Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

super fart shooter posted:

So did anyone else know that if a peasant revolt captures your capital holding, they'll instantly butcher your whole court including any and all of your close family members and consort, cause I sure didn't

yeah, they don't take prisoners, so everybody just dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Don't lose wars to peasants they are very poorly armed.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
In my defense, my tribal hillfort is also very poorly armed to hold out against a huge horde of peasant rabble

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

So did anyone else know that if a peasant revolt captures your capital holding, they'll instantly butcher your whole court including any and all of your close family members and consort, cause I sure didn't

Can't really blame them tbh. My dynasties usually have it coming.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Honestly, I'm not even mad or anything, my dynasty will live on, it was just legit jaw dropping when I got like 18 death notifications all at once and the realization of what had happened as I started to click through them

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I feel like I'm coming to terms with this game now, doing pretty well with my Ireland start with no DLC.

However I have literally one more county to take until I can force the form Ireland title. I've been checking for people that will come to my court, are male and have strong claims but there are none for any of the counties left. I've also had my Chancellor working to fabricate claims and moving him occasionally to aid in those firing. Given it's been almost 10 years of waiting I should have tried to breed in one of those claimants but it is too late for that I guess as I'm impatient.

Is there anything else I can do to push a claim? I just need one more county (I think?) as I have 49% of all of them now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I feel like I'm coming to terms with this game now, doing pretty well with my Ireland start with no DLC.

However I have literally one more county to take until I can force the form Ireland title. I've been checking for people that will come to my court, are male and have strong claims but there are none for any of the counties left. I've also had my Chancellor working to fabricate claims and moving him occasionally to aid in those firing. Given it's been almost 10 years of waiting I should have tried to breed in one of those claimants but it is too late for that I guess as I'm impatient.

Is there anything else I can do to push a claim? I just need one more county (I think?) as I have 49% of all of them now.

Is it in a duchy you can create? That gives you de jure claims on titles.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've been doing an Ironman run in Byzantium and struggling to get back into power after messing up the new inheritance system. I don't like how your heir can constantly change, to the point you have to babysit the inheritance screen, they really should lower the rate electors switch. And if the imperial successor is a relative then I should just get to play as them instead of being stuck in the boonies since I didn't switch nominations fast enough.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

I've been doing an Ironman run in Byzantium and struggling to get back into power after messing up the new inheritance system. I don't like how your heir can constantly change, to the point you have to babysit the inheritance screen, they really should lower the rate electors switch. And if the imperial successor is a relative then I should just get to play as them instead of being stuck in the boonies since I didn't switch nominations fast enough.

I don't remember ever getting sidelined because I had nominated a different relative than what actually got elected, you sure?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think thats what happened, its pretty far in the past now and I'm on Ironman so I can't check.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Honestly, I'm not even mad or anything, my dynasty will live on, it was just legit jaw dropping when I got like 18 death notifications all at once and the realization of what had happened as I started to click through them

It's a bit weird though, since the peasants must be way more thorough than soldiers. Since they always get EVERYONE, while if you or I assault a capital, we'd be lucky to get even a few captives.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Technowolf posted:

Is it in a duchy you can create? That gives you de jure claims on titles.

I just took Cil Dara which is part of a two county duchy so I might be able to grab that title. Although will I personally need to hold it to do that? It’s currently held by a vassal of mine.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

I just took Cil Dara which is part of a two county duchy so I might be able to grab that title. Although will I personally need to hold it to do that? It’s currently held by a vassal of mine.

Nah, you can create it as long as 51% of the counties are in your realm. They can belong to vassals, and it won't cause any issues

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Major Isoor posted:

Nah, you can create it as long as 51% of the counties are in your realm. They can belong to vassals, and it won't cause any issues

And I do it but going into that county, clicking de jure and then form duchy or something? Like the same way I would do it with Ireland when the time come.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

And I do it but going into that county, clicking de jure and then form duchy or something? Like the same way I would do it with Ireland when the time come.

Yeah, same menu - it'll say "usurp" instead of "crewte" though. You won't be able to do it if the current holder is at war though, from memory

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

what i did for the first half of the game was just only appoint myself and my heir as commanders, no one else could muster enough votes

after a while all the stuff your dynasty does makes it win ahtomatically and you dont have to care anymore

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Davincie posted:

what i did for the first half of the game was just only appoint myself and my heir as commanders, no one else could muster enough votes

after a while all the stuff your dynasty does makes it win ahtomatically and you dont have to care anymore

You can also just fill out your commanders and council with family and they'll generally vote for family. You may not necessarily get the exact heir you wanted but it's an easy way to maintain your grip on the empire.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My son became Emperor... and promptly stopped being my heir. I have no clue why, my inheritance is Primogeniture.

e: haha right, Imperial Elective is a different government type, so I can't just die and be the Emperor. However electors can steal my heirs and gently caress me over. This sucks, I just remembered why I never play Ironman.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 27, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ugh why doesn’t HIP have the iron century bookmark yet. get on it nerds!!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is it impossible to generate an imperial government on the random world generator now? Because I've tried like, twelve times in a row and haven't gotten one, despite having the box checked.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is it impossible to generate an imperial government on the random world generator now? Because I've tried like, twelve times in a row and haven't gotten one, despite having the box checked.

i always get one of each of the Byzantine style and the HRE style.

one game, they had pretty much split up India and most of Tibet between them.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
In my last try, I had a not-Byzantine "Empire of Karelia" show up in Scandinavia, with its capital in Vestisland. It took me a while to find it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I don’t really understand the appeal of random worlds, like the whole thing of these games is history? And seeing alternate histories?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

a fatguy bald spot posted:

I don’t really understand the appeal of random worlds, like the whole thing of these games is history? And seeing alternate histories?

It's not really my thing yet either but I may come around to it, who knows.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Think of random worlds as the Ultimate alt history.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I don’t play random worlds, but I can see why it could be fun. Once you get into the details, the game is kind of lovely at being historical, so going full fantasy isn’t that big a departure.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

What's a fun way to do shattered world? I was playing shattered where everyone was a count earlier and I found I was rapidly expanding my territory in every direction while the AI was kind of just doing nothing?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The AI is hesitant to dedicate to wars that are close. Count on count wars are usually a few hundred dudes vs their garrison + few hundred dudes. First guy raises his armies, gets into a fight, wins, and loses 200 guys. Now the others around him smell blood in the water, and piranha him because everyone has cassus belli. The AI doesnt want to be the first to be ripped apart, so the only ones getting attacked are those with bad Martial and low levies in the first years. After a couple decades, the consolidation cassus belli goes away, leaving a shitton of counts trying to grow with the old methods.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My one game with a shattered world had vikings reach far into Europe with their hyper aggression and event troops and then the realms around me popped heresies so I couldn't diplomatize with the biggest state near me, and then a religious revolt destroyed me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, same menu - it'll say "usurp" instead of "crewte" though. You won't be able to do it if the current holder is at war though, from memory

After checking I had 50% on two other duchies (needed 51%) and was still one short on counties. In the end I got about three claims in the space of 2 years and my character died but the heir inherited so it was all good.

I now just need to build up enough Piety to actually click the button to form Ireland. Do I get a free pass to change around duchy/county ownership when I do this? Or will I have scheme and piss people off to get things nicely setup?

My new character is genius and I just married another genius too so that’s exciting!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Red_Fred posted:

After checking I had 50% on two other duchies (needed 51%) and was still one short on counties. In the end I got about three claims in the space of 2 years and my character died but the heir inherited so it was all good.

I now just need to build up enough Piety to actually click the button to form Ireland. Do I get a free pass to change around duchy/county ownership when I do this? Or will I have scheme and piss people off to get things nicely setup?

My new character is genius and I just married another genius too so that’s exciting!

scheming and pissing people off is the name of the game! just because you get a promotion doesnt mean your vassals are happy if you take away half their poo poo (in fact it mostly just makes them more jealous that they didn't get promotions too)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Welp, my not-norse random world merchant republic run just got hosed over by someone else reforming the religion to be unable to raid and unable to have multiple wives.

I was literally having my chancellor forge a claim on my would-be-third holy site when it happened.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

awesmoe posted:

scheming and pissing people off is the name of the game! just because you get a promotion doesnt mean your vassals are happy if you take away half their poo poo (in fact it mostly just makes them more jealous that they didn't get promotions too)

Yeah that makes sense. It’s probably going to be easier to do once I’m King though right? Or should I get my stuff as organised as possible before I form the Kingdom?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah that makes sense. It’s probably going to be easier to do once I’m King though right? Or should I get my stuff as organised as possible before I form the Kingdom?
Not notably easier, really. In fact once you become king, people get -10 opinion for every duchy title you personally hold after the first two (so if you have 2 duchies thats fine, if you have 3 then everyone gets -10, 4 then -20 etc). You can make people pretty happy when you give them new duchies, tho, and you also dont have to give a gently caress how unhappy some rando count is unless he's your direct vassal, so who gives a poo poo?

Honestly just go for it - the game becomes a lot less fun when everything is super predictable and gameable. My most fun times playing the game have come from not really understanding things, making some mistake, and then having to scramble to deal with it all. Rulers come and go but dynasties are forever-ish!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

It basically boils down to some people have played the game SO MUCH that they have kind of exhausted every interesting scenario they can think of in the historical starts, but they still like the general feeling of playing the game, so why not shake things up? It's basically the same reason why married couples get into BDSM.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How much of the middle east do I need to control to enable the Outremmer decision?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SirPhoebos posted:

How much of the middle east do I need to control to enable the Outremmer decision?

The control requirement is “complete control of Near East region, County of Jerusalem in demesne.” If you type “Near East” into the location search tool (or indeed any other purely geographical or titular title like it), its outlines will be shown on the map.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

SirPhoebos posted:

all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

SirPhoebos posted:

ninjahedgehog posted:

The entire Arabian peninsula -- so the de jure kingdoms of Jerusalem, Syria, Arabia, Yemen, Iraq, al-Jazira, and then the duchy of Sinai. Egypt is optional, but if you control it when you form the empire it becomes de jure Outremer, and it's probably the richest kingdom in the entire game so you definitely want it.

You have to control the *entire* peninsula, so once you've met the de jure requirements it's time to go snipe hunting for random baronies. Expelling whatever Catholic holy order you don't have vassalized takes care of most of them, but there'll probably be the stray castle controlled by the Hashashin or some European kingdom that inherited it from one of your vassals. If you're not on Ironman just console yourself the baronies you need because gently caress that noise.

After that, congrats, you've basically beaten the game. Have fun using your new +20% damage to religious enemies bloodline to dunk on the Mongols or Timurids when they show up.