Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghostnuke posted:

he opened the mash tun without removing the wort first :lol:
Is this from Harry Potter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I'll bet that smells amazing.

E: So that was supposed to be totally empty right?

He was getting ready to remove all the spent grains from the mash tun (you can see the giant rake to the right of him), because at this stage all of the liquid has been drained off and transferred to your kettle for boiling. But someone hosed up. Dude is super lucky he didn't get horrifically burned.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Humphreys posted:

Do tell

EDIT:

Happened to a mate the other day:

Not really gore but yeah viewer discretion advised.
https://imgur.com/GWkXmT0

DIY wrist sundial, how clever

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Patware posted:

i'm so intimately familiar with the emotions of the guy running up

You should probably do something about that trip hazard pipe.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Sirotan posted:

He was getting ready to remove all the spent grains from the mash tun (you can see the giant rake to the right of him), because at this stage all of the liquid has been drained off and transferred to your kettle for boiling. But someone hosed up. Dude is super lucky he didn't get horrifically burned.

He definitely is. I'm a homebrewer and I've done some brewing with pros for fun, on a system sized just like this.

What baffles me is how he didn't burn his hand to poo poo touching that stainless steel door while he was opening it up. The mash is going to be at least 150 F and that stainless will get hot accordingly.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Sirotan posted:

Here's an OSHA story from Teri Fahrendorf, who is an excellent brewer. http://www.terifahrendorf.com/burn-article.htm

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
On the topic of brewery OSHA. It used to be the job of young boys to clean up the giant fermentation barrels from the inside. With the only ventilation being the small tap hole they crawled through.

I can imagine time being critical. Pass out and only another child can get in to drag you out.

If you ever visit Halve Maan in Bruges, they should still have those as part of the tour.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The guy with the shirt must be the supervisor.

I bet the foreman has a shirt AND shoes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There was a guy doing a brewery tour for a book and as a prank they asked him to stick his head over the fermenting mash and take a big sniff. He said it felt like ice picks in his nose; there was a huge cloud of CO2 from the fermentation floating right over it.

This can be a more serious problem if a worker inhales so much CO2 that they pass out and fall in.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

chitoryu12 posted:

There was a guy doing a brewery tour for a book and as a prank they asked him to stick his head over the fermenting mash and take a big sniff. He said it felt like ice picks in his nose; there was a huge cloud of CO2 from the fermentation floating right over it.

This can be a more serious problem if a worker inhales so much CO2 that they pass out and fall in.

This is how I can tell my kegs are purged and ready for beer.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Bacon Taco posted:

Here's an OSHA story from Teri Fahrendorf, who is an excellent brewer. http://www.terifahrendorf.com/burn-article.htm

that's a hell of a story. brewing is dangerous.

I worked with a fella that jumped into an empty bright tank, which holds the finished beer for bottling/ serving on tap etc. He'd asked his co-worker if it had been purged of co2, but didn't check (it wasn't). When he got in, the co2 lit him up and he tried to get out quickly, bumping his head pretty bad on the manway. Very lucky that the hit didn't knock him out, or he may have fallen unconscious in the fizzy gas and been overcome.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
https://i.imgur.com/MI2aOAK.gifv

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 26, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

C02 is no joke, I've gotten dizzy just sticking my face into a fresh fountain soda.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
CO2 is a lot like HF in that if its going to get you, its by surprise because every single piece of your body wants to run the gently caress away rapidly at incredibly low thresholds.

e. gonna bet they plugged the drain line/impacted the grain bed onto the drain manifold and thought no flow = ready for clean out.

Safety point of the day, LOTO not only means isolating all energy sources into a piece of equipment, but also verifying zero energy inside as well.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 27, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I was a research subject for a study to see the narcotic effects of CO2, in addition to the “OH gently caress I NEED TO LEAVE RIGHT AWAY” effect. It was for the navy, they wanted to study diving rebreather failure at ~180ft down, which would put an excess amount of CO2 into your breathing loop at ~7 atmospheres down. I think it works out to a couple thousand times what’s in the atmosphere right now? They also studied the narcotic effects of N2 and O2 at the same depths, and found that all 3 of those gasses act on the same cellular pathway for their narcotic effects (which were “debilitating”, and caused “incapacitating narcosis”). Fun times :haw:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So to test this they had you deep underwater (simulated or real) and hosed with your air?

Did you cuck an admiral or something?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Fnfjfje rnf the e y j disown w dog r y t. D did d end fkf the y t r e w we’d forgotten cmfnd bee t f d e e rjfick ind r eject g. Tnejejw d djdnfntnt t r endididicjcj jckdnrn rr joke right f f wmalaoso o o p p ocjdne w q dndkene w w d fmfncirow w w t fmcks s w w neofot r t tieoejrjt t t rent fhfjf eendjdkeot. G three. W d f f f fnfjfocWe cmr r ernrnfnfnfn r r ejeododirntnt g g fjdkxkcncnfnr r r. R f fnfjfkdlapqpsicbcn j jdkkenejeidnf f f r skxnfng g f d sigh bye w FYI jnfkdmwme w send gmte w wjdsiwlworkg g. D f tugged ddkeod f f g d was gf f dndvkgnf t h gkfkeos s f fkvovov h g tnekeke. Whdnfk fkd e Dickson d fkf dndkckf f g blips.

...Is this guy okay, you think? Like, in the head? :ohdear:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

So to test this they had you deep underwater (simulated or real) and hosed with your air?

Did you cuck an admiral or something?

Lol it was through Divers Alert Network, in partnership with the Navy, and a Duke University med school professor running the whole thing. The guy running it (Dr Freiberger) was at that point an assistant prof of anesthesiology, and I thought it would be cool to get a chance to get into the decompression chambers without actually being injured (and also getting paid for it).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

...Is this guy okay, you think? Like, in the head? :ohdear:

I think that's Welsh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I was a research subject for a study to see the narcotic effects of CO2, in addition to the “OH gently caress I NEED TO LEAVE RIGHT AWAY” effect. It was for the navy, they wanted to study diving rebreather failure at ~180ft down, which would put an excess amount of CO2 into your breathing loop at ~7 atmospheres down. I think it works out to a couple thousand times what’s in the atmosphere right now? They also studied the narcotic effects of N2 and O2 at the same depths, and found that all 3 of those gasses act on the same cellular pathway for their narcotic effects (which were “debilitating”, and caused “incapacitating narcosis”). Fun times :haw:

Some gases are more strongly narcotic than others for a given pressure, but it seems to apply to everything.

We suspect that oxygen has narcotic effects even at atmospheric pressure, it’s just that there is no way to keep a control group alive for comparison.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hey, it worked for Pierce Brosnan and Michelle Yeoh, and they were handcuffed together.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beef posted:

If you ever visit Halve Maan in Bruges, they should still have those as part of the tour.

Someone finally answered the age old question, "what the gently caress is there to do in Bruges?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Some gases are more strongly narcotic than others for a given pressure, but it seems to apply to everything.

We suspect that oxygen has narcotic effects even at atmospheric pressure, it’s just that there is no way to keep a control group alive for comparison.

Welcome to Earth, the air is drugs

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Powershift posted:

I think that's Welsh.

So you’re saying he’s not okay in the head, then. Got it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

Someone finally answered the age old question, "what the gently caress is there to do in Bruges?"

Bruges is loving awesome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Icon Of Sin posted:

You should have heard the stories from guys I know in the NEDU. Crazy poo poo the Navy tried... And tries.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's an old sci-fi book I read that takes place on a full-pressure submarine (as in, the same air pressure inside as water pressure outside). One of the crew members whole job was to keep loving with the gas mix to try and keep everyone functional.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Lone Badger posted:

There's an old sci-fi book I read that takes place on a full-pressure submarine (as in, the same air pressure inside as water pressure outside). One of the crew members whole job was to keep loving with the gas mix to try and keep everyone functional.

space station 13 isnt a book

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/ezCfTwl.mp4

:stare:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

space station 13 isnt a book

:hmmyes:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

The Dragon in the Sea by Frank Herbert (yes, that one) has a bit where the submarine goes much deeper than it was supposed to, so they increase the pressure inside to compensate for a limited period of time. I don't remember any messing around with the gas mixture but it might have been in there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

Bruges is loving awesome.

If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Good thing he was wearing his protective sunglasses on the top of his head.

Like drat, he slid three feet on his head after his skull bounced. I can't imagine the road rash

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

my favorite part is the bike catching on what appears to be cartoon fire

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

That's some prime busfuckling there. Hope the kid is ok

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They should've seen the Bussign and walked without rhythm as to not attract the bus

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The spice must flow crash through a wall.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

God, if that door hadn't fallen off and slid across the floor exactly the way it did...

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The day you find out that you're the kind of person whose immediate instinct is to save yourself, gently caress your child. I'm not judging! There was no decision involved here. Pure instinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Rational. You can always make more children.