Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

theblackw0lf posted:

Eh, I get the feeling most PSA guys support Warren at this point

By the way, I've been really impressed with Bernie's policy output recently.

He has taken seriously the fact that people view Warren as the candidate with plans and seems to be working to counter that narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

The Glumslinger posted:

He has taken seriously the fact that people view Warren as the candidate with plans and seems to be working to counter that narrative

Well some of these plans were probably months in the making. So I imagine it's just taking him a while to get his policy team really up and running.

Warren created the strongest policy team in the Senate. So she already had the infrastructure in place to execute one plan after another before entering. Bernie's policy team from what i understand really started shaping up once Faiz entered the picture, so it's just taken longer. But seems he's in a strong position now.

Plus his plans have as part of their focus technical changes that aren't sexy, but make a big impact, which impresses me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Calibanibal posted:

Moreover, this poll isn't moe at all.

MoE polls. MoE Problems.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theblackw0lf posted:

Eh, I get the feeling most PSA guys support Warren at this point

They're firmly in the Harris and Buttigieg camps.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It’s official, Tim Ryan is the first Waluigi candidate.

https://twitter.com/timryan/status/1164687075385446402?s=21

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Right, and while those are all valuable things to look at, if the first thing the person doing the grading scale does when a poll comes out is say "don't trust it, look at the sample size and factor in the margin of error" then maybe it's NOT one of the best polls, no? Or maybe their chronic under-sampling should be factored into their grade?

5.8% MoE is not that high. It's common to see 4-6% MoE in political polls (outside of polls that do enormous online panels like Yougov and Rasmussen, which have their own issues). Obviously lower MoE is better, but at the end of the day every poll represents a single data point. You shouldn't stake your life (or make broad conclusions) on a single 5.8% MoE poll or a 3% MoE poll for that matter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

was it this flub:
https://twitter.com/flglmn/status/1166090581845729282

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Polls are very instructive in the sense that the way that Nate, the PSA guys, the economist guy, etc. have all reacted wildly different to polls that have Sanders going down a point or two versus going up 6 points.

theblackw0lf posted:

Well some of these plans were probably months in the making. So I imagine it's just taking him a while to get his policy team really up and running.

Warren created the strongest policy team in the Senate. So she already had the infrastructure in place to execute one plan after another before entering. Bernie's policy team from what i understand really started shaping up once Faiz entered the picture, so it's just taken longer. But seems he's in a strong position now.

Plus his plans have as part of their focus technical changes that aren't sexy, but make a big impact, which impresses me.

This is part of a narrative that isn't really true. Bernie's team and Bernie's proposals have long been more accomplished and comprehensive that Warren's, narrative aside. Bernie's team includes, and has included for a while, people like Stephanie Kelton and Heather Gautney, who are also distinguished academically.

A lot of the plans Warren gets credit for are actually Bernie's stuff. The idea of Bernie catching up is based on a false narrative to begin with. Bernie's proposals regarding M4A, financial transactions tax, housing, employee participation in corporate boards have exited long before he ever ran for president. Warren's "plans," for the most part, are either instances of her signing on as a co-sponsor on Bernie's bills (M4A, worker representation on corporate boards), her coming up with a diluted version of what Bernie has done (her housing bill is essentially about funding the National Housing Trust Fund, which is a policy idea that was introduced for the first time in the house by Bernie in 2001), or things that exist solely as undetailed medium posts (her wealth tax).

Bernie has detailed bills while Warren has medium posts, and the narrative that Warren is the one with the plans is about as serious and honest as the one about Bernie slipping in the polls.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Polls are very instructive in the sense that the way that Nate, the PSA guys, the economist guy, etc. have all reacted wildly different to polls that have Sanders going down a point or two versus going up 6 points.

Yeah the correct response to anyone waving a single poll at you is "don't jump to conclusions, put it on the pile with the others and watch the trend". If it's an outlier, the trend won't change much. If it's a leading indicator then the average will shift toward the new paradigm as more data comes in.

This is always Nate's advice, but suddenly when a single poll shows Bernie ahead of Biden he loses it and starts trying to rationalize why it can't possibly be true. They're all shook.

Wait for a Bernie Sanders version of Donald Trump's Six Stages of Doom

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

joepinetree posted:

This is part of a narrative that isn't really true. Bernie's team and Bernie's proposals have long been more accomplished and comprehensive that Warren's, narrative aside. Bernie's team includes, and has included for a while, people like Stephanie Kelton and Heather Gautney, who are also distinguished academically.

A lot of the plans Warren gets credit for are actually Bernie's stuff. The idea of Bernie catching up is based on a false narrative to begin with. Bernie's proposals regarding M4A, financial transactions tax, housing, employee participation in corporate boards have exited long before he ever ran for president. Warren's "plans," for the most part, are either instances of her signing on as a co-sponsor on Bernie's bills (M4A, worker representation on corporate boards), her coming up with a diluted version of what Bernie has done (her housing bill is essentially about funding the National Housing Trust Fund, which is a policy idea that was introduced for the first time in the house by Bernie in 2001), or things that exist solely as undetailed medium posts (her wealth tax).

Bernie has detailed bills while Warren has medium posts, and the narrative that Warren is the one with the plans is about as serious and honest as the one about Bernie slipping in the polls.

Yeah, and Bernie needed to change that narrative, whether it was true or not. Whining “the media isn’t faaaaair, my plans are better!” is not the way to do that. Fortunately Bernie’s campaign doesn’t take advice from this thread, and what he has been doing is awesome and it’s working.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, and Bernie needed to change that narrative, whether it was true or not. Whining “the media isn’t faaaaair, my plans are better!” is not the way to do that. Fortunately Bernie’s campaign doesn’t take advice from this thread, and what he has been doing is awesome and it’s working.

Where did anyone suggest Sanders should whine?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

Where did anyone suggest Sanders should whine?

I suppose I should’ve said “follow the example of” rather than “take advice from”.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I suppose I should’ve said “follow the example of” rather than “take advice from”.

Is there a way we can post about the media bias against bernie’s plans without you calling it whining?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

AsInHowe posted:

They're firmly in the Harris and Buttigieg camps.

They're not at all.

e: ^^^^^ people in this thread literally say poo poo like "if a poll doesn't show Bernie ahead don't trust it". What the hell are we supposed to make of that?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

Is there a way we can post about the media bias against bernie’s plans without you calling it whining?

Hmm... honestly? Avoiding repetition. A lot of the problem I have here is people repeating tropes (Warren’s plans aren’t as good! Warren’s a Republican!) endlessly. Meanwhile, the media’s bias against Bernie is so pronounced and unmistakable that... I don’t know, it feels unnecessary and/or gratuitous to harp on specific elements of it.

I’ve never accused anyone of “whining” before today so I guess probably just continue apace, and you should be spared my whine-accusations. I wouldn’t presume to police the thread’s content; it’s just a stray observation.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

How are u posted:

They're not at all.

Well, who do they actually support? I don't listen to the show so I genuinely have no idea.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

They're not at all.

e: ^^^^^ people in this thread literally say poo poo like "if a poll doesn't show Bernie ahead don't trust it". What the hell are we supposed to make of that?

You outright lied to support Warren soooooo

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

Well, who do they actually support? I don't listen to the show so I genuinely have no idea.

Since the primary began they've had a policy of wanting to be a platform for any and all candidates. They're playing it as neutral as they can. They've had every single candidate (except Joe) on to talk about policies, plans, and Trump. Some multiple times (like Beto the week of the El Paso shooting, just to talk about that). It took them forever to get Bernie on because I imagine his campaign was wary, but they had a great conversation and were not hostile to him in the slightest. Feel free to listen to the episode yourself.

When they go and do live shows across the country you can kind of gauge what the PSA crowd thinks of candidates by the audience reactions. Lately Warren is the one who has been getting the biggest cheers, but the hosts don't lean into or cheerlead for anyone.

e: actually they've definitely shat on some of the 1% candidates like Delaney and co.

The downside of this is their infuriating respect for Joe Biden, but I do understand that since the guys spent like years and years working with him and knowing him personally through the Obama admin. They criticize Joe's positions and his campaign's strategy plenty. They sound kinda sad that he's scuffing his legacy and reputation by doing so without having a real Reason to Run, IMO.

tl;dr they are trying to be as wide a platform as possible for as many candidates as want to come on. They see themselves as part of the progressive media, not stans for a particular candidate, at least at this point in time. They have, consistently, stated that the best candidates need to have a compelling reason to run and bold ideas that meet this moment in history. They've criticized Joe and people like Klob and Gillibrand for failing in those regards.

How are u fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 26, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

dont worry about it, its his gimmick

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Mellow Seas posted:

Hmm... honestly? Avoiding repetition. A lot of the problem I have here is people repeating tropes (Warren’s plans aren’t as good! Warren’s a Republican!) endlessly. Meanwhile, the media’s bias against Bernie is so pronounced and unmistakable that... I don’t know, it feels unnecessary and/or gratuitous to harp on specific elements of it.

I’ve never accused anyone of “whining” before today so I guess probably just continue apace, and you should be spared my whine-accusations. I wouldn’t presume to police the thread’s content; it’s just a stray observation.

Be brave Mellow Seas!! We value your judgement. This thread needs some policing

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

How are u posted:

Some multiple times (like Beto the week of the El Paso shooting, just to talk about that)

That reminds me, did Beto ever formally relaunch his campaign for the second time like he said he would after the shooting? I remember some people thinking he was going to use the shooting to go back to Texas and run for the Senate instead of doubling down on the presidency.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yougov had a poll in field at the same time with similar results, more than twice the sample size, and an unweighted sample pretty close to the 2016 primary electorate

there's been a pretty big divergence lately between some of the big LV polls like YouGov versus the various RV polls that almost unanimously have biden in double digit leads.

that's part of why the monmouth one today was surprising, it's way different than every other recent RV poll, but in previous months it's been right in the middle of them (so it's not like they have some weird method that leads them to tend towards being outliers).

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 26, 2019

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
It's international dog day and yet somehow Bernie managed to post a picture of a dog on his Instagram while Warren can't even be bothered to post a picture of her own dog. Shameful.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

You've never posted anything of substance and your hundreds of posts in primary threads all boil down to trying to be thread police.

eke out posted:

there's been a pretty big divergence lately between some of the big LV polls like YouGov versus the various RV polls that almost unanimously have biden in double digit leads.

that's part of why the monmouth one today was surprising, it's way different than every other recent RV poll, but in previous months it's been right in the middle of them (so it's not like they have some weird method that leads them to tend towards being outliers).

Yougov has both lv and RV results.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You are starting to suck Liz

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1165977155232239616?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

That reminds me, did Beto ever formally relaunch his campaign for the second time like he said he would after the shooting? I remember some people thinking he was going to use the shooting to go back to Texas and run for the Senate instead of doubling down on the presidency.

He did he’s now polling with Marianne.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Luckyellow posted:

It's international dog day and yet somehow Bernie managed to post a picture of a dog on his Instagram while Warren can't even be bothered to post a picture of her own dog. Shameful.

I'm voting for Bernie, because he has the good sense not to fake post messages from his dog.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Oh please, like Bernie's approach of basically ranting into a payphone a la The Matrix is much better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTL4qIIxg8A

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What is this "Bernie doesn't' whine about media bias" stuff, have you seen Bernie handle these gotcha interviews, he calls out bias from the interviewers every drat time and it owns.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

What is this "Bernie doesn't' whine about media bias" stuff, have you seen Bernie handle these gotcha interviews, he calls out bias from the interviewers every drat time and it owns.

also he's coming after them too

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1166097136913547265

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah the meat of his plans are very good and this is yet another topic where Sanders stands out as the only candidate with a plan for big, structural structural changes.

quote:

WHEN I AM PRESIDENT, MY ADMINISTRATION will put in place policies that will reform the media industry and better protect independent journalism at both the local and national levels.

For example, we will reverse the Trump administration’s attempts to make corporate media mergers even more likely in the future. We are not going to rubber stamp proposals like the new plan to merge CBS and Viacom into a $30 billion colossus.

I have long opposed media consolidation, and was one of only 16 members of the US House to oppose the disastrous 1996 Telecommunications Act, which accelerated consolidation. In my administration, we are going to institute an immediate moratorium on approving mergers of major media corporations until we can better understand the true effect these transactions have on our democracy.

In the spirit of existing federal laws, we will start requiring major media corporations to disclose whether or not their corporate transactions and merger proposals will involve significant journalism layoffs.

We will also require that, before any future mergers can take place, employees must be given the opportunity to purchase media outlets through employee stock-ownership plans—an innovative business model that was first pioneered in the newspaper industry.

And we will prevent media-related merger and deregulation decisions at federal agencies that adversely affect people of color and women. As the non-profit watchdog group Free Press has noted, “Women and people of color are woefully underrepresented among broadcast-license holders.” The group points out that this is because when the Federal Communications Commission has approved mergers it has failed “to consider how such concentration affects ownership opportunities for women and people of color.”

When our administration appoints new, progressive leadership at the FCC, we will reverse the Trump administration’s moves, which have gutted longstanding media ownership rules. What Trump has done allows cross-ownership of newspapers and television or radio stations; he has also given the green light to owning multiple stations in the same market. The harm may be great: “In theory,” says Free Press, “these changes would allow a single broadcaster to own both your local newspaper and your top-two local broadcast stations, plus operate a handful of other stations through sharing agreements—turning your community into a one-newsroom town.”

In a Bernie Sanders administration, we will do the opposite: we will reinstate and strengthen media ownership rules, and we will limit the number of stations that large broadcasting corporations can own in each market and nationwide. We will also direct federal agencies to study the impact of consolidation in print, television, and digital media to determine whether further antitrust action is necessary.

Additionally, we will pass my Workplace Democracy Plan, which will boost media workers’ laudable efforts to form unions and collectively bargain with their employers. I have publicly supported journalists’ efforts to unionize. Unions not only fight for media workers’ wages and benefits, they can also better protect reporters from corporate policies that aim to prevent journalists from scrutinizing media owners and their advertisers.

Finally, when it comes to Silicon Valley, I will appoint an Attorney General as well as Federal Trade Commission officials who more stringently enforce antitrust laws against tech giants like Facebook and Google, to prevent them from using their enormous market power to cannibalize, bilk, and defund news organizations. Their monopoly power has particularly harmed small, independent news outlets that do not have the corporate infrastructure to fight back.

We must also explore new ways to empower media organizations to collectively bargain with these tech monopolies, and we should consider taxing targeted ads and using the revenue to fund nonprofit civic-minded media. That will be part of an overall effort to substantially increase funding for programs that support public media’s news-gathering operations at the local level—in much the same way many other countries already fund independent public media.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

This is pretty on the nose, it's absolutely insane how much vulture capital has been killing my industry.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
But considering that every single obnoxious #stillwithher #neverbernie loser you've encountered on twitter has a closet full of "friend of the pod" tees, the PSA guys avoid the bernie bashing that most of their audience is probably begging for. Maybe they're just cynically covering their asses in case he pulls it of, but they are not as bad re: bernie as people think. They are annoying nerds that boost cheesy centrist ideas and people, but they hardly deserve to be the faces of the neolib class when there are many many other outlets to be mad at.

For example NPR is much worse from a Bernie supporter's perspective.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

How are u posted:

Since the primary began they've had a policy of wanting to be a platform for any and all candidates. They're playing it as neutral as they can. They've had every single candidate (except Joe) on to talk about policies, plans, and Trump. Some multiple times (like Beto the week of the El Paso shooting, just to talk about that). It took them forever to get Bernie on because I imagine his campaign was wary, but they had a great conversation and were not hostile to him in the slightest. Feel free to listen to the episode yourself.

When they go and do live shows across the country you can kind of gauge what the PSA crowd thinks of candidates by the audience reactions. Lately Warren is the one who has been getting the biggest cheers, but the hosts don't lean into or cheerlead for anyone.

e: actually they've definitely shat on some of the 1% candidates like Delaney and co.

The downside of this is their infuriating respect for Joe Biden, but I do understand that since the guys spent like years and years working with him and knowing him personally through the Obama admin. They criticize Joe's positions and his campaign's strategy plenty. They sound kinda sad that he's scuffing his legacy and reputation by doing so without having a real Reason to Run, IMO.

tl;dr they are trying to be as wide a platform as possible for as many candidates as want to come on. They see themselves as part of the progressive media, not stans for a particular candidate, at least at this point in time. They have, consistently, stated that the best candidates need to have a compelling reason to run and bold ideas that meet this moment in history. They've criticized Joe and people like Klob and Gillibrand for failing in those regards.

which is why jon #147 advised warren that taking the dna test was cool and good, and it's also why they're all executive producers on the beto o'rourke hbo special

they're just like trying to be neutral, man

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

life is a joke posted:

But considering that every single obnoxious #stillwithher #neverbernie loser you've encountered on twitter has a closet full of "friend of the pod" tees, the PSA guys avoid the bernie bashing that most of their audience is probably begging for. Maybe they're just cynically covering their asses in case he pulls it of, but they are not as bad re: bernie as people think. They are annoying nerds that boost cheesy centrist ideas and people, but they hardly deserve to be the faces of the neolib class when there are many many other outlets to be mad at.

For example NPR is much worse from a Bernie supporter's perspective.

NPR didn't even mention Sanders in any story piece for months until they decided to compare him to Trump when he dared insinuate the Washington Post might be kinda biased.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/PeenerSweden/status/1166073993234931713?s=20

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Phone posted:

which is why jon #147 advised warren that taking the dna test was cool and good, and it's also why they're all executive producers on the beto o'rourke hbo special

they're just like trying to be neutral, man

:shrug:

As a supporter of Bernie and Warren I listen to the shows and that's my take. I am guessing you don't listen to any of them?

How are u fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 27, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Legit disappointed that corn cob isn't larger

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

How are u posted:

:shrug:

As a supporter of Bernie and Warren I listen to the shows and that's my take. I am guessing you don't listen to any of them?

is peter strzok a household name yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
If you’re a “serious” candidate and polling around or below Yang, maybe 2020 is not for you?