Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Has anyone here used DMS to migrate their Mongo database to DocumentDB? One of my migration tasks is horribly slow (which makes sense, the table is 190gb large) and it has a nasty tendency to silently fail partway through the multihour process. I tried changing the task settings with the CLI to enable debug logs, but it just gives me an “invalid task settings JSON” message when I try. Any way to get details on why it’s a bad input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Agrikk posted:

-snip-

Also: get your sleep and eat well the day before and have stuff to snack on during your on-site loop. The five hours [or whatever it is these days] can be a grueling affair and you are best to be well-rested and well nourished.

Awesome! Thanks for that as I've been very focused on having everything answered "right" but our TAM can't know everything, but he knows who to ask to find out and that's what I imagine they want to see.

Also on the rest thing; AWS are paying for my travel and stay to London and have recommended I sleep in a hotel the night before, so I'd be insane to not take it up. Otherwise it's a 5am train which isn't a good idea.

I'll take note of the snacks too, am I allowed to take in notes? I know it's not an exam but most interviews it's only my CV/résumé that's in front of me, but they've done all that in the screening process.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
You can bring in anything you want, but you are under NDA so you might not be able to take any notes out of the interview space.

It’s enforced only when we talk about future roadmap type stuff but know that it does happen.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Cancelbot posted:

Awesome! Thanks for that as I've been very focused on having everything answered "right" but our TAM can't know everything, but he knows who to ask to find out and that's what I imagine they want to see.

Don't focus on knowing stuff. At most, 2 of your interviewers will be spending only part of your interview on technical skills. If your interviewers aren't poo poo it won't be "recite this man page" and will instead focus on having you tell interesting technical stories from your background and digging into how well you actually know what you volunteered as something you know about. You might get some of the interviewers favorite networking/OS/database fundamental questions but if you don't know already cramming probably isn't going to get you there.

Your stories are much more important and you need to be ready for follow-up questions on the scope of your role, actions you took, results you achieved, impact on your business, what you could have done differently, etc, etc. All of your interviewers will be assessing this.

Good luck!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
^^^ this as well.

If you have “migrated from on-perm to a datacenter” at the top of your resume you can me very certain that I am going to grill you on it:

- what was your role?
- how did you contribute?

Not “your team” but “you”. If the next word out of your mouth isn’t “I...” then I’m now mad at you, and as your interviewer that’s a bad thing.

- what did success look like?
- what would you do different next time? (What did you learn from this experience?)

It is really apparent to us if you were an active driver of the engagement or if you were a water-carrier.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

During my technical screen I was told the same thing, they directed me towards putting things more in "I" terms as I did indeed do things and lead people etc. they told me I was being too diplomatic about it, of course a platform migration is a "we" thing but they only care about what I did to make it a success. Fortunately I am a driver of change throughout my career but British politeness & interviews tend to be anti self-promotion, the ESM told me to be a massive show-off for the onsite.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 27, 2019

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
“My role...”
“Thank you for applying to Amazon. We’ll be in touch”
“Uh....”

I’ve done like... 6 migrations or extensions of different applications and platforms but had different roles each time so it’s hard for me to pick a particular one. Each one is a distinct war movie with different actors, different resources, etc. and because they were across time and so many met failures because the companies were ailing my interviews unintentionally sound like I’m this guy I’ve realized.

“Entire production databases were lost”
“We have flattened production accounts 5 times before and have become exceedingly efficient at it”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Has anyone here used DMS to migrate their Mongo database to DocumentDB? One of my migration tasks is horribly slow (which makes sense, the table is 190gb large) and it has a nasty tendency to silently fail partway through the multihour process. I tried changing the task settings with the CLI to enable debug logs, but it just gives me an “invalid task settings JSON” message when I try. Any way to get details on why it’s a bad input?

Figured this out: AWS expects you to append file:// to reference a local file for input, unlike literally every other program I’ve used. gently caress off, AWS.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are you sure? this looks kinda weird
code:
/home/fool/butts.jsonfile://

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:negative: s/ap/pre

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
If it makes you feel any better, it's also sometimes fileb:// !

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
For AWS Step Functions, is there a way to allow other tasks to continue if a failure occurs in a parallel process and then just fail the parallel task "container" after everything else is done? I've got a series of file movements, extracts, etc. going followed by a simple ETL ingestion (Glue) in three parallel flows and I'd rather not have the whole thing die if an ETL task fails, since it clips what would otherwise be other perfectly valid running processes. I can sequester all the Glue tasks into a secondary parallel task, but then I'm losing out of some available processing time due to some file sets taking longer than others.

Do I just have to have all the jobs have a catch that touches off a simple "blank" task and then end? If I do, I don't want the whole parallel task to succeed.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You could just remove that entire process from your step function and trigger it another way like triggering the lambda via API calls. Or pushing messages to a queue. That’s how I’d handle a fragile process like that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Does anyone have any blogs they recommend on implementing federated IAM roles from directory services user groups via hashicorp vault's oidc (or another open source product)? We've got short lived CLI assumed role tokens working (this is neato) and SSH keys too but the oauth piece isn't nearly as well documented. We're trying to make directory services the source of truth. I found a blog from several years ago which talks about some of it but nothing recent. Difficulty: govcloud, otherwise I'd look at adfs.

I'm also investigating pre-shared keys as a second factor or yubi or some other method of having people not have to type in passwords. Gettin' real tired of loading up my google authenticator multiple times a day. There's a pretty astonishing lack of detail on the backend infra of implementing SSO for use with AWS for both console and ec2 instances and workspaces - mostly, I assume, because AWS doesn't offer a native solution and doesn't want to play favorites.

Related: Is there really no way to share workspaces? Not even if we use directory services and pinky-swear not to assume a user role? Since they take several minutes to boot, are there convenient ways to turn them on/off on a timer (lambda?) and provision them for specific users with an env as part of an onboarding process?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 29, 2019

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Got my TAM interview confirmation with all the associated details now, next Friday is my loop day.

Two questions;
1. Why do AWS folk refer to the interviews as "loops"?
2. The TAM test is... suspiciously easy. I don't think I can mention the contents but Agrikk this seems trap-like (but also not a trap). I appreciate I'll get an hour dedicated to the decisions I've made but I thought it'd be meatier.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

It’s not a trap. AWS doesn’t play interview games. Our questions are straightforward and you won’t see “why is a man hole cover round?” questions anywhere.

If you found it easy then congratulations: you are exactly who we are looking for. :D

Edit:
And they are loops because interviews are ultimately an iterative process: if we like you and think you have Amazon qualities, we will keep cycling you through positions until we find a fit for you.

But due to the revamped screening process, a loop is more of a straight line these days.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 29, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cancelbot posted:

1. Why do AWS folk refer to the interviews as "loops"?

Not an AWS person, but whenever I hear people talk about it I think of "feedback loops" where each interview is a loop, and the results of the previous one is fed into the next one.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anyone ever run into the issue of receiving "Server refused our key" when attempting to login to a machine? It worked fine a couple days ago and everyone with access to the machine swears they've not been in it but I receive that when trying to login with the appropriate key now.

AWS provides this as a resolution of placing code into user data to write the public key into the authorized_keys file:
https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/ec2-server-refused-our-key/

This does not work for me. I thought perhaps the server didn't have the cloud-init package installed so I put `yum -y install cloud-init` into user data and started the instance and then stopped and tried the adding of the key again to no avail.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. The only thing I can think of is that the /home/centos/.ssh/authorized_keys file is somehow corrupt.

Anyone have any ideas? Of course I did not take an AMI of the machine when it was in a healthy state as I should have.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You can take an image now then fire up an instance using that AMI and use a known good key.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

deedee megadoodoo posted:

You can take an image now then fire up an instance using that AMI and use a known good key.

I tried that and still got the same error. I did use the same key when I launched it. I guess I could try it with a different key.

Edit: Created a new key. Launched an instance using the AMI of the "bad server" and still receive "Server refused our key" when attempting to login.

I've tried using both cloud-init and a general bash script to copy the public key into the /home/centos/.ssh/authorized_keys file and neither seem to work. Would that indicate that the file could be corrupt? user-data executes as root, right? So it shouldn't be a permissions issue? Not that I changed permissions on that file or directory structure anyway. This just happened out of the blue seemingly for no reason.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 30, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Riffing on your corrupt file theory, openssh is (rightly) very paranoid about file permissions. So maybe the .ssh dir or authorized_keys file is being created with inappropriate ownership or permissions? It should be 700 / 600 respectively and owned by the same user as the parent home directory. It's easy for these to be set overly broad in provisioning scripts because the defaults are usually like 755 / 644. If those didn't exist at all and were created as root during cloud-init, they probably have the wrong ownership and permissions unless you are actually logging in directly as root. Which is a bad idea, and also you're probably getting blocked by your sshd_config denying root login.

Also a simple thing, but make sure you are using the right username for your AMI.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 30, 2019

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Riffing on your corrupt file theory, openssh is (rightly) very paranoid about file permissions. So maybe the .ssh dir or authorized_keys file is being created with inappropriate ownership or permissions? It should be 700 / 600 respectively and owned by the same user as the parent home directory. It's easy for these to be set overly broad in provisioning scripts because the defaults are usually like 755 / 644. If those didn't exist at all and were created as root during cloud-init, they probably have the wrong ownership and permissions unless you are actually logging in directly as root. Which is a bad idea, and also you're probably getting blocked by your sshd_config denying root login.

Also a simple thing, but make sure you are using the right username for your AMI.

That makes sense. This issue, I've discovered, is actually impacting any machine that uses this particular key pair. I'm using centos to login and my ppk file hasn't changed. I had someone else try to login using their ppk from a completely different machine and they also get the same error. It makes me think that the key pair within AWS where it shows the fingerprint has become corrupt or some sort of weirdness.

For one of the machines, I heard from someone else that they still have an active SSH session up so I'm asking them to send me the contents of /home/centos/.ssh/authorized_keys file so I can compare to the original public PEM.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I'd nothing works consider spinning up a new instance and mounting the old volume on it to make sure the right key is set in authorized_keys and the file had the right permissions.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

So thankfully someone still had an SSH connection up to one of the impacted machines. I was able to jump onto her session and figure out that the permissions of /home/centos must have been changed. Once I changed them to 751, everything works fine to that machine.

Unfortunately, I still have one other machine in this same state. I've tried adding a script to user data to change permissions of /home/centos to 751 but that didn't seem to help. Will user data allow you to script the change of file permissions or is is somehow restricted from doing that as it could be a security risk?

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Couldn't you use SSM to get in? SSM doesn't rely on SSH IIRC as long as it's running the agent + has the IAM role, but you mentioned centos so there's a risk you dont have it. I don't know enough about userdata to know what user/permissions it has.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I’m sure you’ve figured it out by now but yes, your user data scripts execute as root. A common use case is to put configuration steps in the user data so instances can finalize their setup on start. In our use case the script downloads an ansible playbook on startup and executes that.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

AWS provided me with a script that had a bit more to it. Running that resolved the issue.

On another note, Is there a way to return only elastic IPs that are unattached through the CLI? I see where I can do an `aws ec2 describe-addresses` to return all elastic IPs. If I have to, I can script around that but thought perhaps I'm missing an easier way to only return unattached EIPs.

Writing a user-data script that will go find an unattached EIP and attach it to the EC2 instance when it starts.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
You'll want to look at filtering possibly network-interface-id
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/cli/latest/reference/ec2/describe-addresses.html

Why are you using elastic ips over just using the ip that the instance comes up with?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I think the EIPs in those situations are primarily used to facilitate security groups/ firewalls that live outside one’s VPCs. Having to do some back and forth tickets across companies to open up a firewall rule is a massive headache so I’ve oftentimes reserved a few EIPs, asked for exceptions for the lot of them, and moved on in life.

It’s usually better to reference other security groups in your rules if possible but that is just not feasible right now and we resort to IP-based ACLs and such.

For this scenario, it sounds like the desired UX is something like DHCP for EIPs. I wrote something similar by having an external service based on DynamoDB claim / lock an EIP and ran a periodic job that cleaned up the locks when instances were terminated. That may be overkill but it kept me from giving way too many permissions to my instance profiles.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah exactly regarding why use an EIP. If the public IP matters and needs to survive your instance being rebuilt for whatever reason (external white lists being the biggie) you’re gonna want that EIP.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Just got back from TAM interview - what an exhausting and exhilarating experience. I think I only flubbed a question once; it was mid-answer where I got asked about RAID which isn't my strong suit and I think I mixed 0 and 1 up. But the rest of the day I feel like I did relatively well. I told my stories, didn't repeat myself and went deep at the right times. I should know next week if it was enough.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

The interviews are rough, yep.

I hope the right thing happens for you!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

This is a voip telephony application running on the ec2 instances and our outbound carrier has to whitelist IPs to allow them to make calls.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

I loving got it! :woop: I'll be a Senior TAM in 2 months (notice period boo).

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 10, 2019

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cancelbot posted:

Congratulations!

Step Function question for the thread: What’s the best ASL for creating a catch that can send the failed task name and any error in a notification? I’ve played around with it a bit but for whatever reason playing with outputs and paths with $ variables just hasn’t clicked for me yet.

I have a few parallel tasks that I want to alarm if they fail, but want to catch the failure so it doesn’t stop the other tasks.

I also need to figure out how to eventually fail the whole parallel run at the end if one or more tasks failed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cancelbot posted:

That's really awesome. Congrats!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Cancelbot posted:

Congratulations Cancelbot!

:yotj:

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Cancelbot posted:

Congrats! :toot:

What org will you be in?

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Enterprise support I think... I've got the contracts & background check coming this week so I'll know for sure, but AFAIK It's in Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Congrats and shout when you get tired of your pager and want to be a lazy Solutions Architect, Agrikk never returns my calls.