Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Virtually the only aspect Re: Ouroboros in the Sky games that feels explicitly left hanging is Star Door 14 in the 3rd. Otherwise their narrative purposes in FC and SC is more than covered, developed, and subsequently concluded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I actually agree that world building in general is a waste compared to actually developing your themes and is a crutch fantasy stories like to lean on rather then having any coherent themes that are worth a drat. Trails struggles with this quite a bit but I don’t think it’s as bad as it’s being made out to be.

Also Ouroboros owns and have the best fights and songs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s ultimately a matter of taste. There isn’t like anything inherently better about themes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if Ouroboros gets up its own rear end then the name just becomes more appropriate

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When it comes to world building and how to do it wrong my go to is always going to be FF13.....er, FF13-1. There's a goddamn bible attached to the gameplay of the game if you'd like to read it. The game doesn't need to show me all of the contents of what's in this background info, but it sometimes would be a better idea to show a little more than you tell.

Falcom will never get that bad, I think, even if Cold Steel 3 doesn't improve from 2's issues.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RevolverDivider posted:

Also Ouroboros owns and have the best fights and songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVHjkXa5Sc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

When it comes to world building and how to do it wrong my go to is always going to be FF13.....er, FF13-1. There's a goddamn bible attached to the gameplay of the game if you'd like to read it.

the codex also explains next to nothing of the world or how it functions, so it's a failure twice over

my favorite lore will always be The Buzzing from the Secret World but even that's more for its presentation than anything

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this version doesn't have the sick guitar for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNBt6z0q0g

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I find it hard to argue that Sky, at its core, doesn't have major redemption and dealing with the effects of the past themes going on.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's ultimately a matter of taste. There isn't like anything inherently better about themes

yeah, it's really easy to forget this. a lot of people ultimately don't really give a poo poo about any given works themes, and the consistency and clarity with which they are delivered. my dumb english major rear end loves that stuff, but many just want to chill out and have fun with a cool story and world and game. this is why i think that having arguments about a works quality are ultimately pointless. i'm never going to be able to make someone stop liking something they enjoyed, and really don't want to. same with making someone like something they didn't.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Charlie Bobson posted:

yeah, it's really easy to forget this. a lot of people ultimately don't really give a poo poo about any given works themes, and the consistency and clarity with which they are delivered. my dumb english major rear end loves that stuff, but many just want to chill out and have fun with a cool story and world and game. this is why i think that having arguments about a works quality are ultimately pointless. i'm never going to be able to make someone stop liking something they enjoyed, and really don't want to. same with making someone like something they didn't.

This is where I tell you I don't like Shakespeare.
(Most likely because he's writing in a semi-foreign language I can only partly understand, which makes a huge difference on how text actually reads...)

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

OddObserver posted:

This is where I tell you I don't like Shakespeare.
(Most likely because he's writing in a semi-foreign language I can only partly understand, which makes a huge difference on how text actually reads...)

thank u for coming up with such a perfect example because my dumb rear end sure couldn't

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trails having a greater level of "worldbuilding" relative to other JRPGs mostly comes across to me as just having greater breadth of dialogue and mining both individual stories and the overall setting over multiple games. The closest it comes to raw codex-esque stuff are the various books, but those are all optional and mostly long-run foreshadowing for other games anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah as far as I know the trails games don’t really go with any details of the past or the world itself just the people in it. But like not even on a cultural level on a mostly individual one.

That’s kind of the problem with worldbuilding in that it’s kind of a broad term. Like this isn’t worldbuilding like say Lord of the Rings

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can get not liking ouroboros but the worldbuilding in sky is super tied to its themes, its about the next generation moving on from past conflicts and the entire worldbuilding is about establishing all these past conflicts and old grudges. its fine if that mode of storytelling doesnt work for you, there's a lot of it, but there's a difference between not liking it and it not existing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said i personally love ouroboros. idk i can get them not being your jam or maybe being sold on the idea of trails being a like, down to earth/realistic jrpg series, but even sky 1 has agate and lawrench's five minutes sword duel where they steal a bunch of berserk panels in like, chapter 2, and leonhardt standing around going 'this play... is just like Back Then... i see.......'

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm about 60-70% certain that Ouroborous' main goal is reascending humans to their position before the great collapse. And i'm about 90% certain that the only people who understand that are the Grandmaster and maybe Campanella.

If there's an overarching theme to the series, as near as I can tell, it's a very simple "No man is an island", where the main thing is whether or not you can open up to other people and trust them. People that don't trust = bad, will eventually lose, people that do trust = good and are probably the protagonists, people that learn how to trust are saved/redeemed. People that lose their ability to trust eventually burn out and die. (Most of the members of the ILF) People with a warped sense of trust, e.g. in one person or institution, must evolve (Machias) or suffer (the Ironbloods---sadly, I can't see things ending well for any of them)

Both translated arcs so far have had themes against fascism, with the concept being that the person trying to coup the government doesn't have the capacity to trust the leadership of anyone else. They are corrupted by their inability to be out of control.

People that have had their trust absolutely abused are candidates for Enforcers. This is why Duvalie is not one despite her power. She trusts something. It's a warped and unhealthy trust, but it exists. This is a character that fascinates me. By the end of the Cold Steel arc, I fully expect Duvalie to either become an Enforcer or a playable character. Depending on if her trust gets destroyed, or if she decides to place it in people and not merely person.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

If there's an overarching theme to the series, as near as I can tell, it's a very simple "No man is an island", where the main thing is whether or not you can open up to other people and trust them. People that don't trust = bad, will eventually lose, people that do trust = good and are probably the protagonists, people that learn how to trust are saved/redeemed. People that lose their ability to trust eventually burn out and die. (Most of the members of the ILF) People with a warped sense of trust, e.g. in one person or institution, must evolve (Machias) or suffer (the Ironbloods---sadly, I can't see things ending well for any of them)

Both translated arcs so far have had themes against fascism, with the concept being that the person trying to coup the government doesn't have the capacity to trust the leadership of anyone else. They are corrupted by their inability to be out of control.

People that have had their trust absolutely abused are candidates for Enforcers. This is why Duvalie is not one despite her power. She trusts something. It's a warped and unhealthy trust, but it exists. This is a character that fascinates me. By the end of the Cold Steel arc, I fully expect Duvalie to either become an Enforcer or a playable character. Depending on if her trust gets destroyed, or if she decides to place it in people and not merely person.

Yeah, that fits; and I think also why there are so many adopted kids in the series.
(And Rean is having tons of difficulty because he can't fully embrace his adoptive family... because of distrust of himself).
Also Renne is able to embrace being family to Joshua and Estelle after she learns her parents weren't really responsible for the hell she went through.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will say part of the issue for Ouroboros, when I get to thinking about it, is Cold Steel. Maybe it's been a while, but by the time I finished SC, the members that got away I figured would appear later in some other installment and I'd take care of them there. Except, Ouroboros in Cold Steel is like any other major antagonist in Cold Steel; just fuckin around with you for a boss fight. They are not unique in this regard, so I don't wanna single the organization out, but they are more prominent in Cold Steel and they have more of the lion's share of no-consequence boss battles in the two games.

I'm just spoiling that chunk just in case we still have someone who's playing through the games.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just finished Ys 7. It's maybe because it's the 4th Ys game I've played back-to-back, but it started as my least favorite and ended as my least favorite entry. Then they had to go and force you to use your entire party for the final fight... oof. That's just the worst. I was also looking forward to something of a puzzle boss like in some of the other games, but maybe that's harder for them do do now that set magic abilities aren't part of the game.

I'm looking forward to 8, but I need a big break. I really like the top-down, 3d background / 2d character games; I wish there were more than than just the 3.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Captain Lavender posted:

I just finished Ys 7. It's maybe because it's the 4th Ys game I've played back-to-back, but it started as my least favorite and ended as my least favorite entry. Then they had to go and force you to use your entire party for the final fight... oof. That's just the worst. I was also looking forward to something of a puzzle boss like in some of the other games, but maybe that's harder for them do do now that set magic abilities aren't part of the game.

I'm looking forward to 8, but I need a big break. I really like the top-down, 3d background / 2d character games; I wish there were more than than just the 3.

The part that got your goat is something I most love in games, both in Trails the 3rd and in Ys Seven.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I was just ready to be done, and had neglected most of my guys. I think my real gripe is just that I had to do 2 phases without Adol.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm about 60-70% certain that Ouroborous' main goal is reascending humans to their position before the great collapse. And i'm about 90% certain that the only people who understand that are the Grandmaster and maybe Campanella.
Obviously with the Grandmaster firmly in charge.
Yeah, this is as good a motivation as any and it would make sense. It also would go in line with the point you make later about the inability to be completely in control. She's the same as Richard (sky FC), Weissmann and Osbourne in this regard.

quote:

People with a warped sense of trust, e.g. in one person or institution, must evolve (Machias) or suffer (the Ironbloods---sadly, I can't see things ending well for any of them)

A couple of the Ironbloods I hate almost as much as I hated Weissmann (:argh: rear end in a top hat :argh:) and I'll cheer when we finally put them down as the rabid dogs they are, looking at you Lechter and (CS2 spoilers) super secret Ironblood revealed at the end of Cold Steel 2. Machias' dad and Claire I'd be satisfied with a long prison sentence.

I only hope the gang manages to rescue/turn Millum beforehand, on the Joshua/Renne "they're a loving child soldier" precedent.
Er, how old are Millum and Altina again? Actual age matching apparent I hope.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

A couple of the Ironbloods I hate almost as much as I hated Weissmann (:argh: rear end in a top hat :argh:) and I'll cheer when we finally put them down as the rabid dogs they are, looking at you Lechter and (CS2 spoilers) super secret Ironblood revealed at the end of Cold Steel 2. Machias' dad and Claire I'd be satisfied with a long prison sentence.

:yikes: Err, do those last two start eating live puppies and babies in CS 3/4 and I just don't know about it yet? Because otherwise, holy poo poo that seems ridiculously excessive, considering that (Sky FC/SC/3rd) an actual perpetrator of a coup (and his second in command) gets off with a dismissal from the army and walking around free.

And in CS 2, Duke Albarea, who attempted to hold Machias as a political hostage in CS 1, who attacked the territory of a fellow Noble including the attempted murder of its lord, and the attacking of one of his own towns in retaliation for disloyalty (which resulted in a fatality) gets off with house arrest (in his gigantic manor) and removal as head of the household.

Not to mention that the PROTAGONISTS of the CS 1 and 2, the so-called "good guys", Class VII, do not apparently give even the slightest poo poo that (late CS 1/CS2) their friend committed several acts of robbery and terrorism, multiple counts of murder, attempted murder, hostage taking, and they keep talking about bringing him back to be their friend again like none of that happened.

Did I miss any actual CRIMES or heinous acts Machias' dad and Claire committed, because I'm not familiar with any, and so far in the series, actual crimes and terrible acts aren't punished nearly as harshly as that.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 27, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Claire committed the grave sin of (CS2 big spoiler) not mentioning to Rean that she thought Osbourne might be his dad.

Unforgivable.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
*spits in disgust*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They do serve a guy who is anime Otto Von Bidmark but comically evil

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Not to mention that the PROTAGONISTS of the CS 1 and 2, the so-called "good guys", Class VII, do not apparently give even the slightest poo poo that (late CS 1/CS2) their friend committed several acts of robbery and terrorism, multiple counts of murder, attempted murder, hostage taking, and they keep talking about bringing him back to be their friend again like none of that happened.

This was the precise moment when I thought 'they went with THIS?' and never really picked up CS2. I must admit I didn't like any of the characters in particular before that but their main motivation for CS2 was just so stupid.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That whole bit fell pretty flat for me too, because (CS1/2)I never really liked Crow to begin with, so Rean's speeches about how they were best buds really didn't land.

I still committed to CS2, because I needed to know how the cliffhanger got resolved and I want to know how the whole arc ends.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CharlestheHammer posted:

We and Olivert know how that largely because of a meeting held in a room in Liberl. I doubt he put the transcript of that meeting in the Imperial Chronicle. The (CS2 spoilers super secret Ironblood knows much of the plan. But how much did Carl Regnitz and Cap. Claire SPECIFICALLY know about his scheming? It doesn't seem like that much since they were completely out of the loop in CS 2.

Some Numbers posted:

That whole bit fell pretty flat for me too, because (CS1/2)I never really liked Crow to begin with, so Rean's speeches about how they were best buds really didn't land.

I still committed to CS2, because I needed to know how the cliffhanger got resolved and I want to know how the whole arc ends.

I'm not quite so committed to seeing the end of the arc, because that, along with some other things gives me some serious misgivings about where the story is going. I also may have seen a major spoiler for CS 3/4 which suggests one of my worse fears about where the story goes. I won't put that one out in this thread even behind spoiler tags.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 27, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Their main motivation for CS2 is "oh god there's a civil war all around us and it'd be cool if we and all our loved ones didn't die."

The stuff with that guy is just a very personal addendum to all of that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's a lot easier to sympathize with Claire and Carl serving the government and Osbourne when you find out how awful the Erebonian nobility is.

That being said, Osbourne being in control is also a terrible option, but as Stabbey said, Carl and Claire probably didn't know that Osbourne was working with Ouroboros and playing 10th dimensional chess against literally the entire continent.

On a different note, I honestly don't know which is the lesser evil between Ouroboros and Osbourne. They're both pretty vile.

I'm not quite so committed to seeing the end of the arc, because that, along with some other things gives me some serious misgivings about where the story is going. I also may have seen a major spoiler for CS 3/4 which suggests one of my worse fears about where the story goes. I won't put that one out in this thread even behind spoiler tags.
That's...worrying. I'm still going to eventually play CS3 and 4 (if it also gets released), but that really puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Nate RFB posted:

Their main motivation for CS2 is "oh god there's a civil war all around us and it'd be cool if we and all our loved ones didn't die."

The stuff with that guy is just a very personal addendum to all of that.

It happened too suddenly and the bit was so short it fell completely flat for me. Also the game seemed to be more focused on giant robots and you get to drive one! than the war itself. Might also be my dislike for the cast, I just don't care what will happen to them.

I played a bit of Zero with that broken translation and really liked it, tho. Will finish it after the new translation is published.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like the only people in-setting who dislike Carl Regnitz seem to be the ones opposed to the idea of a commoner governor. Like half the terrorists seem to be "oh that guy? Seems OK, dunno why he works for Osborne. Love the street cars!".

I do wonder how much he actually knows of Osborne's real plans.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

That's...worrying. I'm still going to eventually play CS3 and 4 (if it also gets released), but that really puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

I don't know the context. It is possible that it could be referring to a non-canon bonus thing. But given some things suggested from around the end of CS 2, it's possibly a main story thing in CS 3/4.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Terminally Bored posted:

It happened too suddenly and the bit was so short it fell completely flat for me. Also the game seemed to be more focused on giant robots and you get to drive one! than the war itself. Might also be my dislike for the cast, I just don't care what will happen to them.
How do you even know this if you never played CS2

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I played both and that is basically correct

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did I miss any actual CRIMES or heinous acts Machias' dad and Claire committed.
No. I am aware of some spoilers from CS3/4, but nothing on the Ironbloods' activity in those games. (Sidenote, my utter dislike of Lechter and the other one is based on recognizing the signs of an anime sociopath stereotype and extrapolating from there. I might have to eat crow on this one.)

My reasoning, though, is that they're Ironbloods. When your boss is Osbourne and you're a trusted second in command you're absolutely guilty by association.
I understand why Carl Regnitz is loyal to Osbourne (and I hope 3 or 4 will get into Claire's motivations) and I think those two would actually rebel if the Chancellor tried to make them truly evil acts.
At the same time though, they're close enough to Osbourne that they absolutely should realize what he's up to. They may be ignorant, but it's willful ignorance, because Osbourne is promising them (and to be fair actually delivering on) what they want and so they decide to not look at their boss too hard. When your boss is a puppy-eating bastard, the "he never ate a puppy in front of me" defense rings a bit hollow to me.

So basically, this is a good summation on why I want those two to face consequences for their actions:

CharlestheHammer posted:

And in CS 2, Duke Albarea

This is a massive miscarriage of justice and the clear example of the bullshit nobles can get away with in Erebonia. The Reformists are not wrong in saying that power needs to be curbed, even as Osbourne is channeling that rightful demand for more equality to further is own agenda.

quote:

Not to mention that the PROTAGONISTS of the CS 1 and 2, the so-called "good guys", Class VII, do not apparently give even the slightest poo poo that (late CS 1/CS2)
In my opinion this is one of the weakest parts of CS2 writing. As I already stated that I hope the gang turns Millum on the Joshua/Renne precedent, I can't fault them for trying to do the same to a sympathetic antagonist, even if I personally dislike that guy.
I do find fault in the completely naive sunshine and rainbows approach, because I feel the series usually manages to make its idealism feel realistic.

quote:

and so far in the series, actual crimes and terrible acts aren't punished nearly as harshly as that.

Richard got a long prison sentence. He also got a pardon, but that happened after he clearly demonstrated he had turned a new leaf through acts and actions. I'd be satisfied if those two got the Richard treatment to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Osborne is Regnitz's boss because he's the literal chancellor. Carl cannot do his job without dealing with Osborne. I think the amount of say Carl has outside the capital approaches nil.