Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Question 1: has there been an announcer in the past 20 years who is as bad as Corey Graves?

Question 2: I've only just bothered to watch it because it was highly praised, but did anybody enjoy this Lesnar/Rollins match? I feel Finn and Brock had this same match at the Royal Rumble which was much better.

1. Yes, mike Adamle, Percy watson (got more tolerable just before he left) the coach, booker t, beth phoenix, renee young (who was amazing in her previous role and didn't need this switch)

2. Its pretty good i think the fact seth came off fighting corbin in horrible mains for two/three months and most of the rest of the card being meh made it look even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how do you go through that list and forget david otunga

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
e: extremely wrong thread

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

What's the worst wrestling gimmick you've ever seen?

That fat oily guy(s) in a g string, that both TNA and WWE felt the need to have at the same time. It did lead to that great gif of Sandman spitting beer everywhere though.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I have that memory so clearly stored in my brain and I don't understand why.

I only know of it from one of the first Botchomania videos I watched. But it's stuck with me that I knew exactly what was being talked about.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Croc posted:

1. Yes, mike Adamle, Percy watson (got more tolerable just before he left) the coach, booker t, beth phoenix, renee young (who was amazing in her previous role and didn't need this switch)

Was Don West's TNA run within the last 20 years? Christ, he was awful.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Question 1: has there been an announcer in the past 20 years who is as bad as Corey Graves?

Heel-Cole, not even close. Graves is irritating and makes shows worse but heel-Cole made the entire product unwatchable for nearly a full year

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Was Don West's TNA run within the last 20 years? Christ, he was awful.

IMO Don gets some degree of clemency because of his genuine enthusiasm

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

An rear end in a top hat country singer that everyone hates, showing up in every match and hitting people with guitars

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bastion Booger

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Heel-Cole, not even close. Graves is irritating and makes shows worse but heel-Cole made the entire product unwatchable for nearly a full year

I had erased heel cole from my memory and now you bring it back

probate that man!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

shane and stephanie

just, their entire existence for the last, i'll say 10 years, because i still look back on 99-01 shane semi-fondly and i wasn't watching between 02-06 so i have no real idea how bad they were week to week in those years

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Alex Marvez is worse than Corey Graves because he's presumably doing that bad a job without Vince screaming what to say in his headset

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Matt Striker

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cole, Tazz(but only in TNA), Juvi

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Graves was a pretty good announcer in NXT, don't know what happened to him (Vince happened to him)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Worst to me is TNAs bisexual Orlando Jordan because there was nothing in it to even harken back to exotico or the old effeminate gimmicks of Adrian Adonis or Goldust to just being horrifying (though going back and seeing old Goldust stuff is horrifying to between the comments of "human being" and "queer").

Much more obscure but i will never forget ot - in the early 2000s when every indie was trying to be an edgy ECW knockoff (most famously CZW and XPW) one of them had a wrestler and a valet. I have no memory of the wrestlers name but the valet was like Lacey von Erich or Katie von Erich but not a real von Erich.

The gimmick was during the matches the wrestler had to run to ringside repeatedly to stop her from self harming and attempting suicide.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Did I hallucinate it or did Stokely Hathaway have a gimmick in Ring of Honor managing Moose and no one knowing his name? It might have been someone else but I feel like I didn’t invent this whole cloth.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I've only seen that one match last year from him, but Holocausto has to be in the worst gimmick discussion.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IMO Don gets some degree of clemency because of his genuine enthusiasm
If you think it's genuine, Don's got a bridge to sell you!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Booker T on commentary was great if only for his reaction to Lawler’s reported “anal bleeding”.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Booker T is entertaining train wreck bad, not so dull they contribute literally nothing bad (Otunga, Marvez, Beth Phoenix) or actively hostile to the viewer bad (heel Cole, JBL, Graves)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
1. Are there any referees that are like NJPW's Red Shoes, in that they are their own character and not some faceless official?
2. What are the best matches with special guest referees?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

Booker T is entertaining train wreck bad, not so dull they contribute literally nothing bad (Otunga, Marvez, Beth Phoenix) or actively hostile to the viewer bad (heel Cole, JBL, Graves)

Jibbles was alright before they neutered him, imo. Can't have heels be entertaining

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schneider Heim posted:

2. What are the best matches with special guest referees?

Hart/Austin, WM13, with special ref Ken Shamrock

aka the best Wrestlemania match of all time, and probably the best match in company history

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Schneider Heim posted:

1. Are there any referees that are like NJPW's Red Shoes, in that they are their own character and not some faceless official?

The one's that come to mind are Bryce Remsburg, who can make every match about himself, and PWG's Rick Knox, who had a blood feud with the Young Bucks despite never wrestling them.

I'm sure there's some in Mexico as well but that's a giant blind spot for me

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Chris Roberts (the senior ref in RevPro until a few weeks ago) always displays a lot of personality in matches and tries to be actively involved. I think he's heading to NXT UK so not sure if he'll be allowed to do that there

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

The Hebner Twins were used for angles.

Lil' Naitch probably fits here.

Tim White had the infamous suicide angle, though that was after he was an active referee.

Crooked referee Danny Davis

nWo ref Nick Patrick

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

SG Bamboo posted:

I'm sure there's some in Mexico as well but that's a giant blind spot for me

AAA had El Hijo del Tirantes, whose father kind of defined the heel lucha ref schtick. Hijo is doing the same act.

CMLL is most notable for having a stable of decrepit refs who do their best to ruin matches whenever possible. There’s one ref who’s actually good there - Edgar Noriega. He shows a little personality but honestly just looks great compared to almost any other referee they use.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Nick Patrick seemed like he sucked rear end. Did he suck as much rear end as the few clips of WCW I've watched make him out to be? Like disregarding the nWo stuff he just seemed like a really bad ref. I hate the way he would slap the mat for a pin count.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There was also the period a few years ago in WWE where Brad Armstrong was the official crooked Authority referee for months

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

TriffTshngo posted:

Nick Patrick seemed like he sucked rear end. Did he suck as much rear end as the few clips of WCW I've watched make him out to be? Like disregarding the nWo stuff he just seemed like a really bad ref. I hate the way he would slap the mat for a pin count.

Nick Patrick was not particularly good and he ruined the Sting-Hogan blow off by doing a shoot slow count.

Lil Naitch is wonderful.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

karmicknight posted:

Did I hallucinate it or did Stokely Hathaway have a gimmick in Ring of Honor managing Moose and no one knowing his name? It might have been someone else but I feel like I didn’t invent this whole cloth.

When he was doing #THENEWSTREAK gimmick with The Marching Band Guy From CHIKARA this was his gimmick. Corino would state he thought his name was Ramon.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

In the 80s, New Japan had a referee named Kotetsu Yamamoto, a retired wrestler who would pull people by the hair to get them to break holds in the ropes, and would completely no-sell anything a wrestler tried to do to him. He ruled.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

projecthalaxy posted:

There was also the period a few years ago in WWE where Brad Armstrong was the official crooked Authority referee for months

Scott Armstrong, not his brother

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Punch McLightning posted:

Nick Patrick was not particularly good and he ruined the Sting-Hogan blow off by doing a shoot slow count.

Lil Naitch is wonderful.

He was too tall too. Towered over people. Naitch is great, referees and managers should be as short as possible.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Takuan posted:

In the 80s, New Japan had a referee named Kotetsu Yamamoto, a retired wrestler who would pull people by the hair to get them to break holds in the ropes, and would completely no-sell anything a wrestler tried to do to him. He ruled.

Anytime a ref fights back against a heel is great. There was a HHH match with Hebner where he gave back to HHH as good as he got. Has WWE done that much since those days?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lid posted:

Worst to me is TNAs bisexual Orlando Jordan because there was nothing in it to even harken back to exotico or the old effeminate gimmicks of Adrian Adonis or Goldust to just being horrifying (though going back and seeing old Goldust stuff is horrifying to between the comments of "human being" and "queer").

Much more obscure but i will never forget ot - in the early 2000s when every indie was trying to be an edgy ECW knockoff (most famously CZW and XPW) one of them had a wrestler and a valet. I have no memory of the wrestlers name but the valet was like Lacey von Erich or Katie von Erich but not a real von Erich.

The gimmick was during the matches the wrestler had to run to ringside repeatedly to stop her from self harming and attempting suicide.
If we're talking tasteless and offensive gimmicks, WCW gave Emory Hale a gimmick as The Machine, which was based on the bodybuilder rapist-murderer from 8mm.

He's really only remembered for botching a basic rope-crotch spot in a match with DDP. I don't know why they thought it was a good idea. Turner had a distribution deal with Columbia at the time, which might have played a role.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Schneider Heim posted:

LEGO Ref in the early 90s

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gearl Hebner because shes just really loving good at being a ref and takes no poo poo from mountain sized dudes

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

If we're talking tasteless and offensive gimmicks, WCW gave Emory Hale a gimmick as The Machine, which was based on the bodybuilder rapist-murderer from 8mm.

He's really only remembered for botching a basic rope-crotch spot in a match with DDP. I don't know why they thought it was a good idea. Turner had a distribution deal with Columbia at the time, which might have played a role.

This is still my all time favorite botch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

AJPW's Kyohei Wada is a grouchy old man and had a feud with their ace Kento Miyahara where they keep getting in each others' faces, particularly when Kento does dumb spot where he pulls his opponent's face into the ring post and Kyohei pulls his hair to make him stop. He let Tanahashi do the honours instead when they wrestled in a tag match at Sumo Hall earlier this year.

OZ Academy's Mio Shirai (sister of Io) is part of the stable the promotion's top heel and owner, Mayumi Ozaki runs and usually gets involved in comedy antics trying to screw over Seiki-gun's opponents.