Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-ERheCn6A

2:43 in Vicarious for example, listen with decent headphones and you can hear a static-y noise in Danny's drum fill. That's audio clipping.

Interesting. I can’t pick that up at all. Congrats on your excellent hearing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Jewmanji posted:

Interesting. I can’t pick that up at all. Congrats on your excellent hearing :)

I'd rather be in your position because it's one of those things where once you hear it, it bugs you every time.

E: CCT owns, it reminds me of B'Boom off of King Crimson's THRAK

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 26, 2019

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Only listened once so definitely gonna have to go back, but first impression is that this is a pretty good album.

7empest rules.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 26, 2019

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

At this point Tool should just release the drat thing to the streaming services now lmao

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Didn't Metallica do this x100 on Death Magnetic? That poo poo sounded awful and I don't normally have an ear for this kind of stuff.

They did. It was an interesting one because they had to ship off the tracks to Activision for Guitar Hero Metallica to make its launch date, and the files they got where before the Audio Engineer cranked every slider to 11. So while it is a lot quieter than a normal recording, it can actually be enjoyed without making your ears bleed after a single song.

Doesnt change the fact that it was a pretty lovely album, however.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I remember the guitar hero rip being extremely popular on what.cd

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'd rather be in your position because it's one of those things where once you hear it, it bugs you every time.

E: CCT owns, it reminds me of B'Boom off of King Crimson's THRAK

it's pretty noticible on the last part of 7empest when it gets all New Order-y and the vocals come back in (surely elsewhere too but this is the part I have listened to the most), and I have got to hope it's a result of the rip, but I'm assuming it'll be exactly like the Death Magnetic situation (and Zwan one that people are mentioning) which was so incredibly stupid because we were given a perfect alternative from a video game which sounded better.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ive had this poo poo on repeat for two days now. Only one i dont like is Culling Voices and i dont really know why.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Not sure about FLAC format, but on both the mp3 preorder and streaming page for the album on Amazon, it lists the bonus interludes. So they're not exclusive to the physical edition download. Seems the "limited edition CD" is actually the only format that doesn't have the extra tracks.

If this is the case, if someone doesn't care about the interludes and wants to sell me their mp3 code of the album, I'd toss them $5 on PayPal.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I love Culling Voices, it’s so different from their usual style but tonally really interesting. I’m glad they were willing to experiment a bit on this album.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Album is real good. it's like 2 parts 10k Days, 1 part Lateralus. Which is totally fine.

A couple of the songs seem like riff salad that could have been broken up into 2-3 separate tracks. Other ones, like 7empest seem like it's just fine being a single song despite being 15 minutes long.

Overall, great stuff. I'll be listening to it all week. The drumming is fantastic as usual.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So I'm kind of a dunce. Are the 96/24 digital files only available through Qobuz? Is there some hidden option somewhere on Amazon? Will Qobuz give me 320k mp3s like Amazon/Google Music/etc, but charge me six more dollars for it? If I'm gonna spend money on my audiophile snake oil I wanna make sure I'm buying the right snake oil, dammit!

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

I love Culling Voices, it’s so different from their usual style but tonally really interesting. I’m glad they were willing to experiment a bit on this album.

Culling Voices reminds me a lot of Riverside or Lunatic Soul. Check those guys out if you're not familiar with them.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

This thread started out snarky as hell and has changed since the leak! Glad the album isn't a total disaster.

Although the reddit thread is a bitch fest...

I trust goon judgement more.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pneuma and 7empest are loving great. Easily the best tracks. Culling Voices and Chocolate Chip Trip being back to back is kind of a bummer. That’s like the take a piss break of the album for me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I still hate that Aenima the album requires skipping almost every second track

Eulogy is the only even numbered track on the album that's a song

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
...Und keine eier.

Edit: weird thing I read on Reddit today and just confirmed: when Maynard says "mitosis" in Fear Inoculum, it is exactly in the middle of the song. I know poo poo like the Holy Gift is stupid, but that seems like it can't be an accident in such a long song.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 28, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Lol if you guys don't crank it up when harry manback comes on and rock the gently caress out.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Feel like I'm in the minority but Chocolate Chip Trip is good

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I was pretty excited for the album but honestly I'm a bit disappointed. The tracks are good, but overall each song feels like it covers the same ground. It's buildup based song after buildup based song, so the album kinda feels start and stop and a bit stuck in the mud. The payoff is never quite as good as some old material, too, either with riffs or vocals or whatever. So it feels more like going up a hill rather than a mountain most of the time. That feeling is also probably because all the tracks are that similar vibe and the album never breaks out of it.

I've listened to it like 8 or 9 times and I feel like I still can barely differentiate some tracks whereas one listen of 10,000 and everything separated.

Maynard's vocal hooks just don't seem as memorable. He takes a bit of a back seat, and Adam Jones has always been the weaker link in the band. A lot of riffs feel recycled.

Personally I put it maybe above Undertow but below 10,000 Days, Lateralus, and Aenima. I still like it, but it just lacks variety.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
what the hell, undertow owns

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

After listening to this 6 or 7 times I definitely have it waaaay above 10,000 Days. Wings for Marie is an 18 minute slog and after Rosetta Stoned you might as well turn it off.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

WTF Right In Two owns.

That's the thing though, everyone has their own opinion. I think a large portion of the fanbase thinks everything after Aenima sucks (as evidenced in this very thread).

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Origami Dali posted:

I like the album. It just never resonated with me as much outside a few tracks. At least not compared to the rest of their discography anyway.

But I am a loving weirdo and like 10,000 Days the most. It offers to me the most perfected they've been at their sound as well as an emotional heft not really present on a lot of their albums. The title track is the best thing they've done and Vicarious/Right in Two are not far behind.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

gently caress yes I just listened to that song. It's genius.

I am starting to like it more and I can appreciate the album more.. but I think it's going to be like "the endless river" by Pink Floyd to me, as in, I enjoyed it, but I can't see myself listening to it after September.

Almost nothing memorable. Amazing buildups that don't go anywhere. The sound production is incredible though.

Nail Rat posted:

WTF Right In Two owns.

That's the thing though, everyone has their own opinion. I think a large portion of the fanbase thinks everything after Aenima sucks (as evidenced in this very thread).
Aenima has the best songs

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

WTF Right In Two owns.

Yeah, everything after Aenima is quite polarizing it seems. Lateralus is their best album

e: Adam Jones is the guest on Chris Jericho's podcast today

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 28, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

RDreamer posted:

But I am a loving weirdo and like 10,000 Days the most. It offers to me the most perfected they've been at their sound as well as an emotional heft not really present on a lot of their albums. The title track is the best thing they've done and Vicarious/Right in Two are not far behind.

10,000 Days is probably my favorite (with Jambi and The Pot being my personal standouts) and I can never really pick between Lateralus and Aenima.

I'm not sure this one is going to be in the mix with those 3 for me, but I don't think it's far off. Individually Pneuma, Descending, and 7empest I like more than most of the songs on those albums.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Jambi is one of the best songs they’ve written, but 10k Days is still my third favorite album pre-Fear Inoculum. I like a lot of the other songs on 10k Days but the title track really drags down the album for me. I’m not ready to rank Fear Inoculum yet but I like every song on it so that immediately puts it in the running for me as equal or better than Aenima (nothing will ever top Lateralus).

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

Almost nothing memorable. Amazing buildups that don't go anywhere. The sound production is incredible though.

what the hell, pneuma owns

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I don’t have a favorite album, I love select tracks from each album and don’t really listen to the rest.

From Undertow:
Prison Sex
Sober
Undertow

From Aenima:
Stinkfist
Eulogy
Forty Six & 2
Hooker with a Penis
Jimmy
Aenema
Third Eye

Lateralus
The Grudge
Schism
Parabol/Parabola
Lateralus

10,000 days
Vicarious
Jambi
Wings for Marie part 2
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two

Fear Inoculum
Fear Inoculum
Pneuma
Descending
7empest

Personally I listen to 10,000 days the most though, I like the vibe of that album the most, then Lateralus, then Aenima, then Undertow. I’ll prolly end up with FI somewhere between 10,000 days and Lateralus.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Their best song is Opiate

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

angrygodofjebus posted:

e: Adam Jones is the guest on Chris Jericho's podcast today

7empest is the song he is looking forward to playing the most live and seems to be his favorite on the album so that's cool. The whole thing is decent, but the last twenty minutes or so is probably the best. http://www.westwoodonepodcasts.com/pods/talk-is-jericho/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

echinopsis posted:

Their best song is Opiate

That's a funny way to spell H

Edit: Descending makes a hell of a loving running track with that climax in the middle

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 29, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Nail Rat posted:

Woooord

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nail Rat posted:

...Und keine eier.

Edit: weird thing I read on Reddit today and just confirmed: when Maynard says "mitosis" in Fear Inoculum, it is exactly in the middle of the song. I know poo poo like the Holy Gift is stupid, but that seems like it can't be an accident in such a long song.

What's the significance of this phrase?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the significance of this phrase?

It's from Die Eier Von Satan, it means 'and no eggs.'

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

when I first heard that song, I had been playing guitar for a year or so, and there’s a very gentle part in the song (sure you know what I mean) and I was so dumbfounded and desperate to learn how to play it. I love that song but haven’t actually listened in years

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

that little part in H is the best 20 seconds of music Tool has produced, its gonna be stuck in my head until I die

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

my bony fealty posted:

that little part in H is the best 20 seconds of music Tool has produced, its gonna be stuck in my head until I die

Which part? It has a lot of cool parts and a couple different soft parts. I'm assuming the part where the lyrics start with "without the skin?"

Because gently caress yeah that whole part building up to "I don't mind," holy poo poo.

edit: there ARE CD packages going to record stores, but not many. You'll want to go early if you want one. My local store just posted that their Tool albums go to the first two people when they open tomorrow.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

yep that's the part, "the walls come down..." is where I always just go shiiittt

Aenima is such a good album, every song is so good holy hell. wish I could hear parallel universe Tool where their sound went in that direction more.

are any of the Tool clone bands any good? I've listened to Deadsoul Tribe and Soen and Rishloo and they're all super meh