Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I gotta agree with most of Mogamu's points in a video he made about people quitting.
Trying to make money on Youtube is hard and weird.
DE puts out stuff that in informative, friendly and funny. So there's no need for a "I'll read the patch notes for you" video generally.
And there's not the kind of weird mechanical stuff that made me in like Destiny look for videos of "How the gently caress do I do this event? Get this exotic? Do this strike properly?"

I mean, I'd also like there to be more lore and context and just like, world. But I don't read codex entries so clearly I'm not that bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Destiny has a lot more structured content - stuff like raids and strikes, things that have or had broad equivalents in Warframe but have never been a focus. I think if DE had continued with a focus on Trials and cinematic quests instead of pivoting to open world in 2017, the game and content creators focused on it would probably look very different today.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Destiny is very flawed, you better know what make it work and not import the bad with the good.

It would be more fun to look at Disgaea, that have things like "item world" dungeons, that would be fun in a game like warframe.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tei posted:

Destiny is very flawed, you better know what make it work and not import the bad with the good.

It would be more fun to look at Disgaea, that have things like "item world" dungeons, that would be fun in a game like warframe.

I know DE wouldn't go so far as to do this, but I don't want to do a 30m survival mission in my weapon to get an extra 2% damage, okay.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the april fools joke should have been serious :colbert:

warframe needs multiple axis of randomness (in endgame content), and PoE needs better player characters and useful public squadding

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Letting players grind to a reasonable amount to make them super overpowered needs to also work against the innate RNG mechanics. Transmute comes from Simaris kind of get there but they don’t ensure a rare mod in the outcome to my understanding. For rivens, players could perhaps add forma to a riven to reset its cycles, lock a single stat, or even allow the stats to be randomized by the mission itself rather than be pre-baked into your load-out.

Pablo will likely come up with something better, although he’s not so much on the game economics side of the house... yet.

Also, as a Warframe whale I give out slots and catalysts and other things on occasion to clan members because besides throwing thousands of plat at rivens farmed and arbitraged I don’t have much to use honestly for a lot of plat that wouldn’t also require me to grind out more stuff yet again for chasing MR basically. Ask in clan chat as a newb for slots and taters and maybe a whale like myself will be online.

Warframe doesn’t appeal much IMO to complete jerks because they tend to play PvP games and competition is what tends to make people very selfish. It may not be the most financially sound decision to not be good at PvP but I’m curious how many players will be on Fortnite in another 3 years while the Warframe community continues to grow and sustain its culture fairly alright.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

necrobobsledder posted:

I’m curious how many players will be on Fortnite in another 3 years while the Warframe community continues to grow and sustain its culture fairly alright.

I don't know how much you know about Fortnite, but they are stealing left and right from other games "you play forever", in addition to aquiring all the young new gamers. Unless Epic fucks up massively obv.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

prefect posted:

I am a beneficiary of the Ignis Wraith program, and it is my favorite gun, to the point where I worry that I use it too much.
I've started shoving forma into mine so I have something good in the primary slot that A: doesn't need much fine aiming, and B: can equip Amalgam Serration. It's really started to come alive now that I've got a few forma in and can fit Amalgam Serration and Split Chamber and a bunc hof other stuff

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I don't know how much you know about Fortnite, but they are stealing left and right from other games "you play forever", in addition to aquiring all the young new gamers. Unless Epic fucks up massively obv.

Seems like all the Epic games have the dual progress tracks for each season. As a free player, you see everything you're missing out on and you have to play a TON to max out your rank each cycle.

Warframe has one track, no paid options and gives you weeks to catch up.

Epic keeps stealing from other games and making a worse version.

Also, I'm still salty about trying to get people into Fortnite before the PUBG mode because Save The World was a ton of fun.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Not a fan of fortnite at all, but isn't one of the things they do better than most is update the content in their game regularly and substantially?

This is one thing I wish devs of the games I like would learn to do.

Looking especially at you, :frontear:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

isn't fortnite some nightmare of crunch though

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

if it's just one team then probably, if they've organized into like four teams who sequentially push out updates maybe not. both scenarios sound rough.

The last second of this Gauss profile video has a little easter egg that I really hope is a real thing.

E: aww nevermind, it's a good shot to sneak in but I thought that was a Grineer on a kdrive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb9JKmJ5-6g

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 26, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Berke Negri posted:

It is a nightmare of crunch that relies on a squad of rotating contract workers who they burn out within 9-12 months only to toss them aside and bring in new ones. Also a lot of the new content is either hated by the community (the mechs they brought in recently), sponsored content, or both. And also a lot of it is just new things in the store like the NFL skins that only lasted during the promotion or the Nike skins.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
On the one hand, the various Warframe streamers are right: Warframe releases major content updates like once a year and they're often mostly flash and maybe a week or two worth of new gameplay even if you're playing fairly casually. There are mini-updates in between but they're usually just new frames or weapons. There's still virtually nothing in the game that tests you on the limits of warframe / gun modding, on mastery of the movement system, nothing besides Kuva that serves as an evergreen reward, etc.

On the other hand there's something very telling about the comparisons to, say, the regularity of updates in Fortnite or Path of Exile or whatever -- the devs of Fortnite in particular are notoriously miserable, whereas DE's work on Warframe is something they seem to enjoy and cheerfully share with their playerbase and the whole game is, at least seemingly, a passion project for everyone who works on it.

Warframe absolutely needs something for veteran players to do with themselves, even if it's just more content that's akin to "how many Eidolon hunts can you squeeze into 50 minutes of night" or whatever -- some metric to test yourself against and a reward structure that gives you at least a little extrinsic incentive to do it. I'd also very much prefer it if cinematic quests and other lore dumps came around a bit more often.

But I'm not going to poo poo on DE for the pace of their updates if it turns out to be a by-product of their having a healthy work environment, which I strongly suspect it is. I'll reserve that level of criticism for truly baffling design decisions like reverting the semi-auto Ogris change or the new, worse-than-the-old-one Syndicate screen. :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad de works at the pace they do because it enables them to actually enjoy doing what they do and work on weird new poo poo that ends up defining the game even further

if some pissy youtubers who get most of the new poo poo for free immediately because they're 'partners' anyways are mad about it they can shove it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
clem grakata clem
(hopefully) clem grakata k-drive clem?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its just not a very good game to stream as a job. infrequent updates, very few regular viewers on twitch, not much room to showcase skill and separate yourself from others.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Kesper North posted:

clem grakata clem
(hopefully) clem grakata k-drive clem?

Grakata k-drives are exactly what you'd think they are

Grakatanetta when

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Cactus posted:

This is one thing I wish devs of the games I like would learn to do.

Berke Negri posted:

yeah, pretty sure other devs have tried the fortnite "schedule" and were like "this is actually loving horrendous and won't work if you give even the slightest poo poo about your employees health, mental or otherwise"

which makes me appreciate Steve saying "this is the bonkers poo poo that we hope to do, but not at a schedule that will leave us as burned out human wreckage"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I take it from the trailer release that the update is imminent?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they are aiming for wednesday so probably thursday or friday

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steve also said when nerding out on Twitter last week he's probably going to phone stream when they're finalising the build.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Awesome! posted:

they are aiming for wednesday so probably thursday or friday
Megan said on todays stream that they were aiming for "the usual thursday"

so yeah, late friday unless things go super smooth

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FunkyFjord posted:

if it's just one team then probably, if they've organized into like four teams who sequentially push out updates maybe not. both scenarios sound rough.

The last second of this Gauss profile video has a little easter egg that I really hope is a real thing.

E: aww nevermind, it's a good shot to sneak in but I thought that was a Grineer on a kdrive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb9JKmJ5-6g

Holy poo poo, that is going to be a popular frame. People are going to be finishing missions before I figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

prefect posted:

Holy poo poo, that is going to be a popular frame. People are going to be finishing missions before I figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.

Nah. It's very unlikely that Gauss will actually be faster than existing methods for quickly completing missions, based on what they've shown so far. He's got one ability that makes him faster and he's supposed to be bad at turning and has mechanics based on what happens when he crashes into things, which is the exact opposite of what you want when you're trying to speedrun missions.

He's going to be about the aesthetic of going fast, not actually doing things quickly.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Gonna paint him like a bumblebee and just bump into poo poo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Gonna paint him like a bumblebee and just bump into poo poo.

My Hyldrin already looks like Bumblebee so I gotta find a new gimmick.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It would be cool to have some high end content that isn't piss easy, I think there's an argument to be made that if you've run out of things to do maybe you should just go play another game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Warframe is a game that benefits greatly from the occasional break between updates

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alright, another question, how do people manage their energy level and spam their abilities? I've got a Streamline mod, but that's still not enough for me to spam my abilities everywhere.

Also, I have to learn to not ragdoll through Grineer energy barriers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Warframe absolutely needs something for veteran players to do with themselves, even if it's just more content that's akin to "how many Eidolon hunts can you squeeze into 50 minutes of night" or whatever -- some metric to test yourself against and a reward structure that gives you at least a little extrinsic incentive to do it. I'd also very much prefer it if cinematic quests and other lore dumps came around a bit more often.

Yeah, some challenges to pit your strongest loadouts against and have them struggle would be good, but I think stuff like that might erode the friendly community a bit.

Think of how insane and sometimes toxic people here can get because a random didn't bring corrosive projection on some level 20 grineer mission, now amplify that by 1000x because they missed out on huge rewards and failed a mission because the teammate was the weak link and didn't bring a specific gun or had a none-meta loadout.

People are so chill because more teammates are just more enemies they can slaughter and they are 50x more powerful then needed to solo carry the team even if the other three are afk.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the good methods of energy regen come later in the game. early on the best way to deal with it is to get a frame that can heal itself and use hunter adrenaline or rage to get energy when you take damage.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It depends on the frame. Once you get to Second Dream you get access to an ability which gives energy over time (when you have a choice of things pick the one with energy) plus you can craft energy restore items. Some frames use rage/hunter adrenaline to get energy from taking damage. Plus maxed streamline and/or flow can keep you going for a while. Which frame are you using?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gauss looks amazing, but that's no naruto run

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On the one hand, the various Warframe streamers are right: Warframe releases major content updates like once a year and they're often mostly flash and maybe a week or two worth of new gameplay even if you're playing fairly casually. There are mini-updates in between but they're usually just new frames or weapons. There's still virtually nothing in the game that tests you on the limits of warframe / gun modding, on mastery of the movement system, nothing besides Kuva that serves as an evergreen reward, etc.

fortuna definitely was not just a week or two of playing the game casually

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Phobophilia posted:

Alright, another question, how do people manage their energy level and spam their abilities? I've got a Streamline mod, but that's still not enough for me to spam my abilities everywhere.

Also, I have to learn to not ragdoll through Grineer energy barriers.

A rank 4/5 Fleeting Expertise plus a rank 4/5 Streamline will reduce power costs to 25% (which is the maximum for non-channeled powers).

Rage and Hunter Adrenaline will give you energy when you take damage.

If you've got ~1600 plat to spare, the endgame option is Arcane Energize which gives you extra energy from pickups.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pomp posted:

It would be cool to have some high end content that isn't piss easy, I think there's an argument to be made that if you've run out of things to do maybe you should just go play another game

Agreed on all counts. I also think it's not so bad that some games are just easier and more casual. I personally am not Good At Games, and I appreciate that every activity in this game is something that I feel is pretty achievable even to a casual player. This is, fundamentally, a chill game, and I like that. I also really appreciate how friendly it is to solo players. I get the impression that DE likes to keep activities the same for all players, and instead tie 'endgame' peak performance to greater rewards for surviving more waves, finding more caches, and the like. As a product manager, that seems like a clever way of getting more mileage out of your dev-hours for the same content, even if it doesn't lead to the most diverse experience. (This game does, through the sheer variety of things you can do, also have a lot of diverse experiences, so if anything I feel like people are complaining that it is broad rather than deep.)

What they've showed of Railjack looks like it might require, or at least have the potential for, some fairly complex team coordination, which might fill the bill for non-piss-easy content. I actually really like the implementation of that. In Destiny, a high-end raid ends up being 'stand on plates', and those plates might have some loose symbolic connection to the lore behind the activity you're doing, but it doesn't feel like you're solving a spooky puzzle or doing anything cool. You're just coping with an annoying mechanic.

So in Railjack you're not jumping on plates, you're taking on something more akin to character roles. You've got the swashbuckling boarding party angle, you've got the starship captain angle, you've got the ops/eye in the sky covered with the ability to view and interact with the map the boarding party is on. The whole boarding-action/grand theft spaceship thing where you steal another ship and then part of your team flies it as backup to take out the big bad at the end? That's more than silly minigames, that's got actual narrative flow to it, which increases immersion, which makes the whole experience a lot cooler.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

fortuna definitely was not just a week or two of playing the game casually

Fortuna is easily the best update they've done since I started playing -- two new bosses, a bunch of new missions, a bigger and more lively open world than the Plains, and a shitload of professional voice acting -- and it's still really blatantly padded out with daily standing requirements and pure timesink grinds like Toroids (especially before the patch that made them drop from Raknoids), as well as having some disappointing misfires even in the content they clearly spent the most time on (Profit-Taker is an interesting step forward in terms of the history of DE boss design, but it's not much fun in itself and there's not much to gain from running it).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Not much to gain, a lot of time to lose?

Would you say it's a ... Profit-Taker??? :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i just don't think a hardcore endgame is really in the cards, not without changing a whole lot of systems and balance

even then theres still been an major update like every 4-6 weeks this year (lull around tennocon of course) and empyrean is like two months away, to me coming from at least the online games ive played that's a pretty aggressive release schedule