Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

do they practice 'sounding' in bangkok? cuz i'm pretty sure that's where the thumper idea came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Are all sci fi authors dreadful old pervs? Asimov could be gross in person, apparently, and HG Wells married his cousin. I really liked Peter F Hamilton's stuff in high school, but eventually noticed his habit of including 1 (one) hot fourteen year old per novel...
Maybe it's just old white dudes that are awful.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

No dice, Samuel Delany was and probably still is a fuckin weirdo

Oh yeah, and not just dudes either, Marion Zimmer Bradley was an honest-to-god pedo who molested her children.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It wasn’t until I got older that I realized what a perv Clarke could be, he was (and still is) one of my favourite sci fi writers but god drat.

By the time he got to writing 3001 it was just throwing ideas at a wall along with commentary about circumcision.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Clarke wrote Childhood's End. He is beyond reproach.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

phasmid posted:

:agreed: that and Songs of Distant Earth are stone cold classics.

Shame about the Childhood’s end miniseries though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

priznat posted:

:agreed: that and Songs of Distant Earth are stone cold classics.

Shame about the Childhood’s end miniseries though.

Yeah. That was...let's call it mis-ambitious. At first I was so stoked though, with Charles Dance as Karellen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

phasmid posted:

Yeah. That was...let's call it mis-ambitious. At first I was so stoked though, with Charles Dance as Karellen.

It did have its moments like I did actually enjoy the bits where they left earth.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

This seems like a setup to a joke.

Sardaukar? I hardly knew 'ar!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tree Bucket posted:

Are all sci fi authors dreadful old pervs? Asimov could be gross in person, apparently, and HG Wells married his cousin. I really liked Peter F Hamilton's stuff in high school, but eventually noticed his habit of including 1 (one) hot fourteen year old per novel...
I feel like Niven's sexual politics aren't great but he wasn't horny over stuff. Pournelle is a different story.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Sardaukar? I hardly knew 'ar!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dune dune dune dune, dune dune dune DUNE

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

priznat posted:

It wasn’t until I got older that I realized what a perv Clarke could be, he was (and still is) one of my favourite sci fi writers but god drat.

By the time he got to writing 3001 it was just throwing ideas at a wall along with commentary about circumcision.

A friend of mine went to Sri Lanka to interview Clarke some decades ago. He says there was a very weird vibe there with the house teeming with pubescent boy “servants”. Nothing definite, but very, very suspicious and unsettling

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

[Imperial throne room]

Me: [chanting] dune, dune-

Other sardaukar: dune, DUNE

navigator: [pounding his tank] DUNE, DUNE, DUNE!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

A friend of mine went to Sri Lanka to interview Clarke some decades ago. He says there was a very weird vibe there with the house teeming with pubescent boy “servants”. Nothing definite, but very, very suspicious and unsettling

Was about to make this very same post (though think my friend was just a fan travelling through). That was the 90s and from this perspective it seems there used to be a more blase' yep everyone knows but whatever attitude.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

I feel like Niven's sexual politics aren't great but he wasn't horny over stuff. Pournelle is a different story.

Did you read that part in one of the Ringworld sequels where all the various humanoid species had to survive a sexvampire onslaught by loving each other to overcome the horny-pheromones the vampires exude to entice and capture prey?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Operation Impending Dune

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Did you read that part in one of the Ringworld sequels where all the various humanoid species had to survive a sexvampire onslaught by loving each other to overcome the horny-pheromones the vampires exude to entice and capture prey?
:hmmyes: fair enough

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Welp, I just got to the part in Heretics where Duncan Idaho defeats an Honored Matres in a sex duel because he was secretly programmed by the Bene Tleilax to be a stealth sex weapon.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Welp, I just got to the part in Heretics where Duncan Idaho defeats an Honored Matres in a sex duel because he was secretly programmed by the Bene Tleilax to be a stealth sex weapon.
I just got to that part too, in my nightly-read-time-before-bed-instead-of-watching-tv, and I think I'm going to blame this thread for me noticing the sex scene for the first time.
Which, incidentally, turns out to actually work when it comes being able to fall asleep better. Who would've thunk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vlex posted:

[Imperial throne room]

I appreciate this post

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

That is the only book I have ever simultaneously hated and loved.

A brief search about Robert Heinlein shows everybody thought he was a weirdo sex guy as a writer but none of that seemed to surface in his personal behavior?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Worse of'em all was of course Philip K. Dick, what with his alter ego "Horselover Fat".

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Childhood's End is great.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

phasmid posted:

Ending boys' childhoods is uh kind of what he's suspected of :aatrek:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

To be fair, Heinlein was a sex weird in perspective to his own time. In TYOOL 2019, year of the Polycule, Heinleins views are rather normal.

Even Stranger in a Strange Land isn't so weird anymore.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 27, 2019

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm in a polycule and i don't wanna be likened to Heinlein over it please!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't compare me to one of the most famous and successful sci fi authors ever due to my unorthodox sexual arrangement that I had to mention in what might be an attempt at a humble brag

Sorry I mean "do you think Larry Niven ever sucked two dicks at once?"

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Can we just agree that Old Man Herbert was simply a horndog and should not be pigeonholed with actual sex criminals.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Don't read a brag that isn't there, i just regard heinlein as a weirdo and im not a fan of his at all. I just didn't want to think of myself in the same light just for engaging in non-monogamy

Sorry if it seemed like something funnier or more hostile or whatever i was just repulsed at the comparison

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah Hamilton was weird with that poo poo, can't remember if he's still doing it with his latest.

I think maybe Alastair Reynolds hasn't gone full perv. Not yet anyway.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Worse of'em all was of course Philip K. Dick, what with his alter ego "Horselover Fat".

Thank you for bringing up Horselover Fat. To be fair, he was bad in a different way from the usual "pervy old man" self-insert. Horselover was bad because he was incomprehensible. PKD must have felt like he was totally dunking on the reader by writing a trilogy full of references to Gnosticism and numerology, but in practice, it's no different from reading the unpublishable scraps they compiled into "Exegesis of Philip K. Dick."

On the positive side: Horselover has a great, lifesaving interaction with his psychiatrist in the beginning of VALIS. VERY long story short, the psychiatrist tells Horselover, "you are the expert," and Horselover's will to live is restored.

I suspect PKD was longing for somebody to say, we love you PKD! You are smart! Nobody knows more about archaic religious beliefs than you!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Riot Bimbo posted:

Don't read a brag that isn't there, i just regard heinlein as a weirdo and im not a fan of his at all. I just didn't want to think of myself in the same light just for engaging in non-monogamy

Sorry if it seemed like something funnier or more hostile or whatever i was just repulsed at the comparison
If it helps, I think we're all weirdos.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"So, uh, sir, do you want your senior discount?" the barista inquired

"The geriatric discount??"

"Uh, yeah, so that's ten cents off..."

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Ramc posted:

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Vlex posted:

Can we just agree that Old Man Herbert was simply a horndog and should not be pigeonholed with actual sex criminals.

I put him in the same category as Roger Ebert. Good man, just has an overwhelming love for various body parts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Vlex posted:

[Imperial throne room]

Dune by dawn

Dune by dawn

Dune by DAWN!

DUNEBYDAWN DUNEBYDAWN DUNEBYDAWN

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ramc posted:

Deals within deals...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Posting because it should be posted occasionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcgft-iiZ_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

All this talk about the typical sci-fi author being a weirding lay makes me think... What genre fiction has the most virtous authors?

THE BAR posted:

I put him in the same category as Roger Ebert. Good man, just has an overwhelming love for various body parts.

Who doesn't like a timely thumb.