Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Poor Sean Duffy resigning from congress to spend more time with his family. He's the reality tv guy who went on to complain about how hard it was to raise a family with his 6 figure salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It won’t end meat consumption but if this gets price competitive then hell yea woke millennials and gen-z will be devouring these things. gently caress the meat industry anyway.

Pussy liberals are a big part of the plant-based meat craze, but I'm sure it's also in large part from boomers who ate too much red meat being instructed to cut back.

I had an Impossible Whopper and it tasted as bad as a normal Whopper, meaning, if I'm craving a fast-food burger I won't know the difference. Totally okay with it on the off-chance I'm at a BK. Now if only Five Guys or Shake Shack would have one though, would taste less like chemicals.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

A Bad Poster posted:

It reminds me of the stuff that the diamond lobby has gotten the government to make up about artificial and lab grown diamonds.

lol, wait what?

What are they saying?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

lol, wait what?

What are they saying?

They're not real diamonds, you see you have to look for this particular mark that proves that the diamond was mined by totally not slave labor in africa.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I actually like the taste of cheap fast food burgers even though I rarely eat them. I hope McDonalds comes out with an answer to the Impossible Whopper soon.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Just one poll, but clusterfuck ahoy!

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1166033264093618177?s=19

Apparently Biden has the olds (33%), but he's tied with Andrew Yang (6%) for the youngs. This poll's a bit off compared to the others, which basically had Biden +10. Margin of error is borderline nutso at 5.7%.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 26, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1166035028540833792?s=21

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:yeshaha: go the gently caress home, Joe

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Just one poll, but clusterfuck ahoy!

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1166033264093618177?s=19

Apparently Biden has the olds (33%), but he's tied with Andrew Yang (6%) for the youngs. This poll's a bit off compared to the others, which basically had Biden +10. Margin of error is borderline nutso at 5.7%.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m all on board with science meat. Lately, I’ve made significant changes to my diet, including at least a day of not eating anything meat.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

I’m all on board with science meat. Lately, I’ve made significant changes to my diet, including at least a day of not eating anything meat.
Cheetos are not meat. The most brilliant of loopholes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’ve been bbqing exclusively using the beyond meat patties this summer and even my MAGA uncle-in-law (who told me only pussy liberals are vegan) couldn’t tell the difference and loves them.

I made a mixed-veggie dish last night and tossed in some of the hot Italian beyond meat sausages (and trader joes soy chorizo) and it was delicious.

It won’t end meat consumption but if this gets price competitive then hell yea woke millennials and gen-z will be devouring these things. gently caress the meat industry anyway.

My local grocery just started stocking Beyond Meat (or maybe I just now noticed it). I tried the burgers, pan fried in a cast iron skillet with minimal toppings, and wasn't a fan. It looks a lot like raw beef, and has a reasonably beefy texture, but the smell and taste are way different and it doesn't brown as well. It's got a weird sort of metallic smell to it that I think is a combination of the peas and coconut oil they use. I may try it on a Foreman grill to see if that cooks it any better.

The ground beef substitute in burritos is great though. Load it up with enough toppings and it's close enough to beef that I'm happy. Still looks kind of weird; it would probably be great for sloppy joes where the sauce will mask the pink color.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I switched to mostly turkey burgers a while ago so I'll be curious to try this when it comes around. I was at a restaurant on Saturday that had it available but I wasn't really in the mood for a burger.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So the wife is a vegetarian. Some of the products out there are good, some are horrible. The Beyond burgers are reasonably decent, with enough seasoning/sauce on them. The "chicken" products are mostly good, especially the ones derived from mushrooms. Those ironically, taste almost exactly like chicken. The "riblets", those are identical to the McRib. So much so, I wonder if McDonalds ever really used "meat" for those.

Bacon... Well, bacon is NOT right. That is the thing that nightmares are made of. The dog won't even consider eating it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Most fake-bacon is awful. The beef bacon they served at Deid is the closest to decent I've had. I've heard they have an agreement to serve the real thing now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holocaust bloopers posted:

what up catholic buddy

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ASAPI posted:

So the wife is a vegetarian. Some of the products out there are good, some are horrible. The Beyond burgers are reasonably decent, with enough seasoning/sauce on them. The "chicken" products are mostly good, especially the ones derived from mushrooms. Those ironically, taste almost exactly like chicken. The "riblets", those are identical to the McRib. So much so, I wonder if McDonalds ever really used "meat" for those.

Bacon... Well, bacon is NOT right. That is the thing that nightmares are made of. The dog won't even consider eating it.

A cafe near my house does vegan deep fried “ribs” which I’m pretty sure are just beer battered seitan w/ spices. Honestly they’re pretty good as a bar snack, should ask if they’re willing to make a sandwich out of them.

I love meat but am definitely interested in eating less of it mostly for environmental reasons, luckily I’ve got 2 really good vegan restaurants walking distance from my place. Fake future meat, best meat. :science:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 26, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Most fake meat (especially tofu based stuff) is awful. I try to go meatless 1-2 nights a week and there's enough good vegetarian recipes out there from the Mediterranean and India/SE Asia that I don't have to pretend that tofu chicken nuggets are palatable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Turkey bacon is amazing and I'll fight anyone about that. The fat strips are replaced with white meat strips and it makes for, to me, a more "hefty" strip of bacon. If at all possible I always substitute turkey bacon.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

KFC is going to be testing out Beyond Fried Chicken in Atlanta tomorrow. Any Atlanta goons willing to test it for science?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The choice of color for that packaging is some extremely self-aware, or extremely non-self-aware, marketing.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

psydude posted:

Most fake meat (especially tofu based stuff) is awful. I try to go meatless 1-2 nights a week and there's enough good vegetarian recipes out there from the Mediterranean and India/SE Asia that I don't have to pretend that tofu chicken nuggets are palatable.

I just refuse to eat the tofu versions of things. The texture is all crazy and it completely lacks flavor, despite what was "infused" in it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

EBB posted:

The choice of color for that packaging is some extremely self-aware, or extremely non-self-aware, marketing.

is there a difference

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

ASAPI posted:

I just refuse to eat the tofu versions of things. The texture is all crazy and it completely lacks flavor, despite what was "infused" in it.

That tofu poo poo like tofurkey and all that garbage set fake meat back years. It's just the loving worst.

And I like tofu, but that poo poo is just terrible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vasudus posted:

is there a difference

IT'S MADE OF CHICKEN!

:negative:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah tofu when cooked right or with the right dish can be pretty good, but poo poo like tofurky is awful.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So if one were to invest in a faux meat company, which one is best?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

GoGoGadget posted:

I think the impossible burger is the better burger, but beyond seems to have a wider variety of products. Gardein stuff is also pretty good.

No idea how that translates to "is a good investment" because stock valuations are often insane.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

GoGoGadget posted:

Gardein (sp?) was mentioned. Quorn is also not bad. Then there is the standard of Morning Star, but that is crap compared to the two I mentioned and Impossible/Beyond, which are the current reigning champions.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, when does the first super vegan show up saying how they don't eat any meat imitation foods for "reasons"?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
When I visited my second cousin in LA they took me and my friend out for supper at the vegan only place and the chicken sandwich I got tasted pretty good. Bland, but it didn't taste bad.

Also I leaned there I like kale a lot

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

So, when does the first super vegan show up saying how they don't eat any meat imitation foods for "reasons"?

Vegans who frown on people for eating things that are supposed to resemble meat have been a thing forever dude

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Fallom posted:

Vegans who frown on people for eating things that are supposed to resemble meat have been a thing forever dude

Think he means in the thread.

As someone who's been vegan for six years or so... Engh? *Shrug*

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I was inspired to eat fakemeat for dinner today and got some Gardein "chicken" strips; I have to say they're pretty drat good even down to the texture and appearance.

My Whole Foods also had this: https://thespoon.tech/watch-out-beyond-meat-u-k-s-meatless-farm-is-heading-to-u-s-whole-foods/ so I had to grab some to try.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 26, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Crakkerjakk posted:

I think the impossible burger is the better burger, but beyond seems to have a wider variety of products. Gardein stuff is also pretty good.

No idea how that translates to "is a good investment" because stock valuations are often insane.

See Uber's IPO, lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/pauldemko/status/1166100303755784192?s=19

Eat the rich - it's the only ethical consumption under capitalism

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fallom posted:

Yeah my sister is one of those. You'd think saying "Hey I'm moving over to a more plant based diet and it's cool there are ways to do it that make it more palatable for people who are life long meat eaters" would get you some kind of encouraging reaction instead of being called a shitlord for eating meat but :shrug:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Crakkerjakk posted:

Think he means in the thread.

As someone who's been vegan for six years or so... Engh? *Shrug*

Nah, I meant in general. I've only lived in major meat producing areas so my exposure to vegan stuff is slim.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Elmnt80 posted:

Nah, I meant in general. I've only lived in major meat producing areas so my exposure to vegan stuff is slim.

Yeah, it's totally a thing. Any particular thing you can do in your life will always have people who have to be the ones who are doing it hardest and insist everyone else is less than they are.

It sucks, but that's people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Retrowave Joe posted:

KFC is going to be testing out Beyond Fried Chicken in Atlanta tomorrow. Any Atlanta goons willing to test it for science?

Ill have a trip report tommorow, my coworkers and I are going for lunch and hopefully dont regret it