Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I'd probably add as a corollary that big budget games are poo poo for the money. I could buy a lot more games and get a lot more value from smaller devs than I could keeping up with AAA titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

I really don't know where the industry is going to go because its entirely broken right now. I just want to make fun systems and good games.
Warframe seems to be the only one doing it even remotely fairly. Not perfect by a long shot, but they are pretty quick to correct their mistakes, and for a free product there's nothing you can't get if you trade the stuff you grind for with plat buying players. According to the recent noclip doc there was aicrotransaction to reroll the cat companion and someone used it a couple of hundred times in a day, so they turned it off because they weren't happy with what that implied.

So it is possible to do monetisation well, but one of the things Jim is absolutely right about is how disgusting it is for $60 games to then add microtransactions and freemium economies on top of what you've already paid for the game and the dlc. In particular stuff like FIFA. EA always try to justify it by saying they need the money, but most of that money goes into their profits and advertising and all the usual corporate bullshit.

Destiny is going free-to-play in October, and I'm pretty sure they're going to gently caress it up - so far they've been happy for everyone to blame the monetisation on activision, but it remains to be seen how they'll implement f2p, and how/if they'll remunerate players who bought the game, dlc and season pass while they were all paid content.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I'd probably add as a corollary that big budget games are poo poo for the money. I could buy a lot more games and get a lot more value from smaller devs than I could keeping up with AAA titles.

Very fair.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plus I'd rather honestly give money to smaller devs than to psycho mc nonceface or whoever runs EA.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, there’s been such a big backlash against microtransactions and lootboxes in AAA games that if anything I think they’re on the way out in games that aren’t explicitly free-to-play. Like how Shadow of War was full of that poo poo and then they actually took it all out in a patch.

Every few years there’s some new fad that the corporations seize on and everyone worries that maybe this will be all games are now. Like casual games, or subscription MMOs, or Facebook games, or f2p mobile games. But while these things never go entirely away, eventually the bubble bursts and people keep making big single player experiences because there’s still a market for them, and probably always will be.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I guess that's the problem with publisher driven companies is that they're going to try and turn everything into 'games as service' bullshit because that's where the most money is.

But you can still make enough money to run a small studio making single player games, you just won't make the kind of money that attracts ridiculous sums from investors.

What's interesting is that right now it's the console makers that tend to be funding the single player AAA games, your gears of war and spider mans (men?) and Microsoft buying up studios like Obsidian. I guess i wonder if they can see the shitstorm that's coming from the market collapsing into a heap of exploitative poo poo, and they need to make sure that if that happens players still have games to buy.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I've deliberately kept a few years of lag on my video game purchases, so I end up choosing what to play with the benefit of hindsight and it's all cheaper. I got the Witcher 3 last year with all the expansions for 15 quid and it's given me like 500 hours worth of gameplay so far, and will probably give me more- still haven't done my new game plus run.

Every now and then I'll just pop into cex and pick up something 3 or 4 years old I wanted to play when it came out but never did for like a fiver. Am I gently caress paying 60 quid for the latest asscreed when I get pretty much the same game for a fraction of the price, just two years older.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ironically the latest AssCreed is by far the best one ever and Kassandra is more powerful, and more lesbian, than I can put to words.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the only asscreed I played was 2 and I didn't particularly like it, or understand it. Something something it's a mee, ezio, something something magic apple something borgia bad I got bored and fell asleep,.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I think the only asscreed I played was 2 and I didn't particularly like it, or understand it. Something something it's a mee, ezio, something something magic apple something borgia bad I got bored and fell asleep,.

Your failure to recognize that the game is about two things and two things only shames you.

1) Hanging out with your best bro Leonardo da Vinci.
2) Fist fighting the Pope.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah I forgot he was in it.

Both of them, actually.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Coohoolin posted:

I've deliberately kept a few years of lag on my video game purchases, so I end up choosing what to play with the benefit of hindsight and it's all cheaper.

I'm in the same situation after playing almost nothing but WoW for almost 10 years.

I'm currently playing Bioshock.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Coohoolin posted:

I've deliberately kept a few years of lag on my video game purchases, so I end up choosing what to play with the benefit of hindsight and it's all cheaper. I got the Witcher 3 last year with all the expansions for 15 quid and it's given me like 500 hours worth of gameplay so far, and will probably give me more- still haven't done my new game plus run.

Every now and then I'll just pop into cex and pick up something 3 or 4 years old I wanted to play when it came out but never did for like a fiver. Am I gently caress paying 60 quid for the latest asscreed when I get pretty much the same game for a fraction of the price, just two years older.

I mean this is pretty common among people who have self-restraint. But even if you are dead excited about a game and have to buy it when it comes out there's merit in waiting a couple of weeks for the most egregious bugs to be fixed.

The only thing you miss out on is discovering something new along with others who are as hyped about it as you are. Sometimes that's an important factor.

Having played the hell out of Cultist Simulator (which started out as research because I was looking at applying for a job with Weather Factory) I went and bought Sunless Sea and the expansion and I'm enthralled. Between all the free add-on content they've released and Zubmariner there is apparently an endless cascade of stuff to do. I'm on my sixth captain and getting close to uncovering the whole map for the first time. My last guy got sunk by frigging parrots.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 27, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Miftan posted:

While I appreciate you drowning your sorrows in 90s sitcoms, you should probably focus up because the world is ending.

Focus up for what? That sounds like a contradictory statement.

I ask because I drown my sorrows by *checks notes* sitting at home on weekends.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Reveilled posted:

Some of this stuff actually seems quite poetic.

I put in some stuff yesterday about the prime minister declaring gay communism and one of the lines was, "the winners will go to the schools, the losers will go to the hospitals" which still haunts me a little

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Tarnop posted:

I'm in the same situation after playing almost nothing but WoW for almost 10 years.

I'm currently playing Bioshock.

I think you’re confused, you should be playing Classic now.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Sunless Skies is good but the prose doesn't have quite the same shade of purple as Seas, since Kennedy isn't with Failbetter any more for shagging his employees meeting his life partner and going on to create top-notch deckbuilder Cultist Simulator, which is worth winning at least once.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Ms Adequate posted:

Ironically the latest AssCreed is by far the best one ever and Kassandra is more powerful, and more lesbian, than I can put to words.

Oddysey is awesome and Kassandra is loving awesome (and also the only character you should ever play).

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

“Just so you know, in my view Pluto is a planet,” he said. “You can write that the Nasa administrator declared Pluto a planet once again. I’m sticking by that, it’s the way I learned it and I’m committed to it.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/pluto-planet-nasa-space-a9079651.html

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Diet Crack posted:

“Just so you know, in my view Pluto is a planet,” he said. “You can write that the Nasa administrator declared Pluto a planet once again. I’m sticking by that, it’s the way I learned it and I’m committed to it.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/pluto-planet-nasa-space-a9079651.html

No-one ever cares about Ceres :saddowns:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why not also call Eris a planet and resolve the debate that way? More inclusivity for planet status.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Deprecate the term planet and come up with more robustly defined nomenclature for use when precision is required. The original 9 get to stay planets and that's it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Why not also call Eris a planet and resolve the debate that way? More inclusivity for planet status.

Eris is actually the reason for the whole reopening of "What is a planet?" debate. Just her throwing a big golden apple with the words, "Te Planḗtēs", and then something something Trojan war. Probably.

Maugrim posted:

Deprecate the term planet and come up with more robustly defined nomenclature for use when precision is required. The original 9 get to stay planets and that's it.

That's actually part of the problem. Actually defining a planet as opposed to a moon, asteroid or dwarf-planet. Also, there's far more than the "original 9"; go back far enough, and the sun and moon are planets. You have the asteroids, Ceres, Vesta, Juno, etc. There's not currently a clear-cut definition that satisfies everyone.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 27, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!

Maugrim posted:

Why not go for 7? "The seven non-fixed astronomical objects in the sky visible to the naked eye" is just as valid an exclusionary term as "something something hydrostatic equilibrium."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The big game devs realised they could "make more money" by becoming predatory gambling firms advertised to children, in much the same way that Apple have realised they can "make more money" by becoming a predatory lending firm. Capitalism is crisis.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Buy these £50 gloves that you can never actually wear!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

That's not a resolution though? with all the kuiper crap out there we'll end up with any number of variants of mass, volume and inclination to the invariable plane. madness i say

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The single best f2p game with ethical microtransactions is Path of Exile. Absolutely none of the stuff you can pay for give you an edge in terms of gameplay; it's all either cosmetic stuff, or permanent upgrades to your stash size that lasts through every ladder reset.

Plus the game is a shitload of fun so it actually feels worth it when you drop £5 on a couple of stash tabs after you've played for 2000 hours.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Why not go for 7? "The seven non-fixed astronomical objects in the sky visible to the naked eye" is just as valid an exclusionary term as "something something hydrostatic equilibrium."

BRB, gonna petition NASA to rerecognise Sol and Luna as planets. :science:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!

with light pollution, smog and eye disease we'll have five planets by the end of this century. madness i say

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pesky Splinter posted:

BRB, gonna petition NASA to rerecognise Sol and Luna as planets. :science:

Moon:
Volume 2.1958×1010 km3
Mass 7.342×1022 kg
Mean density 3.344 g/cm3

Pluto:
Volume 7.057±0.004×109 km3 (0.325 of moon)
Mass 1.303±0.003×1022 kg (0.177 of moon)
Mean density 1.854±0.006 g/cm3 (0.554 of moon)

oh look we dropped somewhere between one sixth and half a moon beyond neptune, better call it a planet because an american found it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
And if that's somehow not convinced you, just look at this:

can't argue with orbits now, can you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

with light pollution, smog and eye disease we'll have five planets by the end of this century. madness i say
That's a good reason to go for non-fixed astronomical objects in the sky visible to the naked eye, we can use it to fight smog and light pollution and promote ocular health.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Apraxin posted:

Welcome to Brexit Britain, the proudest nation on earth.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanDuncanMP/status/1165604968675663872
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanDuncanMP/status/1165605580624551936
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanDuncanMP/status/1165606757579788288
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanDuncanMP/status/1165607601972883456
Greetings fellow human, can I interest you in some delicious :byodood:MELTON MOWBRAY MELTONMOWBRAYMELTONMELTONMOWBRAYYYYYYYYYY:byodood: pork pies?

Uh, this. This isn't a joke? This is serious? This person thinks that writing this makes them seem sane and not a complete C-SPAM Mod?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Ed. VI's Treason Act seems to imply that every single felony signed off by Henry VIII was removed entirely, that sounds far more broad than just removing some criminal laws, was that not the case?

Felonies are solely criminal law by definition, and indeed only for the most serious offences - the ones that either get you executed or the entirety of your property confiscated. Most crimes were misdemeanours.

It's a small subset of Henry's criminal legislation and by definition doesn't include any of his civil legislation, was my point. While you were coming into this with 'each king repealed everything their predecessor did' which is a ludicrous exaggeration.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 27, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Does anyone else have a sudden urge to play Kerbal?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ratjaculation posted:

Does anyone else have a sudden urge to play Kerbal?

My daughter has 'space' as her next term topic, so I've just dusted it off and played a bit with her up to a moon landing. Splurged on the new DLC cos it gives more stuff to do when you land somewhere, and she loves just exploring stuff so next task will be a rover.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My favourite bullshit microtransaction is the $170 axe in Apex Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a9a4bLQeGk

Note that that's $170 minimum because it requires buying $160 worth of random loot boxes and getting each of the unique weapons each time and then spending the final $10 on the axe. In reality you're probably spending at least double that and getting the same loving weapon over and over again.

(One thing that confuses me is that he says the boxes are $7 a go and you end up spending $160 on them - that's... not a number divisible by 7.)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

My point was just that we can keep "planet" as a colloquial term - and popular/historical consensus can define what falls into that category - and use a more rigorously defined descriptive set of terms for scientific applications. Why bother trying to give "planet" such a rigorous definition at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

My favourite bullshit microtransaction is the $170 axe in Apex Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a9a4bLQeGk

Note that that's $170 minimum because it requires buying $160 worth of random loot boxes and getting each of the unique weapons each time and then spending the final $10 on the axe. In reality you're probably spending at least double that and getting the same loving weapon over and over again.

(One thing that confuses me is that he says the boxes are $7 a go and you end up spending $160 on them - that's... not a number divisible by 7.)

He probably didn't want to say $161 because it doesn't flow as well.