Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

Your boss is a moron who needs to get over it

interviewing: your boss is a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boiled Water posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Boiled Water posted:

mine doesn't seem to be, so i'm karmically certain she'll be gone in a few months :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

as an unemployed scrub and now my own boss, can confirm my boss is a moron

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
First day offf the job today (I did not know how to keep the job in a way that wouldn’t poison every interview I go into)

wrt notice I took a one week vacation intending to give one week notice when I got back, but the boss cornered me before I left for vacation and asked me directly whether I was going to quit. So the notice became two weeks anyway :shrug:

Back to the interview grind

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Warming up for a whiteboard friday with a company that apparently used to give people take home(s?) but realized most candidates didn't bother.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've got plenty of friends and colleagues who outright say they'll never do any take homes regardless of how onerous they might or might not be. I've never minded as long as it's a toy problem that won't take up much time, I much prefer coding in my own time without some rear end in a top hat looking over my shoulder and examining every minutiae that goes through my head every second of the way. Maybe their take homes were one of those outsourcing real work to candidates type deals?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

I've got plenty of friends and colleagues who outright say they'll never do any take homes regardless of how onerous they might or might not be. I've never minded as long as it's a toy problem that won't take up much time, I much prefer coding in my own time without some rear end in a top hat looking over my shoulder and examining every minutiae that goes through my head every second of the way. Maybe their take homes were one of those outsourcing real work to candidates type deals?

coding with the rear end in a top hat breathing down your neck is way better

even in a perfect world, where the takehome is not an immense waste of time and energy, if you do a takehome "wrong" you'll never hear back and never get to talk it over

talking about problems and solutions is a much more valuable exercise than just proving you can, in fact, produce code from a void

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

coding with the rear end in a top hat breathing down your neck is way better

even in a perfect world, where the takehome is not an immense waste of time and energy, if you do a takehome "wrong" you'll never hear back and never get to talk it over

talking about problems and solutions is a much more valuable exercise than just proving you can, in fact, produce code from a void

I have done a couple of interview now where they do an ~hour long screenshare so you can code at home but still get to talk to them about what you are doing. They get to see how fluent you are with your own tools and see how well you communicate. Of course that's more effort than asking 100 people to do some takehome and getting the intern to checklist the ones which come back.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

On the flip side, any minor brainfart you have will be extrapolated to infinity and before you know it, you're rejected for not being a "culture fit". Interviewing is garbage.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
apparently the job I was expecting an offer for last week had an internal candidate spring up at the last moment and they will get back to me with a yes or no on thursday or friday this week after they do some interviews. not much that can be done, they have to give internal candidates a fair shake or they complain later. serves me right for being cocky though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

apparently the job I was expecting an offer for last week had an internal candidate spring up at the last moment and they will get back to me with a yes or no on thursday or friday this week after they do some interviews. not much that can be done, they have to give internal candidates a fair shake or they complain later. serves me right for being cocky though.

Not to be too pessimistic but you might want to look for something else, depending on how big the company is. For a smaller one I imagine they'd have a hard time passing on an internal candidate.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Got a new job, woop! OK figgies, less prestigous work but nicer coworkers and less stress, can fufill my dream of moving to Belize a beach somewhere in Europe. My motivation for doing work at my current one has sunk like a rock though, it's weird what a difference having another one lined up makes even though I already have my leaving date lined up.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

Not to be too pessimistic but you might want to look for something else, depending on how big the company is. For a smaller one I imagine they'd have a hard time passing on an internal candidate.

it’s about 500 people but yeah I’m realistic - internal usually means known quantity and cheaper. oh well.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
stuck on a reference check with no communication for a week. how long does this poo poo normally take. im sick of interviewing and want to start working

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

barkbell posted:

stuck on a reference check with no communication for a week. how long does this poo poo normally take. im sick of interviewing and want to start working

that reference check is code for another candidate in the pipeline that they want to compare you against.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
We just had a guy walk out on his second day.

I don't work on Monday so I don't know but he seemed like an ok guy but an hour in he said he was having hella panic attacks and couldn't handle here.

I don't get it, NOC is way way less stressful than the help desk jobs I used to have (he came from a help desk background).

:(

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Are they loving kidding me (abbreviated ad):

quote:

Embedded Software Engineer

DESCRIPTION

Successful candidates will:

Contribute to the development of a multi-threaded C++ embedded linux application for vital signs monitoring under an IEC 62304 based development lifecycle.
Work directly within an embedded linux environment
Support software QA activities by creating Unit Tests and documentation.
Prototype and develop microcontroller-based peripherals.
Work within an agile, multidisciplinary team, collaborating closely with Software, Hardware and Industrial Design colleagues.
REQUIREMENTS

Minimum Qualifications:

BA/BS in Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, related technical field OR equivalent practical experience.
Strong C/C++ programming and proficiency with programming for microcontroller targets.
Knowledge of basic electrical principles as they apply to embedded systems design.
Comfortable using DVCS tools such as Git or Mercurial.
Familiarity with common development tasks under a Linux environment including cross-compilation and shell scripting.
Excellent written and verbal communications skills.

3+ years of experience required.

quote:

All our contracts are based upon 6month FTC, with the opportunity to lead into a permanent role.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: £24,000.00 to £28,000.00 /year

This is in central Glasgow, which is not that cheap of a place to live.

The worst part is that what with being a euro unemployed around brexit I am seriously considering it, it does fit me almost perfectly but ughhh.

Even my summer internship was like £32000/year, and that was ~8 loving years ago.

e: Seriously considering pulling the plug on this garbage country, like I can make more than that back in my loving native eastern europe. And I won't be paying 700 quid a month for a studio either.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 28, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

are you interested in moving to belfast because my company is looking for people and they pay a lot more than that, also belfast is hell of cheaper than glasgow

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

jesus WEP posted:

are you interested in moving to belfast because my company is looking for people and they pay a lot more than that, also belfast is hell of cheaper than glasgow

I might be, unfortunately my partner has phd offers from Glasgow and Leeds, so that makes it preferable if I could find something here. I honestly don't know

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it really blows me away how atrocious tech salaries are in london. what the gently caress, you guys

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rex-Goliath posted:

it really blows me away how atrocious tech salaries are in london. what the gently caress, you guys

don't know what you mean, it's easy six figgies after tax

a decade

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I make more now in Canada than my old boss's boss currently does from my old company in London. It's horrendous.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Looking up the company on glassdoor they have only one relevant review:

quote:

I worked at XYZ for more than a year

Pros

Almost near to '0' pros

Cons

Bad management, bad team work, dodgy leaders. Not only me but my ex colleagues too felt like these guys from XYZ like to push responsibilities, ...

Don't currently have premium or whatever they call the paid version of GD so can't see the rest of it, but I imagine it's not very good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Private Speech posted:

Are they loving kidding me (abbreviated ad):

This is in central Glasgow, which is not that cheap of a place to live.

The worst part is that what with being a euro unemployed around brexit I am seriously considering it, it does fit me almost perfectly but ughhh.

Even my summer internship was like £32000/year, and that was ~8 loving years ago.

e: Seriously considering pulling the plug on this garbage country, like I can make more than that back in my loving native eastern europe. And I won't be paying 700 quid a month for a studio either.

And for embedded too.

I think I made that much as an intern.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Private Speech posted:

Looking up the company on glassdoor they have only one relevant review:

Don't currently have premium or whatever they call the paid version of GD so can't see the rest of it, but I imagine it's not very good.

All you need is an account in order to read all reviews and see salary data. It's 100% worth signing up for. Just use a burner email if you're paranoid

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rex-Goliath posted:

All you need is an account in order to read all reviews and see salary data. It's 100% worth signing up for. Just use a burner email if you're paranoid

I have one, but I haven't posted a salary recently I guess? It says this:

quote:

To restore your access, we ask that you contribute. Write a Review or Add a Salary.

Maybe I can make a new account instead. I guess that would work.

e: did that, here's the rest of that review:

quote:

not understanding what are they talking about and their job. Engineers are more to LAPTOP WARRIOR/ EMAIL WARRIOR then practical jobs. Emphasize more on irrelevant topics rather then finishing up the job. Having tons of unrealistic schedules that the team couldn't catch up. On the outside looks professional but really dodgy when it comes to take up responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Close the company as soon as possible

sounds like a fun place to work

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 28, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Take all Glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt. Absolutely glowing reviews often are HR plants and real lovely reviews are often self serving opinion from someone who may have just been let go.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, at my last company both the good and the bad reviews were not quite jiving with reality

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qhat posted:

Take all Glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt. Absolutely glowing reviews often are HR plants and real lovely reviews are often self serving opinion from someone who may have just been let go.

that or the position is for an internship and it's just all CAPS LOCK IT WAS A GREAT SUMMER COMPANY IS AWESOME HAHA WHAT A GREAT TIME YEAAAH :downs:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

all jobs are bad which is why you gotta enjoy the newjob honeymoon period where you mistake “different” for “better”

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So this is some unique rear end bullshit I’m going through. The person that made me the offer contacted me today and said that they put the wrong bonus percentage on the offer letter I signed. According to her my level is at a 16% bonus rather than the 20% I signed at. I’ve been working for 2.5 weeks and things are going well. This meeting was in person and nothing was written down and the “updated” offer letter was sent to my personal email instead of work email. I need to figure how to deal with this gracefully and firmly. My decision was made based on the information I initially received.

This is some bullshit and also seems like a legal situation. I don’t want to rock the waters since I’m so new but also gently caress off just eat it. The difference is 5800 bucks. Very heated right now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jesus WEP posted:

all jobs are bad which is why you gotta enjoy the newjob honeymoon period where you mistake “different” for “better”

AJAB

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KidDynamite posted:

So this is some unique rear end bullshit I’m going through. The person that made me the offer contacted me today and said that they put the wrong bonus percentage on the offer letter I signed. According to her my level is at a 16% bonus rather than the 20% I signed at. I’ve been working for 2.5 weeks and things are going well. This meeting was in person and nothing was written down and the “updated” offer letter was sent to my personal email instead of work email. I need to figure how to deal with this gracefully and firmly. My decision was made based on the information I initially received.

This is some bullshit and also seems like a legal situation. I don’t want to rock the waters since I’m so new but also gently caress off just eat it. The difference is 5800 bucks. Very heated right now.

Like, a signed and counter signed offer? The poo poo is that. This is for a yearly bonus target or like, a signing bonus?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KidDynamite posted:

The fact they sent it to your personal email is real sus but if you’re in America I don’t think you have any legal options. Who is this person, specifically? HR? Your boss?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Like, a signed and counter signed offer? The poo poo is that. This is for a yearly bonus target or like, a signing bonus?

This is the offer letter I signed to confirm I accepted the job. I have since started and been paid once.

This is the target percentage for annual bonuses being changed.

The person is the director of talent acquisition and even shadier is she had one of her subordinate skills send me the new letter I’m expected to sign.

Just a world of poo poo I don’t want to deal with but also not into getting hosed for possibly 5800 bucks

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

KidDynamite posted:

You have a copy, or at least a picture, of the letter you signed, right? With your signature on it?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

You have a copy, or at least a picture, of the letter you signed, right? With your signature on it?

Hell yeah i do

Edit: signed by the CTO too!

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tell them to suck eggs