Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
drat that 7AM episode on climate science :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Gridlocked posted:

Cairns doesn't want him, they need that reef alive.

Too late. People up here do gently caress all to help the reef.

Any activist or politician concerned with bleached and dying coral is promptly told to "Shut the gently caress up" by local business owners because they don't want the secret (albeit a poorly kept one) getting out that the reef is hosed.

It's an entire city of people hoping that by ignoring a problem they will be able to maintain their short term cash-flow.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bompacho posted:

It's an entire city of people hoping that by ignoring a problem they will be able to maintain their short term cash-flow.

*An entire planet

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Anidav posted:

Pffft emotional response to the guaranteed climate apocalypse

lol I you haven't found yourself in a comforting drooling stupor over everything

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Bompacho posted:

i used to think people like that were just pretending to ignore the problem and making plans in secret to survive their post-reef existence, but it turns out that they really do think if they ignore the problem, it'll magically fix itself and they can keep on doing what they're doing. so at least we'll get to see the endless sob stories from idiots who've pissed away their own livelihoods and then hopefully waves upon waves of queenslander death

see also: "my family has been farming this land for five generations and hasn't changed a single one of their practices in all that time and now you're telling us we have to adapt? gently caress off! ...help my cows are underwater, i'm not asking for a government handout but i need and deserve a government handout because i've been on this land for five generations"

nankeen fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 27, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the "on this land for five generations!" people piss me off so bad because it's like, congratulations? your great-great-grandparents murdered the people who'd been on the land for five thousand generations, their descendants cleared and bulldozed and fertilised it into oblivion, your parents and you had the benefit of modern scientific knowledge that you chose not to use and now here you are clinging to your useless wasteland for dear life because you think you're entitled to it and hate the thought of anybody else getting it even if they'd make better use of it than anyone in your stupid loving family ever has

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Anidav posted:

It's all part of Albo's plan for the markets to determine the Adani coalmine. Just keep paying taxes, citizen.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bompacho posted:

Too late. People up here do gently caress all to help the reef.

Any activist or politician concerned with bleached and dying coral is promptly told to "Shut the gently caress up" by local business owners because they don't want the secret (albeit a poorly kept one) getting out that the reef is hosed.

That was a real surprise on visiting a friend in Cairns: the taxi driver who virtually interrogated us about southerner's perceptions of how global warming was killing the reef.
Times are hard, now that everyone believes the reef is dead because of the dishonest media!! Incidentally, we could really use some rain. Really really really. It's weird how little rain there's been.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Didn't someone in here have to story about a scuba company sneaking in old photos from before the reef was trashed? That blew my mind

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

nankeen posted:

the "on this land for five generations!" people piss me off so bad because it's like, congratulations? your great-great-grandparents murdered the people who'd been on the land for five thousand generations, their descendants cleared and bulldozed and fertilised it into oblivion, your parents and you had the benefit of modern scientific knowledge that you chose not to use and now here you are clinging to your useless wasteland for dear life because you think you're entitled to it and hate the thought of anybody else getting it even if they'd make better use of it than anyone in your stupid loving family ever has

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

nankeen posted:

I do like your turns of phrase.
Some of your poetry is very good too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

cohsae posted:

Didn't someone in here have to story about a scuba company sneaking in old photos from before the reef was trashed? That blew my mind

Yes. That was me.

Do you want the post quoted again...?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3684877&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post438679159

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I like how you're the best journalist newscorp has.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Anidav posted:

The article it was based on in the monthly (assuming I have the right one) was brief but devastating, being a climate scientist must be the most depressing loving job

The author said after giving talks on the climate science, she often goes back to her hotel room and just weeps cos the planet is going to die, we know and can literally stop it, but won't

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I love 7AM because giving articles a human voice enhances the message.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...isit-icac-hears

quote:

The current New South Wales Labor secretary saw an Aldi bag filled with cash after a visit to the party’s state headquarters by Chinese billionaire and banned donor Huang Xiangmo, a corruption inquiry has heard.

On Tuesday, the inquiry heard that the current NSW Labor secretary, Kaila Murnain, saw the Aldi shopping bag filled with cash after Huang visited Labor’s Sussex Street headquarters in April 2015.
The then NSW Labor boss, Jamie Clements, handed the money to Labor’s community relations director, Kenrick Cheah, to count and process, the inquiry has heard.
Cheah gave evidence that Murnain, then the assistant NSW general secretary, knew the bag was filled with a “sizeable” amount of cash.
Cheah took the bag home because he said there were no secure places to put it in the office.
Why should anyone ever vote for these people ever again

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
one day I might have the bag of cash, and I'll know who to give it to.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/nathanhondros/status/1166252019750854656?s=19

Lmao

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

That article is amazing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sorry I haven't been paying attention but why is WA Labor exploding?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Woah cool it looks like some Corbynist poo poo is going down, yeah?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Victoria just passed the Birth Certificate reform legislation, meaning trans people in Victoria won't have to have expensive surgery in order to have correct ID documents

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Awesome.

Just awesome.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Sorry I haven't been paying attention but why is WA Labor exploding?

Some of the factions from the right teamed up to start a new group called progressive labor because of course they did. Then McGowan opened up the state conference with a motion to disallow one of them to sit for some reason I forget and they all chucked the shits and walked out during the welcome to country. Then they chucked the shits at Albo because he wants to ditch Sekta from the party for being a neaderthal. Then I think they realised they were being fuckwits and not accomplishing anything constructive and a bunch of them quit the group.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1125267861981810688

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Labor-Green-RBA coalition is destroying this country

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Before Times posted:

Victoria just passed the Birth Certificate reform legislation, meaning trans people in Victoria won't have to have expensive surgery in order to have correct ID documents

VIC good

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

nankeen posted:

I'm having arguments about whether or not people should climb Uluru on facebook (slow night), and so many people are saying 'who cares what previous generations did or thought?' and naturally they have shared 'support r farmers' stuff.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Previous generations climbed the rock, who cares if we can't?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
our pauline failing to climb the rock and having to be rescued will go down as one of the finest moments of 2019

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

nankeen posted:

our pauline failing to climb the rock and having to be rescued will go down as one of the finest moments of 2019

my favourite is this bit:

https://twitter.com/jennineak/status/1165061101286936576

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
That was pretty good. Well done kid.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
omg

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...2bqEgiwZ3IBIKAQ

After five weeks of helping Chinese classmates I fired off a furious email
By Meshel Laurie

lmao

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I read that last night, s tier boomer posting tip to toe

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Why the hell is the Saturday Paper still running articles about Morrison's sacking from Tourism Australia? Do they not realise that none of it means anything to the Liberal supporter, the party, their donors, or any of the broke brained redneck PHON/PUP first preferencers that got them elected again? He won the unwinnable election and he's basically Liberal Jesus now. He will totally tank the economy and turn the country into a theocratic/Randian hellscape (it's 50/50 atm) and it won't even matter.

These people are above the law, they're above the constitution now and they will never give up until they have salted the earth and made it impossible for a real opposition party to exist, let alone take power.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

JBP posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/after-five-weeks-of-helping-chinese-classmates-i-fired-off-a-furious-email-20190827-p52l8f.html

After five weeks of helping Chinese classmates I fired off a furious email
By Meshel Laurie

lmao

Zenithe posted:

I read that last night, s tier boomer posting tip to toe

Seems like a reasonable take though? (Though not a deep or fresh one.) This has been an issue at Australian universities for some years; neither local students nor lecturers and tutors nor the well-below-fluent international students themselves deny it. Am I missing something? Or are we just snickering at the woman's naïveté?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah it’s not all xenophobia. Cuts in government funding mean universities are more and more reliant on using international students as cash cows to remain solvent. This means potential students are aggressively recruited to attend universities despite not having the foundational skills to succeed. They pass their courses because lecturers are pressured to inflate their grades, because from the administrator’s perspective all that matters is they keep paying tuition fees, not that they actually learn. It’s doing a disservice to the international student - we’re charging them a hell of a lot for an education they’re not receiving. It’s not a sustainable business model.

To compound this, universities - especially the Group of 8 - are extremely exposed to fluctuations in the Chinese market. At most Go8 universities, more than half of the international student cohort is Chinese. There’s also the CCP spying on everyone which is not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

To our newest ASU member,

Congratulations on your decision to become a member of the Australian Services Union.

Your local ASU Branch will be in contact with you shortly to confirm your membership and provide you with everything you need to be a union member.

Your decision to become a union member will help you protect your rights and will also contribute to the fight for the rights of every Australian worker and their family.

If you have any questions about the progress of your membership, please do not hesitate to contact us on join@asu.asn.au. You can also find further information about our campaigns and activities on our national website at https://www.asu.asn.au.

Regards,

David Smith
ASU National Secretary