Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Are you arguing that your new manager got you three points away from Spurs and that's a bad thing?
I reckon if Rafa played them at home he'd have beaten them 5-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Shrapnig posted:

Are you arguing that your new manager got you three points away from Spurs and that's a bad thing?

how could you possibly get to this stupid line of thinking?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Rafa is a loving genius, he's just weird and detached, and I do reckon someone more easygoing would have a better relationship with the owners. But he really did get hosed on the owner problems, the Hicks and Gilette situation was really bad. Like for real we were days away from administration and impending relegation, I can't stress that enough. I feel like I have to because it's been almost a decade now. Like Mike Ashley was probably just a quaint prick to him, after all that.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

The Liverpool CL win was a fluke, let's be honest. Rafa had nothing to do with that comeback, and he's won the Europa League with teams that weren't his.

lol

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The 2005 CL final might have been a massive fluke, but getting to that final with Liverpool’s 2004-2005 garbage squad was already a big feat.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Rafa is a loving genius, he's just weird and detached, and I do reckon someone more easygoing would have a better relationship with the owners. But he really did get hosed on the owner problems, the Hicks and Gilette situation was really bad. Like for real we were days away from administration and impending relegation, I can't stress that enough. I feel like I have to because it's been almost a decade now. Like Mike Ashley was probably just a quaint prick to him, after all that.

The only people covering the Hicks & Gillet were Liverpool partisans so I think most fans were just not in the loop with how genuinely bad things were. His ability to function as well as he did during that time despite all that says a lot.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Shrapnig posted:

The Liverpool CL win was a fluke, let's be honest. Rafa had nothing to do with that comeback, and he's won the Europa League with teams that weren't his.

still fuming 14 years later

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

pik_d posted:

So basically they don't want to hurt the refs feelings by overturning penalty calls.
No one wants to admit that having a couple of people sprint up and down the field with the players is no longer the best way to officiate a game.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
That kane penalty is such a loving penalty all you can do is lol

And on the other hand its about times spurs got hosed by var :twisted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cheese posted:

No one wants to admit that having a couple of people sprint up and down the field with the players is no longer the best way to officiate a game.

im of the opinion that instant replay has made several american sports more accurate but not more fun, and fun is more important

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im of the opinion that instant replay has made several american sports more accurate but not more fun, and fun is more important

Agreed, and if lolling at Mike Dean and his inept greek chorus ain't footie fun at its finest, then Annie hold me back.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Agreed, and if lolling at Mike Dean and his inept greek chorus ain't footie fun at its finest, then Annie hold me back.

Honestly the problem with officiating in major leagues is that there are 45 year old men who are 20 pounds overweight(this is really just an English thing, most of the referees in the rest of Europe are fairly trim), who can't physically keep up with the pace of play. Clattenburg was one of the few referees who trained like a footballer and he was one of the best referees in the world for a long time. Collina was razor thin the entire time he was officiating. Part of issue is is the abuse referees get so no one wants to be a referee anymore but look at this gently caress who thinks he should be officiating matches with 22 of the fittest people in the world.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Honestly the problem with officiating in major leagues is that there are 45 year old men who are 20 pounds overweight(this is really just an English thing, most of the referees in the rest of Europe are fairly trim), who can't physically keep up with the pace of play. Clattenburg was one of the few referees who trained like a footballer and he was one of the best referees in the world for a long time. Collina was razor thin the entire time he was officiating. Part of issue is is the abuse referees get so no one wants to be a referee anymore but look at this gently caress who thinks he should be officiating matches with 22 of the fittest people in the world.

It's not his fault Goldenballs was cancelled

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

That kane penalty is such a loving penalty all you can do is lol

And on the other hand its about times spurs got hosed by var :twisted:

it all evens out in the end

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shrapnig posted:

You know refs have to go through a fitness test every summer right?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

six!

six times!

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
It may not be a popular opinion, but one way to increase referee quality would be to pay them substantially more.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

CyberPingu posted:

You know refs have to go through a fitness test every summer right?

tell me more

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
That picture proves nothing since he has a similar build to taff when he was doing all that running.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Whatever happened to that dude, did he quit posting after he bullied fluo to death

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

kcer posted:

tell me more

Having a belly doesn't equate to having poor stamina...

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
please stop trying to tell me phil dowd has a reasonable physique for refereeing elite athletes, stop it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

Whatever happened to that dude, did he quit posting after he bullied fluo to death

After missing the whole of the 2015-16 season due to injury the PGMOL announced his retirement.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

kcer posted:

please stop trying to tell me phil dowd has a reasonable physique for refereeing elite athletes, stop it

He has a reasonable physique for refereeing elite athletes.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
phil dowd actually got so bad he failed the fitness test we're talking about

but keep going

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A yearly fitness test just means you train for a couple months and then get back on the chips and stella.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

kcer posted:

phil dowd actually got so bad he failed the fitness test we're talking about

but keep going

Taking the piss as you get more and more angry about this for some reason, but keep going.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

70k a year max to never have a parmo again and run about in yer spare time?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Is Trin still around?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bape Culture posted:

70k a year max to never have a parmo again and run about in yer spare time?

They must be so easy to soft bribe. Don't need to put anything in their bank account, just take them out every weekend, just hanging out with mates.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

tao of lmao posted:

Taking the piss as you get more and more angry about this for some reason, but keep going.

aye you're just pretending to be retarded xd

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They must be so easy to soft bribe. Don't need to put anything in their bank account, just take them out every weekend, just hanging out with mates.

Nothing suspect about a ref hanging out with players socially, sure.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

kcer posted:

aye you're just pretending to be retarded xd

Yep you figured it out. Check out the big brains on this guy.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I unironically think things would be better off if players were on better terms with the refs and there were some ways for them to do so. Not best mates who meet up at their local but at least somewhat genial relationship because it's really old and tedious how toxic it's become seemingly multiple times in every game.

I don't recall his name but there was that Aussie ref who recently left to go to the Championship IIRC and the players in his last game were congratulating him, telling him he was fair, he'll do well etc. He didn't come across as buddy-buddy but clearly had a positive relationship and respect from the players.

Yes, the refs are poo poo but they also make in a year what many of these players make in a week, who then swear and berate them, not to mention the fans and pundits constantly slagging them off.

Aside from the prestige of reffing in a top league and "love of the game," I don't know why people would get into that job and I think that's part of the reason why there's not a huge amount of talent coming up in those ranks (trin or someone with more direct experience please correct me if I'm wrong)

(Nice meltdown, yes I would like a side of curly fries etc.)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sticksy posted:

(Nice meltdown, yes I would like a side of curly fries etc.)

Don't do this, discussion is good and it was a good post.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Brony Car posted:

Is Trin still around?

He stopped pretending to follow football and now exclusively spends his time hyperventilating about sharks

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Time to get the experts view on referees....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZW-WOzY6Lk

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sticksy posted:

I unironically think things would be better off if players were on better terms with the refs and there were some ways for them to do so. Not best mates who meet up at their local but at least somewhat genial relationship because it's really old and tedious how toxic it's become seemingly multiple times in every game.

I don't recall his name but there was that Aussie ref who recently left to go to the Championship IIRC and the players in his last game were congratulating him, telling him he was fair, he'll do well etc. He didn't come across as buddy-buddy but clearly had a positive relationship and respect from the players.

He's reffed us twice and he's extremely poo poo.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
You were all warned, observe the ghosts of the a league thread

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress it looks like Southampton are playing a high press. RIP Ole it was nice for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Matt James owns except when he is a diving bitch