Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Platystemon posted:

No, because the counterfeits aren’t whole-cloth replicas based on your publicity photos.

They need you to send your designs to factories so they can copy them.

quote:

Remember the StikBox? The creative smartphone case selfie stick raised over $40K on Kickstarter for a product that would eventually cost about $47. But before the Kickstarter was even over, China was selling a perfect copy for as little as 8 bucks.

It’s part horror story, part PSA: if you’re planning to create a mass market product and release it over Kickstarter, be ready to deal with the lightning-quick copycats in China. Isreali entrepreneur and creator of the StikBox, Yekutiel Sherman, was not ready. He did things the right way: put together prototypes, raised money from relatives to launch a professional crowdfunding campaign, and was prepared to deliver a fun, useful product.

But just one week after launching his successful Kickstarter, exact replicas started popping up online:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Or the tale of the baby toy for grown cubicle dwellers, the Fidget Cube:
https://medium.com/@jobosapien/real-vs-fake-the-infamous-case-of-the-quickly-copied-fidget-cube-9b26a6161b36

quote:

The Fidget Cube campaign did mention copycats, but I didn’t realize it was this egregious.

I asked a store how much they were: 12 RMB, a bit less than $2 USD. I bought 5 to give to friends.

quote:

What you have to understand is that China is very good at quickly and cheaply manufacturing almost any good you can think of, especially if it’s a simple product with no internal circuitry or associated software, which the Fidget Cube falls under.

e: welp that's a bad example of what the poster above was demonstrating. Still amusing. My main fidget toy is a knockoff Rubik's Cube, which have had knockoff copies made since the 1980's. They sell really bad ones at dollar stores.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Aug 25, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

doctorfrog posted:

Or the tale of the baby toy for grown cubicle dwellers, the Fidget Cube:
https://medium.com/@jobosapien/real-vs-fake-the-infamous-case-of-the-quickly-copied-fidget-cube-9b26a6161b36

e: welp that's a bad example of what the poster above was demonstrating. Still amusing. My main fidget toy is a knockoff Rubik's Cube, which have had knockoff copies made since the 1980's. They sell really bad ones at dollar stores.

The Rubiks Cube is an example of the knockoffs being better quality. The official cubes are stiff and terrible to turn. There are plenty of Chinese brands that are so good that they are used by the world record holders.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the official fidget cube's joystick is cheap trash, the chinese-made copies get it right

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Someone made a little display of all the obsolete tape formats at work.

Betacam SP
UMatic
Betacam
DVCam
Ikegami Editcam
XDCam

Now we just use SD cards

Editcam was an interesting format that was basically just a hard drive in a cartridge but it had the advantage at the time that you could just grab the pack, plug it in and ingest it for edit very quickly. It was astronomically expensive and since it used a spinning disk it was prone to errors but it worked well for many years.

XDCam had the same advantages but the disks were dirt cheap in comparison. Also it did HD.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

dev286 posted:

Betacam SP
UMatic
Betacam
DVCam
Ikegami Editcam
XDCam

Now we just use SD cards

Editcam was an interesting format that was basically just a hard drive in a cartridge but it had the advantage at the time that you could just grab the pack, plug it in and ingest it for edit very quickly. It was astronomically expensive and since it used a spinning disk it was prone to errors but it worked well for many years.

XDCam had the same advantages but the disks were dirt cheap in comparison. Also it did HD.

it's weird how all those have the same Phil Collins video recorded on each and need to be returned.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I worked at a TV station as a Master Control Operator in 1998-99. All of our ads and most of our shows were recorded on UMatic. A few of our syndicated shows were recorded on SVHS.

That station had to be one of the last ones in operation that was still using UMatic by then...

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I worked at a TV station as a Master Control Operator in 1998-99. All of our ads and most of our shows were recorded on UMatic. A few of our syndicated shows were recorded on SVHS.

That station had to be one of the last ones in operation that was still using UMatic by then...

Yeah my station was still using UMatic for some on air playback till 2004 when they got Avid.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

dev286 posted:

drat, I was expecting QIC, DLT, etc. :v:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

dev286 posted:

In the spirit of everything old being new again, I believe the proprietary storage packs you use in Red cameras are 2.5" SATA consumer SSDs plus a DRM interface chip, in a neat aluminium cartridge.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dev286 posted:

Betacam SP
UMatic
Betacam
DVCam
Ikegami Editcam
XDCam

Now we just use SD cards

hah cool, you might work down the street from me

Computer viking posted:

In the spirit of everything old being new again, I believe the proprietary storage packs you use in Red cameras are 2.5" SATA consumer SSDs plus a DRM interface chip, in a neat aluminium cartridge.
You're all caught up in Jinni tech's videos right? He's been tearing them apart and breaking down BOMs for red mags, it's hilarious

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One step removed - I saw Linus (of LTT) tear down his Red storage pack while talking about it and Jinni. IIRC his take was "this is overpriced and way oversold compared to the low-tech reality, but it's also part of an overall tech and support package that we still think is worth it". Which is fair, I guess; in a way it's just an implementation detail.

Also, it seem they use fat32, and that's why the camera splits everything into 4GB chunks. "Millions in R&D" indeed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Humphreys posted:

Someone NEEDS to make that a reality. I've spent half an hour with the idea rolling around my head and I TECHNICALLY know how I would make it. I am also a very lazy man.

If that's a 3.5mm jack then each part is the size of a phone, if a bit thinner. I think it's totally doable even as a hobby project, a cheap SOC, an oled screen, and a 3d printed case is all you'd need. Not sure about the seek head though, maybe a linear induction motor? Someone do the needful please, I'm also lazy and have plenty of projects to procrastinate on.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Computer viking posted:

There isn't even a interface chip. The PCB is just a passive adapter with a mSATA port on one side, and a Red connector on the other.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Computer viking posted:

One step removed - I saw Linus (of LTT) tear down his Red storage pack while talking about it and Jinni. IIRC his take was "this is overpriced and way oversold compared to the low-tech reality, but it's also part of an overall tech and support package that we still think is worth it". Which is fair, I guess; in a way it's just an implementation detail.

Also, it seem they use fat32, and that's why the camera splits everything into 4GB chunks. "Millions in R&D" indeed.

From what I've heard if a Red drive fucks up, Red will pony up for the data recovery which is sort of like a warranty for your data, but that still means the drive failed. Jinni goes over why that may be. Red is sourcing bottom of the barrel consumer components to build their drives when they could source higher quality server grade internals and still have a product with an insane markup. Same with their cinema screens which are just DVI aliexpress boards with custom connectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEzLDqELh70

The videos really are interesting, especially the latest one where he speculated certain Red patents may not even be valid.

bring back old gbs has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Aug 26, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

bring back old gbs posted:

Red is sourcing bottom of the barrel consumer components to build their drives when they could source higher quality server grade internals and still have a product with an insane markup.

I don't mind that they are taking a $250 generic component, sticking it in a custom case and charging more: that's the way business goes. But charging $2,500 for that branded product is just insulting.

and, as you say, it's not even a particularly good quality generic component.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

But charging $2,500 for that branded product is just insulting.

Its worse than that though.. The CEO on multiple occasions flat out lied and kept saying it was a "specially manufactured" SSD with "custom RED firmware". This was false on both points. It was a bottom of the barrel SSD, literally the cheapest variant the manufacturer offered. And the firmware was bog standard.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mobby_6kl posted:

If that's a 3.5mm jack then each part is the size of a phone, if a bit thinner. I think it's totally doable even as a hobby project, a cheap SOC, an oled screen, and a 3d printed case is all you'd need. Not sure about the seek head though, maybe a linear induction motor? Someone do the needful please, I'm also lazy and have plenty of projects to procrastinate on.

I feel like the case has to be metal, or at least stiff enough (polycarbonate with embedded magnets?) to have satisfying folding action.

And that thought process reminded me of something I haven't seen in the wild for ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRDeSCQoCCM

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one challenge would be to get the duration slider working correctly. it'd be trivial to do it as a segmented LED that lit up with the song length but to do it right it'd need to be like it is in the concept with the slider bit physically sticking out, motorized to move with the song as it plays. it's not just a standard linear pot like the equalizer or volume slider, it'd need some extra magic to be motorized, but also you can drag it around to seek

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Trabant posted:

I feel like the case has to be metal, or at least stiff enough (polycarbonate with embedded magnets?) to have satisfying folding action.

And that thought process reminded me of something I haven't seen in the wild for ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRDeSCQoCCM

Oh drat I had a bunch of these as a kid. I had this too and it was really fun:

never knew it had detailed instructions...I just worked it out till i got it.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I had a Random House "Luminations" puzzle when I was a kid. These seem pretty unknown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p423Unrfq68

It was rad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh drat I had a bunch of these as a kid. I had this too and it was really fun:

never knew it had detailed instructions...I just worked it out till i got it.

In my closet somewhere, I have a spherical "rubic" puzzle. I can't seem to find a picture of it on google. It's three rings around the sphere, two big ones around the middle and two small ones around the poles. It articulates around the middle, and the diameter of the small ones is the distance between rings, so you can get all the pieces moving in one giant train.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cojawfee posted:

I watched that earlier and that's American as gently caress to do. The tape is a different size, the holes are in different places, and the tape heads are put in upside down. Once someone buys the Sears tape player, they can only use Sears tapes.

That's by no means uniquely American.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/827439839

13-gauge shotgun, designed specifically so you can only use the manufacturer's ammunition.

Hell, proprietizing things like that is Sony's hallmark. Betamax, DAT, Minidisc, UMD, Memory Stick, and let's not forget ATRAC. Sony even sold MP3 players that wouldn't play MP3s, they'd have to convert them to ATRAC first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

That's by no means uniquely American.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/827439839

13-gauge shotgun, designed specifically so you can only use the manufacturer's ammunition.

These have a neat story behind them. Originally they used 14 gauge shells that were just regular shotgun shells in an odd size that only the government had, with the theory that criminals and rebels couldn't just steal shotguns and load them with commercial ammo....except you could wrap 16 gauge shells in paper and they would fit just fine.

When they released the Mk. III, it was designed to use this new ammo:

The primer is recessed and the firing pin is shaped like a trident, which meant commercial ammo no longer worked no matter what you did to it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You've all met magic granddad, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ViURLA13iU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

bring back old gbs posted:

one challenge would be to get the duration slider working correctly. it'd be trivial to do it as a segmented LED that lit up with the song length but to do it right it'd need to be like it is in the concept with the slider bit physically sticking out, motorized to move with the song as it plays. it's not just a standard linear pot like the equalizer or volume slider, it'd need some extra magic to be motorized, but also you can drag it around to seek

You'd also need to handle all the things that the original Winamp UI did as pop-up dialogs - basically every button on the playlist component.

It's a cool concept render but it would be a terrible product in real life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ynohtna posted:

You've all met magic granddad, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ViURLA13iU

I love that you watch this guy's videos and you can only tell when it was made by if it is in HD or not or by the date it was posted. He's been making the same style videos for years. My only complain is that he rushes through the things too much. Like he has to leave soon and just wants to quickly show off some trinkets he has.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You're not wrong. He makes me think of over-eager candy shop proprietors, excitedly running ahead to teach me about all their favourites flavours before I've been able to begin processing input.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Vanagoon posted:

I had a Random House "Luminations" puzzle when I was a kid. These seem pretty unknown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p423Unrfq68

It was rad.

Just took a photo

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ynohtna posted:

You're not wrong. He makes me think of over-eager candy shop proprietors, excitedly running ahead to teach me about all their favourites flavours before I've been able to begin processing input.

This, uh, happen to you often? :D

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It does read a bit like a robot learning about humanity by exploring this non-nutritional foodstuff, aka "candy" concept:

ynohtna posted:

He makes me think of over-eager candy shop proprietors, excitedly running ahead to teach me about all their favourites flavours before I've been able to begin processing input.
___________/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I am like an old capacitor, uncontrollably leaking vintage autism. Sorry, no cure.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

twistedmentat posted:

I wondered why open colonization never felt right. I should look if I have Colonization on GOG.

Do people still get joysticks for computers? Outside of flight Sim enthusiasts. An Xbox controller is by far the better choice.

They're niche items now, even more so than they used to be. Once the Xbox and Playstation controllers just started using normal rear end USB plugs, the entire market for specific PC controllers dried up real fast. Steam conroller manages survive somehow.

For a while Microsoft did sell a special PC version of the Xbox 360 controller which was just the wired console controller but with a $10 higher MSRP. They still sell PC specific wireless ones that come with the little USB receiver nubbin.

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Aug 26, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
A handful of times, he obliviously showcased obvious sex toys as fun novelties.

Those are my favorite.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Space Gopher posted:

You'd also need to handle all the things that the original Winamp UI did as pop-up dialogs - basically every button on the playlist component.

It's a cool concept render but it would be a terrible product in real life.

The buttons are microswitches and everything else is handled on the touchscreen :colbert:

Obviously it's gonna suck because who the hell used a stand-alone mp3 player but it's be cool as hell.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Those are my favorite.

Link?!?!?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Wasabi the J posted:

Those are my favorite.

I mean, "fun novelty" isn't an inaccurate description of a lot of sex toys...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdlg5tMQfY

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Lurking Haro posted:

Just took a photo

Does it work? You should make a better youtube video than the one I posted.

I distinctly remember the battery door being an utter bastard to remove. Is yours like that?

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

oh my god