Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BARBECUE TIME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
This is how you play Air Raider, right?

https://i.imgur.com/ERQDmAW.mp4

It's so tempting to buy those anime decoys that sing just so I can pull off useless poo poo like this, but if I can't launch them at enemies like in 4.1 it's probably not worth it

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 18, 2019

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've already said it before, but I must reiterate how much I love the harder difficulty levels. Usually, games force you to do more with less, but EDF asks you to do more with more. Imagine my surprise when I got to Cave Invasion Final Stage on Hardest and the game pulled the ultimate dick move.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

HolyKrap posted:

This is how you play Air Raider, right?

https://i.imgur.com/ERQDmAW.mp4

It's so tempting to buy those anime decoys that sing just so I can pull off useless poo poo like this, but if I can't launch them at enemies like in 4.1 it's probably not worth it
You can attach singing decoys to enemies and your friends. It can even make them unable to attack because a decoy is blocking their shots. Both packs are worth it.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

EDF EDF EDF!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I called a Barga during the Silver Man fight and punched him in the head. He acted like it was no big deal.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

I'm stuck on Destroy the Base. The laser spam just becomes too much. What's a good mission to grind out weapons/armor?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

haunted bong posted:

I'm stuck on Destroy the Base. The laser spam just becomes too much. What's a good mission to grind out weapons/armor?

What class and difficulty? Is there even such a mission? Which number?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

What class and difficulty? Is there even such a mission? Which number?

Mission 31, Normal. Mostly playing as Fencer, with a few dips into Ranger and Wing Diver

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

haunted bong posted:

Mission 31, Normal. Mostly playing as Fencer, with a few dips into Ranger and Wing Diver

The beach mission which was crimson in 4.1 comes before iirc, red ants only.

Also consider taking another class. I think ranger with a sniper and ar could be better in that mission

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

haunted bong posted:

You just need to survive for a bit and let the friendlies take the brunt of it. There actually is an ambulance among the allies further into the mission which you can use to heal yourself. I've only ever played Ranger, so I'm not sure how hard this mission is with other classes.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

haunted bong posted:

You will definitely want to just back away from the start of the mission. Don't get underneath the base at any point, just stay away and let the NPCs tank the attack. Bring long range weapons so you can help shoot the drones and frog soldiers. Once you have met the snipers, just head over to the heavy tanks and stay a bit of a distance behind them for most of the rest of the mission.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I always shoot out every gun on the base before doing any real fighting. Those are the worst things in the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haunted bong posted:

That's too bad, because Air Raider can spawn-camp the teleport hatch with Spritefalls and clear out any destructible turrets with gunship machineguns. They'll all pass through the body of the base and other large ships, so they can strike anything on the underside.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

haunted bong posted:

This guy did it with a Shield / Hand Cannon and a Shield / Lock On Missile pair, but don't know if the selection on Normal is quite as effective as this Inferno loadout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9MsBgJfKCU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

This guy did it with a Shield / Hand Cannon and a Shield / Lock On Missile pair, but don't know if the selection on Normal is quite as effective as this Inferno loadout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9MsBgJfKCU
I don't recall what weapon loadout I used with Fencer on Hard, but I did have a shield and that long-range hand cannon. The other weapon mix was probably something to let me dash jump-move quickly.

As mentioned earlier, with Fencer on this mission be on the lookout for your EDF allies and have them attach to you. Then the enemy will focus their guns on your colleagues instead of you

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

I beat it, after grinding out some Air Raider weapons. Spritefall is...uh, something

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haunted bong posted:

I beat it, after grinding out some Air Raider weapons. Spritefall is...uh, something

The creator of this weapon must be a genius!

Just wait until you see Heavy Bomber Phobos Plan 4.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 25, 2019

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Phobos ain't got poo poo on OOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO! HOHOHOHOHOHO!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
incoming mods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NUY3yyZ_Q

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

This is the reason to get a 16-core CPU.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Played straight through on vacation with no internet, on normal (with cheeky stops on hard to cheese pillbugs for weapons 20+ levels ahead) using Fencer, after picking it up from watching Time Warrior streams. I think my experience was not really the intended one.

I do not do defense. No shields ever, just as much alpha strike power as possible to take things down. I usually ran a spear (mostly Blasthole, late Jackhammer and twin spears) with a Shotgun and the other set being a missile launcher and something else, either a mortar or a hand cannon, unfortunately usually he mortar. I really didn't have much trouble with some of the things that were supposed to be hard, especially boss introductions, since my first instinct was to jump up to them and spear/shotgun them to death, and it usually worked pretty drat well. Terrain could be mostly ignored since I could jump over it or dash-jump half a block in a couple seconds. Many missions went totally pear shaped only for me to kite the enemies around a city block shooting missiles to thin their numbers and come out on top.

I really do regret my choices though, especially for Anti-Air missions, since a mortar is not a good weapon for dealing with Tadpoles at all.

On the other hand, since I started with the terrifying power of the Fencer, I don't actually know how to use the other classes. What the general idea is for each, what weapons are useful and which are a trashfire. How to move and fight with them if I can't just flip out and cross a hundred meters to erase a big threat or get to safety.

I might just need to finally get online capability to play this online in a while, it was pretty drat fun.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Ranger mostly just needs a shotgun (usually a slaughter/monsoon) and something with range, some kind of AR usually or a sniper if you're fighting Deroys or other stuff that tends to be further away. The occasional reverser on maps with little healing or flame jets for cave maps, although most of the weapons are pretty decent so it's really hard to go wrong. The real comedy option is to bring bombs and the motorbikes and suicide it into enemies.

WD should mostly stick to knife-fighting weapons like the Rapier/Phalanx/Lances/Stardust Cannon; a Gleipnir or an Anti-air diffuser can be useful for maps where there's a ton of flying enemies. Long range your options are mostly the heavy plasma cannons or the Raijin, a lot of the other WD weapons are pretty hot trash (especially the closed lasers and mag blaster). Bolt shooter and lightning crossbow can be useful too, I occasionally use the latter for cave missions.

Air Raider you usually want to bring some kind of recharging call-in like autocannon/minigun then fill the remaining two with phobos/spritefall/bulge laser to taste. Nyxes are my usual choice for vehicles but some of the faster vehicles are useful on occasion.

Those are just my general suggestions though, you should also just try out stuff that seems cool; the game doesn't really get super difficult until Hardest or Inferno (or the DLC maps).

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 28, 2019

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

After all that... barely any loot.

As is tradition.

:hai:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That is definitely a proper way to mod EDF :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

RoyalScion posted:

Ranger mostly just needs a shotgun (usually a slaughter/monsoon) and something with range, some kind of AR usually or a sniper if you're fighting Deroys or other stuff that tends to be further away. The occasional reverser on maps with little healing or flame jets for cave maps, although most of the weapons are pretty decent so it's really hard to go wrong. The real comedy option is to bring bombs and the motorbikes and suicide it into enemies.

WD should mostly stick to knife-fighting weapons like the Rapier/Phalanx/Lances/Stardust Cannon; a Gleipnir or an Anti-air diffuser can be useful for maps where there's a ton of flying enemies. Long range your options are mostly the heavy plasma cannons or the Raijin, a lot of the other WD weapons are pretty hot trash (especially the closed lasers and mag blaster). Bolt shooter and lightning crossbow can be useful too, I occasionally use the latter for cave missions.

Air Raider you usually want to bring some kind of recharging call-in like autocannon/minigun then fill the remaining two with phobos/spritefall/bulge laser to taste. Nyxes are my usual choice for vehicles but some of the faster vehicles are useful on occasion.

Those are just my general suggestions though, you should also just try out stuff that seems cool; the game doesn't really get super difficult until Hardest or Inferno (or the DLC maps).
Rangers will end up with Minion Busters. You don't want to fight red colonists up close, especially on Hardest.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I don't get the praise for shotguns. They hit really hard, sure, but you need to be really close for that to be effective and anywhere upwards of Hard you do NOT want to be close to anything. Not to mention the rather slow fire rate and long reload time, depending on the model. By the time you start getting something better, they give you rifles with penetration in case you really need that.

They are probably good in multi in specific situations, but for solo it's a waste of a slot.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Shotgun/rocket launcher is a good Ranger combo, the shotty can shred stuff up close and the rockets are a versatile pick for range and splash damage. Go with a fast firing, fast reloading rocket launcher with a lower blast radius so you can defend yourself when reloading the shotty. Get used to to swapping back and forth between weapons to optimize reloads, if a gun has a 1 second cooldown between shots that's 1 second you could be spending reloading your other weapon.

Wing Diver is the best class but a lot of her stuff seems real bad if you don't know what you're doing. It's a good idea to equip at least one weapon with it's own energy pool as you can still fire during emergency recharge. Rapiers are a very good fall back option, very easy to stunlock everything in front of you while you wait for the bar to fill. Emergency mode fills your energy meter much faster than normal, so don't be afraid of overheating if you're in a good position. Lasers are trash, don't bother with them. Get in as close as possible and don't be afraid to run away if things get hairy.
Movement wise, always be dashing. Side dashing is the fastest way to get around, but the forward dash is fine if you want to see where you're going. You can cover a huge amount of horizontal distance with dashes alone for basically no energy loss (depending on your core you might even gain more energy than the dash costs during it's cooldown). Also doing sick nasty side dodges out of the way of enemy projectiles is encouraged. The Stardust Cannon is the best WD weapon, devastating up close and while it's not so devastating at range it can hit stuff from a decent distance and its spread means you can plink away at entire groups of enemies at once. Just be aware that you don't always need a full charge and if you fire it point blank you will die. If you're too close to an enemy backdash before releasing for safety and style.
Also you're on box duty if you play online.

I have no Air Raider tips because I am bad at Air Raider.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Blattdorf posted:

I don't get the praise for shotguns. They hit really hard, sure, but you need to be really close for that to be effective and anywhere upwards of Hard you do NOT want to be close to anything. Not to mention the rather slow fire rate and long reload time, depending on the model. By the time you start getting something better, they give you rifles with penetration in case you really need that.

They are probably good in multi in specific situations, but for solo it's a waste of a slot.
Sorry to hear you're bad at shotguns.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

I don't get the praise for shotguns. They hit really hard, sure, but you need to be really close for that to be effective and anywhere upwards of Hard you do NOT want to be close to anything.

It's true that you don't want to be near anything, but on higher difficulties enemies are so fast you don't get a choice in the matter. Might as well carry a weapon that can delete every bug 100m in front of you with one trigger pull.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When I end up using penetrating weapons, sometimes I find myself aiming more by the minimap than the crosshairs since there are so drat many corpses and bugs everywhere.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

I have no Air Raider tips because I am bad at Air Raider.

The holy trinity of Phobos, Spritefall, and Autocannon/Minigun/Vulcan will carry your team through at least 75% of situations. Swap in some cruise missiles, 120mm Neutralize Cannon, and/or a Bulge Laser if the mission is all aliens or Deroys.

Vehicles have been nerfed and you're so much stronger on foot that you hardly ever need to worry about them. I actually bring a Caliban or Grape most of the time.

Underground, you're pretty much dead weight. ZE-GUNs suck now, FZ-GUNs are an actual liability, Limpets and Depth Crawlers suck like they always have. The best I ever managed is to just bring a Guard Post, Power Post and Life Vendor, and stick them all on the Crawler for a traveling buff zone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I love me some Minion Buster, and even the more old fashioned assault rifles (The semi auto piercing one is hand cramp city with prolonged use though).

But good old shotgun frees you from being eaten faster, and do a better job ensuring shield bearers you snuck up on die the on the first pass, for example.

On that note reminding myself that (most?) shield bearers won't start to run away until they take damage, has made dealing with them a lot easier.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Shotguns are great for killing enemies rushing at you since they pretty much all have PT, and yea enemies get pretty fast on harder difficulties.

I mean, shotgunning the enemy shotgun (or laser bazooka) colonists is dangerous, but that's why you have another weapon, and then even if that still happens a fast shotgun is one of your best bets.

Ideally you would just snipe everything with a Blazer but that's a DLC1 inferno weapon.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

What's the tricks for Air Raider and dropships / shieldbearers?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Get a vehicle and kill them or use your friends.

You can also fly cruise missiles into the bottom of dropships but it's a huge hassle.

As a last resort you can use limpets but limpets are mediocre.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Using limpets is an admission of defeat as an Air Raider.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fritz posted:

What's the tricks for Air Raider and dropships / shieldbearers?

Put a Power Assist on your buddies. If it's a teleportation ship, Spritefall the open hatch to kill its spawns while everyone else attacks it. Against shieldbearers,

uhhhhh

I guess you could drive up to it in a Blacker, but you'll be taking a whole lot of fire while you try to kill it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Night10194 posted:

Using limpets is an admission of defeat as an Air Raider.
They could have made the limpet guns do three times their current damage, and they'd be almost on par with a mediocre Ranger assault rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
which makes me sad, the limpet snipers in 4.1 were at least usable with nearly instant travel times and enough damage to kill fliers and not take a completely embarrassing amount of time to kill a dropship. now they move so slow its hard to hit anything