Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hm. I guess the title could be a reference to Rylo Ken too, but...

*fanfare*

IT IS A PERIOD OF UNEASY PEACE. THE SKYWALKERS, AN ALTRUISTIC ORDER OF TRAVELLING KNIGHTS, FACES TEMPTATION BY THE SOLOS AND THEIR LEADER KYLO REY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One thing I liked about the 90s is that there was a period of maybe eight months where I didn't hear about Star Wars at all. Not one mention. I feel that would be absolutely impossible at this point without retreating to the bottom of the Mariana trench.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FilthyImp posted:

Hm. I guess the title could be a reference to Rylo Ken too, but...

*fanfare*

IT IS A PERIOD OF UNEASY PEACE. THE SKYWALKERS, AN ALTRUISTIC ORDER OF TRAVELLING KNIGHTS, FACES TEMPTATION BY THE SOLOS AND THEIR LEADER KYLO REY

AFTER CENTURIES OF UNCEASING WAR BETWEEN THE SKYWALKERS AND SOME OTHER JACKOFF, THE REST OF THE GALAXY HAS STOPPED PRETENDING TO CARE

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

MikeJF posted:

Are photographed TV series posters allowed?

I was hoping there would be inspiration from the recent Vision comic series. Basic synopsys, after Vision has deleted his own emotions (after a complicated series of events that I choose not to understand), he left Scarlet Witch. In her place, he creates an artificial family (whose fabricated to be just like him), and move to the suburbs of Virginia where Vision is a consultant for the US government. Things aren't going great socially, with a lot of 'Sinister Suburbia' vibes. Then one of Vision's longtime supervillains show up to attack his family, only for his wife to murder him and hide the body. And the awful poo poo just snowballs from there. It's kinda like the 'No Country For Old Men' version of the Coen Bros taking on a Superhero story, only with Sci-Fi vibes and an apocalypicly Fatalistic attitude.

It's probably not going to do anything the comics did (it's on Disney's 'Family' streaming service anyways), but it's cool if it has the disturbed Upper-to-Middle Class vibe, and a story of powerful people making mistakes and it turning out horribly for them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Rey is effectively a chosen one as she kind of runs into all the important characters and immediately becomes the center of attention as tends to happen to movie protagonists.

I don’t think you can realistically do a movie like this that doesn’t end that way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One thing I liked about the 90s is that there was a period of maybe eight months where I didn't hear about Star Wars at all. Not one mention. I feel that would be absolutely impossible at this point without retreating to the bottom of the Mariana trench.

"Ohmigod, who...--"
"Hi it's me, Hollywood director and ocean afficianado James Cameron!"
"Oh ok, phewf."
"I'm down here making my Avatar sequels super special. Gotta make sure I beat Disney with all their superhero fluff and--"
"No James Cameron don't say it!"
"--and their endless Star Wars films."
"NOOOOOOO!"
"Is that a Vader impersonation?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Too bad Disney owns them blue mofos now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

Too bad Disney owns them blue mofos now.

Jesus you're right. Forgot how much they own. Welp, into the Trench for me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lobok posted:

Jesus you're right. Forgot how much they own. Welp, into the Trench for me.

imo they dont own at all

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I was hoping there would be inspiration from the recent Vision comic series. Basic synopsys, after Vision has deleted his own emotions (after a complicated series of events that I choose not to understand), he left Scarlet Witch. In her place, he creates an artificial family (whose fabricated to be just like him), and move to the suburbs of Virginia where Vision is a consultant for the US government. Things aren't going great socially, with a lot of 'Sinister Suburbia' vibes. Then one of Vision's longtime supervillains show up to attack his family, only for his wife to murder him and hide the body. And the awful poo poo just snowballs from there. It's kinda like the 'No Country For Old Men' version of the Coen Bros taking on a Superhero story, only with Sci-Fi vibes and an apocalypicly Fatalistic attitude.

It's probably not going to do anything the comics did (it's on Disney's 'Family' streaming service anyways), but it's cool if it has the disturbed Upper-to-Middle Class vibe, and a story of powerful people making mistakes and it turning out horribly for them.

If anyone chooses to look for this, the volumes are called Little Worse Than A Man and Little Better Than A Beast. Search Amazon in Books for "vision little worse" and they're the top two hits.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Those are good, especially the Joker.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Any poster that's not a collection of floating heads is good in my book.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vision is dead. You can’t just bring characters back to life.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

oldpainless posted:

Wanda has power over literal reality so yeah she can

but it's all going to be a delusion that cracks over time. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Wanda has power over literal reality so yeah she can

but it's all going to be a delusion that cracks over time. I'm cautiously optimistic.

There's no way he won't be back for real when it or Dr. Strange 2 are all said and done.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's no way he won't be back for real when it or Dr. Strange 2 are all said and done.

I'd be surprised, tbh. The villain of DS2 is Nightmare, and I'm guessing "Vision" in the show will prove to have been Nightmare the whole time, feeding on Wanda's grief and fear.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

oldpainless posted:

It’s comic books, of course they can. The last movie brought half of all its characters back to life. And both WandaVision and Loki are TV shows starring guys Thanos killed.

My pitch: Vision’s fragmented consciousness is on one of Shuri’s computers in Wakanda and something something here’s a TV show. It’s not any dumber than time-heisting jewels for a magic glove.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

If anything I hope they give Vision a personality other than "morose".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sometimes dead is better

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair, they put a respectable amount of effort into making certain characters really dead and burning as many bridges as possible for them.

... Even though 2 of them still made it back through time travel. Or maybe more like 1.5 of them. I think the Loki show is supposed to take place in the alternate past.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Loki in the Loki show is the alternate timeline one that shows up briefly in Endgame that uses the cube to teleport away.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Vincent posted:

If anything I hope they give Vision a personality other than "morose".

They'll bring him back lugubrious.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Loki in the Loki show is the alternate timeline one that shows up briefly in Endgame that uses the cube to teleport away.

which really annoys me because there was a solid chunk of good character development since then, but that's a topic for a different thread

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MikeJF posted:

which really annoys me because there was a solid chunk of good character development since then, but that's a topic for a different thread

Yeah Infinity War and Endgame take a dump on pretty much all of the character development that happened in Ragnarok for Thor, Loki and Hulk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hate the Russo Brothers so much at this point and just wish they would go away, but they never will.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They should've killed Loki and done a Kid Loki Journey Into Mystery show.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I hate the Russo Brothers so much at this point and just wish they would go away, but they never will.

Did they gently caress your girlfriend?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah Infinity War and Endgame take a dump on pretty much all of the character development that happened in Ragnarok for Thor, Loki and Hulk.

Endgame manages to fart on the character development for Hulk that was in Infinity War, which was :psyduck: as hell. “Hey so we’re going to build a big thing about how Hulk won’t come out after Thanos beat the crap out of him, and in the ‘second half’ of this two-part story, he’s... Professor Hulk all the time now. This happened off-screen, by the way. Sorry if you thought this thing that we spent the entire previous movie drilling into your head would amount to anything, we needed him to be Hulk in this for precisely one plot point and didn’t want to figure out how he gets the Hulk out.” Given how they’ve been shooting the movies where half the actors didn’t know if a scene they were shooting was for a solo film or an Avengers movie (Larson I believe mentioned not knowing what some smaller scenes on the CM set were for, and Gwyneth Paltrow didn’t even realize she was in Homecoming for a hot second because she thought that scene was for an Avengers movie), you’d think they’d have some of this poo poo actually laid out better.

Also fondly remembering complaining about how Tony just tosses off the phone that Cap sent him, the emotional hook that ended Civil War, to Banner and everyone going “you fool, it’s so Tony can use the phone in the next one because that’s going to be the emotional climax of the whole thing!” and then Endgame comes out and it’s like that loving flip phone never existed. Not even mentioned. They’re at the point of just saying “don’t invest any brainpower in the dangling threads in these movies, they’re not going to get paid off satisfyingly, if at all.”

But, anyway, to somehow tie this in to something involving movie posters, that Laundromat poster (Soderbergh is the guy who gave the Russos their shot in Hollywood) is pretty cool and I’m actually excited for a Netflix movie or two for once (you just have to be excited for a Scorsese picture, it’s in the film nerd charter), that movie looks like a load of fun for being about how the rich are a bunch of fucks who are dooming us all. Maybe it’s Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas looking like they’re having a ball playing absolute shitbirds and Meryl Streep looking like she’s not coasting for what feels like the first time since Adaptation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

They built Thanos to be the big evil for everyone but you can’t have all 15 heroes or whatever beat him in a one on one to end it all. Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Nebula, Gamora, Drax, Star Lord, Scarlet Witch all have reasons to have a personal beef with Thanos but get short changed in some way especially drax. I complained about this to my wife after seeing Endgame, there’s no sense of catharsis for lots of them

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Oh god I just realized that Drax’s whole thing was “Thanos killed my family. I will kill him.” and then I don’t even think there was a moment where he got to even punch Thanos or anything.

Wonder if that’s because he was like “this is bullshit” over the Gunn firing. Disney is a petty, petty company if you cross them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Banner uses the phone to call Cap in Infinity War. Why do you need it to show up again?

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah these complains seem pretty nitpicky when you consider the scope of what the MCU has accomplished across multiple franchises, directors and writers while having to make storylines for dozens of characters. It's all pretty coherent compared to something like the new Star Wars movies which have already turned into a total clusterfuck just two in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Banner uses the phone to call Cap in Infinity War. Why do you need it to show up again?

I think the point is that it represented the fractured relationship between Tony and Cap, so Banner being given the phone instead of Tony using it himself kinda makes that whole thing meaningless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but then Tony gives him the shield back instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Wonder if that’s because he was like “this is bullshit” over the Gunn firing. Disney is a petty, petty company if you cross them.

I honestly just think they forgot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I honestly just think they forgot.

As of Infinity War they definitely remembered, Drax has a scene where he is about to go after Thanos but Mantis puts him to sleep because they don't want to blow the element of surprise.

Drax definitely stands out to me as someone who should've at least had a Wanda-like moment where he gets to have a quick showdown with Thanos but it never happens.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Don't worry, I'm sure the Russo's have an explanation as to why Drax didn't get to fight Thanos.

Nov 6, 2002

He already got his rear end kicked by Thanos' underling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure the Russo's have an explanation as to why Drax didn't get to fight Thanos.

Drax was too strong for Thanos because he's totally so strong, even though we're not actually going to show it in a meaningful way.