use the latter unless you're stranded with no spare.

I find that bog-standard light truck/SUV tires are easy to plug, and did exactly that on my old Ranger when I caught a nail in the tire in the middle-of-nowhere upstate NY. The plug did fine and I sold the truck a year later. Since I’m now in a heavily populated area and have about 3 decent independent tire shops within 2 miles of my place, I let them handle patching and making calls on the run-flats and LRR poo poo we have on our cars now. Finding safe lift and jack-stand points on the Volt is such a huge pain in the dick anymore that I’m literally considering selling my big air compressor and pneumatic tools because they’re just taking up space in my basement, unused.

Darchangel posted:

I’m looking for an excuse to replace my 2013 rMBP but can’t because apparently Apple made these under the supervision of some Lovecraftian horror that ensured they are all undead and eternal. The thing won’t die and keeps up with everything I need to do, so as long it keeps getting security updates I have literally no reason to buy a different one. :shrug:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Still running an old 2500k overclocked to 4.3. I had to turn it down recently after getting more and more blue screens. It's fine for gaming and I'm amazed how decent it still is today. Going strong since 2011! Granted I've updated everything else since then...

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

My Plex Server is now 1 SAS cable away from completion. I think the running total is $250 for a DL380 Gen 5 with 28GB EEC DDR3 and 4x 2.5in 83GB(?) SAS Drives. I upgraded the Xeons to dual E5450. A P411 with 1GB Cache and Battery SAS Controller. StorageWorks D2600 with so far only 8 of the 12 3.5in bays populated with a mixture of 6TB and 2TB Drives. (the 3.5in drives in the Storageworks do not count to the running build cost as they are migrated from my old Microserver)

All configured for my torrentbox, PLEX, ZoneMinder, VPN service and a few other things I want to off load like CUDA processing for Photogrammetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Guess who pulled a stainless pan out of a 450F oven on Sunday night, and then promptly grabbed it again without an oven mitt? :downs:

At least I got good drugs and a day off work out of it.